• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Finished SH2 EE and wanted to play SH3 on PC. But seems that Windows defender is detecting one dll injector I should install as part of the Steam006 mod and won't allow me to install it. Even if I allow exceptions in defender. Any way to circumvent this?

I'd love a SH3 EE modpack to be released down the line.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished SH2 EE and wanted to play SH3 on PC. But seems that Windows defender is detecting one dll injector I should install as part of the Steam006 mod and won't allow me to install it. Even if I allow exceptions in defender. Any way to circumvent this?

I'd love a SH3 EE modpack to be released down the line.

SH3 PCSX2 is probably the best bet in the mean time.

I'm gonna try and dabble into the EE for the first time myself, have been holding my PS2 copy via PCSX2 as the golden standard till now.

Krathoon

There is a mod manager for SH3. It is called Reloaded II.
If you use the mods in the mod manager, it does not have the virus check problem on the injector.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

No ya dumbasses, it's not so much have been a rumor either.

idiocracy-test.gif

Krathoon

Oh no. The tread is turning into animated gifs.

Really, the idea of Silent Hill reacting to people's dark secrets is a theme they should continue.

It is this supernatural place that feeds on the ugly things that you have done.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I don't remember if the cult is responsible for the town being the way it is or not.
I need to find a site that has all the lore.
Does the Origins game get into that?

Really, Kojima should have made Silent Hills. He was the perfect person to supply the weirdness.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I don't remember if the cult is responsible for the town being the way it is or not.

Really, Kojima should have made Silent Hills. He was the perfect person to supply the weirdness.
I think its the cults doing.

Oh no. The tread is turning into animated gifs.

Really, the idea of Silent Hill reacting to people's dark secrets is a theme they should continue.

It is this supernatural place that feeds on the ugly things that you have done.
Yes and apparently in the next Silent Hill the worst thing the main character did in her 25 years of her life was sticking post-its all over her co-workers monitors…

Krathoon

Also, the town causes awful people in it's history to resurface, like Pyramid Head.
The town has a dark past that seems to churn back up. That is a common theme with paranormal places.

Krathoon

Yes and apparently in the next Silent Hill the worst thing the main character did in her 25 years of her life was sticking post-its all over her co-workers monitors…
You have to fight enemies made out of post-it notes and office equipment. Some enemies look like tormented versions of her co-workers.

Krathoon

Really, the PC version of SH3 is already pretty sharp. Just use the Reloaded II mod manager to load up the mods.
The mods are on mod DB. You have to dig around a bit. It is not totally straightforward.
There is the audio mod and the version of the widescreen mod to be used with the audio mod.

It also looks good in PCSX2. The is a little graphic glitch in the inventory menu with the widescreen patch. There is supposed to be a little picture of the screen in the corner. That gets corrupted sometimes.

That is kind of the annoying thing about PCSX2. It is kind of hacky. Someday, they will get it to accurately emulate things.

They got the guy that worked on Duckstation working on it now. So, he may fix up some things. I assume it is a guy. Who knows?

Last edited:

kunonabi

I hope the new Silent Hill isn’t main story (cult) related, but a “monster of the week”, like Silent Hill 2, unrelated to the cult story.
Yes, because that has worked out so well up till this point.

There was already a power there the cult just managed to corrupt it.

Origins is just a series of contradictions that doesnt line up with anything. It's best to skip it.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The monsters and Otherworld come from somewhere. I assume it is wherever the cult's "God" is from twisting things.

It is really doubtful their god is to bring about paradise. It is like the cult is blind to what is really going on.

Killer8

In terms of the best way to play these games (the TRUE SILENT HILL EXPERIENCE lmao), this would be my recommendation:

Silent Hill 1 - Duckstation emulator is very nice, especially with a widescreen patch. Works very well on PC and Xbox. Playing the PS Store version on a Vita OLED screen under the covers is also nice.
Silent Hill 2 - Enhanced Edition on PC all the way. Play it on an OLED TV if you can.
Silent Hill 3 - PC version is very good. Be sure to install the essential improvements listed on the PC Gaming Wiki to fix some sound issues.
Silent Hill 4 - I would say PS2 is king in terms of graphics. The PC version maybe looks better, but it's missing some content. PCSX2 is an excellent way to play if you want it in HD/4K.
Silent Hill: Origins - absolutely play on a Vita OLED if you can. There is something special about playing this game portable as intended. It really is a full blown SH on a handheld.
Silent Hill: Homecoming - PC version with 'Unknownproject's Patch' found on the PC Gaming Wiki. That's enough to fix everything wrong with the port. Can buy the game on Steam.
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Dolphin version looks fantastic and most issues have been worked out now. You can even play with a real Wiimote.
Silent Hill: Downpour - the game plays best on Xbox Series X back compat (you need the game disc, so it has to be Series X). Much better sound and graphics than the PS3 version and the framerate issues are fixed.
P.T. - extremely easy to jailbreak most PS4s now and install the .pkg file of the demo. Don't pay the high price to get the game pre-installed on a console.

Krathoon

Just a reminder. Downpour is no longer available on the Microsoft Store and 360 copies are getting rare online.
I just snagged one a few days ago.
I wonder if it is some kind of copyright issue since it had Korn in it.

adamsapple

In terms of the best way to play these games (the TRUE SILENT HILL EXPERIENCE lmao), this would be my recommendation:

Silent Hill 1 - Duckstation emulator is very nice, especially with a widescreen patch. Works very well on PC and Xbox. Playing the PS Store version on a Vita OLED screen under the covers is also nice.
Silent Hill 2 - Enhanced Edition on PC all the way. Play it on an OLED TV if you can.
Silent Hill 3 - PC version is very good. Be sure to install the essential improvements listed on the PC Gaming Wiki to fix some sound issues.
Silent Hill 4 - I would say PS2 is king in terms of graphics. The PC version maybe looks better, but it's missing some content. PCSX2 is an excellent way to play if you want it in HD/4K.
Silent Hill: Origins - absolutely play on a Vita OLED if you can. There is something special about playing this game portable as intended. It really is a full blown SH on a handheld.
Silent Hill: Homecoming - PC version with 'Unknownproject's Patch' found on the PC Gaming Wiki. That's enough to fix everything wrong with the port. Can buy the game on Steam.
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Dolphin version looks fantastic and most issues have been worked out now. You can even play with a real Wiimote.
Silent Hill: Downpour - the game plays best on Xbox Series X back compat (you need the game disc, so it has to be Series X). Much better sound and graphics than the PS3 version and the framerate issues are fixed.
P.T. - extremely easy to jailbreak most PS4s now and install the .pkg file of the demo. Don't pay the high price to get the game pre-installed on a console.

Just a small note for SH1.

Duckstation has a game breaking bug which causes black screen after the scene you meet Dahlia in if you have PGXP on, you need to make a save and turn it off before triggering that scene.

Killer8

Duckstation has a game breaking bug which causes black screen after the scene you meet Dahlia in if you have PGXP on, you need to make a save and turn it off before triggering that scene.

Noted, but I also don't usually play with PGXP. I like my PS1 pixels wobbly.

adamsapple

Noted, but I also don't usually play with PGXP. I like my PS1 pixels wobbly.

I found it out the hard way and then had to do some reddit detective work to find the solution lol.

I kinda like how PS1 3D games look with PGXP though, it's .. weird .. seeing them in a stable, non wobbly, state.

--

So what's everyone's head canon ending for SH2 ?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. I have been noticing Duckstation has some little quirks to it. I am starting to lean toward using Beetle HW these days.
The thing is, it is way easier to switch discs in Duckstation. You don't have to make those stupid m3u files.

I was playing through Final Fantasy 9. I noticed the game started to have allot of seams when I got to the portal at the Lifa Tree late in the game. It made me wonder if the emulation was off. I turned on PGXP.

Last edited:

Killer8

I found it out the hard way and then had to do some reddit detective work to find the solution lol.

I kinda like how PS1 3D games look with PGXP though, it's .. weird .. seeing them in a stable, non wobbly, state.

--

So what's everyone's head canon ending for SH2 ?

Some games like Gran Turismo 2 do look insane with all of the extra settings enabled. Almost like you are no longer looking at a PS1 game:

Krathoon

It looks like that pesky cult came back in later games. They are the bad guys of Homecoming and Origins.
I get the impression that the horror became more Americanized in the later games.
It became less mentally disturbing. More focused on brutality. This is weird because the developers of Origins are British and Downpour are Czech.
Homecoming is the only one that has American developers.

I don't know about that patch for Homecoming. It sounds like that game is still buggy after using it.
I will probably go with the 360 version. I may get a hard copy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

This is the first time I'm playing the Born from a Wish scenario. Only ever seen YT videos of it ages ago.

3mhj27.png

Krathoon

Homecoming is $40 on Steam. Hilarious. That buggy port is still worth that much.
It is $20 on XBox One.

I would recommended finding a cheap key on the grey market if you go for the PC version.
Edit: Yeah. You can get it for $5 on G2A. I know I sound bad for saying this, but it is a buggy port and they have not bothered to fix it.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Here is a video about fan patching Homecoming. The patch does delete your saves. Kinda annoying.
Best to patch just after installing.

I am kinda iffy about the patch. It is made by a hacker. I scanned it for viruses and it was ok.
I will check around and see if people were ok with it.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
How bad or good are the games after 2? I really enjoyed 2 last year (Yea I played the Xbox HD collection version...) and own 4 on PC, but also interested in Downpour and Shattered Memories, worth a look at?
3 is fantastic. I don't think the story is as good as SH2, but the game just nails it in every department. Graphically, mechanically, and sonically it's the best in the series. They also took a huge step up compared to 2 in terms of cinematography. And while I enjoy the plot in SH2 more, SH3 still has great characters and an enjoyable plot.

SH4 is... a mixed bag. I haven't played it in a long time. Back then I loved a lot of the things it did, but I was also critical of the re-spawning enemies and clunky combat (even by Silent Hill standards).

Origins is alright. It's pretty inoffensive, doesn't do many things wrong, and plays it very safe. It's not as creatively bankrupt as Homecoming, but it's close. It's still enjoyable, although somewhat mediocre experience. It's worth a try, but you won't miss much if you skip it. The worst thing it did was the item management in combination with the breaking weapons. Breaking weapons isn't a bad concept for a horror survival game, because it creatives some sort fear and forces you to plan and be wise with your resources... in Origins however, you can literally stack up your inventory with CRT TVs or toasters, which is A) utterly ridiculous and somewhat destroys the game's authenticity and B) nullifies the system of having breaking weapons in the first place.

Homecoming is abysmal. A definite skip. Misplaced nostalgia bait, moronic implementation of Pyramid Head, puzzles took a massive step back, the plot is boring and a huge blob of nothingness, its creatively bankrupt, the game does nothing interesting or new, and the few things that actually are new, are annoying, like the "improved" combat mechanics and the greater focus on action, the CTEs. The graphics were also very underwhelming. I hate this game with a passion and it's the number one reason for the series' sharp decline.

Shattered Memories is kinda good, but also flawed. On the positive side, I love how smooth it is to handle the flashlight with the Wii Mote, I like how they re-imagined the story of the first Silent Hill,
They essentially took the ending of SH1 where Harry dies and turned it into a full-fledged game
and it's very impressive on a technical note, and looks visually pretty neat. As far as faces, character models and animation goes, SH3 still is king, but this is still good work and much better than the HD Homecoming. On the negative side... well, the chase sequences are a mixed bag. It's not like they control poorly, unlike some others I also don't find them particularly difficult... the main problems are the linearity (which in general is a problem with the game) and the lack of mechanical depth. Those chase sequences are just a little too barebones. They could've done more, like a few more enemy types (there is essentially just one enemy, but one whose appearance changes according to the game's profile), some item management, idk. Still, I wouldn't want to miss those segments, because some of them have really interesting set pieces and some of my favorite puzzles from the game. Puzzles are either really creative and enjoyable... or gimmicky and on a level where a chimpanzee could solve them. For the most part, the puzzles are enjoyable though. I'm a little mad, that they couldn't make this instead.. an entirely original pitch, and the things I disliked about Shattered Memories were addressed. Oh well...

Downpour is decent but has technical issues and it's a jank fest. However, it also does have the best protagonist since Heather, and it does have some great ideas like turning Silent Hill into a real open world with side quests. It's also the most original SH game since SH4 and a generous attempt at moving the series forward. I'd put this over Homecoming and Origins any day of the week, even with all its jank.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Testing out some SH3 on PCSX2. Not as refined as SH2 EE but probably better than what I would be able to run Silent Hill 3 on PC (just guessing).

Krathoon

Testing out some SH3 on PCSX2. Not as refined as SH2 EE but probably better than what I would be able to run Silent Hill 3 on PC (just guessing).

Yeah. I played it for a little bit and it seems fine. I don't know if you have to use the FMV patch on the latest PCSX2.

Metalman96

For Downpour, if you have a powerful enough PC it is fully playable on RPCS3 as well.

adamsapple

This is my favorite SH3 outfit. Simple, no brand logo or any BS like that, and fits more what teens would wear rather than a hunting jacket (the default outfit)

81kjt6.png

Krathoon

Do they explain in SH3 how Harry got away with
losing a 7 year old and gaining a baby.

That is pretty suspicious.

adamsapple

Do they explain in SH3 how Harry got away with
losing a 7 year old and gaining a baby.

That is pretty suspicious.

No, but I guess the takeaway is that they (Harry and Heather) never stay in one place too long. Heather is dying her hair to hide her identity and Harry probably also used an alias.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The only downside is that the box and manuals are in Italian. (would've preferred to have it in French or English)
bummer, but if you ever sell it, it won't play a big role (and given that it is rare and out of production, the selling price will only rise... unless they somehow find a box in a warehouse with thousands of copies in it.)

Top Bottom