• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Store is Closed: A Survival Horror Game That Traps You in IKEA

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the creepy trailer for upcoming online co-op survival game, The Store is Closed. Set in a furniture store that never seems to end, players will need to try to avoid the terrifying staff that lurk around the warehouse as they explore different departments.

When the lights go out and the shop shuts for the night, the staff become aggressive, so you'll need to craft weapons and build a base in order to make it out alive. However, the longer you survive, the more dangerous the employees become, and it won't be long until you're tackling managers, and worse!

The Store is Closed is available to wishlist on Steam and can be found on Kickstarter.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Holy shit I've been waiting for literally this, for a game set in infinite IKEA. It's an SCP. I'm not one of those guys who's really into SCP, I only know of like four of them (because of Containment Breach, and the only one I know the name of is "Infinite IKEA"), but this one really captured my imagination.

graywolf323

Gold Member
fun fact, my mom basically lived this once having gotten lost in IKEA so badly we had to send the staff (who were friendly since it was during store hours) to rescue her

based on the book?:

Horrorstor_final_300dpi-scaled.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ziggy, a one-man studio consisting of developer Jacob Shaw, has been told by Ikea that the shop in The Store is Closed is too similar to the Swedish firm’s real-life furniture stores.

According to the letter, which has been read and verified by Kotaku, Shaw was given 10 days to “change the game and remove all indicia associated with the famous Ikea stores”.

The game currently has a Kickstarter campaign, which has raised £53,000 – more than its £10,000 goal – with three days remaining.

The letter provided Shaw with a list of what it considers aspects that infringe on Ikea’s branding.

“Your game uses a blue and yellow sign with a Scandinavian name on the store, a blue box-like building, yellow vertical stiped shirts identical to those worn by Ikea personnel, a gray path on the floor, furniture that looks like Ikea furniture, and product signage that looks like Ikea signage,” it reads.

“All the foregoing immediately suggest that the game takes place in an Ikea store.”

In an interview with Kotaku, Shaw disputed claims that the furniture in the game “looks like Ikea furniture”.

“I bought generic furniture asset packs to make this game,” he claimed. “I don’t know what that means.”

The lawyers’ letter tells Shaw: “You can of course easily make a video game set in a furniture store that does not look like, or suggest, an IKEA store.” It adds: “You can easily make changes to your game to avoid these problems, especially since you do not plan to release the game until 2024.”

However, it also gives Shaw just “ten working days of the date of this letter” to make all its proposed changes.

Shaw said he was seeking legal advice but will likely have to give up, due to potential legal costs.

“I was going to spend the last week of my Kickstarter preparing an update for all the new alpha testers,” he explained, “but now I’ve got to desperately revamp the entire look of the game so I don’t get sued.”

Top Bottom