• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Steam Deck now runs Windows

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gonna use my steamdeck exclusively for Outlook 2016

Makes sense now to use virtual desktop on this with oculus instead. VR from steam deck is a reality. Or perhaps run an emulator front end and hook up to a TV? (ok this last one might be fun)

crumbs

No dual boot support (apparently coming later) will make it this a difficult thing to test out.

LordCBH

The Verge doesn't know shit.

Watching that dude try to play was infuriating. Bro switch to your energy weapon. Bruh quit spamming your melee button and going “oh all out of power!”

Other than that looks like it runs alright on a portable. Shame they won’t enable it to run on the actual OS it shipped with.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Watching that dude try to play was infuriating. Bro switch to your energy weapon. Bruh quit spamming your melee button and going “oh all out of power!”

Other than that looks like it runs alright on a portable. Shame they won’t enable it to run on the actual OS it shipped with.
He mentioned at the end that he doesn't play Destiny and he'd only played the tutorial level.

Point was that the sound seemed to be working fine. At the end he said with some settings or resolution tweaking you could get a pretty decent ~60fps experience right now on Windows since you can't run it on SteamOS on Deck because of the EAC.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Hezekiah

Banned
I wouldn't recommend it though, you lose some key features, and the battery drain on Windows is not pretty
That's a shame. Battery drain feels (and the current incomparability with some games which will decrease over time), feels like the main weakness not surprisingly.

Pejo

I'm going to go as long as I can without installing Windows. I've been hearing great things about Proton, and this is my first exposure to it. Great to know the option is there, though.

Shmunter

There needs to be a barebones windows kernel running a steam gui. Full windows on something like this is a horrific waste of resources.

BlackTron

This is the new best way to set up an emulation library. Handheld, TV and desk in one shot. I'm waiting until the next iteration but I can't deny the sheer utility of this thing.

DavidGzz

Awesome. I'm keeping my pre-order for sure now. I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get Battle.net on it without a workaround. Also, Game Pass. Bad ass.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Some people have something you might have heard of called Gamepass.
it was a joke post. Not to be taken seriously.

Lots of people had issues with Windows store games which I was referring to. Myself included.

I wasn't saying anything bad about gamepass.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's good that ms is testing games. They should take it a step further and have a specific gamepass app just for steam deck that auto loads the games at best steam deck settings.

Fredrik

Valve explicitly said you can dual-boot with multiple OS'es. If it's not already there as an option, it will be soon enough. The Verge are the same tards that put extra thermal paste on a water block with factory applied thermal paste already on it and boldly proclaimed, "You can never have enough thermal paste".
Can’t you just have Linux on the SSD and boot Windows from the SD card?

Either way, this is awesome, Gamepass, hobby Unity games, emulators. Q2 launch, now! Pleeease!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Valve explicitly said you can dual-boot with multiple OS'es. If it's not already there as an option, it will be soon enough. The Verge are the same tards that put extra thermal paste on a water block with factory applied thermal paste already on it and boldly proclaimed, "You can never have enough thermal paste".

Legendary video lol.

Amiga

The Verge doesn't know shit.

Dose Destiny 2 have full cross-save/play with PS5? could be my super app for SD. Can get a few minutes to tuck away at work, enough to grab my daily's and do some farm runs. To bad can't use it on the train because of always online.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Can’t you just have Linux on the SSD and boot Windows from the SD card?

Either way, this is awesome, Gamepass, hobby Unity games, emulators. Q2 launch, now! Pleeease!
This is from Valve’s own Deck FAQ:

What can you tell us about the BIOS and does it allow dual-boot?​

Multi-boot is supported - you can have multiple OSes installed and choose which one to boot into. Users will have access to the BIOS menu.

Can you boot an OS off the SD card?​

Yes, Steam Deck supports boot from microSD.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

I get that he's looking at it from the perspective of a "dummy user" buying a Switch-like device, but even Linus knows that you'd ideally set it up using KB/M and monitor, and then boot into SteamBP or Steam Deck UI. You'd also use UWPHook and custom artwork to bring in your Game Pass games to Steam.

There's plenty of reasons you'd want to use Windows, even right now. Namely, Halo Infinite and Destiny 2, plus a thousand other reasons. He'll be riding the coattails of guys like Phawx and ETA Prime, anyway. The action to get everything working well won't be happening at LTT.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

wow.
Steam deck seems like an amazing device to introduce someone into a pc gaming without pain of windows and all the issues it brings.
It is consolifying pc gaming. It is actually speaking to me lol. I don't need it though.
The price i also pretty ok for consolified pc like that. Would like a bit cheaper here in Poland but its not bad (talking only about the most expensive sku)

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Windows now works on the All-New STeam deck thanks to the new driver released by Valve!
And in this video see how well Windows 10 works on the steam deck.
we run some benchmarks like Geekbench and 3dmark, Test some PC games like Halo Infinite, Fortnite, Forza horizon 5, Dirt 5, and even Skyrim at 4k on the Steam deck.

00:00-Intro
00:15-Overview
01:47-Windows Steam Deck
03:23-Steam Deck 4k Video Out Youtube Playback Test
04:29-Steam Deck Benchmarks, Geekbench, 3dmark Time SPy
05:47-Forza Horizon 5 Windows Test Steam Deck
06:37-Halo Infinite Steam Deck
07:23-Dirt 5 Steam Deck
07:57-Fortnite Steam Deck Test
08:27-OG Skyrim 4K STeam Deck Test
08:50 Horizon 5 1080P Steam Deck external Monitor
09:12-Windows On The STeam Deck First Impressions

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Why am I not surprised that Windows is a piss-poor experience 😂

If anyone bought this thing as a Game Pass device, sounds like they made the wrong decision…
For sure losing performance from proton layer, losing thousands of incompatible games, losing some emulation is a better decision...

Top Bottom