• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 is making me hate PC Gaming (techradar article)

Majmun

I gave up on Pc gaming after Half Life 2. Nothing really came out afterwards that would make me want to get a gaming PC. All games can be played on modern consoles now. There are no PC exclusives I’m interested in anymore.

I would probably build a €2000 gaming pc and end up playing indie games in it...

You mean like "3-4x the price for same level of performance", yeah?
Claims presented without evidence are to be dismissed without evidence.
yeah yeah yeah we've been over this if you wanna go through the thread. No one can accomplish building one under that, so if you wanna try instead of talking shit like a child go for it

That being said, PS5 has limited functionality compared to a PC.
Yeah we've been over this. The topic was solely gaming, but if you wanna go here, its all individual needs. You could get a PS5 and Macbook Air for less than a PC that runs at Ps5's equivalent, so this "PCs use the internet too" argument is meh

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Idk man. Paying 3x-4x more for a PC so I can put "foliage quality" on high seems worth the extra grand or two. I mean, did you see the difference in particles on the desk in the DF video?!?
Until consoles don´t deliver us freedom of resolution, framerate, controllers, mods, emulators, graphics settings, gigantic library since Pong, etc, the price of the console doesn't matter. Could be a free console vs 1000+ pc. Tons of pc gamers would still choose pc for everything but exclusives. How hard is to understand pc gaming is not only about performance on an enthusiastic gaming forum in 2021???

Last edited:

MikonJuice

My humble opinion: pc+ videogame brand you like would be the best scenario, at least for me.
I tried to give up on computer, but it's just that Football manager, Civilization and fps in general are much, much better played on pc. My God, playing FPS with a controller is like eating medium rare steak with chopsticks. (At least for me!!!)

On the other hand, a videogame, specially Nintendo and Playstation, will give you experiences/games that you just won't find anywhere. Zelda and Pokemon for Nintendo and God of War and any Naughty Dog game... they're just unbelievable experiences that once you get it... almost probably you don't want to not have in your life.

To tell the truth... pc gaming can be a little bit disapointing. Sometimes you pay fucking bucks for that pc and you just won't get the ultimate experience because the generation of games were subpar. The last four years for me were a little bit like that, as I don't like multiplayers. RPGS were awesome, and I do think they play better on pc, but I don't know if it justifies paying top dolla rfor a graphic card.

Until consoles don´t deliver us freedom of resolution, framerate, controllers, mods, emulators, graphics settings, gigantic library since Pong, etc, the price of the console doesn't matter. Could be a free console vs 1000+ pc. Tons of pc gamers would still choose pc for everything but exclusives. How hard is to understand pc gaming is not only about performance on an enthusiastic gaming forum in 2021???
Totally man. Paying 4x the price of ps5 for a PC of equivalent power so I can finetune my foliage quality is totally worth it.

But in all seriousness, chill bruh i'm joking. Enjoy what works for you, don't get butthurt

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Totally man. Paying 4x the price of ps5 for a PC of equivalent power so I can finetune my foliage quality is totally worth it.

But in all seriousness, chill bruh i'm joking. Enjoy what works for you, don't get butthurt
Those getting butthurt is those crying every time about pc vs console prices. Enjoy your worst experiences for your muti platform if you like paying less for this...

Those getting butthurt is those crying every time about pc vs console prices. Enjoy your worst experiences for your muti platform if you like paying less for this...
Oof if being honest about the price difference = crying than ok. Sorry jokes have made you so upset, no need to be so attached to a PC you get offended, thats kinda weird man. Have a good day

No one can accomplish building one under that
They already did, in this very thread, and all you can fire back with is "I disagree so ur wrong, i win, ur child, bye bye, yay happy meal".

6NaT4LX.jpg

I love everyone on neogafs snooty standoffish responses to a persons opinion or thought piece like that isnt an actual part of what neogaf is besides being a news source. And before some clever genius says an opinion is an opinion whether its standoffish or not youd be correct but im just pointing it out because it annoys me. And no i do not expect anyone to care that this is my opinion. Just wanted to express it. K bye.

Topher

Gold Member
I love everyone on neogafs snooty standoffish responses to a persons opinion or thought piece like that isnt an actual part of what neogaf is besides being a news source. And before some clever genius says an opinion is an opinion whether its standoffish or not youd be correct but im just pointing it out because it annoys me. And no i do not expect anyone to care that this is my opinion. Just wanted to express it. K bye.

the office finger guns GIF

Well that’s not true.
Sure it is. $1400 is less than the price of a PC of PS5's equivalence in running games.

They already did, in this very thread, and all you can fire back with is "I disagree so ur wrong, i win, ur child, bye bye, yay happy meal".

6NaT4LX.jpg
I mean no they literally didn't lmaoooo you're prob skimming and read the ONLY dude who listed parts, and he did so to back up my argument when his parts were less powerful and still cost over 2x the price of PS5. If you wish to not act like a child and try yourself you're welcome to.

sono

Interesting.

But at a level isnt that always true of PC and consoles looking back?

A console generation is what it is, cant change, has a lifespan. PC is an ever moving target you never finish upgrading..

This generation is a bit different so far in so far as you cant even buy the current generation of console or graphics card!

Respect for post of substance instead of just crying and shit talking like basically all the other posters.

At quick glance PS5's RAM is more powerful, due to the recent releases of both PS5 and the RTX 3060 Ti we won't have a proper comparison til a focused next gen title is released on both imo, but i'm happy to concede this is the best comparable PC i've come across.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Lol it's the opposite case for me. I have a pretty beastly gaming PC and I got a PS5 day one.

Other than a brief foray into Demons Souls my PS5 has been a $500 twitch machine / paperweight.

Last edited:
Lol it's the opposite case for me. I have a pretty beastly gaming PC and I got a PS5 day one.

Other than a brief foray into Demons Souls my PS5 has been a $500 twitch machine / paperweight.
This is normal though. If you had a pretty beastly PC around the PS4's launch, the story would've been the same. We're actually lucky Sony improved in the launch area and got Demons Souls and Spiderman, when PS4 took a year iirc for true next gen experiences (besides Knack ofcourse)

TheContact

i've been a pc gamer pretty much my whole life, and i pretty much stopped console gaming after my ps3 died a couple years into using it. i've been thinking of getting back into it--not because it's simpler or whatever; i actually like the complexity of computers, but i just want to chill on my couch and play some gamepass games sometimes. i would build my own steambox but there's some xbla games I want to re-access after my 360 died

Topher

Gold Member

Personally, I go back and forth. Obviously the primary reason for owning a PS5 is for the exclusives. That's my primary reason for owning PS5 and it is a damn good one because those games are awesome, imo. Sometimes I see a game that would be fun to platinum and I'll go for that on PS5. Otherwise, I'll stick to my PC as that is still where I find the graphical performance is superior. But everyone is different so it is what it is.

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft had the power to pull the trigger and flip the industry upside down at will ,nvidia amd arm and intel are just a child play to them ,nothing has changed for decades but sometimes the consumers get fooled when those big 3 choose to make underpowered systems thinking they're running out of budget and it's hard to prove the opposite.

A.Romero

I'm a PC gamer first but next gen is definitely a good deal. I'll get a PS5 as soon as there is an exclusive game that interests me (although sometimes I get very tempted by the possibility of playing PS4 games on it).

For a long time I kept to consoles because it was what I could afford. Now that I bust my ass at work I get to play however I want and PC is simply the best experience possible.

Is it worth it to pay 3 or 4 times the price of a PS5 to play PC exclusive games like Total War and games multiplat like Nier at 4k/60FPS? I'd say yes but it's up to each person, their tastes and their spending capabilities.

If the only thing you get a PC for is Fortnite, Warzone, PUBG, Apex, etc then no, I'd say it is not worth it. Any console would give you pretty much the same experience for a lower cost. I was able to finish Cyberpunk last month after 50 hours of gameplay with RT to the max. I enjoyed it a lot. If anything I'm paying a high framerate, RT and resolution tax.

By the way, there have been a lot of discussions regarding profit margins for manufacturers lately (console warz). Evidently Sony is taking a hit for each PS5 sold. That itself tells a lot about how much of a good deal the PS5 is.

i dont understand why console warriors are so fixated on PC pricing. for me, I don’t mind spending money on my hobby and PC is hands down the most flexible and interesting platform to mess around with. If you are happy just playing console games then do that. Nobody cares.
Cause morons/teenagers in here like DonJuan wanna pretend u can get a PC of equal power as the PS5 for similar price.

"3-4x the price for same level of performance".. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Well if you're the dimmest bulb in the attic then it's possible, I guess.
Oh look another emotional teenager who just wants to talk shit. The one person mature enough to find a PC of comparable power had a 3x pricetag of the PS5, and still had a downgrade on RAM. So when you're done with your homework if you'd like to try proving that bolded statement wrong, please go for it

Oh look another emotional teenager who just wants to talk shit. The one person mature enough to find a PC of comparable power had a 3x pricetag of the PS5, and still had a downgrade on RAM. So when you're done with your homework if you'd like to try proving that bolded statement wrong, please go for it
You're not capable of picking top parts and having double pefrormance of consoles for ~2000. That's somehow actually impressive..

I gave up on Pc gaming after Half Life 2. Nothing really came out afterwards that would make me want to get a gaming PC. All games can be played on modern consoles now. There are no PC exclusives I’m interested in anymore.

I would probably build a €2000 gaming pc and end up playing indie games in it...
It’s been over 16 years since HL2 came out and you haven’t found anything that made you go “damn I wish I could play that”?

I definitely don’t enjoy the vast majority of “pc centric” games and as somebody that prefers MacOS as a platform for everything besides games there’s has been plenty of games that I’m glad I’ve had a pc for. Stuff like pubg, Phasmophobia, the citadel, and Chillas Art games make me glad I have a pc because they are some of my favorite experiences of the past ten years and honestly I’d put most of those above anything I experienced on console (again as somebody that prefers consoles for various reasons) outside of maybe Persona 5 and Nier Automata.
i dont understand why console warriors are so fixated on PC pricing. for me, I don’t mind spending money on my hobby and PC is hands down the most flexible and interesting platform to mess around with. If you are happy just playing console games then do that. Nobody cares.
Obviously somebody cares because this shit turns into a shit flinging contest every time these threads get posted. PCMR gets annoyed anytime that anybody enjoys their console experience and constantly needs to post jabs at how dumb console players are just as people who don’t like pc gaming feel the need to throw price into everything and make comparisons that don’t make sense.

This entire forum is full of people that need to feel better about themselves by putting down “the other side”.

Also before anybody wants to make it sound like I’m talking about the entire pc community I’m not. The people I’m talking about know who they are (and if they don’t need some self awareness) and this goes for both sides.

It’s two very different ways to play games and both have their merits. Personally I don’t want to be limited and until a MacBook can dock and play every windows game I want to play I’m willing to bet I’ll always have a pc for games.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm reading wrong, but... Is this dude saying a 1500€ PC has barely the same power as a PS5? :goog_relieved:
Your reading comprehension is clearly lacking so I will repeat for like 60th time. A PC of equivalent power to the PS5 is 3-4x the price. I see its popular for the 15 yr olds on here like yourself to just get emotional about that fact, god knows why, and talk shit. But if you'd like to try to prove me wrong, please do so. Only one adult has entered the thread with an attempt, and the PC he linked was 3x the price and still comes with downgraded RAM to the PS5's.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Your reading comprehension is clearly lacking so I will repeat for like 60th time. A PC of equivalent power to the PS5 is 3-4x the price. I see its popular for the 15 yr olds on here like yourself to just get emotional about that fact, god knows why, and talk shit. But if you'd like to try to prove me wrong, please do so. Only one adult has entered the thread with an attempt, and the PC he linked was 3x the price and still comes with downgraded RAM to the PS5's.
But that's basically what I said in my post bro. And well, of course that statement is false. Just go look at the DF reviews for Control, Hitman, or COD. Those games on PS5 have lower settings than the lowest available on PC.

Also thanks for calling me a teenager! Man I wish I was that young again.

But that's basically what I said in my post bro. And well, of course that statement is false. Just go look at the DF reviews for Control, Hitman, or COD. Those games on PS5 have lower settings than the lowest available on PC.

Also thanks for calling me a teenager! Man I wish I was that young again.
Is it though? Cause seems pretty obvious you were trying to be dismissive of that.

Dude. lol. You might wanna look into the prices of the GPUs on those reviews that outperform the consoles. And best part is, not one of those games is fully optimized for next gen consoles when we're in the early stages thus developers still have to ensure those games can have ps4 releases. I mean, can we even categorize Control as a PS5 game when its literally just a fps and rt update?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is it though? Cause seems pretty obvious you were trying to be dismissive of that.

Dude. lol. You might wanna look into the prices of the GPUs on those reviews that outperform the consoles. And best part is, not one of those games is fully optimized for next gen consoles when we're in the early stages thus developers still have to ensure those games can have ps4 releases. I mean, can we even categorize Control as a PS5 game when its literally just a fps and rt update?
Well it was a bold statement so yeah, I was a little bit dismissive, ngl. But still, the message is the same.

I still think a 1500-2000€ PC is much more powerful than a PS5, and a lot of your post is just pure speculation. You say those games are downgraded because they are not optimized for the PS5, but they seem to be for the PC, because a 1800€ PC like mine can run those games perfectly while the PS5 would struggle with the PC low settings. Why is that?

Last edited:
Well it was a bold statement so yeah, I was a little bit dismissive, ngl. But still, the message is the same.

I still think a 1500-2000€ PC is much more powerful than a PS5, and a lot of your post is just pure speculation. You say those games are downgraded because they are not optimized for the PS5, but they seem to be for the PC, because a 1800€ PC like mine can run those games perfectly while the PS5 would struggle with the PC low settings. Why is that?
But it wasn't bold. It was accurate. Prob why you immediately backtracked.

If 1500 pounds (think thats the symbol) translates to $2k, than yeah you should be able to build a more powerful PC. Much more powerful? Idk about that, you'd have to list the specs instead of generalizing. But this is still just proving my point when $2k is 5x the price of ps5. And literally nothing i've said has been speculative, its been factual. You're welcome to read more of the thread to see that.

If you think upgraded version of Control is going to be the benchmark of PS5, than you are just wrong. And you say you are an adult? Than you should know better than to think games around launch, and this isn't even a next gen only game its just a ps4 upgrade lol, will be the benchmark of what the next gen consoles are capable of. Did you think Knack gave us a good idea of PS4's full power when it first came out? Cmon.

TintoConCasera

But it wasn't bold. It was accurate. Prob why you immediately backtracked.

If 1500 pounds (think thats the symbol) translates to $2k, than yeah you should be able to build a more powerful PC. Much more powerful? Idk about that, you'd have to list the specs instead of generalizing. But this is still just proving my point when $2k is 5x the price of ps5. And literally nothing i've said has been speculative, its been factual. You're welcome to read more of the thread to see that.

If you think upgraded version of Control is going to be the benchmark of PS5, than you are just wrong. And you say you are an adult? Than you should know better than to think games around launch, and this isn't even a next gen only game its just a ps4 upgrade lol, will be the benchmark of what the next gen consoles are capable of. Did you think Knack gave us a good idea of PS4's full power when it first came out? Cmon.
Where did I backtracked?

And you haven't proven anything man. If a PS4 is 400€ (DE) then I can guarantee you that I could build a much more powerful PC with 1200€. And probably less.

Oh and yes, of course games will be better looking later on as it did with the PS4 (at least exclusives, we'll see with multiplats and if they keep running at 60fps), but that still makes your "A PC of equivalent power to the PS5 is 3-4x the price" statement false.

ps: € is the euro bro. Don't bother converting it to dollars tho, most retailers doesn't either and things cost the same amount of euros than dollars. And please, stop insulting people around here if you are the adult you say you are.

Last edited:
Where did I backtracked?

And you haven't proven anything man. If a PS4 is 400€ (DE) then I can guarantee you that I could build a much more powerful PC with 1200€. And probably less.

Oh and yes, of course games will be better looking later on as it did with the PS4 (at least exclusives, we'll see with multiplats and if they keep running at 60fps), but that still makes your "A PC of equivalent power to the PS5 is 3-4x the price" statement false.

ps: € is the euro bro. Don't bother converting it to dollars tho, most retailers doesn't either and things cost the same amount of euros than dollars. And please, stop insulting people around here if you are the adult you say you are.
Where did you backtrack? Well you admitted you were dismissive of my post, with zero counter mind you just a childish reply, yet in your other post you said word for word "Thats basically what I said in my post bro" in response to PC of PS5 power being 3-4x the price. So which is it? Do you still dismiss that statement, or have you come to realize its accurate?

Ok than do it? You claim to be an adult, but you'd rather post emojis instead of backing up your claim? And cause you're too lazy to read more of the thread, let me point out to you the best find is a PC thats $1.2k (3x the price of PS5) and is very comparable on basically every spec but has less powerful RAM. Which, again, just backs my statement to have equivalent power you are going to be paying 3-4x.....

And no. Its not going to take PS exclusives to have a game that looks and runs better than fucking Control bro lmao. Its literally just going to take more time, just as it did last gen, when developers can put sole focus on building strictly next gen games that don't have a last gen release as well. This is how it goes every single new gen.

If you don't want to feel "insulted", maybe next time respond with maturity instead of a dismissive emoji. Because thats how you wanted to approach the convo, i'm more than happy to be considerably forthright in how ridiculous your statements are. Alas, thats why you keep generalizing with nothing to back what you say.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Where did you backtrack? Well you admitted you were dismissive of my post, with zero counter mind you just a childish reply, yet in your other post you said word for word "Thats basically what I said in my post bro" in response to PC of PS5 power being 3-4x the price. So which is it? Do you still dismiss that statement, or have you come to realize its accurate?

Ok than do it? You claim to be an adult, but you'd rather post emojis instead of backing up your claim? And cause you're too lazy to read more of the thread, let me point out to you the best find is a PC thats $1.2k (3x the price of PS5) and is very comparable on basically every spec but has less powerful RAM. Which, again, just backs my statement to have equivalent power you are going to be paying 3-4x.....

And no. Its not going to take PS exclusives to have a game that looks and runs better than fucking Control bro lmao. Its literally just going to take more time, just as it did last gen, when developers can put sole focus on building strictly next gen games that don't have a last gen release as well. This is how it goes every single new gen.

If you don't want to feel "insulted", maybe next time respond with maturity instead of a dismissive emoji. Because thats how you wanted to approach the convo, i'm more than happy to be considerably forthright in how ridiculous your statements are. Alas, thats why you keep generalizing with nothing to back what you say.
Yeah I was dismissive because that statement still sounds really stupid to me. And sorry if I don't want to read 11 pages of warring in a forum about games. Sometimes it's entertaining but I'm not in the mood right now.

Sorry for hurting your feeling by posting an emoji, but if you want facts, here are the specs of my computer:
Corsair Carbide 275Q USB 3.0 - 85€
Corsair RM750 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular - 115€
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD NVMe M.2 - 110€
Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 3200Mhz PC-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16 - 80€
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC - 190€
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz - 480€
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo - 40€
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC 8GB GDDR6 - 500€

That's ~1600€. 4x times the price of PS5 (DE). Are you really saying it's just as poweful?

Last edited:
Yeah I was dismissive because that statement still sounds really stupid to me. And sorry if I don't want to read 11 pages of warring in a forum about games. Sometimes it's entertaining but I'm not in the mood right now.

Sorry for hurting your feeling by posting an emoji, but if you want facts, here are the specs of my computer:
Corsair Carbide 275Q USB 3.0 - 85€
Corsair RM750 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular - 115€
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD NVMe M.2 - 110€
Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 3200Mhz PC-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16 - 80€
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC - 190€
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz - 480€
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo - 40€
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC 8GB GDDR6 - 500€

That's ~1600€. 4x times the price of PS5 (DE). Are you really saying it's just as poweful?
Exaggerate and try to excuse yourself all you want, but as an adult, maybe next time read more than one post before you reply like a child.

For an adult your math is very, very bad. 1600 euros translates to $1.9k which is closer to 5x the price. So congrats on just proving my point that you were dismissive of. You spent 5x the price for a more powerful PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom