• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real reason nVidia 3000 series cards are hard to find is because nVidia sold them all to miners

Ascend

"Sales to miners generated at least $175 million in the third quarter, accounting for much of the outperformance, according to a Thursday note from RBC Capital Markets analysts Mitch Steves. Before the results came out, he had estimated sales to miners would be $150 million.

The Ampere graphics processing units, or GPUs, are popular among Ethereum crypto miners, as it is one of the primary currencies to use GPUs for mining. Technical changes to Ethereum that will take effect around Dec. 16 mean that much of the older hardware Ethereum miners currently use won’t work anymore. As a result, Steves wrote, they are buying GPUs and Nvidia’s look pretty good."

Jigsaah

Gold Member
hqdefault.jpg

Don't the RDNA2 cards have better performance at mining? Wouldn't be surprised the miners bought them up as well, especially the ones who couldn't snag a RTX 30XX.

Ascend

That article doesn't say what your title claims.

For someone who's constantly crying about FUD being spread about AMD, this is one hell of a thread.
Not saying it's true. But... The question inevitably arises... How come miners can get the cards to achieve a $175 million in revenue, but normal users can't?

Timestamped;

Last edited:
I believe there were early rumours that 6000 series were good for mining but it turns out they are only slightly better than 5700XT for mining.

3000 series with their massively increased FP32 compute seem to perform way better at mining than AMD's current offerings.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Don't the RDNA2 cards have better performance at mining? Wouldn't be surprised the miners bought them up as well, especially the ones who couldn't snag a RTX 30XX.
No. RDNA 1 cards are still a beast for it, but the new cards aren't worthwhile based on cost (and well, availability). Infinity Cache just doesn't help them with mining. On the other side Ampere has GDDR6X with massive bandwidth gains so that's the best right now out of the new cards.

But of course there can only be one king. ;)

radeon-vii-graphics-card-kitt.jpg

No. RDNA 1 cards are still a beast for it, but the new cards aren't worthwhile based on cost (and well, availability). Infinity Cache just doesn't help them with mining. On the other side Ampere has GDDR6X with massive bandwidth gains so that's the best right now out of the new cards.

But of course there can only be one king. ;)

radeon-vii-graphics-card-kitt.jpg
Yeah I just did a little bit of searching and found the rumors that the 6800 was going to be 150% faster than the 3090, which turned out to be just a rumour. Either way, fuck miners. Killing off perfectly good hardware, and the dreams of gamers, who just want to play games.

To reiterate, I wish Nvidia and AMD could nerf the living hell out of mining abilities or their new cards, so miners would stay away from them. Maybe unlock mining potential later on down the road, but this shit always sucks each time there is new hardware.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, that's why Radeon VII was not available. This sounds like a too bullshit to me, there is not single algo which is faster on nVidia. In my opinion at least. Besides 1080Ti have mining power of 2080Ti, so I doubt that 3080/90 will push the envelope. I still don't have 3090 so I cannot say, however I think 6900/6800 is going to be killer in home mining.

Besides mining nowadays is either ASIC or CPU (like RandomX algo for Monero).

To reiterate, I wish Nvidia and AMD could nerf the living hell out of mining abilities or their new cards, so miners would stay away from them. Maybe unlock mining potential later on down the road, but this shit always sucks each time there is new hardware.
As I've said I don't believe anything from this article. I am close to mining and crypto community in whole. And I have not heard anything about nVidia being killer deal. Not sure about Chinese tho, those people don't to us folks in the west...

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why Radeon VII was not available. This sounds like a too bullshit to me, there is not single algo which is faster on nVidia. In my opinion at least. Besides 1080Ti have mining power of 2080Ti, so I doubt that 3080/90 will push the envelope. I still don't have 3090 so I cannot say, however I think 6900/6800 is going to be killer in home mining.

Besides mining nowadays is either ASIC or CPU (like RandomX algo for Monero).

As I've said I don't believe anything from this article. I am close to mining and crypto community in whole. And I have not heard anything about nVidia being killer deal. Not sure about Chinese tho, those people don't to us folks in the west...

RDNA2 is not Radeon VII or Vega 64, I've been following a lot of the tech news very closely on Twitter these days especially for GPUs and it was already proven that 6000 series have bad mining ability, only slightly higher than 5700xt.

Nvidia have made big changes to their architecture, doubling their FP32 count which makes them compute monsters, similar to Vega in a way. It seems Nvidia converged their gaming and data center GPU designs into one to save on R&D money/time and synergize their business. In terms of mining specifically I don't really follow it but it wouldn't surprise me if Ampere were mining champs due to their increased compute ability.

Ascend

RDNA2 is not Radeon VII or Vega 64, I've been following a lot of the tech news very closely on Twitter these days especially for GPUs and it was already proven that 6000 series have bad mining ability, only slightly higher than 5700xt.
This is good, but don't count on it remaining that way. When the 5700XT was released, the first reports were also that it was bad at mining. But after they updated the mining software optimizing for it, it suddenly became good.
It doesn't mean that this will definitely happen with the 6800 cards, but it is still a possibility. The good thing is that miners won't immediately jump on it due to the first reports of poor mining performance. It can still come down the line. Miners are very resourceful.

It's what happened with the Vega 56/64 cards. They were great at mining from the beginning, so, they never really saw the light of day for gamers. A delayed mining craze is better than an immediate one. Then again, no mining craze is much better.

regawdless

Banned
I doubt that miners are the real reason for it. Maybe one of the reasons.

Main reason would be damn thirsty customers after an overpriced 20xx generation and wanting to be next gen proof.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Nvidia have made big changes to their architecture, doubling their FP32 count which makes them compute monsters, similar to Vega in a way. It seems Nvidia converged their gaming and data center GPU designs into one to save on R&D money/time and synergize their business. In terms of mining specifically I don't really follow it but it wouldn't surprise me if Ampere were mining champs due to their increased compute ability.
marketing%2F3080-NiceHash-Hashrates.png

That's like 4 bucks per 24h of mining, so I somewhat really doubt, that someone would pay the price for that. Like I've said GPU mining is basically hobby mining, when you have GPU, nothing more really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom