• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The reality of consoles storage

Thief1987

Man... you can't compare Breath of the Wild with everything else. You simply can't. We're talking about the pinacle and gold standard of optimization. No other games comes even close to that.
If you consider low res textures and a low amount of unique one as a pinnacle of optimisation, then yes you are right

That has nothing to do with "hidden memory space" at all. The PS5's SSD total size is 825GB. There is no "200GB of storage space that doesn't even show up"
It's not exactly 200GB, but the usable memory is only 667 GB. So that's more like 140GB. I had to look up the actual numbers. I knew it was 800-something to 600-something, that's why I said "about 200GB".
But what you're saying is only demonstrating my point, so I don't know what your argument here is. You CLEARLY have more usable space on an Xbox, which has been my point the whole time.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not exactly 200GB, but the usable memory is only 667 GB. So that's more like 140GB. I had to look up the actual numbers. I knew it was 800-something to 600-something, that's why I said "about 200GB".
But what you're saying is only demonstrating my point, so I don't know what your argument here is. You CLEARLY have more usable space on an Xbox, which has been my point the whole time.

Yes. The XSX factually has a larger SSD and thus, more usable space. The argument here was you were making it out like PS5 was the only one that had space dedicated to the system. Your post as you are framing it now could simply have said "802 > 667". But you didn't. You said....

You know that the PS5 withholds like 200GB of storage space that doesn't even show up in your "Console Storage" section, right? That's a huge amount of memory that is just not available. You don't have anywhere close to 1TB of space

And then you edited that after I provided the actual numbers. That post clearly suggest you thought PS5 had 1TB of total space.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Your point has been that PS5 reserves "a LOT" of space and XSX doesn't, and this point is absolute bullshit.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

My takeaway is that the benefit of xCloud will become more and more prominent in the coming years.
Xcloud and PSNow for the ps users, or you're forgetting the older streaming service.

31Gb PS5
60Gb PS4
80Gb PC

Now that's some insane numbers!

One major difference in favor of Xbox is that you can actually use every bit of storage, whereas PS always keeps a big slice of space set aside for the system. I know I have about 25 games downloaded on my Series X, and I can never seem to squeeze more than a handful of games onto my PS5

You know that the PS5 withholds like 200GB of storage space that doesn't even show up in your "Console Storage" section, right? That's a huge amount of memory that is just not available. You don't have anywhere close to 1TB of space. And yes, Xbox holds back space too, but it always allows me to have more games installed.
Like I said, idk what else to tell you besides the numbers I see on my systems.
Have you even read the OP? It's the same on SeriesX
PS5 667 GB out of 825
XsX 802 GB out of 1 TB
That's also 200 reserved for the OS in my planet.

Yes. The XSX factually has a larger SSD and thus, more usable space. The argument here was you were making it out like PS5 was the only one that had space dedicated to the system. Your post as you are framing it now could simply have said "802 > 667". But you didn't. You said....

And then you edited that after I provided the actual numbers. That post clearly suggest you thought PS5 had 1TB of total space.
I had to look up the actual numbers, that's all. It doesn't change my point, as you just stated. You do have more room to install games on an Xbox. I edited it after I looked into it

Xcloud and PSNow for the ps users, or you're forgetting the older streaming service.

Now that's some insane numbers!

Have you even read the OP? It's the same on SeriesX
PS5 667 GB out of 825
XsX 802 GB out of 1 TB
That's also 200 reserved for the OS in my planet.
But my point has been the whole time that I can fit more games onto an Xbox. And you can. I was wrong about the total storage space, and I looked it up and addressed that. None of this changes my point

Your point has been that PS5 reserves "a LOT" of space and XSX doesn't, and this point is absolute bullshit.
No, my point was that I can fit more games into my Xbox. I forgot that PS5 didn't start with 1TB. I WAS WRONG ABOUT THAT.
None of this changes my REAL point, which is total storage space. You guys can jump over me if you want, but in doing so, you proved my original point. Not sure why you think it matters if both systems take extra space away, when one system clearly allows the user more actual download space.

Topher

Gold Member
But my point has been the whole time that I can fit more games onto an Xbox. And you can. I was wrong about the total storage space, and I looked it up and addressed that. None of this changes my point

That's fine, but the point that XSX has a larger SSD and more available space than PS5 was never up for debate. It is good you admit you were wrong, but what you were wrong about is the very thing I and others have been pointing out. No one here was arguing that XSX does not have more available space than PS5.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Goalposts I had to look up the actual numbers, that's all. It doesn't change my point, as you just stated. You do have more room to install games on an Xbox. I edited it after I looked into it

Dude:
One major difference in favor of Xbox is that you can actually use every bit of storage, whereas PS always keeps a big slice of space set aside for the system.

rolling eyes unbelivable GIF

That's fine, but the point that XSX has a larger SSD and more available space than PS5 was never up for debate. It is good you admit you were wrong, but what you were wrong about is the very thing I and others have been pointing out. No one here was arguing that XSX does not have more available space than PS5.
It seemed to me like you were debating it earlier, when you said that i would have to compare only the exact same games to compare file size. The X would fit more titles anyway.
Sorry for getting the 1TB thing wrong. I totally forgot that the PS5 didn't have that much space. I didn't remember until I looked at the Console Storage page, and looked how much I had left.

PaintTinJr

No, my point was that I can fit more games into my Xbox. I forgot that PS5 didn't start with 1TB. I WAS WRONG ABOUT THAT.
None of this changes my REAL point, which is total storage space. You guys can jump over me if you want, but in doing so, you proved my original point. Not sure why you think it matters if both systems take extra space away, when one system clearly allows the user more actual download space.
But your comparison with your own numbers of 10 games versus 25 games - even accounting for the difference of 800GB vs 600GB free - shows that the average game size was that amount smaller on the XsX, so installing more games isn't true, because they are full sized double sided blu-ray games on the PS5 (by your numbers), and probably patched 360 BC games or single sided XB1 BC games on the XsX.

The info in the first post shows that a lot of major games occupy significantly less storage on the PS5 - because of better compression handled by the IO complex - making the smaller free space storage more effective when using the new AAA games in that list.

Something I've wondered is if they're including the Series X and Series S versions of the game mostly into a single package.
Ok enough with the rational, respectful discussion. Xbox storage is shit. FIGHT!

BestCrazyIrrawaddydolphin-max-1mb.gif

*tosses series x expansion card at Bo_Hazem's head*

Now toss yours back. Oh right, you have to open up your Playstation 5 first. FIGHT! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Big Brother Fight GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Skifi28

You're acting like that fact is irrelevant to the conversation
It's not irrelevant at all, it's the whole point of the conversation. Smaller size of games can make up to an extend when having a smaller SSD. Comparing the two console drives without having the exact same games installed doesn't serve any purpose in this discussion. Pointing out that the xbox has a larger SSD also doesn't say much, it's the premise of this discussion, we know it and it's in the OP.

Last edited:
But your comparison with your own numbers of 10 games versus 25 games - even accounting for the difference of 800GB vs 600GB free - shows that the average game size was that amount smaller on the XsX, so installing more games isn't true, because they are full sized double sided blu-ray games on the PS5 (by your numbers), and probably patched 360 BC games or single sided XB1 BC games on the XsX.

The info in the first post shows that a lot of major games occupy significantly less storage on the PS5 - because of better compression handled by the IO complex - making the smaller free space storage more effective when using the new AAA games in that list.
The OP cherry picked a few examples, but I found lower GB titles on my Xbox, such as Vigor, which is smaller on Xbox. Obviously not every game is smaller on PS5

Topher

Gold Member
It seemed to me like you were debating it earlier, when you said that i would have to compare only the exact same games to compare file size. The X would fit more titles anyway.
Sorry for getting the 1TB thing wrong. I totally forgot that the PS5 didn't have that much space. I didn't remember until I looked at the Console Storage page, and looked how much I had left.

Well, no I was just talking about the install size of the games not total available space. It is all good though.

Man... you can't compare Breath of the Wild with everything else. You simply can't. We're talking about the pinacle and gold standard of optimization. No other games comes even close to that.
I can't tell if you are serious or not.
It's not hard to keep file size down when the game of full of low resolution textures and audio.

That's simply not true, among the 3 current-gen comsoles the PS5 is the one with the highest percentage of storage available to the end user

And Series X still starts out with a 135GB storage capacity advantage. 802GB to 667GB. Percentage is one thing, but more is still more. Why is the fact that the PS5 comes with a smaller, not fully 1TB SSD being looked at as some kind of advantage? PS5's storage percentage is higher because it's drive is smaller. Would 667GB available look as good percentage wise if the drive were 1TB?

And yes, I'm aware that if the drive were 1TB, the PS5 internal drive wouldn't be limited to 667GB. I was just making a point.

PaintTinJr

The OP cherry picked a few examples, but I found lower GB titles on my Xbox, such as Vigor, which is smaller on Xbox. Obviously not every game is smaller on PS5
Well it is hardly cherry picking, when most of those games were high profile enough to get covered in faceoffs with multiple analyse, and I recognise all the games on the list. Vigor is a free to play loot and shoot (AA game?) I'd never heard of until you mentioned it.

And you presented 10 games against 25 games, so you'd have needed another 24 games like Vigor for your point to be true under fair circumstances - even anecdotally - just for you.

High profile games will mostly use UE, and kraken is free for UE developers, and free to all PS5 developers anyway - because Sony paid for a kraken license for their platform prior to RAD game tools being acquired by Epic - so on average AA and AAA games are going to be smaller on PS5 - unless there's a marketing deal that has " better or equal on Xbox" clause.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's exactly my point though. You just showed that there's more actual usable memory for games on a Series X. That's what I'm saying.
Math is hard.

You said PS5 withholds 200GB when it doesn’t, and it’s the Xbox that withholds 2GB shy of 200.

Why is this even an argument?

Anyways, the compression is working as promised from the Cerny GDC talk.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
And Series X still starts out with a 135GB storage capacity advantage. 802GB to 667GB. Percentage is one thing, but more is still more. Why is the fact that the PS5 comes with a smaller, not fully 1TB SSD being looked at as some kind of advantage? PS5's storage percentage is higher because it's drive is smaller. Would 667GB available look as good percentage wise if the drive were 1TB?

And yes, I'm aware that if the drive were 1TB, the PS5 internal drive wouldn't be limited to 667GB. I was just making a point.

The size of the operating system does not scale with the size of the drive. The OS will require 158GB regardless if the drive is 825GB or 1 TB. So if PS5's drive were 1 TB then the percentage available would increase, not decrease. Better off just sticking to "more is still more".

DrAspirino

Banned
I can't tell if you are serious or not.
It's not hard to keep file size down when the game of full of low resolution textures and audio.
I'm serious.

If the artistic design of a game works mostly with lighting and shading, then why add high-res textures that add absolutely nothing to the artistic vision of the game?

Since it adds nothing, then it's obvious to use "low-res" textures on the game, specially if it's made for a console with a weak CPU/GPU (Wii-U).

Not every game needs to be realistic, nor full of high-res textures/models. It all comes down to the artistic vision of the game director and how the coders can optimize the hell out of code/assets to fulfill that artistic vision. In that regard BoTW it's the pinacle of it.

And Genshin Impact is the exact opposite.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Right now my xsx ssd is full with 30 games on it, with about 10 x/s supported titles and the rest are smaller and 360/og xbox games.

Dont have an issue with it, If I want to download something i will just delet some i dont play a lot.

My PS5 has about 10 games on it they are all PS4 games and that new WW2 shooter on ps+ ( but im gonna delete that because its not for me)

I dont think I will need to upgrade storage, I only play about 10 games at a time.

Soosa

Banned

Your point were that you have:
25 games on ~800gb space on xbox
10 games on ~667gb space on ps5
-> you can have more games on xbox than on ps5, and made some claims that your games are somewhat similar sized between the systems.

did you even do basic math before making these claims?

assuming both devices are full now:
800/25 = average of 32gb/game
667/10 = average of 66gb/game.

We can even remove that 50gb from PS5 that you said cant be used to install 50gb game -> 617/10 = ~62gb/game.
Yet you claim that "a game" is somehow some kind of constant unit of measurement, that you can fit "more game units" on xbox than on PS5.

I mean, how dont you notice that your logic is faulty, you cant just take random 25 games vs random 10 games and think they are somehow equal to compare?
First you should list the games + sizes on both consoles, and then you would see that comparing them have no point.

What if I would install all the smallest games and one big one on my PS5 and I would claim that I have 100 games installed on PS5, and biggest one is 100gb so I can fit 4 times more games on it!
You clearly have bigger average install size on PS5, and/or you have lot of recorded videos etc in there.

with same average size of 32gb on both systems you would now have 25 games vs 20 games, and then we could just say that yeah, ps5 ssd is smaller so it is logical outcome.
Now if we assume that PS5 games are smaller on average (like OP shows some examples) -> we could probably fit the same amount or more on PS5.

Of course it varies with different games, but you just cant take some random games that you have and make bold claims like that. It just seems that you didnt think it at all, or do any basic reasoning & calculations.

There can be differences, but it is ridiculous claim to say that you can fit 250% more similar sized games on 800gb vs 667gb.

conclusion: you have more, but smaller games installed on your xbox.

It can be true, that cinematic style games are bigger than whatever you play on xbox, but there is no point to compare apples to oranges.

Top Bottom