• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 is making me hate PC Gaming (techradar article)

Barakov

iu

SNG32

That’s why Im doing a gaming laptop, PS5 and switch this gen. A PS5 is almost like a gaming desktop replacement for half the price. Atleast with a gaming laptop you have the portable version of a Xbox with better Japanese support and you can do all your office needs on it as well. A desktop never made sense to me since I do console for heavy triple AAA gaming. I usually game on PC for fighters, Jrpg anime games and Emulation. So it’s not like I need a heavy gaming laptop for those type of games.

Last edited:
What did this guy expect? Cyberpunk might be "unoptimized" on PC, but you can bet your ass a 3090 is still going to run it significantly better than a PS5. And the part about The Medium running like shit at low resolutions on PC... does this guy know it's running at 900p even on Xbox Series X?
I see your point, but at least he didn't spend $2000+ to run those shitshows. Are games on PC $2000 better? Sorry, they're not for my wallet.

Justin9mm

Where is all the PC master race ppl saying PC'S are just as convenient as console. You want to couch game, just plug your PC into your TV lol.

OP's post is why I don't bother much with my gaming PC anymore.

ClosBSAS

I say its a welcome addition. Finally, pc needs to catch up no more holding back pc games for a few years. Afterwards, consoles will become obsolete like always but at least this time they have staying power.

I mean, i remember avalanche saying ps4 was more powerful than a pc yet they could not get just cause 4 to run at more than 15fps on it lmao.

Guilty_AI

I honestly never preferred PC gaming for the higher visual quality, majority of games i deem great aren't even graphical powerhouses. I just like the advantages an open platform brings.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Clickbait article.
Since these GPUs have hit the market we've seen games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs: Legion, and The Medium released, giving us the opportunity to test this groundbreaking computing hardware for ourselves
This is so retarded. CP2077 runs like shit on PS5 and crashes out regularly and has no next-gen features like Ray tracing. Watchdogs Legion runs worse than a 2060 Super without DLSS being factored in. Lastly, The Medium isn't on PS5.

Contrary to the article, I haven't seen anything from consoles yet that would justify an upgrade from PC last-gen $300-400 cards like 5700/5700XT/2060S.

Guilty_AI

Before the games were even released, we were seeing some fairly alarming system requirements to play the latest AAA titles. It was reported this week by DSOG that the Medium couldn't run at a consistent 60fps on a PC equipped with an Intel i9-9900K and an RTX 3080, even on standard 1080p quality and ray tracing switched off. And the optimization issues faced by The Medium are hardly unique.
Doesn't this game run at 900p on the XSX at 40fps? This feels like a general optimization issue by the devs rather than something unique to PC.

Come on, man. You've got Google.

I'm not saying you need or even should be interested by the PC exclusives out there, but to deny they even exist is a strange one.
Nothing wrong to ask for names if it's that easy. I could tell which move the needle that set the platform apart significantly (MMORPG and Strategy games), but they're not PS's strength either (AAA Blockbusters).

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This transition period seems unusual, the PC versions of many AAA games are terribly optimised.
So bad that it's even harder to brute force than it should be.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing wrong to ask for names if it's that easy. I could tell which move the needle that set the platform apart significantly (MMORPG and Strategy games), but they're not PS5's strength either (AAA Blockbusters).

I know the next move. He gets people to list up games and then writes up a post dismissing each of them for "reasons" (coming to console one day, too niche, not graphically impressive, etc. etc.) It's pretty transparent what the tactic is. If he genuinely wanted to know about PC exclusives it's as simple as Googling "PC exclusive" and clicking a couple of links.

edit: see! he's already moving the goal post to "big budget PC exclusives"

No mate, i know there are exclusives but they are not as big as console ones, thats why i asked, maybe some big game i missed? because people were saying big budget games as pc exclusives.. well i dont see them.
Half Life Alyx is not a big game, and i wouldnt count League of Legends. Most PC exclusives are not big budget games.
Rockstar is console company they release their PC games later, all the time.
Naughty Dog - PS
Zelda, Mario - Nintendo
Final Fantasy 7 Remake - PS
Ghost - PS

I mean where are the PC exclusives at? all of them are small budget games compared to those i listed, thats why i made my first comment. Imagine Cybeprunk launched as PC exclusive and no not a multiplatform game that runs well on PC and next gen only, but actual exclusive, now thats would be nuts for PC gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozzarella

Come on, man. You've got Google.

I'm not saying you need or even should be interested by the PC exclusives out there, but to deny they even exist is a strange one.
No mate, i know there are exclusives but they are not as big as console ones, thats why i asked, maybe some big game i missed? because people were saying big budget games as pc exclusives.. well i dont see them.
Half Life Alyx is not a big game, and i wouldnt count League of Legends. Most PC exclusives are not big budget games.
Naughty Dog - PS
Zelda, Mario - Nintendo
Ghost - PS

I mean where are the PC exclusives at? all of them are small budget games compared to those i listed, thats why i made my first comment. Imagine Cybeprunk launched as PC exclusive and no not a multiplatform game that runs well on PC and next gen only, but actual exclusive, now thats would be nuts for PC gaming.

Guilty_AI

This transition period seems unusual, the PC versions of many AAA games are terribly optimised.
So bad that it's even harder to brute force than it should be.
Only one i know that seems poorly optimized is The Medium (which also runs poorly on the XSX).
FS2020, ACV, WDL, CP2077 - all seem to run within expectations

Last edited:

Mozzarella

total war series, every RTS, every grand strategy game, every worthwhile mod

if the only games you are interested in are troy baker quipfests then just stick to consoles
I have 3k gaming PC, most of my gaming time was on PC since the 90's. When im saying PC gaming needs big exclusives i know what im talking about, the games you listed are hardcore niche games, i mean RTS. Casual gamer cant play that shit man..come on.

EDIT: I own consoles and PC, every gen, i like gaming. Most people buy console for the exclusives, especially playstation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Naughty Dog - PS
Zelda, Mario - Nintendo
Ghost - PS

A lot of great PC exclusives eventually come to console these days and we're even starting to the reverse happen with Sony exclusives, which is still crazy to me, but very welcome.

At one point something like Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a PC exclusive for example, but now it's available on console. Awesome! I'm sure the same will be true of Baldur's Gate 3. Just one example, but plenty of games follow this pattern. Diablo 3 is another and I'm assuming Diablo 4 will be as well.

I own consoles and PC, every gen, i like gaming. Most people buy console for the exclusives, especially playstation.

Agreed with this. Lack of exclusives is why I didn't even consider XBO and now XSX. Wouldn't even want one for free. Alternatively, I guess you could say I only buy PlayStations because they still have exclusives.

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I have 3k gaming PC, most of my gaming time was on PC since the 90's. When im saying PC gaming needs big exclusives i know what im talking about, the games you listed are hardcore niche games, i mean RTS. Casual gamer cant play that shit man..come on.

EDIT: I own consoles and PC, every gen, i like gaming. Most people buy console for the exclusives, especially playstation.

i too own a 3080 and a ps5. I don’t hate consoles but to say their are not popular PC exclusives is just flat out wrong. Look at numbers for mount and blade 2 and Total Warhammer.

Mozzarella

A lot of great PC exclusives eventually come to console these days and we're even starting to the reverse happen with Sony exclusives, which is still crazy to me, but very welcome.

At one point something like Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a PC exclusive for example, but now it's available on console. Awesome! I'm sure the same will be true of Baldur's Gate 3. Just one example, but plenty of games follow this pattern. Diablo 3 is another and I'm assuming Diablo 4 will be as well.
Games like Divinity OS2 is a great choice, but in the end they released their game on every platform available even Nintendo Switch, which means PC exclusives are not a thing for any big game, as soon as a game gets big, they release it on consoles.
Can you tell me when Bloodborne will be on PC, The Last of Us? Uncharted? Zelda? Never! So why dont the PC gaming own at least 1 big budget title and stick with it and never release it on console.

Alienware

I know this is probably a troll post but for me it's the exact opposite. I finally upgraded my PC a couple of months ago and now I'm almost hating playing on PS5.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Games like Divinity OS2 is a great choice, but in the end they released their game on every platform available even Nintendo Switch, which means PC exclusives are not a thing for any big game, as soon as a game gets big, they release it on consoles.
Can you tell me when Bloodborne will be on PC, The Last of Us? Uncharted? Zelda? Never! So why dont the PC gaming own at least 1 big budget title and stick with it and never release it on console.

The only one I'd be confident among that list is Zelda...

Bloodborne has long been rumored and I would not be surprised to see it come to PC. If Horizon: Zero Dawn and the Quantic Dream games can happen, then so can others.

S0ULZB0URNE

Clickbait article.

This is so retarded. CP2077 runs like shit on PS5 and crashes out regularly and has no next-gen features like Ray tracing. Watchdogs Legion runs worse than a 2060 Super without DLSS being factored in. Lastly, The Medium isn't on PS5.

Contrary to the article, I haven't seen anything from consoles yet that would justify an upgrade from PC last-gen $300-400 cards like 5700/5700XT/2060S.
PS5 version of CP 2077 hasn't released.

Guilty_AI

I think you're mixing stuff up. PS/Xbox/Nintendo are closed platforms and PC is an open one.
The way things work on the console space and on the PC space are completely different, imagine if i started critizing Nintendo for not having enough simulators.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PS5 version of CP 2077 hasn't released.
So the cross-gen version that lacks next-gen features like RT, crashes regularly, has no mods, and was removed from the PS Store made him regret PC gaming? Along with a PC/Xbox exclusive and a game that runs better on a 2060 Super?

I stand by my assertion this is retarded clickbait.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I know the next move. He gets people to list up games and then writes up a post dismissing each of them for "reasons" (coming to console one day, too niche, not graphically impressive, etc. etc.) It's pretty transparent what the tactic is. If he genuinely wanted to know about PC exclusives it's as simple as Googling "PC exclusive" and clicking a couple of links.

edit: see! he's already moving the goal post to "big budget PC exclusives"
Agreed. Personally I'm looking forward to this more than anything else in 2021:
header.jpg

5Sp59rfUy3eFfi7YER8ix-970-80.jpg.webp

Too bad its not a AAA Hollywood blockbuster directed by Christopher Nolan like the PS5 games.

Blond

Banned
You try playing HZD on PC and see the difference from the godawful Pro version.
I’m not paying 1200 dollars just to do that. My pro played it just fine at 4k be it checker-boarding or whatever so I'm not actually worried at all about it.

Loope

Agreed. Personally I'm looking forward to this more than anything else in 2021:
header.jpg

5Sp59rfUy3eFfi7YER8ix-970-80.jpg.webp

Too bad its not a AAA Hollywood blockbuster directed by Christopher Nolan like the PS5 games.
Fucking hell man, leave Nolan out of this. If he were to be a shitty director that directed games i would pitty the man.

Also Baldur's Gate is immense.

Mister Wolf

Fucking hell man, leave Nolan out of this. If he were to be a shitty director that directed games i would pitty the man.

Also Baldur's Gate is immense.
That early access was more enjoyable than anything else I played last year. It was so good I had to force myself to stop playing it.

Last edited:
As someone who splurged and impulse bought a new CPU and GPU recently, I kinda agree with a lot of the OP.

I love my PC, and will always enjoy gaming on it. a 5900x/3080 combo at 1440p means I am running everything maxed at triple digit FPS almost all the time so far.

That being said, I just spend way more time on my PS5. For every hour I spend gaming on my PC, I probably spend 5 hours on my PS5. Trophies are a big part of that, but so is just the overall experience. Most of my friends are console gamers, I do not really have a regular person or crew I game with on PC.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
My PS5 can't play hades, iracing or automobilista 2 so it remains unplugged until I get round to trying out Control on it.

Yes the PS5 plays some games at 4k but the settings are reduced from what they are on PC. This article is ridiculous.

Kuranghi

I’m not paying 1200 dollars just to do that. My pro played it just fine at 4k be it checker-boarding or whatever so I'm not actually worried at all about it.

You've dodged a bullet really, as its even stupider than that, you'd need to drop a few ton more than 1200 on a PC, the extra being for an 800+ GPU to brute force the shitty optimisation of the PC port. You definitely should NOT buy a PC just to play HZD, maybe in a 3 years when the 400 sku GPU will give you 2021 1200 dollar sku performance.

edit - I meant to run it at 4K60, ie higher settings than the PS4 Pro. Even native 4K30 would be an improvement I guess though.

Some of the biggest jumps you can get is for RE engines games, since the engine is so performant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom