• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resident Evil series has sold 98m units to date

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Resident Evil series has cumulatively sold a total of 98 million units as of the company's latest financial results, up from 95 million units reported at the end of 2019.

With its latest quarterly financials, Capcom also announced that Resident Evil 2 -- the 2019 remake, specifically -- has surpassed 6.5 million units sold.

By unit sales, Resident Evil is the company's best-selling game IP, with Monster Hunter coming in behind it at 63 million units sold bolstered by Monster Hunter World: Iceborne selling five million units on its own.

Additionally, the Street Fighter series has sold 44 million units to date, Mega Man is at 36 million, Devil May Cry has reached 22 million, and Dead Rising has sold a total of 13 million units.

Grinchy

Banned
It's a really crazy number. And it also helps put into perspective how ludicrous it is for GTA5 to have sold 120M all on its own.

Doom85

ForcefulAngelicGangesdolphin-small.gif
giphy.gif

tumblr_owvisgqUvD1skp6koo2_r1_250.gifv
GrotesqueLoneGoat-small.gif

One of the GOAT game franchises ever IMHO. Loved it since the beginning, and hope it keeps going for as long as I keep gaming. Here's to so many wonderful years of RE, and hopefully many years ahead.

MrRogers

The franchise is up there with zelda, Final Fantasy, gta, and mario as one of the best "core" gaming franchises ever. It has 5 masterclass games in its ranks imo (RE4, REmake, RE7, RE2, REmake2), not many franchises can claim that.

Last edited:

The Shepard

The franchise is up there with zelda, Final Fantasy, gta, and mario as one of the best "core" gaming franchises ever. It has 5 masterclass games in its ranks imo (RE4, REmake, RE7, RE2, REmake2), not many franchises can claim that.

I'd add The original resident evil to that list, the game was a masterpiece of its time. I like both the original Re3 and the remake to. The only main entry (including code veronica) I've not liked is 6, that's definitely the black sheep in the family.

Monster hunter sales are crazy, whilst I enjoyed the game, I thought the grind got repetative after a while, I've only ever played and completed world, no idea how the ice expansion is.

All I can think of is that two dozen or so games in a franchise that started nearly thirty years ago and cumulatively they haven't sold as many copies as GTAV. An absolute juggernaut of a game.

D.Final

Banned

The Resident Evil series has cumulatively sold a total of 98 million units as of the company's latest financial results, up from 95 million units reported at the end of 2019.

With its latest quarterly financials, Capcom also announced that Resident Evil 2 -- the 2019 remake, specifically -- has surpassed 6.5 million units sold.

By unit sales, Resident Evil is the company's best-selling game IP, with Monster Hunter coming in behind it at 63 million units sold bolstered by Monster Hunter World: Iceborne selling five million units on its own.

Additionally, the Street Fighter series has sold 44 million units to date, Mega Man is at 36 million, Devil May Cry has reached 22 million, and Dead Rising has sold a total of 13 million units.

Impressive numbers

Top Bottom