• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

Rickyiez

That sounds like typical Kojima 4th wall breaking chicanery.
I'm glad Konami kicked him to the curb and canned the game.
PT is just a tech demo , you're crazy if you think the "puzzle" in it would make way to any possible version of a final game .

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
PT is just a tech demo , you're crazy if you think the "puzzle" in it would make way to any possible version of a final game .
History says he would absolutely do this for the final game, be it with this puzzle or another.
Kojima's galaxy-sized ego is the last thing Silent Hill needs.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to Jeux Video, director Christophe Gans revealed that he wrote the script during the Covid-19 lockdown, and that the film is unrelated to the 2006 and 2012 Silent Hill films.

“I’m working on it now,” he said (translated by VGC). “There were the Covid-19 years which finally forced us to stay home.

“I took the opportunity to write two scripts, [including] the script for a new Silent Hill movie that is totally independent from the two previous movies made and respects the way Silent Hill has evolved.”

“Most of the time, these are stand-alone stories. Silent Hill is a bit like The Twilight Zone, the fourth dimension, a place where anything and everything can happen.

“I worked on a new Silent Hill which is a Silent Hill of the year 2023 – because the film would be released next year – and not a Silent Hill as I imagined it in 2006. It is a Silent Hill for today’s audiences while being ultra respectful of the saga.

It’s not entirely clear from the interview whether Gans is confirming that the film will indeed be released in 2023, or whether he simply wrote the script with a 2023 release in mind.

“I’m aware that Silent Hill is a very big video game franchise, and a work of art in the noble sense of the word,” he added. “The people who thought up Silent Hill put a lot of their guts into it. If I know them well, they are people of great integrity.

“For me, it was important to design a Silent Hill for today’s audience. It’s clear that today’s horror movies don’t look like the horror movies of 2006, and so much the better. Not that the horror films of 2007 weren’t good, but every genre goes through an evolution.

“I’m trying to take into account what I’ve seen recently, what’s most original and amazing in horror films, and see if Silent Hill has the seeds, or even the expression of that. Silent Hill has always been an unusual game and ahead of its time.”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If anyone manages to find a good deal on Downpour on the Xbox, please bump it in the thread.

I'm only finding $70 and above on that game. Real dumb.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If anyone manages to find a good deal on Downpour on the Xbox, please bump it in the thread.

I'm only finding $70 and above on that game. Real dumb.

^scratched - you’d have to buff the disc. If you’re good at it, it’s worth it. If not, it’s not a terrible amount to lose.

^doesnt seem too bad.

I was doing a search and found some for under $40 on eBay. I’ve gotten quite a few good titles on there as well as sold on there too. Just make sure you’re buying from someone with some good reviews.

Buy a case or find a good way to repair a disc. I had to edit my first post cause I had Homecoming. You can buy the disc and case separate.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

History says he would absolutely do this for the final game, be it with this puzzle or another.
Kojima's galaxy-sized ego is the last thing Silent Hill needs.
Which history ? Did Kojima made another tech demo before PT ?

I'm not even a Kojima fans and think some of the MGS games are overrated but you seems to be straight up hating .

Last edited:

solidus12

So I’m playing silent hill on my Vita for the first time, and although the tank controls are painful, I must say that I’m in love.

Wow how the hell did I miss that game? Especially when I played 2, 3, 4 and origins.

It’s way better than shattered memories.

I’m in the school, got killed on the second floor (those creepy creatures with knives)

Is there a way to play with the analog sticks?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah, this thread got bumped today already. Good, I would have felt awkward lol.

Anyway.

Silent Hill Homecoming is on sale on Xbox right now for the first time like ever .. it's selling only for $6.50.

No BC enhancements unfortunately so it'll run as it was on 360 plus 16x AF and no tearing/FPS drops at least.

solidus12

So, I’ve stopped playing silent hill for like 10 days.

I’ve arrived at the lighthouse, went upstairs and nothing happened.

Any hints, please?

killatopak

Gold Member
Hopefully, that’s true.

I‘m not sure how credible he is about that though. I trust his Capcom takes but more skeptical about the others.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

A "retired leaker" ...
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Karamina

Neo Member
All the Silent Hill "insider" rumors are bullshit, they don't know anything about this topic and they have been feeding this troll joke since 2019. One day it's KojIProd, the next it's BluePoint, next it's JapanStudio ( RIP), then BlooberTeam and then again KojiProd :messenger_neutral:

DuskGolem, Schreier, Grubbs and Henderson knows some gaming industry secret, for sure, but if you listen to them, they know EVERYTHING !

Look how many times they announced a reveal, it's amazing to give them credit after all this circus.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Are Homecoming and Downpour good?
Homecoming is awesome and honestly my favorite in the series. People complain about the combat but I really like it. Ending is a total dud but it's a solid game with some of Yamaoka's best sound design and the atmosphere is great.

Played through it last Fall, had a damn good time. Pro Tip: the knife is OP as can be, stun locks 90% of enemies.

Fixed it.
angry season 3 GIF
6a00d83451baae69e20263e94fd1c8200b-pi

Homecoming is awesome and honestly my favorite in the series. People complain about the combat but I really like it. Ending is a total dud but it's a solid game with some of Yamaoka's best sound design and the atmosphere is great.

Played through it last Fall, had a damn good time. Pro Tip: the knife is OP as can be, stun locks 90% of enemies.
The problem with Homecoming is that the presentation is great, especially with the lighting and sound effects. It's the ability to whale on enemies to a pulp, the lack of psychological horror and messy plot that's the problem. You can consider it to your favourite, but many people consider it one of the weaker games in the series. The photograph ending is creepy though:

I stumbled on that thing at a mall in Thailand back in 2010-2011. I couldn't believe it. Played it for a bit, don't remember much but really cool to find it randomly in the wild.
There was a couple Silent Hill mobile games that were released on the Java platform. I had one or two of them on my old Nokia phone.

Pezx1bNpx1-pbHRIi2rG3fEQs4lTEsEktPJalNHLzmM.jpg
Silent_Hill_Orphan_2.png

Last edited:

No, people complain about it's unnecessary use of pyramid head and how it's pretty poorly designed. I'm sorry but even the devs refused feedback from the Konami creative director who warned them about the action path.

fart town usa

Gold Member
6a00d83451baae69e20263e94fd1c8200b-pi

The problem with Homecoming is that the presentation is great, especially with the lighting and sound effects. It's the ability to whale on enemies to a pulp, the lack of psychological horror and messy plot that's the problem. You can consider it to your favourite, but many people consider it one of the weaker games in the series. The photograph ending is creepy though:

Yea, I hear ya.

The thing with SH and myself, I've never been into it all that much though I do really enjoy the series as a whole. Homecoming is just the most fun, gameplay-wise, for me. Definitely not the best in terms of story but I just really enjoy it. One of those things.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No, people complain about it's unnecessary use of pyramid head and how it's pretty poorly designed. I'm sorry but even the devs refused feedback from the Konami creative director who warned them about the action path.
I remember those complaints too about Pyramid Head. It's a super divisive game.

I never got all that attached to SH so the misuse of the lore never really bothered me. Homecoming is what it is, not gonna argue that everyone should enjoy it but I do.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rttp-silent-hill-homecoming-knife-only-crt-edition.1611547/ - That's my RTTP from last year in case anyone wanted to read through a dedicated Homecoming thread, fun discussion.

YnABzE7.jpg
QhJPALN.jpg

MO8BxWR.jpg
6sbkt36.jpg

Y0ssarian

Banned
Both are decent games, but Downpour is easily the better of the two. Silent Hill: Homecoming isn't really that scary, though it has a good soundtrack:

Thanks frens. I have purchased both

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I remember those complaints too about Pyramid Head. It's a super divisive game.

I never got all that attached to SH so the misuse of the lore never really bothered me. Homecoming is what it is, not gonna argue that everyone should enjoy it but I do.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rttp-silent-hill-homecoming-knife-only-crt-edition.1611547/ - That's my RTTP from last year in case anyone wanted to read through a dedicated Homecoming thread, fun discussion.

YnABzE7.jpg
QhJPALN.jpg

MO8BxWR.jpg
6sbkt36.jpg

Loved Homecoming. Otherwise, an original Trilogy Stan, but Homecoming but good, bordering on tasteless exploitation horror/torture stuff. It's telling that I think the studio went on to make a licensed Saw game using the same engine? And combat was easily the best in the series, jank aside, which isn't saying a lot because Silent Hill as a series has never used combat as a selling point, but still. The anthology fan in me digs when a franchise can put out different flavors of the same thing, recognizable as the same thing, so long as it ISN'T the same thing and has a soul.

Fools idol

Banned
Downpour isn't near the same universe in quality of Sh2 but it is criminally underrated. Atmosphere was good, genuinely creepy and scary at times.

Krathoon

Here is the thing about Pyramid Heads. Pyramid Heads are part of the town's history. They were the town executioners.
Therefore, they can show up in Homecoming.

I know the original creator does not like that, but it works on paper.
He wants it to be just for James, but they established in the story that they are a part of the town.

They are the town's way of punishing people.

You could say that James's guilt woke them up.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty terrible outside of the intro segment and the radio station building.
Downpour is god awful. First of all the monster designs are a joke, the combat sucks and is a huge focus of the game, the story is going for the same general concept as SH2 but executed on very poorly, some of the endings contradict the entire point of the scenario including the best ending... also the mailman character is lame. Wooooooo~ I'm a spoooooky post maaannn~ I deliver mail and I'm a ghooooooost~ fuck off. It's so lame. The town (as a mysterious spiritual/magical/satanic/whatever entity) sending people mail via a literal mailman is so hacky. same deal with the part where the town has trapped a radio host and forced him to run the radio show... foreverrrrr~ wooooooooooo~ and then when he breaks the rules and says too much to the MC the town sends some monsters round to deal with him. Really? Is that how Silent Hill works?

The otherworld design is at least original for a Silent Hill game but it's not scary and has no atmosphere, because it's ultimately a zany abstract level that you run through while being chased by a floating void that is there solely because the devs liked Shattered Memories and wanted there to be chases, but they didn't want it to be too much effort with actual monsters chasing you.

Top Bottom