• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

0:37 Dramatic MEME

silent-hill4-horror.gif

tumblr_ofpq0kEJfG1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

17d5b73ff8ff737f0f04803bdedbf214cf05f965.gifv

280full-silent-hill-4%3A-the-room-screenshot.jpg

9bfc745e847f67df83ed7535923c52a2c54e5a49.gifv

Silent hill 4 The most MEME and Funny game of the saga

Last edited:

luij81

Banned

0:37 Dramatic MEME

silent-hill4-horror.gif

tumblr_ofpq0kEJfG1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

17d5b73ff8ff737f0f04803bdedbf214cf05f965.gifv

280full-silent-hill-4%3A-the-room-screenshot.jpg

9bfc745e847f67df83ed7535923c52a2c54e5a49.gifv

Silent hill 4 The most MEME and Funny game of the saga

I got a feling that by the time SH4 came out Team Silent (or at least part of it) was intentionally trying to screw the franchise in order to get rid of it, try new projects and move on with their lives (or maybe they were just out of ideas, while Konami kept trying to make money out of it). Although SH4 has some good ideas, there are a lot of bad choices there. One little "bad decision" that immediately comes to my mind is some sound effects they used: what's with the sound those dogs make when attacking, for instance? I remember thinking that was such a lazy and lame choice... One other thing that comes to my mind is the way they animated Henry - it didn't feel right somehow (like the way he walked was kindda clumsy/funny).

kunonabi

People always praised Shattered Memories.
So much so I eventually got a copy for a price 🙄
Honestly I love style and the way it looked with all ice, but the game did not play well.
Those running sections were terrible.
Out of all of them release after SH4 The Room.
Shattered Memories is probably the worse.
But that's just my opinion.
Yeah, it is impressive technically, although that gets undercut by the awful animation, but everything else is bloody awful. Merging the first 3 games into one shitty alternate elseworlds take goes as badly as it could. Honestly, picking a worst game out of everything post SH3 is a bit of a fool's errand since they all have major issues.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, it is impressive technically, although that gets undercut by the awful animation, but everything else is bloody awful. Merging the first 3 games into one shitty alternate elseworlds take goes as badly as it could. Honestly, picking a worst game out of everything post SH3 is a bit of a fool's errand since they all have major issues.
That is true, but I at least finish the others
Ironically I did actually like Homecoming..yeah I know.
But I like how it ripped the world change effect directly from the the film, Pyramid Head...not so much
And I just imagined Alex Shepherd was Jensen Ackles 🤣

One of the reasons there's not many Silent Hill threads on NeoGAF is due to Konami holding the series hostage and the PC crowd missing out due to the rough ports. Fatal Frame recently made it to the Steam and I can only hope Tecmo can recreate the earlier games as it's much scarier than Silent Hill, albeit not as memorable with the characters and storytelling.
SH1 > SH2
You're absolutely correct. People can link whatever video essays on Youtube about how Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece, but it's not a very scary game, not in contrast to the first which was horrifying.

killatopak

(or maybe they were just out of ideas)
It's because it wasn't supposed to be SH in the first place at the very least it was considered a spin off. Konami just pressured them to tie it in with SH.

Also I think they're not really out of ideas. In fact I think it's the opposite. SH4 brought a lot more new stuff in terms of gameplay and design. There's a lot more experimentation going on than any other sequel in the franchise.

luij81

Banned
It's because it wasn't supposed to be SH in the first place at the very least it was considered a spin off. Konami just pressured them to tie it in with SH.

Also I think they're not really out of ideas. In fact I think it's the opposite. SH4 brought a lot more new stuff in terms of gameplay and design. There's a lot more experimentation going on than any other sequel in the franchise.
Oh, yeah, now that you brought that up, I remember some debates back then over the fact that it wasn't supposed to be SH. That makes sense and can definitely screw up a game.

I agree on the experimentation. Although I think experimentation usually takes place in two scenarios: 1) when you're innovating; 2) when you explored all possibilities in a given area (like psychological horror in games, for example) and need to do something different. I was refering to scenario 2.

Anyway, whatever the reason is, it seems to me that they were trying to at least undermine some parts of the game. I mean, look at those burping nurses. WTH is that? Why would someone put that in a psychological horror game? It is almost as if they were trying to say a big "F**K U, whoever is funding this project". LOL

SCB3

How bad or good are the games after 2? I really enjoyed 2 last year (Yea I played the Xbox HD collection version...) and own 4 on PC, but also interested in Downpour and Shattered Memories, worth a look at?

luij81

Banned
How bad or good are the games after 2? I really enjoyed 2 last year (Yea I played the Xbox HD collection version...) and own 4 on PC, but also interested in Downpour and Shattered Memories, worth a look at?
I didn't play any SH after SH4, so all I can say is that if you enjoyed SH2, you might also like SH3. SH2 is better IMO, but 3 is great.

Gameplay mechanics, acting and dialogues are poor (which is true for any SH), but aesthectics, music and sound design are outstanding.

Last edited:

Arachnid

3 and 4 are fantastic. 4 has the best story in the series after 2, but suffers from some infuriating game design if you can get past it.

There is enjoyment to be had in Origins, Homecoming, and Downpour, but there really aren't worth a 1/4th of the original 4 games. Shattered Memories is a fantastic one off and has the third best story in the series (I expected to hate it when it came out but it pleasantly surprised me), but I hate how the gameplay is more about running like oOutlast vs exploration and puzzles.

Krathoon

What was that other interactive horror story game that changed depending what answers you gave? Tender Loving Care also did that.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
What was that other interactive horror story game that changed depending what answers you gave? Tender Loving Care also did that.

I haven't completed it yet (on the second act) but Doki Doki Literature Club seems to have a little bit of this, though most of the choices you get are binary decisions.

Krathoon

Three: Man of Medan, Little Hope, House of Ashes

Medan was terrible so I haven't tried the other two.
Yeah. I didn't know about Little Hope. I got Medan, but have not played it. It is in the backlog. Really those kind of games are easier to play. I like how they are not really long.
I got that old Fahrenheit game somewhere.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
SH2 is the most beautiful horror game I ever played and still suppress most games these days.
BTW enhanced edition is the way to play it on PC its phenomenal

kunonabi

SH3 is arguably the best game in the series although it does not stand on its own as much as 1 and 2.

Everything after is shit

SH4 is buggy, poorly designed in every department, has a terrible camera, awful combat, enemy design is a joke, the second half of the game is a lazy mess, and the story and characters are rubbish. It does have nice environments, an excellent soundtrack, poorly implemented but still, and one amazing scare. It's a frustrating waste of a great concept.

Origins has one kind of cool location and one good song but it is fairly dull otherwise and doesn't work at all as a prequel.

Homecoming has really nothing going for it and the second half especially is just a complete tonal misfire. It's not aggressively busted, although still buggy in places, but it's so bland and mediocre that there just any point to it.

SM has a more solid foundation but it it isn't scary and the story is awful and pointless. The gameplay is also nonexistent which doesn't help matters. The psychological profile system is not nearly as deep or interesting as they would have you believe either.

Downpour is just complete a mess. Like SH4 it at least has a basic concept that has potential but they do fuck all with it. Story wise it's the same old SH2 angle regurgitated yet again and the game itself is held together with toothpicks.

BoM was a Vita multiplayer dungeon crawler with a godawful writer at the helm. You can guess how that went.

I can't endorse anything after 3. 4 does have some high points in its artistry but it just sucks too much to actually play as far as I'm concerned.

Krathoon

I played a little SH4 in the emulator and I noticed the textures are pretty low res compared to SH3. The haunting at the beginning seemed a little glitchy. I don't know if it was an intentional effect or an emulator glitch. That is the thing about emulators.

The scream at the beginning doesn't make allot of sense. I guess he was horrified by his apartment.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Not really a horror game except for David Cage's horrible writing. The intro is great though and shows so much promise that the rest of that game, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human failed to deliver on.
I saw that Fahrenheit gets pretty weird. Not really horror. More of a Sci fi game I guess.

95mellow

I'm not sure I'll even play a Silent Hill 2 remake.

I feel like it's already fine, and a lot of its appeal relies on it looking a little old and janky. It's still flat-out beautiful at times too, and the character models in cutscenes are perfect. The same applies to 1 and 3.

I'm just a cranky old man these days, though.

I really think Downpour deserves a mention here. Yes the chase scenes over stayed their welcome, but everything else was spot on. It was a entry that respected the OG games and nailed the atmosphere and setting bang on. It's the best western entry by far. I replay it every year along side the rest of the OG games.

How do i get the SH2 enhanced edition (PC)? Can someone explain to me how to do it?
""Acquire"" a copy of SH2 for PC. Download all the mod packs on the EE site. Extract each of the mods into the main SH2 folder. Boom you're done. Did it last night and it went smooth af. Looks and plays great too. One of the highest quality remakes of this type I've ever played.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
""Acquire"" a copy of SH2 for PC. Download all the mod packs on the EE site. Extract each of the mods into the main SH2 folder. Boom you're done. Did it last night and it went smooth af. Looks and plays great too. One of the highest quality remakes of this type I've ever played.
Would be interesting to do for Steam Deck, possible? Has anyone tried?

Would be interesting to do for Steam Deck, possible? Has anyone tried?
I would guess that you'd need a Windows OS, but maybe someone more familiar with the Deck can chime in.

The mods themselves are wonderfully integrated. Menus look native, the fog is terrific and it's all built on the OG foundation. I think if this released as a retail product it would be 90+ on metacritic.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would guess that you'd need a Windows OS, but maybe someone more familiar with the Deck can chime in.

The mods themselves are wonderfully integrated. Menus look native, the fog is terrific and it's all built on the OG foundation. I think if this released as a retail product it would be 90+ on metacritic.
ManaByte ManaByte
Tim Burton Batman GIF

(until mine arrives who knows when…)

killatopak

SH1 needs the remake more than SH2.

Reasons being to set up the SH universe for newcomers. A lot more dated graphics means a remake will have more impact.

Also, maybe a little bit of a segway but I find the path to different endings feels a lot more satisfying in SH1 than 2. 2 is just like heal always and never let your health stay low.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Anything that's not deck compatible on Steam (Linux versions basically) would need to run on Windows.
I guess dual booting into Windows is still not the way to go, but I was hoping for something like Wine and hoping a not so recent game would still hit 30 FPS…

Krathoon

It looks like patching SH2 gets rid of the DRM. So, you can copy the game directory around.
I guess that doesn't piss off Konami.

ParaSeoul

SH1 needs the remake more than SH2.

Reasons being to set up the SH universe for newcomers. A lot more dated graphics means a remake will have more impact.

Also, maybe a little bit of a segway but I find the path to different endings feels a lot more satisfying in SH1 than 2. 2 is just like heal always and never let your health stay low.
Companies now are choosing to remake whats already good. RE4 getting a remake before Code Veronica for example. I would like to see an SH 1 remake tbh,Silent Hills would have been a soft reboot I feel.

anthraticus

Banned
SH1 > SH2
No doubt. Played them both recently and the first was even better than I remembered, while 2 was quite a bit worse, still okay, but honestly dropped quite significantly for me. Less frightening atmosphere, less oppressive music, more focus on story, even more linear, worse combat. Kinda interested how Silent Hill 3 holds up. I see a lot of the SH1>SH2 people prefer it to 2 also.

Last edited:

BryceNobody

No doubt. Played them both recently and the first was even better than I remembered, while 2 was quite a bit worse, still okay, but honestly dropped quite significantly for me. Less frightening atmosphere, less oppressive music, more focus on story, even more linear, worse combat. Kinda interested how Silent Hill 3 holds up. I see a lot of the SH1>SH2 people prefer it to 2 also.
I find one key difference between 1 & 3 vs. 2 is the focus on the ‘occult’ aspect of Silent Hill. 1 & 3 have the cult stuff really imbedded in the backbone of those games. 2 is more interested in the atmosphere and bizarreness of the town without dwelling too heavily on ‘why’ things are the way they are like in 1 & 3. It’s more open to exploring mood, themes, characters, etc. over giving the town a direct cause for being so creepy.

To be clear: I love all three dearly. But I’ve always thought that’s one of the reasons 2 gets a little more love than the rest.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I wonder if Silent Hill changes depending on who is there. It seems like certain things surface in the different stories. I don't know if there is a consistent history. Did SH2 have some of the same places as 1?

Krathoon

I played some Downpour. It is not as squirrly as the earlier Silent Hills. It feels more like a twilight zone episode. I forgot it has the mailman character that shows up in the comics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom