• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real GTA Trilogy Definitive Editions are on the OG Xbox

Unk Adams

Banned
In 2021 we get three broken, censored versions of the GTA Trilogy that is initially digitally only and will be later released most likely in a flimsy plastic case probably without even an instruction manual. But back in the day on the original Xbox we got an amazing box set that included upgraded versions of these three classics (compared to the original PS2 versions) in one awesome looking set. Not only do these versions look and play great and don't contain any censored or cut content you can also tell back then that Rockstar actually cared about their product. They could have shoved these three games into a cheap DVD case that held three discs like most other companies did at the time with re-releases but instead they gave us a great looking box set which showed they had pride in their presentation. If you have an original Xbox and own these then now is the time to break them out and enjoy them again! Sure, Grove Street Games and modern day Rockstar might be trash but it wasn't always this way. Take a look at this amazing set! Another reason to hold on to your old games and consoles!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Dream-Knife

Banned
I agree, and that is how I played them back then.

I did not know of a triple pack though. I got 3 and VC in a pack in 2003 for $40, then got SA when it came out separately.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought these after having played the PS2 originals. It was the best way to play the games back then.

I remember using the custom soundtrack option on the OG Xbox for these three, it was great as it would automatically fade out when dialogue occurred or a cut scene started . Vice City in particular I had a lot more 80s on top of what was an already great track list in the game. I miss the feature to be honest.

Last edited:

Skifi28

They were an improvement over the ps2 for sure, but they also haven't aged that well. They real definitive edition are the games on PC modded.

I'm sure there are many mods, I use "the definite edition" one for each that has many improvements and fixes in a simple copy-paste installation per game.

Last edited:

stranno

The amount of work they put on XBOX's III is mind-blowing, coming from Rockstar. The textures, the effects, rain drops on screen, the 3D engines, the 3D rims, reflections. It's just amazing.

Those three games are the only decent ports provided by R*. Even the ports of PSP (Stories, The Warriors, etc) to PS2 were a bit lacking. And people are angry about the Definitive Edition, but, imo, Bully Scholarship was a waaaaay worse offense. It looks as bad as these remasters, color is just gross.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This is what I'm using as well. It truly is THE definitive edition.

Best PS2 features + best XBOX features + 4k interface + better controls + restored music + bug fixes.

CsSH17I.jpg

Man this image just shows how much an insult the "remaster" is:

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Looks fucking fantastic. I think I'll get the trilogy set up on PC soon with all these fixes and stuff you're using, might give you a PM for advice if thats okay.

Tuff McNutt

I got my Xbox out of storage yesterday to play these.

FYI there are some cuts (Haitian/Cuban stuff in VC) and missing songs in VC and SA. The only true uncut versions are the original releases on PS2.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Used to have that same set. We had it good back then, looking back. Physical games are such a shitty proposition now.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Great art and great style. I wish they would had taken that drawn art style and put it into the game. Make the remaster characters those animated characters. I think it would work.

GriffinCorp

Those games were epic! I want to play them again since I've been playing the new releases this week. I remember loving the colors and how they popped on OG Xbox with my Flat panel CRT lol

Top Bottom