• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real star of Resident Evil Village’s Maiden demo is the PS5’s 3D audio!

Tqaulity

While most here would spend weeks and 100s of pages arguing about 1% frame drops and a few missing pixels that are largely undetectable, I thought it refreshing to focus a bit on something meaningful that will actually enhance and elevate the gaming experience this generation over the last. Here is a great read on what PS5's 3D audio brings to the RE Village Maiden demo: : https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/resident-evil-village-maiden-demo-3d-sound/

If you have a Pulse 3D headset for PS5, I highly recommend you try it with the Maiden demo! It's probably the best demonstration of what PS5's 3D engine is capable of thus far! To think what the 3D audio combined with the haptics/adaptive triggers and the visual fidelity at 4K/60fps could do for a horror game like Resident Evil....goosebumps!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The best 3D audio i've heard on the system yet. Its seems contrary to Demon's Souls that all angles are correct. DMC V is another one that has really good 3D audio and I guess Horizon and Days Gone were fine.

Self

The soundstage/mix was pretty awesome even without 3D audio.
HDR is what impressed me the most with Maiden. Never seen it in such a fidelity and wide range.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why you guys not hyping it? Next time I will went to visit my brother gotta try that :messenger_savoring:

Moogle11

Banned
Definitely the best I’ve heard. I had to go into the game settings no turn on virtual surround to really make it sound good (not sure if I missed when setting audio to headphones in the main menu settings or if it’s only in the settings after starting).

Also, just in case anyone is still unaware, the Pulse 3D headphones are not needed to experience 3D audio. Any headphones hooked up to the console via USB (cable or wireless dongle) or plugged into the Dualsense. I use the Steelseries Arctic 7x myself and the audio in the demo was damn good.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Crap, I basically had the sound turned off.......maybe I should download it again.

Data Ghost

I'll give this a try later with my AirPods Max. So far I haven't heard ANYTHING from the 3D Audio that even comes close to Dolby Atmos on my home theatre system and Series X. I was beginning to think it was marketing dribble, but that article you linked suggests I'll almost feel the vampire lady groaning into my ear and whispering sweet nothings about how well equipped I am.

Last edited:
Nice to know and will definitely try the demo with my Platinum headset.

Against all odds I'm actually beating RE7!
I've shit myself many times during the playthrough but I think I'm getting it done.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nice to know and will definitely try the demo with my Platinum headset.

Against all odds I'm actually beating RE7!
I've shit myself many times during the playthrough but I think I'm getting it done.

RE7 is tons of fun to replay, I actually enjoyed it more than the first time on subsequent playthroughs. Weird thing was I totally hated replaying RE2:R, the lack of significant changes compared to the original really pissed me off and I found it a chore. With 7 you got some really fun toys to play with (X-ray specs, circular saw, etc.) and playing on the Madhouse difficulty forced me to change up my approach on some encounters.

While most here would spend weeks and 100s of pages arguing about 1% frame drops and a few missing pixels that are largely undetectable, I thought it refreshing to focus a bit on something meaningful that will actually enhance and elevate the gaming experience this generation over the last. Here is a great read on what PS5's 3D audio brings to the RE Village Maiden demo: : https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/resident-evil-village-maiden-demo-3d-sound/

If you have a Pulse 3D headset for PS5, I highly recommend you try it with the Maiden demo! It's probably the best demonstration of what PS5's 3D engine is capable of thus far! To think what the 3D audio combined with the haptics/adaptive triggers and the visual fidelity at 4K/60fps could do for a horror game like Resident Evil....goosebumps!
So PC and Xbox are not getting 3D audio?

Tqaulity

Also, just in case anyone is still unaware, the Pulse 3D headphones are not needed to experience 3D audio. Any headphones hooked up to the console via USB (cable or wireless dongle) or plugged into the Dualsense. I use the Steelseries Arctic 7x myself and the audio in the demo was damn good.
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't clear on that in my original post. Truthfully, I'm still anxiously waiting for Sony to expand the Tempest 3D audio support beyond headphones to Surround Sound systems (probably 1-2 years out it seems).

Moogle11

Banned
So PC and Xbox are not getting 3D audio?
3D audio is just Sony's virtual surround sound for headphones set up they created to avoid licensing fees for themselves or customers. Xbox has the Windows Sonic as the free, included option or you can pay for Dolby Atmos or DTS apps ($15 each, one time fee) to use others and PC has various virtual surround options across games.

Demo is only on PS5 now so can't compare, but so far I've been more impressed with using Atmos for Headphones on my XSX than Tempest 3D on PS5. Would be nice to be able compare the demo on XSX too though as it's the best 3D audio I've heard on PS5 so far.

Last edited:

DonF

Good to hear, I want to keep using my golds!

Moogle11

Banned
Good to hear, I want to keep using my golds!
Yep, you're all good with those. I just passed mine V2s on to a friend and upgraded to the Steelseries Arctis 7x as I wanted a headset that worked wirelessly with both Xbox Series X and PS5 and everything else (XBox uses a different wireless frequency so need a dongle with a switch to toggle between Xbox and everything else). I'd have stuck with the Gold's otherwise. The 7x sound better, but I'm not an audiophile at all so wouldn't have upgraded for that alone.

I recently got the pulse headset and was playing cod earlier. I was wondering why gun shot sounds were coming from behind the spawn on nuke town. Turns out I had them on back to front. That 3D audio really does work.

3D audio is just Sony's virtual surround sound for headphones set up they created to avoid licensing fees for themselves or customers. Xbox has the Windows Sonic as the free, included option or you can pay for Dolby Atmos or DTS apps ($15 each, one time fee) to use others and PC has various virtual surround options across games.

Demo is only on PS5 now so can't compare, but so far I've been more impressed with using Atmos for Headphones on my XSX than Tempest 3D on PS5. Would be nice to be able compare the demo on XSX too though as it's the best 3D audio I've heard on PS5 so far.
Good news, with all the sound talk from Cerny I thought maybe Xbox and PC would be behind, seems not though.

TheAssist

So can you not recreate the effect by playing back the gameplay footage or why am I seeing no audio/video evidence here :goog_unsure:

I hope this game makes full use of the PS5 features such as 3D audio, haptic feedback and dynamic triggers.

And by "this game", I mean every game.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Good news, with all the sound talk from Cerny I thought maybe Xbox and PC would be behind, seems not though.
Yeah, time will tell which type of virtual surround for headphones ends up sounding best. As a non-videophile they all seem fine to me so I strongly doubt I’ll have a preference. But yeah, always best to take any statements from Cerny, Spencer and other corporate reps with a grain of salt as there’s so much marketing speak and hype as their jobs are to sell their products.

Moogle11

Banned
Stay behind a 100 dollar headset lol

To be fair, Cerny’s comments they were referring to were about the Tempest 3D audio that works with any headphones (hooked up via USB to the console or plugged into the controller) and later will be expanded to work with surround sound set ups for receivers and speakers. He and Sony as a whole did tie that to the Pulse headset as they of course want sell that so many think it’s required (or thought as I think most get it those aren’t required for 3D audio now).

Time will tell how Tempest compares with Atmos, DTS and other surround sound options. As above, I’m not an audiophile so I doubt I’ll notice much difference. Been totally fine with my Arctic 7x on PS5 with the 3D audio and XSX with the Dolby Atmos app I bought (Windows Sonic or whatever it’s called that was included for no cost was underwhelming to me).

Last edited:
To be fair, Cerny’s comments they were referring to were about the Tempest 3D audio that works with any headphones (hooked up via USB to the console or plugged into the controller) and later expanded to surround sound set ups for receivers and speakers. He and Sony as a whole did tie that to the Pulse headset as they of course want sell that so many think it’s required (or thought as I think most get it those aren’t required for 3D audio now).

Time will tell how Tempest compares with Atmos, DTS and other surround sound options. As above, I’m not an audiophile so I doubt I’ll notice much difference. Been totally fine with my Arctic 7x on PS5 with the 3D audio and XSX with the Dolby Atmos app I bought (Windows Sonic or whatever it’s called that was included for no cost was underwhelming to me).
Are the pulse headphones just stereo sound or do they have 7.1 virtual surround sound?

I sold my Astro a40 as they wouldn’t work with the ps5. I feel like they did have better sound quality but you could change between stereo and 7.1

Data Ghost

Ok just tried the demo with a pair of AirPods Max and the sound was, not bad. Miles Morales through them sounds a lot more impressive tbh. I think I am just spoiled as I have been running home theatre setups for over 15 years so I think I just take directional audio for granted.

Moogle11

Banned
Are the pulse headphones just stereo sound or do they have 7.1 virtual surround sound?

I sold my Astro a40 as they wouldn’t work with the ps5. I feel like they did have better sound quality but you could change between stereo and 7.1
Not sure, didn’t look into them as I only considered headsets that would work with both PS5 (and other things) and Xbox.

The Tempest 3D audio (and things on other platforms like Dolby Atmos or DTS for headphones) just work with any stereo headphones to do surround sound though, so headphones with multiple speakers etc. aren’t needed. No idea if headphones with more speaker are supported or sound better though.

Moogle11

Banned
Look, i don't know if it was the 3d audio or capcom just being great with the audio mixing, but it was pretty good even on tv and i usually don't give a fuck about audio stuff.

It should work with TV speakers. The 3D audio should work with any Stereo headphones (hooked up via USB to the console with wire or dongle or plugged into the Dualsense) and TV speakers.

What’s not supported yet is surround sound receivers/spakers or other types of headphones (i.e. surround sound headphones that get audio via an optical out or HDMI Arc from the TV to their base station or whatever).

Edit: Think I was wrong about that and TV speaker support will be added in a future update as well.

Last edited:
I always play on my PS5 with headphones. The sound in the demo is great but the HDR is what blew me away. Looks so gorgeous on my CX.

I am really glad that both PS5 and Series X have awesome sound chips. Games sound amazing on both, it's a nice QoL improvement for all of us.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It should work with TV speakers. The 3D audio should work with any Stereo headphones (hooked up via USB to the console with wire or dongle or plugged into the Dualsense) and TV speakers.

What’s not supported yet is surround sound receivers/spakers or other types of headphones (i.e. surround sound headphones that get audio via an optical out or HDMI Arc from the TV to their base station or whatever).

And though the 3D audio sounds pretty great, if you're willing to wait, eventually you won't need headphones to enjoy Sony's Tempest tech at all. The platform maker has said support for virtual surround sound through TV speakers will be added to the PS5 in a later update sometime after launch. The trouble is, we don't know when that update will arrive.

didn’t know they rolled out the update...

my bad

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They work fine and sound fine to me....enjoy your overpriced headset
SourWeightyAmericankestrel-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
didn’t know they rolled out the update...

my bad
Shoot, they probably haven't. I thought it was there at launch, so my bad rather than yours. I never use my TV speakers (almost always headset for gaming and surround sound for TV and movie watching with the wife, so no way to check).

Zephir

I just played the demo on a regular 4k tv without the 3d headset, but the audio was awesome anyway...I can only imagine how it would be with proper equipment

Speaking of audio and going slightly OT...I streamed the demo to a friend but I had only the Dualsense mic to chat and when I checked the recording...that mic is not the best, but it records EVERYTHING! It even captured the tv audio of my neighbours next door, like...how?

RayHell

Someone discovers surround sound.

yeah it’s cool and all but nothing ground breaking.
I would suggest you tried to understand what it really means before writing diminishing comments. Surround sound can be backed in so it's not what people discovered, it's the real time nature of the tech that is interesting. From what I experience it seems to be using ray-tracing for audio occlusion and binaural recorded sample.

Top Bottom