• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 is a lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh......another "generations" thread?

Never Mind Homer GIF by MOODMAN

This forum needs an "auto-ignore" feature for bitching and whining for the sake of bitching and whining.

FunkMiller

I'm probably older than you but thanks the had hominen
All you are saying is false :
  • there no less good game
  • there no less value and diversity in them (it's the reverse actually if your vision is not mainstream AAA limited)
  • publisher releasing content everywhere today have litlle to do with competition or lack of it (it's more because you can scale most game design to most platform with actual hardware and tools)
Alll you have done here is vomiting a false DOXA using the usual element of communication of plastic box biased people by the letter.
Current situation give consumer choices, and thoses choices make it easier to skip the closed plastic box.
The real fear is not a monopoly here it's for one of the plastic box brand and nothing else....

Is English not your first language? Because some of this makes no sense. Why do you keep going on about plastic box brands?

Across the board, the video games industry is in the worst position its been in for years. The levels of greed and laziness have never been higher. Generations are pretty much dead at this point, as are console exclusives. That's the fact of the matter. There's still a lot of good games out there, but the industry as a whole is a fucking quagmire.

Last edited:

martino

Is English not your first language? Because some of this makes no sense. Why do you keep going on about plastic box brands?

Across the board, the video games industry is in the worst position its been in for years. The levels of greed and laziness have never been higher.
again only because your vision of it is limited.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have played some killer PS5 games so far.

With Horizon getting delayed so there is a few months between blockbuster titles but the future is silly bright

calm down chill out GIF

AGRacing

Gold Member
History should've shown you to never be an early adopter. Sony always show you the games that suppose to launch and then go "lol, no, coming the following year or two years from original date". All the spicy games will be there in '23.

I disagree. History has shown the opposite as far as I'm concerned. There was nothing like hearing the Sega Genesis tell you "rise from your grave". Or showing your friends Ridge Racer for the first time... them not even believing what they were seeing. Power Stone on Dreamcast and that entire first year was amazing. Ridge Racer V was jaggy but awesome. The 360 launch was incredible. Playing Wipeout Pure on day 1 for PSP felt like an incredible technological leap and it was a great game . Mario 64!!!!

Launches sucking is a new thing... not an old thing.

Last edited:

Boglin

Then I should deduct a year off of my life since the first 12 months don’t count.
Yes, I believe that's fine.

On another note, I have a couple of cookies and after finishing one cookie, I'm now ready to start eating my first cookie. Cookies also follow the same rules as years do.

clarky

Gold Member
Things are just starting to heat up, with Halo and Forza. Next year should be one of the best years ever for gaming the release schedule is insane, which ever box you've got. we are looking at a fantastic 2022. Don't see any issues from were I'm sitting.

Year zero was so so, year one looks great!

Last edited:
Launch years are usually sparse with next gen games. Sony has released some, Xbox hasn't till the end of the 1st year and 3rd party has really only done a few. 2nd year is going to be way better but this is typical of 1st years on consoles.

You are confusing 1 year old in how we describe someone's age to how we describe time itself. A person can be 1 year old, and yet in their second year at the same time. If you marry someone and celebrate your first year anniversary with them, you will never say you are still in the 1st year of that relationship. That year 1 has passed. You two are now in the second year of your relationship.

The moment clock turns midnight on November 15th 2021, the PS5 will be in its SECOND year. It will be 1 years old, but any game released on the PS5 from there on in will be released in its SECOND year. Otherwise, you'd say Horizon 2 released in PS5's first AND second year which is obviously incorrect.

Here are two ways to describe this:
1) Horizon Forbidden West released in the second year of the PS5's life cycle.
2) PS5 was 1 year old when Horizon Forbidden West released.

Both are correct, but you cant say PS5 was 1 year old and that Horizon released in the first year of the PS5 life cycle. That is incorrect.
More then 15 post about what is year one and what is year two.....Talking about making an elephant out of a mouse...
Dudes who cares, who is giving a "blieb" about this "problem". Get a life🙄

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Across the board, the video games industry is in the worst position its been in for years. The levels of greed and laziness have never been higher. Generations are pretty much dead at this point, as are console exclusives. That's the fact of the matter. There's still a lot of good games out there, but the industry as a whole is a fucking quagmire.
Hes trying to paint you as a console warrior who hates Sony even though you are clearly talking about the industry as a whole. Even the OP pointed out how MS is guilty of pretty much the same. But nope, it's easy to dismiss opinions if you can just paint everyone as a fanboy.

Looking back it is kind of funny how they played everyone. That’s why Sony is always goes second when it comes to presentations

In regards to the presentations Microsoft acts more like the market leader than Sony (they aren't of course). Always first and (for the moment) very much the more pro consumer strategy.

Sony has indeed been a little disingenuous at times. No one can deny it was beneath them to allow Microsoft to take the PR blow for announcing cross-gen for two years of Xbox and reaping the benefits with the whole "We believe in generations" talk. Then over the next 6 months stealthily reversing that decision with the next batch of next-gen only games now being released on PS4. It may be the cynic in me but is it a coincidence that those very games have all been delayed into next year?

Last edited:

MikeM

COVID has delayed a lot of these games. Regardless of whether they are cross-gen or not, I have no regrets in buying the PS5 (and Series X). I'm having a fantastic experience and that's all that matters to me.

Games that made me not regret buying these consoles regardless of system:

Doom Eternal (PS5- dualsense, 120 fps)
Metro Exodus (PS5- dualsense, RT)
COD CW (PS5- 120 fps, dualsense)
COD WZ (PS5 and Series X-120 fps)
Metro Redux Collection (Series X- 120 fps)
Crysis Remastered (Series X- it runs properly!)
AC Unity (Series X- 60 fps).

FritzJ92

Yes, I believe that's fine.

On another note, I have a couple of cookies and after finishing one cookie, I'm now ready to start eating my first cookie. Cookies also follow the same rules as years do.
Man I’ve been living life wrong. Yesterday I finally beat Deaths Door, so next I’m playing Echo Generations and will finally beat my first game.

Swift_Star

Banned
Because we already know Sony's year 2 slate? Forspoken is the only next gen exclusive they have lined up for 2022. Gow, horizon, gt7 are all cross gen.

They are revealing 2023 titles like Spiderman and 2024 titles like Wolverine. You really think they are hiding a next gen only game in their pockets to reveal and release within a year?
Among those we have a lot of third parties coming... Why are people worried about this? Are exclusives the only games that matter? Do you people really have that much free time? I can't make time to play everything I want rn so I'm not worried at all, besides, I have other stuff to do beyond playing games lol.

Last edited:

martino

Hes trying to paint you as a console warrior who hates Sony even though you are clearly talking about the industry as a whole. Even the OP pointed out how MS is guilty of pretty much the same. But nope, it's easy to dismiss opinions if you can just paint everyone as a fanboy.
Not really monopoly fear on this board mostly comes from one part of the community and it's not MS one.
I'm talking globally too but i'm sorry someone telling you value for consummers comes form exclusives and generation....clearly confuse plastic box and consumers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I disagree. History has shown the opposite as far as I'm concerned. There was nothing like hearing the Sega Genesis tell you "ride from your grave". Or showing your friends Ridge Racer for the first time... them not even believing what they were seeing. Power Stone on Dreamcast and that entire first year was amazing. Ridge Racer V was jaggy but awesome. The 360 launch was incredible. Playing Wipeout Pure on day 1 for PSP felt like an incredible technological leap and it was a great game . Mario 64!!!!

Launches sucking is a new thing... not an old thing.
This. I listed PS exlcusives going back to PS2 and it was never this bad. Even the PS4 which had a rough first year was pretty damn decent after Bloodborne launched in year 2. Sony has had a decent year with Returnal and Ratchet, but next year is barebones as fuck. Every single first party game from Sony is last gen. How can year 2 be worse than year 1?

Last gen, Xbox One launched with Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising 3. All next gen showpieces. Ryse sucked but it was a stunner. Then Titanfall in March and Sunset Overdrive in October. Way better than what they have had so far. Forza and Halo should end the year strong, but they are still cross gen. At least Forza is pushing next gen terrain, Halo seems to be just a good looking last gen title.

The only thing I will concede about launch lineups is that they tend to be mediocre while the truly genre defining titles come in around year 3 to 5. Uncharted wasnt the best Uncharted. Resistance wasnt the best Resistance and even MGS2 wasnt the best MGS that gen. Ryse and KZSF sucked, but my goodness they justified that $500 and $400 purchase on day one.

yurinka

Most of Microsoft announced titles are next gen only.

Starfield
Avowed
Perfect Dark
InXile FPS RPG (has been confirmed, just not officially announced)
Hellblade 2
Forza Motorsport
Contraband
Redfall
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
Indiana Jones (not confirmed, but safe bet)
Flight Simulator

PS5 next gen only games
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Destruction AllStars
Demon's Souls
Astro's Playroom? I think it is.
Deathloop (Next-Gen only PS5 timed exclusive)
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Next-Gen only PS5 timed exclusive)

So there have been some.
Notice that excluding the delayed Ghostwire Tokyo all the Sony ones already have been released (you forgot to include Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine). Meanwhile in MS only FS has been published and many of the other ones won't be released before 2023.

Demon's Souls Remake, Rachet & Clank: Rift Apart, Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5 (coming up)...I mean if you want to talk about new games at graphics fidelity and framerates that'd of killed older hardware, we've already gotten a few of them and a lot more will be coming over the next few months.

You just need to realize this isn't the same games market that existed in 2006.

DrAspirino

Banned
I've said it before and people here in GAF laughed at me, trolled me, and such... but facts remains, even if those people don't like it: The moment Xbox/Playstation entered the x86 realm, generations as we knew it were done for, due to the extreme scalability of said architecture.

Bitch, whine, cry all you want, but those are the facts.

Oh, and be prepared to see A LOT of PS5/Xbox in-house titles being ported to PC, thus becoming "non-exclusives" (as fanboys may say), simply because of how easy it is to port something from one platform (PS5/Xbox) to another (PC) when all of them share basically the same architecture.

Last edited:

JCK75

I've taken no issue with the crossgen decisions on either platform from the very beginning, supply is constrained and they need to actually sell these games.

Raven117

Gold Member
Beginning of the generation and a pandemic...yeah, its going to be slow (and it really hasn't been all THAT slow).

Kacho

Gold Member
If budgets weren’t astronomical, we didn’t have multi-year dev cycles, and companies weren’t so risk-averse we’d be seeing a lot more next-gen games like the good ole days.

At least we’re seeing higher framerates on cross-gen titles. That’s at least one positive here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, makes me feel like other platforms are showing something different/better. But this cycle must keep going that the coil whine thread bump method is getting too old.
I mean, it's no coincidence these threads usually pop up right when there is a SoP or Sony makes announcements like Bluepoint acquisitions and the like. Or maybe it is, and something triggers in select console Manchurian candidates to make a post. "pie_tears_joy:
manchurian candidate loading GIF by University of Alaska Fairbanks

FunkMiller

Yeah, I kinda figured he was playing the console warrior game, but I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt to at least attempt to explain himself.

Tell you what though... if more video game fans grew up and stopped fighting a non-existent war with people who like the other boxes, and instead pitched their frustration at the people responsible for the way the industry is, then maybe things would actually improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom