• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Blu-Ray Edition Just Dropped Under $700 on StockX - When Do You Think It Will Drop to Under $600?

Bluecondor

Let me preface this by stating that I agree (at least in principle) with the general sentiment on here that we shouldn't pay premium prices for the PS5 on StockX and Ebay, since this rewards and incentivizes scalping. Right now, I am willing to wait until I can walk into Wal-Mart and buy a PS5 off the shelf, even if that doesn't happen until 2022.

That said, I have to admit that I will slightly budge on this stance if an amazing PS5 game is coming out. For example, if the upgraded GTAV that is supposedly coming out in November includes a really nice remake of GTA III, I will now have a sense of urgency. I think I could stomach paying $600 for a scalped PS5 if there was a game I really wanted (although I would still try to land one first through the PS5 restock pages on Twitter, etc.).

I frequently check the price of the PS5 on StockX, and noticed today that the asking price dropped under $700:

Any predictions on when the asking price will drop under $600? In addition to this being a more palatable price to pay for one, the <$600 pricepoint will also make scalping less desirable.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Let me preface this by stating that I agree (at least in principle) with the general sentiment on here that we shouldn't pay premium prices for the PS5 on StockX and Ebay, since this rewards and incentivizes scalping. Right now, I am willing to wait until I can walk into Wal-Mart and buy a PS5 off the shelf, even if that doesn't happen until 2022.

That said, I have to admit that I will slightly budge on this stance if an amazing PS5 game is coming out. For example, if the upgraded GTAV that is supposedly coming out in November includes a really nice remake of GTA III, I will now have a sense of urgency. I think I could stomach paying $600 for a scalped PS5 if there was a game I really wanted (although I would still try to land one first through the PS5 restock pages on Twitter, etc.).

I frequently check the price of the PS5 on StockX, and noticed today that the asking price dropped under $700:

Any predictions on when the asking price will drop under $600? In addition to this being a more palatable price to pay for one, the <$600 pricepoint will also make scalping less desirable.

Is that your auction link?

Bluecondor

Is that your auction link?
LOL - no, I have actually never bought or sold anything on StockX. I like to check the PS5 price on StockX though, as it is a simple click to get to it, and it seems like a decent measure of "current market price." Prior to StockX (like a few years back when I was first trying to buy a PS4 after it released), I would have to type in "PS4" on Ebay and then look at several listings to try and gauge the current market price.

Bluecondor

Not long. You aren't getting much on the top when prices are that low. You lose $50 to shipping and 10-15% to various seller fees and taxes. Some people will still do it, but it's not as attractive for the casual scalper.
I was thinking the same thing . When it drops to <$650, you've got to think that a lot of scalpers will stop making the effort.

The only factor to reverse the trend is that as we get closer to Christmas, demand could increase and we could be back to $750-$800.

It does seem like several major retailers (Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, Gamestop) have had pretty regular restocks over the past few week though.

Bluecondor

Probably never.

Think buying a console from StockX would be weird though.
I agree. I would probably end up buying one on Ebay instead (and hopefully can hold out until I buy one off the shelf at Wal-Mart).

That said, kids that I teach swear by StockX. They use it to buy and sell sneakers because StockX handles the transaction and verifies the authenticity of the sneaker. This seems like overkill for a PS5, but again, I like it for the current market price.

Oh shit. I can make the worst decision of my life and sell my ps5 for $200 profit.

unrelated GIF

After tax it's like 550 already, with shipping and stock x fees no way it goes under 600. At that point its not worth the flip.
650 seems like a reasonable flip but even then I'd just wait

Kagey K

Banned
Oh shit. I can make the worst decision of my life and sell my ps5 for $200 profit.

unrelated GIF
Or you could make 200.00 and rebuy when it’s in stock.

I sold all my preorders for 100-150 more than MSRP.

Had I known it would be this hard to find I could have made way more. Same with my extra series X.

It’s a catch 22, and how bad do you want the system or the money?

Not what I like to hear as a scalper.
But I will buy a lot more of the old models to stockpile. A better cooler running PS5 should be very desirable going forward

Kagey K

Banned
But I will buy a lot more of the old models to stockpile. A better cooler running PS5 should be very desirable going forward
If you were really into scalping that Halo Xbox Xbox is going to be making mint.

The Series X is already more valuable most places, and that Halo version is going to rip wallets up.

If you were really into scalping that Halo Xbox Xbox is going to be making mint.

The Series X is already more valuable most places, and that Halo version is going to rip wallets up.
Already have 3 pre-ordered.
But I'm not from the US or UK, so Xbox is in less demand here.

Armorian

Banned
People should just get a Switch.

It's less expensive and it has fun games.

LOL

I can buy DE PS5 for ~616USD, I don't need this console but I like to make stupid decisions like that :messenger_grinning_smiling:

My library of PS3 and PS4 game is almost all digital but Sony pricing of new games is ridiculous... I think I will wait or not

Artistic

Think the average consumer isn't going to care about the difference.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think we are getting closer to mass availibility. One s/x and ps4/pro seem to be mostly out of the supply chain which means more manufacturing resources can be devoted to these new consoles. If I were to guess, by early 2022 we should start to see these new consoles regularly in stores. I was fortunate enough to get day one pre orders in for my series x and ps5, but i have a lot of friends who are still waiting for just one of them. My buddy was able to get a ps5 recently, now hes on the hunt for a series x. The main take away is that sales wise, both companies seem to be doing really well.

also to scalpers who are upset about this......
laughing-laughing-hysterically.gif

too fucking bad.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
There's really no reason to get a next gen console currently.
Wait another year to get one.

I know but I'm quite stupid :messenger_grinning_smiling: There is high chance I will have PS5 ordered tomorrow... but this time disk version and I don't even have 4K tv.

But this will make perfect performance in all PS4 games with downsampling in PS5 games and native or more resolution in all performance modes. Not bad...

Top Bottom