• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Price of Next Generation? | Let's Talk (NX Gamer)

But they could lock it down to a Game Pass only option and you get the Console free, much like a Sky+ box model, just see this as far too restricted of a POV to grow your markeplace as fast as possible as you leave money on the table, a great deal IMOP.

I can't see them giving the console for free even with a subscription. Maybe for a smaller amount though.
Though they'd then have to do something to make sure people don't just stop paying. Guess they could ban them from Xbox Live, but I am not sure that would be enough!

A disc drive these days are around 20 bucks. So Sony is going to eat the other 80 bucks per unit sold? I don't buy this notion. The more likely scenario is both are the same price with the digital version having more hard drive space or it being 50 bucks cheaper than the PS5

The key with the digital edition is that is mostly locks people into buying games from Sony (I say mostly because you can get digital codes and PSN wallet top ups elsewhere). That is a massive deal and could easily be worth $100 plus over the course of the systems life.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I dont believe anything till pachter says so.

Still like nx way more then df.
The only criticism he talks as fast as richard waves his hands around.

NXGamer

I dont believe anything till pachter says so.

Still like nx way more then df.
The only criticism he talks as fast as richard waves his hands around.
You are not wrong, my darling wife tells me this ALL THE TIME, the truth is I think fast and always talk fast but I do TRY and slow down here.

You can sometimes hear me start to say one word and then move into another as I have skipped over it already, this is why i have to go back and edit in some spots where I have done this.

As I tend to have little time, I always rush the videos in the space of a couple of hours, start to finish.

However, duly noted it is something I am actively working on. I find scripting helps but I sometimes do these videos within hours of thinking of a subject due to my personal/professional life time is always shorter than I would like.

Jtibh

Banned
You are not wrong, my darling wife tells me this ALL THE TIME, the truth is I think fast and always talk fast but I do TRY and slow down here.

You can sometimes hear me start to say one word and then move into another as I have skipped over it already, this is why i have to go back and edit in some spots where I have done this.

As I tend to have little time, I always rush the videos in the space of a couple of hours, start to finish.

However, duly noted it is something I am actively working on. I find scripting helps but I sometimes do these videos within hours of thinking of a subject due to my personal/professional life time is always shorter than I would like.
I understand.
I know a lot of people who are just like you.
Their mouth cant keep up with their brain as they think too fast and tend to skip words midd sentence cuz their mind is already 2 steps ahead.

So sometimes it makes it hard to follow and i have to ask them to repeat .

I cant ask you to repeat your lines can i lol

Its a shame you have so little subs makes me think not too many people even heard of you. Though must confess i myself are no sub of yours as i never sign into youtube for privacy reasons .
We all know they who ever they are create a profile of you based on your likings that maybe has no meaning today but in 10 years will be a part of your record. Already facebook is used for job interviews where you have to give them your account just to check into your private life and decide based on that.

You are more informative and less bling bling like df. I like the more proffesional approach of yours.

For pricing...i do agree though i still believe they will have a ps5 digital version at 499 just with a bigger ssd or free psn or psnow sub for a year

At 399 i am not sure why people would opt for the disc version .
Retail prices stay for a long time and sales on psn are almost every month ergo there is no way i would ever pay full price for a game when at least here within 2 months prices on the store fall by over 20 percent.
And with psn and psnow there is plenty of games to play that fill in the time till the next sale is on.
Also i have the option to share my library with my buddy so we split the bill.
I could not do that witha physical copy as we live a full ocean apart.

I am also sure retail will go away for good in the next year or two leaving amazone and co the only option to purchase discs.

mckmas8808

Banned
While I personally think the prices he predicts for the regular PS5 and Series X are probably about right, I think MS will want to put more clear water between the Series S and the disc-less PS5. For many people, for an extra $50 they would be tempted to just buy a 9TF disc-less PS5 rather than a 4TF Series S.

WTF is this?

At 399 i am not sure why people would opt for the disc version

1. Being able to play their disc based PS4 games, including upgrades to the PS5 version of some (e.g. FIFA etc).
  2. Being able to play UHD Bluray films, and even plain old DVDs (as it stands right now, my PS4 is my main DVD player believe it or not!).
  3. Despite PSN sales, games are often more expensive digitally. I picked up the Batman triple collection at the start of lockdown and the physical version I got was half the price of the digital version at the time.
  4. Choice and flexibility.

NXGamer

I understand.
I know a lot of people who are just like you.
Their mouth cant keep up with their brain as they think too fast and tend to skip words midd sentence cuz their mind is already 2 steps ahead.

So sometimes it makes it hard to follow and i have to ask them to repeat .

I cant ask you to repeat your lines can i lol

Its a shame you have so little subs makes me think not too many people even heard of you. Though must confess i myself are no sub of yours as i never sign into youtube for privacy reasons .
We all know they who ever they are create a profile of you based on your likings that maybe has no meaning today but in 10 years will be a part of your record. Already facebook is used for job interviews where you have to give them your account just to check into your private life and decide based on that.

You are more informative and less bling bling like df. I like the more proffesional approach of yours.

For pricing...i do agree though i still believe they will have a ps5 digital version at 499 just with a bigger ssd or free psn or psnow sub for a year

At 399 i am not sure why people would opt for the disc version .
Retail prices stay for a long time and sales on psn are almost every month ergo there is no way i would ever pay full price for a game when at least here within 2 months prices on the store fall by over 20 percent.
And with psn and psnow there is plenty of games to play that fill in the time till the next sale is on.
Also i have the option to share my library with my buddy so we split the bill.
I could not do that witha physical copy as we live a full ocean apart.

I am also sure retail will go away for good in the next year or two leaving amazone and co the only option to purchase discs.
Ha ha, yeah, maybe I record my videos in slow motion ;-)

Social media is horrendous and I agree, it has become a blanket for control and information management and, as you say, sadly a politicial and professional tool. I do not and never have used Facebook, horrendous company with so much power.

I know they are talking about different versions, colours and I am sure they will go down the tune, refine, reduce cost plan ASAP from the model. Making the DE version more attractive is the plan, incentivise it do promote the format AND advertise the PS5 as from $399.
As you say, free digital games or free month of PS+ etc is all easy ways to enhance this further but maybe that is phase 2, we will know soon enough.

Jtibh

Banned
  1. Being able to play their disc based PS4 games, including upgrades to the PS5 version of some (e.g. FIFA etc).
  2. Being able to play UHD Bluray films, and even plain old DVDs (as it stands right now, my PS4 is my main DVD player believe it or not!).
  3. Despite PSN sales, games are often more expensive digitally. I picked up the Batman triple collection at the start of lockdown and the physical version I got was half the price of the digital version at the time.
  4. Choice and flexibility.
I might be too far into the future of digital service.
I havent bought a physical game for the last 2 years ever since i share my library with my friend who is less fortunate and the country he lives in price of game is almost a 100 bucks.

I dont own any dvds or blurays . All content is streamed or downloaded.

No games retail here for more then on psn not to mention i got divison 2 for 3 bucks as an example.
Also batman is on psnow just like many other titles yes i know its time limited still its for free.

I understand your point of view but in my mind north american market is very pro digital and i cant see too many people buying the disc version at a 100 dollar difference.

I will buy the disc version but i assure you i wont have any use for it.

ZehDon

Thanks for the reply, was not trying to be funny I did not see the link, this explains it now, cheers.

It could be, but why remove the huge portion of sales you can get from those that just want a better XboxOne with a higher choice of 60Fps which I think this machine may achieve far more often than you think if (Options) become more common this gen in Console games i.e. Target Performance, Target Graphics. I think having a Sale price owned and a Game pass linked Subscription gives them the best of both, you pick your poison just as they had for this gen.

But they could lock it down to a Game Pass only option and you get the Console free, much like a Sky+ box model, just see this as far too restricted of a POV to grow your markeplace as fast as possible as you leave money on the table, a great deal IMOP.
No worries at all. I do agree that giving the consumer base options is generally better, especially in terms of attracting as many sales as possible. Perhaps they'll offer both options and go with "Series S... start at $20 a month!" kind of marketing, to place the emphasis on the subscription model. I suppose the crux of my thinking is: Microsoft know they cannot compete directly with Sony, so they're going to do something pretty wild card to stay in the game. I this hungrier Microsoft that we've been seeing this last year or so - can't wait to see what it's all about!

Top Bottom