• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 is a lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCU005

I just wanted to make a small thread about the current state of games on PS5, and how everybody (including me) criticized Microsoft about their first games' showcase for Xbox Series X because all, if not most of the games unveiled were cross-gen.

Then, Sony released their PlayStation showcase, announcing all these games and everybody (including me) were so excited about the future of PlayStation, and how all these games looked so good. Everybody made reaction videos on Youtube and said that Sony won by a land side and that XSX had nothing to offer!

Move forward to today, and I just realized that almost every game announced for PS5 since then has been cross gen, even games that were announced later like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

While I understand that they don't want to ignore a 100 million user base, I feel like this gen hasn't even started yet. I remember when the PS4 launched, I was already excited by games that were announced for the console that were going to be out in 2014 and beyond, like inFamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, etc.

Were are about to enter the PS5 second year, and how many games have they announced that will be PS5 only? Worst of all, we don't even know if games that they announced, are going to come out and they just haven't told us yet, exactly like it happened with GT, Horizon and GOW! They lied!

Well, let's be objective. They din't lie! Sony was smart(ass) about it, and probably since they watched the bad reaction from Xbox Series X showcase, they prefer to omit that 99% of those games were cross-gen.

I believe this is the first generation which doesn't really have excitement for games in regard of the new gen power. Like, remember when they announced all those games for PS3 and looked so incredible (whether they turned out good or bad)? Remember Motorstorm, FFvXIII, LAIR, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, MGS4? All those game looked way beyond anything that was made before.

During PS4 announcement, even inFamous Second Son looks so great at the time! Hell, The Order 1886 still looks amazing! Yet, during PS5, there hasn only been one new AAA IP announcement, and the excitement comes from the established franchise, not exactly because they looks so good. Yes, they look better than before, but not something as good as PS2 to PS3 or PS3 to PS4!

Also, sadly, the same can be said of Xbox Series X. Microsoft hasn't also announced anything truly next-gen! What's going on? People will said, COVID happened, but this is not just about COVID at all. It's weird that Sony is not leading with the games as they have before. I think it's because PlayStation Studios are stretching themselves so they can do movies and tv shows, when IMO, they should just stick with games since that's what they know and do best.

nani17

are in a big trouble
The_cake_is_a_lie.jpg

All jokes aside I think things will pick up in a year or two it hasn't been the best for both systems but they'll sort it out

Banned
true, but I can't say it enough... there are no big next gen games because there can't be. diminishing returns + a pretty small jump in GPU performance compared to the mid gen refreshes of the last gen systems results in games that look only marginally better than last gen games.

what we will see this gen is a refinement of last gen graphics + better performance. not a big jump like from PS2 to PS3 or even PS3 to PS4.

every time I bring this up you see the same old responses "but wait until we see next gen only titles", "wait until the developers fully utilize the new consoles"... yeah sure games will look better and better, but they will never look like a gigantic leap or even like something that can't be scaled down to PS4 or at least One X

if something will not be able to be scaled down it will be CPU related issues, not GPU related stuff. and CPU related stuff is simply most of the time not really that big of a limiting factor for most games.

during the PS3 to PS4 jump, scaling down games to run on PS3 was not easy, so you saw a lot of "next gen only" games back then simply because they could not be scaled down without a huge effort from a dedicated team. games on PS4 used effects and graphics tech that simply could not run on PS3 without completely tanking the performance. so those game would have needed a complete overhaul in the way they were shaded, the way they are lit and how the textures are handled to even be possible to scale down to PS3.

but PS5 to PS4? just reduce LOD distance, reduce Texture res, reduce resolution and take out Raytracing. these things can be done by a small side team in absolutely no time, especially since Raytracing is often optional to begin with on the PS5 version, the rest is basically just using different values in the config file

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
architecture-wise this is the closest 2 gens have ever been, plus until understanding and implemenation of the novel features (ssd, newer gpu features) or better cpu of the xsx ps5 are better utilized/understood the amount of over head to downgrade is pretty high 1/4 the resolution and 1/2 the frame rate add in no ray tracing and bam a last gen port isn't some amazing thing, and if you really want the premium experience, shorter loads/better visuals/better frame rate isn't exactly a terrible thing.

faraany3k

Banned
Every console takes 3rd year to bring true next gen games. By year 5 the hardware starts showing its age. A console really has 2 to 3 good years.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I didn't have a PS4 so I've been having a blast with PS4 exclusives like:

FF7 Remake
Ghost of Tsushima (and 60 fps too!)
Persona 5 Royal
Dragon's Crown Pro
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Other than Astro's Playroom, Gran Turismo 7 will be my first PS5 exclusive. I've been having a great time with it in the meanwhile though.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The market is ripe for a quad gpu intel power box for $999. One rule - no cross platform games allowed. Intel to subsidize all games at 90% cost of development.
They have 8 billion in cash and are posting 3 billion in profit per quarter, they can afford it......

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
I've loved the brand since day 1... bought everything... and I own a PS5 now.

Something feels off to me. That's often dismissed as a "boomer" problem. Fair enough.

Maybe I'll be happy once Horizon and GT7 drop... but for me the delay of those games really diminished the hype of buying the thing at launch. I understand the launch isn't important to a lot of people.. but it's always been a big deal to me... and you only get to do it once per console. I wasn't a fan of this one. A big reason is that we aren't seeing the massive technical leaps of the PS2, PS3... so we need incredible exclusive games in their place.

I just recently played GT3 ... and the feeling of booting that game in 2001 was absolutely incredible. New consoles "well you can play this on the last gen... just in lower resolution". Nowhere near as exciting.

I also own a Series X. And because of Forza and Halo it will probably be the only console I really play over the holiday ... a first for an Xbox console in this house.

And last... that state of play this afternoon made me sick to my stomach.

Here's to a better 2022, Sony.

Both consoles have had pretty lame first years for me - ratchet was cool. Deathloop was probably the most fun Ps5 exclusive for me. Resident Evil was the best game tho imo - the thing making Xbox more playable currently is the gamepass stuff

ultrazilla

I just wanted to make a small thread about the current state of games on PS5, and how everybody (including me) criticized Microsoft about their first games' showcase for Xbox Series X because all, if not most of the games unveiled were cross-gen.

Then, Sony released their PlayStation showcase, announcing all these games and everybody (including me) were so excited about the future of PlayStation, and how all these games looked so good. Everybody made reaction videos on Youtube and said that Sony won by a land side and that XSX had nothing to offer!

Move forward to today, and I just realized that almost every game announced for PS5 since then has been cross gen, even games that were announced later like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

While I understand that they don't want to ignore a 100 million user base, I feel like this gen hasn't even started yet. I remember when the PS4 launched, I was already excited by games that were announced for the console that were going to be out in 2014 and beyond, like inFamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, etc.

Were are about to enter the PS5 second year, and how many games have they announced that will be PS5 only? Worst of all, we don't even know if games that they announced, are going to come out and they just haven't told us yet, exactly like it happened with GT, Horizon and GOW! They lied!

Well, let's be objective. They din't lie! Sony was smart(ass) about it, and probably since they watched the bad reaction from Xbox Series X showcase, they prefer to omit that 99% of those games were cross-gen.

I believe this is the first generation which doesn't really have excitement for games in regard of the new gen power. Like, remember when they announced all those games for PS3 and looked so incredible (whether they turned out good or bad)? Remember Motorstorm, FFvXIII, LAIR, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, MGS4? All those game looked way beyond anything that was made before.

During PS4 announcement, even inFamous Second Son looks so great at the time! Hell, The Order 1886 still looks amazing! Yet, during PS5, there hasn only been one new AAA IP announcement, and the excitement comes from the established franchise, not exactly because they looks so good. Yes, they look better than before, but not something as good as PS2 to PS3 or PS3 to PS4!

Also, sadly, the same can be said of Xbox Series X. Microsoft hasn't also announced anything truly next-gen! What's going on? People will said, COVID happened, but this is not just about COVID at all. It's weird that Sony is not leading with the games as they have before. I think it's because PlayStation Studios are stretching themselves so they can do movies and tv shows, when IMO, they should just stick with games since that's what they know and do best.
200.gif

Ryu Kaiba

Makes sense that they were ready to dump the PS3 architecture and move on quickly. Furthermore most devs haven't even caught up to the capabilities of Naughty Dog in the PS3 era. This gen should be about refinement.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you trolling me. If you have a baby year 1 starts at birth, year two begins after year one is completed.
Maybe English isn’t your native language or the style used to count the years isn’t something you are familiar

But when you enter in second year of the college? The second year start at 1 year and 1 day and ends when it make 2 years.

PS5 Year 1 started in November 2020 and ends in November 2021.
PS5 Year 2 starts in November 2021 and ends in November 2022.

Edit - Sorry quoted the wrong guy lol

Last edited:
I been enjoying the hell out of the games released on all platforms this year. Been a good year for me and my backlog is looking chunky...and when SMT, Forza, and a few other games drop? My backlog gone be quite hefty again after I'd finally cleared it for the most part last year lol

Most of Microsoft announced titles are next gen only.

Starfield
Avowed
Perfect Dark
InXile FPS RPG (has been confirmed, just not officially announced)
Hellblade 2
Forza Motorsport
Contraband
Redfall
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
Indiana Jones (not confirmed, but safe bet)
Flight Simulator

PS5 next gen only games
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Destruction AllStars
Demon's Souls
Astro's Playroom? I think it is.
Deathloop (Next-Gen only PS5 timed exclusive)
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Next-Gen only PS5 timed exclusive)

So there have been some.

Banned
Most of Microsoft announced titles are next gen only.

Starfield
Avowed
Perfect Dark
InXile FPS RPG (has been confirmed, just not officially announced)
Hellblade 2
Forza Motorsport
Contraband
Redfall
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
Indiana Jones (not confirmed, but safe bet)
Flight Simulator

PS5 next gen only games
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Destruction AllStars
Demon's Souls
Astro's Playroom? I think it is.
Deathloop (Next-Gen only PS5 timed exclusive)
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Next-Gen only PS5 timed exclusive)

So there have been some.

I wonder if they will port Deathloop to Xbox One tho... for real, could be easily done... :pie_thinking:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Great post and 100% agree. It's been a pretty shameful gen from both console makers. Everyone is blaming covid19 as if these cross gen games that started dev in 2017 and 2018 had time traveled into the future and knew there was a pandemic on the way. Nah, this was always the plan. They were always going to launch this console with cross gen games.

If anything, the pandemic has given them a great excuse to hide behind. The suits cashing their millions can just say hey, the pandemic forced me to change my plans and offer this to the poor souls who cant afford to upgrade. Nevermind the fact that both consoles are selling roughly on par with their predecessors. Sony a bit more higher than the PS4. MS a bit lower than the X1.

I am glad you brought up the PS3 lineup because I remember everyone completely trashing its E3 2006 conference, and the first year. Even though Resistance, motorstorm, heavenly sword, ratchet, uncharted and warhawk all launched in the first year. MGS4 got delayed but was out in the next six months. GTA4 too. I guess standards were higher back then. In the next 6 months, we are staring at two more last gen games from sony.

It's a sad sorry state of affairs, and the media doesnt call them out. Critics review games like its business as usual. no one asks why Sony and MS charged everyone $500 for the same game but at 60 fps. Even DF refuses to delve too deep into ethnical analysis of last gen looking games. No criticism of games not looking next gen. Forums are full of people defending both companies with excuses like the pandemic and chip shortages.

The next next gen only game from Sony is literally 2 years away. Think about that for a second. We are already a year in, and we have to wait two more years for a next gen AAA first party game from sony.

GreatnessRD

History should've shown you to never be an early adopter. Sony always show you the games that suppose to launch and then go "lol, no, coming the following year or two years from original date". All the spicy games will be there in '23.

This is your first console generation since you hit puberty huh, OP?

I legit don't understand anyone who expects mind blowing games with these fantastic visuals in the first year of a gaming generation, as we move further and further into the future.

Games are becoming much bigger, the developments longer, and the visual fidelity higher - this will be a problem that continues to grow with each new generation.

Just be happy that by next year you'll get Horizon, Spiderman, and etc etc.

That's at least one year faster before the last generation got really started.

Banned
History should've shown you to never be an early adopter. Sony always show you the games that suppose to launch and then go "lol, no, coming the following year or two years from original date". All the spicy games will be there in '23.

or coming one gen later...
Ni-Oh, The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII say hi :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

RayHell

Nope.
Babies you start counting the months until 12 months pass then they turn 1.

We use month to be more exact. It's the 12 first month of the first year.

Well, they’d be 1 and x months after turning 1.
2 is from 24 months onwards.
Dude just stop you're wrong. It's one year after 365 days are completed. After that you start the completion of the second year.

By your logic January is the month 0 until we reach February.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Yeah, Sony absolutely misrepresented it's approach and the platforms of its biggest titles for cheap PR wins. But... say what you want about Sony lying point-blank to their fan boys for PR points, they still actually turned up to the launch of their next-gen games console with, you know, games. One very fair criticism of Microsoft is that its only now about to drop its first round of big exclusives - an entire year after launching the console. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm absolutely loving my Xbox Series X, and have enjoyed a good number of titles - new and old - over the past year. But, the fact is that Microsoft really didn't have an answer to Demon's Souls, Spider-man, or Ratchet and Clank, which served PlayStation as next-gen showcases. Of course, Sony has no response to Forza and Halo this Christmas, so, maybe Microsoft's approach will actually win out.

Dream-Knife

Banned
true, but I can't say it enough... there are no big next gen games because there can't be. diminishing returns + a pretty small jump in GPU performance compared to the mid gen refreshes of the last gen systems results in games that look only marginally better than last gen games.

what we will see this gen is a refinement of last gen graphics + better performance. not a big jump like from PS2 to PS3 or even PS3 to PS4.

every time I bring this up you see the same old responses "but wait until we see next gen only titles", "wait until the developers fully utilize the new consoles"... yeah sure games will look better and better, but they will never look like a gigantic leap or even like something that can't be scaled down to PS4 or at least One X

if something will not be able to be scaled down it will be CPU related issues, not GPU related stuff. and CPU related stuff is simply most of the time not really that big of a limiting factor for most games.

during the PS3 to PS4 jump, scaling down games to run on PS3 was not easy, so you saw a lot of "next gen only" games back then simply because they could not be scaled down without a huge effort from a dedicated team. games on PS4 used effects and graphics tech that simply could not run on PS3 without completely tanking the performance. so those game would have needed a complete overhaul in the way they were shaded, the way they are lit and how the textures are handled to even be possible to scale down to PS3.

but PS5 to PS4? just reduce LOD distance, reduce Texture res, reduce resolution and take out Raytracing. these things can be done by a small side team in absolutely no time, especially since Raytracing is often optional to begin with on the PS5 version, the rest is basically just using different values in the config file
It's pretty much true on the PC side as well. Consoles follow PC, and PC hasn't really pushed the boundaries like people expect.

Perhaps we are nearing the limits of conventional video games.

On topic of this thread:
Games are cross gen because we have yet to have games that can't be downported somehow to the older hardware.

Although i will admit that few exciting titles have released on "next gen" so far. The industry is changing, and the generation beginning. You will likely never be blown away by a generational leap again for non-VR titles.

Banned
It's pretty much true on the PC side as well. Consoles follow PC, and PC hasn't really pushed the boundaries like people expect.

Perhaps we are nearing the limits of conventional video games.

well we almost hit the limits of rasterization basically
until raytracing becomes performant enough and widespread enough, we will not see any more really big jumps in game fidelity

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah I kind of agree that Sony has handled the start of this gen poorly. Announcements of Ps5 games that then turn out to be cross gen was pretty darn crappy.

But despite all that I still think they’ve managed to deliver a better experience then MS in the first year, with Demon Souls, Returnal etc.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, they’d be 1 and x months after turning 1.
2 is from 24 months onwards.
You go to work on Monday. That's the first day of the week. At 9am Tuesday you are back at work. That's the second day of the week. You don't have to wait until you're getting out of bed on Wednesday to talk about the second day.

Last edited:

RayHell

Year one starts. The PS5 is not Out for two years so how's the second year starting??🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Launch ______________Out for 1 year/ Year 2 start______________________.Year 2 end
|------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
______________First Year______________________________Second Year

Last edited:
I wonder if they will port Deathloop to Xbox One tho... for real, could be easily done... :pie_thinking:

Doubtful. Seems Bethesda are well into the next-gen only mindset at this stage for all their newer titles that aren't legacy games or existing games that require support.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
History has shown the opposite.

First 2 years PS2
  1. Tekken Tag Tournament
  2. DMC
  3. Ico
  4. GTA3
  5. MGS2
  6. FFX
  7. Jak and Daxter
  8. Ratchet
  9. GTA Vice City
  10. Burnout 2
  11. Kingdom Hearts

First two years of PS3
  1. Resistance
  2. Motorstorm
  3. Heavenly Sword
  4. Uncharted
  5. Ratchet
  6. Warhawk
  7. GTA4
  8. MGS4
  9. LBP
  10. Socom Confrontation
  11. Resistance 2
  12. Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Year 1-2 PS4
  1. Killzone Shadowfall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. DriveClub
  6. Bloodborne
  7. Until Dawn
  8. The Order
First 2 years PS5
  1. Returnal
  2. Ratchet
  3. Deathloop
  4. Forspoken
Thats it. the rest are last gen games. And none of these games are a giant step up from last gen like KZSF, The order and Infmaous Second Son were. Maybe Ratchet. But thats just 1 game. Deathloop, Returnal and FOrspoken look worse than Horizon which is cross gen. Some games do get delayed like GTA4 and MGS4 did, but they still released a year and a half into the gen. This time around, the games that were delayed out of the first year were last gen.

The OP knows his history.

RayHell

History has shown the opposite.

First 2 years PS2
  1. Tekken Tag Tournament
  2. DMC
  3. Ico
  4. GTA3
  5. MGS2
  6. FFX
  7. Jak and Daxter
  8. Ratchet
  9. GTA Vice City
  10. Burnout 2
  11. Kingdom Hearts

First two years of PS3
  1. Resistance
  2. Motorstorm
  3. Heavenly Sword
  4. Uncharted
  5. Ratchet
  6. Warhawk
  7. GTA4
  8. MGS4
  9. LBP
  10. Socom Confrontation
  11. Resistance 2
  12. Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Year 1-2 PS4
  1. Killzone Shadowfall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. DriveClub
  6. Bloodborne
  7. Until Dawn
  8. The Order
First 2 years PS5
  1. Returnal
  2. Ratchet
  3. Deathloop
  4. Forspoken
Thats it. the rest are last gen games. And none of these games are a giant step up from last gen like KZSF, The order and Infmaous Second Son were. Maybe Ratchet. But thats just 1 game. Deathloop, Returnal and FOrspoken look worse than Horizon which is cross gen. Some games do get delayed like GTA4 and MGS4 did, but they still released a year and a half into the gen. This time around, the games that were delayed out of the first year were last gen.

The OP knows his history.
Year 2 didn't even start yet. Why are you including those ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom