• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quarry - Official Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the announcement trailer for Until Dawn creators new game, The Quarry.

In The Quarry trailer, we learn that a group of teens unexpectedly need to spend another night at their lodge in Hackett's Quarry Summer Camp. With camping season nearing its end and hunting season taking hold, the group becomes concerned when they begin to hear and see strange things in the woods. Something's out there, but what is it?

The Quarry stars David Arquette, Ariel Winter, Justice Smith, Brenda Song, Halston Sage, Siobhan Williams, Skyler Gisondo, Evan Evagora, Miles Robbins, Zach Tinker, Ted Raimi, Lance Henriksen, Lin Shaye, Grace Zabriskie, and Ethan Suplee.

Developed by Supermassive Games, The Quarry releases on June 10, 2022.

Rayderism

What I see in the vid looks good, but I wonder if it will play like their Dark Anthology games, or maybe Until Dawn. I really hate when trailers don't give you any idea of the actual gameplay mechanics.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Thank fuck this isn't MP.

. . .also looks like a proper return to UNTIL DAWN level of cheese and horror. Though, the lip syncing, or maybe just the character animations, don't look super great. Hopefully that stiffness doesn't make it to release.

Other than that absolutely in on this (clear Cabin in the Woods around Crystal Lake vibes going on).

Just got announced and out in three months?

Not expecting anything from this

Would you prefer a multiple year hype strategy? Game is out in three months and they are just going right into advertising mode. We need more of this and less of "here's a teaser for a game out in a few years. Enjoy."

Last edited:
Would you prefer a multiple year hype strategy? Game is out in three months and they are just going right into advertising mode. We need more of this and less of "here's a teaser for a game out in a few years. Enjoy."

I'd prefer a good game. A three month window does not inspire confidence

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I assume this is not a part of The Dark Pictures Anthology?

2K publishing instead of Namco Bandai as well.

Last edited:
Three months release after announcement trailer doesn't mean they haven't been working on it for a while.

Sure, but that remains to be seen. All they've released these past few years is a slew of smaller mediocre titles and they couldn't even get them out of in time. Now out of nowhere they have this new IP out in three months. I'll be happy if this is Until Dawn caliber but i'm not hopeful in the least.

Looks interesting. But I have to say their constant output of the same genre worries me a little, it kinda reminds me of Telltale Games when they were releasing game, after game, after game of the same type and at some point it was just too much. I hope they keep the quality but also diversify their catalogue.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
How the hell is Supermassive releasing so many games, so quickly??
Anyway, House of Ashes was good (as opposed to the two first project in The Dark Pictures Anthology) so let's hope this one is in the same vein.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Got roasted for saying House of Ashes was good in the other topic but I'm serious. Play it you cucks if you're interested and it's on sale. Man of Medan is mid, Little Hope is GARBAGE.

This is another Until Dawn 8 character full 10 hour game deal. Full moon in the sky at night so probably Werewolves. I'm down.

bitbydeath

That looks way better than I was expecting.
Not full price here in Australia either so may get day one. The cheap quality of Dark Pictures had put me off their last three titles.

SteadyEvo

What I see in the vid looks good, but I wonder if it will play like their Dark Anthology games, or maybe Until Dawn. I really hate when trailers don't give you any idea of the actual gameplay mechanics.
Gameplay mechanics? It’s an interactive movie 🎥

xion4360

Don’t know about the others but Until Dawn let’s you freely walk around, exploring the environment and hunt down collectibles.

yeah they all follow that same formula. Very linear ofcourse.

apparently whats new with this one is a mode where you make some basic character selections and the game plays itself out like a movie.

Last edited:

Trunim

The facial animations in Until Dawn were fine, I can live with them being about the same in this game if the story and cast are fun.

Hugare

Looks ok, but they really need dat Sony mocap studio and Decima engine to shine

Looks worse than Until Dawn in terms of effects and animations, which hurts performances and immersion

Imagine what they would be able to pull off with the new version of Decima ... phew

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Until Dawn was awesome. Men of Medan sucked. I never got around to Little Hope or House of Ashes because of how much I disliked Medan. Cautiously hopeful going back to a full budget title will make me fall in love with their work again.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

April's IGN First is The Quarry, Supermassive Games' spiritual successor to 2015's teen horror hit, Until Dawn.

Check out the first 30 minutes of gameplay from The Quarry which all takes place during the game's prologue. Starring Skyler Gisondo as Max, Siobhan Williams as Laura and Ted Raimi as the extremely creepy Travis.

The Quarry arrives on PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox Series and One, and PC via Steam this June.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new video released by IGN, director Will Byles discusses the connection between the two games, and how they relate to the horror genre as a whole. Byles states that horror is a much bigger genre than most people assume, but Until Dawn and The Quarry are both tied together in their specific sub-genres.

"The biggest thing I think was kind of the teen horror feel. So, Until Dawn was definitely very, very much on purpose. It wasn't cliche, but we kind of definitely pushed it towards the stereotype of teen horror. We're doing the exact same thing on this," said Byles. "There's a level of humor in there, there's a lightness... it's like a date movie kind of thing. It's Friday the 13th. It's not dark horror, it's more humorous, I think."

While the game will clearly share some similarities with Until Dawn, Byles also mentioned how the game will improve on certain elements. For example, the director mentions how the motion capture has greatly improved over the last seven years, allowing the team to better convey the performances by the game's cast. That could be a big benefit, as The Quarry features a star-studded set of actors, including David Arquette, Justice Smith, Ethan Suplee, Brenda Song, Lance Henriksen, and more.

Jada_Li

Banned
I'm excited for The Quarry and have decided to get this day one as I have a fondness for cinematic choice-based games. I enjoyed Man of Medan, Little Hope (My favorite in the series thus far.), and House of Ashes. Also interested in the upcoming The Devil in Me despite how disturbing I think it will be for me.

Honestly, though the animations whether facial or body movements are not always as smooth or slightly exaggerated, I do wonder during certain moments if it is done intentionally because, for me anyway, I find a sort of charm to the slight awkwardness and humor to it as well. I couldn't help but laugh at a few awkward moments in House of Ashes and I'm pretty sure Until Dawn has it too, like I can see a bit in The Quarry trailer too. I don't know, pretty much reminds me of the classic horror movies cheesiness antics but for me in a good way. Like Resident Evil dialogue is bad in a good way. "That was too close! You were almost a Jill sandwich."

Regardless of whether it's intentional or not, I'm still having a lot of fun with the games so there's that.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out how this chilling scene from The Quarry, a new horror game from the Until Dawn creators, was made. Moments in video games can often pass by in an instance, but do we ever stop to consider how many people work on bringing these scenes to life?

We spoke with the talented people at Supermassive Games about a particularly creepy scene in The Quarry, the spiritual successor to 2015's Teen-horror game, Until Dawn. The scene we're looking at takes place in The Quarry prologue and is our first introduction to a terrifying new The Quarry character, played by horror icon, Ted Raimi.

00:00 - Intro
01:34 - The Script
03:30 - Performance Capture
06:16 - Directing
09:05 - Animation
10:54 - Building Choices

Last edited:
Top Bottom