• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 worked fine with the slowest compatible SSD we could find

MilkyJoe

I think many PC gamers greatly under-sell the complexity of building an actual PC.. but adding an NVME to a machine w/ an easy to access slot?

Come on lol.. it's really not comparable.

Too intimidating for some people? Sure.. many people.. but really.. it's also just not what most people would ever spend money on anyways. Anyone willing to spend $150 for a drive to keep a bunch of games on their PS5 is likely not going to make a big deal out of installing an nVME.

They can always just use an external for cold storage if they really feel it's too complex.

And honestly, who gives a shit? Why do we care if some casual is intimidating by nVME drives? Is anyone here not going to do it? It's Sony's problem if this disuades some casuals from a PS5, not ours.
Building a PC is like putting a Duplo kit together 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

CuNi

Building a PC is like putting a Duplo kit together 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

I build several PCs for me and friends and so for most people have one of two excuses why they don't want to build one themselves.

A) they don't know much about PCs and are already overwhelmed with having to pick parts in their budget that still work together (AMD and Intel CPU + Mainboard, correct RAM Version, GPU, cooler etc.).

B) they are afraid to break something and think that PC components are made out of foam or something where the littlest wrong touch or so will break everything.

Obviously my friends don't represent all of humanity but it's been a funny coincidence that those were always the excuses. When it comes to the actual assembly, I'd say building a PC is not difficult per se but more tedious. Like lets be real.. We all once forgot the backplate when installing a Mainboard and we all hate that front panel wiring dance because we still have no one plug but a dozen single cables labeled +/- etc.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
IMO the biggest challenge and time consuming in build a PC is what to buy.

After you do that the “build” part is very easy and fast.

drpends on knowledge of the person. Yes putting SSD in and memory and stuff is easy but people get mixed up with the things like power buttons and led cables and stuff . That can be fiddly and daunting for some people. Have to remember that all of us on here are enthusiasts so we know what to do

It has become quite easy these days the fact remains many people who buy a console buy it to sit it in the TV cabinet and just play games and not crack it open to install parts.

I'm guessing most casuals just delete the data when they can't install anything else. Pretty sure the console itself will suggest that when you can't install something new.

In short most casuals won't bother with expandable memory options.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm guessing most casuals just delete the data when they can't install anything else. Pretty sure the console itself will suggest that when you can't install something new.

In short most casuals won't bother with expandable memory options.

I think they would if it took the option like Xbox had. Not console warring, just an easy solution you go buy and plug into the back of the console like a usb device would.

maybe something like that could happen with a revised ps5 in the future?

ZywyPL

Banned
I think they would if it took the option like Xbox had. Not console warring, just an easy solution you go buy and plug into the back of the console like a usb device would.

Not for the price. One of the many reasons people choose consoles over PC is the cost, and 499 is already a lot for many, let alone ~200 for just an additional drive space when you can just delete the games you don't play anymore. If we could get 1TB drives for like 50$ then yeah, it would've been a common practice for everyone to expand the storage, but it's simply not worth it, no matter how easy/convenient the solution is. I honestly don't expect more than 1% of XSX users to get the expansion cards despite their convenience.

maybe something like that could happen with a revised ps5 in the future?

I don't think that's necessary though. Due to the fact that the NVME upgrade is still incredibly easy to do.

Not trying to console war but I don't think the majority will have an issue expanding the PS5s storage.

Overtime you will see how accessing the PC market will be really beneficial for PS5 owners.

Edit: ZywyPL ZywyPL makes a really good point about propietary drives. In Microsofts case they cost double what similar NVMEs cost. So if we apply to Sony your typical 1TB drive would cost double the price of your typical NVME. Looking at the current prices that would be around 400$ for a propietary 1TB drive and 200$ for a equivalent NVME maybe even less.

For the average consumer that convenience will cost them 200$ compared to a comparable NVME. Many of them will choose to save 200$ and buy an equivalent NVME and install it themselves (easy to do BTE) or have someone do it for free or for a nominal fee. That's the issue with having both options because consumers can always go with the cheaper one. Something that isn't possible if you only have a propietary drive.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't think that's necessary though. Due to the fact that the NVME upgrade is still incredibly easy to do.

Not trying to console war but I don't think the majority will have an issue expanding the PS5s storage.

Overtime you will see how accessing the PC market will be really beneficial for PS5 owners.

Edit: ZywyPL ZywyPL makes a really good point about propietary drives. In Microsofts case they cost double what similar NVMEs cost. So if we apply to Sony your typical 1TB drive would cost double the price of your typical NVME. Looking at the current prices that would be around 400$ for a propietary 1TB drive and 200$ for a equivalent NVME maybe even less.

For the average consumer that convenience will cost them 200$ compared to a comparable NVME. Many of them will choose to save 200$ and buy an equivalent NVME and install it themselves (easy to do BTE) or have someone do it for free or for a nominal fee. That's the issue with having both options because consumers can always go with the cheaper one. Something that isn't possible if you only have a propietary drive.

The majority of us wont have a hard time, but the casuals may. Like I said if there was the option like Xbox’s just to plug into the back of the console it would be better for the casuals.

like somebody pointed out befor most people dont wanna take apart their consoles. That’s why the usb3 HDD option worked so well last gen

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not for the price. One of the many reasons people choose consoles over PC is the cost, and 499 is already a lot for many, let alone ~200 for just an additional drive space when you can just delete the games you don't play anymore. If we could get 1TB drives for like 50$ then yeah, it would've been a common practice for everyone to expand the storage, but it's simply not worth it, no matter how easy/convenient the solution is. I honestly don't expect more than 1% of XSX users to get the expansion cards despite their convenience.

Again the prince of the SSD for the Sony console is roughly the same as the expansion drive for the Xbox. Yeah prices will come down but the price will come down on Xbox expansion card to.

The majority of us wont have a hard time, but the casuals may. Like I said if there was the option like Xbox’s just to plug into the back of the console it would be better for the casuals.

like somebody pointed out befor most people dont wanna take apart their consoles. That’s why the usb3 HDD option worked so well last gen

But question is if the casuals are willing to pay double the price for a propietary solution when they already have access to a much cheaper one.

Very few people are going to see convenience as being worth double price since consoles are already designed for those who are on a budget.

Yeah prices will come down but the price will come down on Xbox expansion card to.

Not at the same rate and the gap between the two will increase. Thstd what propietary solutions have shown us in the past like with the 360 HDD and the Vita memory cards. Hoping for the two to priced the same isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
But question is if the casuals are willing to pay double the price for a propietary solution when they already have access to a much cheaper one.

Very few people are going to see convenience as being worth double price since consoles are already designed for those who are on a budget.

Again the price of the SSD that works in ps5 is similar to the pricew of the Expansion slot for Xbox. Yes speeds are different but to the casual they not looking at that they just looking at convienience

ethomaz

Banned
Again the prince of the SSD for the Sony console is roughly the same as the expansion drive for the Xbox. Yeah prices will come down but the price will come down on Xbox expansion card to.
It is already cheaper and the solution Beta… you can find compatible SSDs around $150-160 already.

The price isn’t and never will be similar.
That is the biggest difference between the proprietary choice by MS and the open choice by Sony.

MS solution is basically the mistake solution Sony did with Vita.

Last edited:
Again the price of the SSD that works in ps5 is similar to the pricew of the Expansion slot for Xbox. Yes speeds are different but to the casual they not looking at that they just looking at convienience

It's already cheaper with even more inexpensive options available to consumers if they don't need 1TB. Heck more expensive options are available if they want a drive over 1TB.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's all relative. Even this 3900mb/s ssd is still 60% higher read speed than the 2400mb/s ssd in the Xbox Series consoles. In terms of consoles you could still call it "Ultra Fast". With a 2400mb/s drive maybe it would crap out.

Kinda interesting that, its like how much streaming is going on in a game in terms of Data, how much is streamed to load the next level in rachet. like the rift section is used to load the level how much data is being loaded we dont know. Xbox speed may not be possible unless a couple more seconds is needed but the data may not be that much and maybe there be no noticeable difference

It is already cheaper and the solution Beta… you can find compatible SSDs around $150-160 already.

The price is and never will be similar.

Not to mention your getting a Gen4 card with higher speeds than the XSXs expansion card. And if you don't need 1TB you can find 512GB cards for 100$. That's what I'm going to do.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

The price isn’t and never will be similar.
That is the biggest difference between the proprietary choice by MS and the open choice by Sony.

MS solution is basically the mistake solution Sony did with Vita.
The one Sony recommends is $229 btw

Last edited:
The one Sony recommends is $229 btw

Well it's still faster than the one in the XSX. And the drive works if you can deal with slightly slower load times compared to the internal drive.

6463131cv16d.jpg

Not sure what your trying to argue since this drive is around 150$ for those that are willing to deal with slightly slower load times.

Edit: Here's proof that the drive works BTW.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well it's still faster than the one in the XSX. And the drive works if you can deal with slightly slower load times compared to the internal drive.

6463131cv16d.jpg

Not sure what your trying to argue since this drive is around 150$ for those that are willing to deal with slightly slower load times.

Right were not talking speeds, when a casual will search for a SSD for the ps5 it will come up Sony recommendations and the drive is more expensive.

also your moving the goalposts to fit your agenda by offering up a slower SSD to fit a price point

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Right were not talking speeds, when a casual will search for a SSD for the ps5 it will come up Sony recommendations and the drive is more expensive.

also your moving the goalposts to fit your agenda by offering up a slower SSD to fit a price point
Man there is no Sony SSD recommendation lol

BTW the cheaper SSD he listed is faster than recommended 5.5GB/s.

Last edited:

Well installing a slower SSD is an option that consumers have. I'm not moving the goalpost since it's a supported drive.

When Microsoft gives you more options we can bring them into the discussion. But at this moment there's only one.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well installing a slower SSD is an option that consumers have. I'm not moving the goalpost since it's a supported drive.
The one you listed is not slower.

It is 100MB/s faster than recommended specs.

I’m not even sure what he is arguing lol

Last edited:
The one you listed is not slower.

It is 100MB/s faster than recommended specs.

I’m not even sure what he is arguing lol

I mean slower than the 7000 mb/s drives. But yes Sony does recommend a 5,500 mb/s drive.

Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended
6463131cv16d.jpg

Now phil_t98 phil_t98 if your talking about Sony recommended drives that are 1TBs then your cheapest option is around 150$.

No goal post moving there.

Now if this isn't a drive recommended by Sony I'll take back what I've said.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I mean slower than the 7000 mb/s drives. But yes Sony does recommend a 5,500 mb/s drive.

6463131cv16d.jpg

Now phil_t98 phil_t98 if your talking about Sony recommended drives that are 1TBs then your cheapest option is around 150$.

No goal post moving there.

Now if this isn't a drive recommended by Sony I'll take back what I've said.
Yeap… that $150 SSD fits all specs Sony recommended.
You just need to buy a $10 heatsink and you are done.

Last edited:
Yeap… that $150 SSD fits all specs Sony recommended.
You just need to buy a $10 heatsink and you are done.

I even found a drive that exceeds the recommended specs for 170$ on Amazon.

AME8S201127pR7pW.jpg

I think at this point it's proven that expanding the PS5s memory with drives recommended by Sony is cheaper than buying the storage expansion for the XSX. And you could go lower if you want plus these prices will continue to fall.

As I stated many times before my option is one that exceeds the recommended specs and only costs 100$. It's only a 512GB drive but that's all that I would need. A huge external will be used for playing PS4 games and cold storage.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I build several PCs for me and friends and so for most people have one of two excuses why they don't want to build one themselves.

A) they don't know much about PCs and are already overwhelmed with having to pick parts in their budget that still work together (AMD and Intel CPU + Mainboard, correct RAM Version, GPU, cooler etc.).

B) they are afraid to break something and think that PC components are made out of foam or something where the littlest wrong touch or so will break everything.

Obviously my friends don't represent all of humanity but it's been a funny coincidence that those were always the excuses. When it comes to the actual assembly, I'd say building a PC is not difficult per se but more tedious. Like lets be real.. We all once forgot the backplate when installing a Mainboard and we all hate that front panel wiring dance because we still have no one plug but a dozen single cables labeled +/- etc.
Personally I'd go with what a girl at my work once said "there's no bigger vagina repellant than getting to a guys house and seeing a desk with 2 monitors and a light up keyboard"

By allowing slower SSDs to be compatible on the system, this forces Sony first-party devs to have to cater to lowest-common denominator when making their games. They cannot provide suboptimal experiences for the PS5 owners who opted to buy cheaper/slower SSDs as Sony openly said it was an option they could elect to make. There should be no "first class" and "second class" gamers on console as this defeats the purpose of a closed system which differentiates consoles from PC.

Riky

$MSFT

I've seen the Xbox card for £180 from major retailers so it's already come down in price, but it also has advantages. Easier to install, easier to move to another machine which I do all the time, guarantees the same performance as the internal storage which isn't the case with PS5, Sony has the disclaimer that even if you meet the specs you might still get inferior performance.
Doesn't need a heatsink as external.

So there are pros and cons to both really.

By allowing slower SSDs to be compatible on the system, this forces Sony first-party devs to have to cater to lowest-common denominator when making their games. They cannot provide suboptimal experiences for the PS5 owners who opted to buy cheaper/slower SSDs as Sony openly said it was an option they could elect to make. There should be no "first class" and "second class" gamers on console as this defeats the purpose of a closed system which differentiates consoles from PC.

The solution is easy. Sony never guaranteed the same performance from slower drives. So there's no obligation to make that happen. Anyone who runs into the issue can just move the game over to the faster internal. And it's easy since everyone's internal drive will be the same.

All this fear and no proof to back it up.

I've seen the Xbox card for £180 from major retailers so it's already come down in price, but it also has advantages. Easier to install, easier to move to another machine which I do all the time, guarantees the same performance as the internal storage which isn't the case with PS5, Sony has the disclaimer that even if you meet the specs you might still get inferior performance.
Doesn't need a heatsink as external.

So there are pros and cons to both really.

Unless your swapping out the storage a lot it's hard to justify the tax in my opinion.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
My 1TB WD SN850 with Be Quiet MC1 heatsink is cheaper then the pcie 3.0 speced Seagate Xbox series expandible storage.

2.4GB/s vs 7GB/s

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
The solution is easy. Sony never guaranteed the same performance from slower drives. So there's no obligation to make that happen. Anyone who runs into the issue can just move the game over to the faster internal. And it's easy since everyone's internal drive will be the same.

All this fear and no proof to back it up.
there's no guarantee the slower drives will even work after the beta, the PS5 could easily not allow drives that fall below 5.5 Gb/s in the speed test if Sony decides that's too risky

ZywyPL

Banned

What I said earlier applies to both solutions. Of the shelf SSDs will get cheaper with time nore so than XB expansion card, but by how much? 15$? 20? 30? Before PS6 arrives 1TB drives will still be above 150$ anyway, which like I said, is not worth the hustle for nost people out there when you're just a few clicks away from freeing up hundreds of GB.

Riky

$MSFT
Unless your swapping out the storage a lot it's hard to justify the tax in my opinion.

Four Series consoles in the house so it's a big deal to me, can you move your PS5 games the same way if you move the drive? Will probably get another PS5 when there is a slim model.

Mr Moose

Which drive did they recommend? I haven't seen any.
SN850 on Amazon UK was £155 a few days ago (currently £159.98), slap on a £10 heatsink and you're set.
This one dropped 14% in price since I added it to my wishlist a few days ago.

dano1

A Sheep
-Seagate FireCuda 530 : $255 for 1TB
-Western Digital Black SN850 : $250 for 1TB
-Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 7000S : $199 for 1TB
-Patriot Viper VP4300 : $225 for 1TB
-Samsung 980 Pro : $199 for 1TB
-Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus : $199 for 1TB
-Corsair MP600 Pro : $199 for 1TB
-Inland Performance Plus : $189 for 1TB
-A-Data S70 Gammix : $159 for 1TB
-MSI Spatium M480 : $250 for 1TB
-Crucial P5 Plus : 180$ for 1TB
-A-Data Gammix S50 Lite : 130$ for 1TB
The Corsair MP600pro has the right performance but the heatsink is supposedly too tall.. at least by the spec sheet.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Which drive did they recommend? I haven't seen any.
SN850 on Amazon UK was £155 a few days ago (currently £159.98), slap on a £10 heatsink and you're set.
This one dropped 14% in price since I added it to my wishlist a few days ago.

it was in the article I posted. also the xbox storage add-on is 179 on amazon at moment so not really massive price difference when you buy the heat sink

NickFire

Is this kind of thing your life's mission?

Mr Moose

it was in the article I posted. also the xbox storage add-on is 179 on amazon at moment so not really massive price difference when you buy the heat sink
The article that says "Sony will be recommending officially supported internal SSDs in the near future." They didn't recommend any drive, they said should be at least 5.5GB/s and needs to be Gen4 x4.
Or do you mean this:
[UPDATE] Another official “PS5 compatible” SSD has arrived, the Seagate FireCuda 530 NVMe SSD which comes in 500GB, 1/2/4TB. It sports transfer speeds of up to 7,300 MB/s.
Because that wasn't Sony, that was Seagate who said it.
£15 price difference and more than twice the speed.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Pretty sure Xbox is also pcie 4 but yeah spending some 200$ for 2.4gb/sec is crazy

It is a 3.0 drive with converter to 4.0. Even the internal is 3.0 but converted. My 960 Evo’s NVMe and Optane drive in my pc are even faster then these in the XSX (above 3200GB/s).

Last edited:
Four Series consoles in the house so it's a big deal to me, can you move your PS5 games the same way if you move the drive? Will probably get another PS5 when there is a slim model.

That still doesn't justify the higher price especially since similar drives cost around half that. They could have just priced it slightly above and that would have been fine.

I guess what I need you to explain to me is what components increase the cost of the drive that much.

And please don't avoid the question.

can you move your PS5 games the same way if you move the drive?

No but I don't see how charging a lot more leads to that being possible.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bought the 980 Pro this morning for my PC. My mobo has a heatsink built in for a m2 drive so no need to buy an SSD just yet. Very excited to see how fast it boots up my pc.

might use it for my PS5 when I start running out of space in the next couple of years.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PS5 recently added the ability to upgrade your SSD if you're in the beta program. The SSD for PS5 can be upgraded with a Heatsink included on the SSD drive, or without. We'll show you how to install both versions of a new SSD, and what it looks like once it's up and running.

Neo_game

It is a 3.0 drive with converter to 4.0. Even the internal is 3.0 but converted. My 960 Evo’s NVMe and Optane drive in my pc are even faster then these in the XSX (above 3200GB/s).

TBH it does not matter as pcie3 4 lanes is same as pcie4 1 lane as the max speed for both is 3.94gb/sec.

Top Bottom