• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The price for leaking Pokémon stuff? $150K + attorneys' fee for each defendant. That's if you decide to settle.

"When The Pokémon Company first filed the lawsuit, it only had screenshots of the guides posted into a Discord chat. Throughout the lawsuit, The Pokémon Company discovered that one of the two defendants took the photos while employed by the company that was hired to print the strategy guide. The second defendant then shared those photos on Discord, from which they spread to a “worldwide audience,” The Pokémon Company said in the original complaint. The photos revealed features that weren’t seen before, like the Gigantimax forms of certain Pokémon."

Do stupid shit, win stupid prizes.

Zones

"When The Pokémon Company first filed the lawsuit, it only had screenshots of the guides posted into a Discord chat. Throughout the lawsuit, The Pokémon Company discovered that one of the two defendants took the photos while employed by the company that was hired to print the strategy guide. The second defendant then shared those photos on Discord, from which they spread to a “worldwide audience,” The Pokémon Company said in the original complaint. The photos revealed features that weren’t seen before, like the Gigantimax forms of certain Pokémon."

Do stupid shit, win stupid prizes.
But it’s somehow fine when the likes of Jason Shreier leaks TLOU Remake in a negative light and potentially jeopardizes the sales of Days Gone on PC?

In fact, he gets lauded for being a great journalist according to many when he does those sort of stuff.
Nintendo doing what any company on earth would or should do if someone broke their contract and leaked stuff all over the place.

But hey, Nintendo being Nintendo amirite?
When Sony went after Geohot for using copyrighted codes to hack and open up PS3 for piracy, other hackers went after Sony and stole/leaked the information of every PSN member to get back at them.

A lot of Nintendo/Xbox fanboys celebrated that and thought what happened was justified, what’s worse, Sony was further punished and fined by various worldwide governments for being reckless.

If fanboys didn’t have double standards, they’d have no standards at all.

But it’s somehow fine when the likes of Jason Shreier leaks TLOU Remake in a negative light and potentially jeopardizes the sales of Days Gone on PC?

In fact, he gets lauded for being a great journalist according to many when he does those sort of stuff.

I don't think game journalists are bound by an NDA they didn't sign. It's like that shitbag Adam Schefter who bribed a couple nurses and leaked an NFL player's medical documents to twitter detailing an amputation from the injury, and still kept his job.

Zones

I don't think game journalists are bound by an NDA they didn't sign. It's like that shitbag Adam Schefter who bribed a couple nurses and leaked an NFL player's medical documents to twitter detailing an amputation from the injury, and still kept his job.
I know, but us humans need to be more consistent.

A leak is a leak and can be as damaging regardless of what a dumb law constitutes.

Journalists are somehow a protected group though and yet a lot of people sadly admire them (especially if what they leak favors their ideology).

cjp

I can understand the legal action against the employee who worked for the strategy guide and will have signed NDAs etc but what about the other guy?

EG says “The other defendant was identified as the individual who had then received photos of the guide via a group chat and posted them onto Discord, making them public.”

Doesn’t seem like he would have been under any sort of contractual obligation. Is it copyright infringement?

GeorgPrime

Banned
The Pokémon Company settles Pokémon Sword and Shield leak lawsuit

There are so many leaks these days from different games with no comments from the company that I forget how serious a company can get if they wanted to do something about it. The attorneys' fee must be equal or more than the $150K I am guessing.

If you leak stuff, you know what you are getting yourself into.

Dont leak stuff if you signed contracts that forbid that.

You get what you deserve.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
$0 if you know what you're doing or if you can get a lawyer who can easily buff Nintendo, which isn't really hard, at least in the US.

There were no mitigating factors, zero justifiable cause. The person who copied information from the guide willfully breached contract..

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don’t understand why they’d settle… unless they were under an NDA or contract Nintendo should have no legal right to enforce their behavior.

the one guy working for the strategy guide maker is in an iffy spot, but the strategy guide making company should be the one being sued then (and then they should turn around and sue their employee)

im not understating what legal ground Nintendo has to enforce their will here?

jigglet

Banned
I thought Nintendo owned The Pokémon company. Nintendo doesn’t own Pokémon? Holy shit that’s so crazy, why isn’t it muktiplatform? The hell are they waiting for, mobile would kill.

Nintendo has very little control over the Pokemon company. This is the only reason it's doing so well. If they actually had a say they'd be a fucking mess. Think about Pokemon Go - mobile app...Nintendo would have torn that shit to shreds.

Last edited:

Fake

Pokemon fanboys getting hit by Nintendo. Deserved. Go now defend gamefreak/Nintendo at twitter now. Poor Nintendo.
Someone please go check the serebii guy on the other side.

I still cant believe that people defend leakers and call Nintendo trash xD

Both are trash, but I will not defend a multibilion company lmao.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nintendo has very little control over the Pokemon company. This is the only reason it's doing so well. If they actually had a say they'd be a fucking mess. Think about Pokemon Go - mobile app...Nintendo would have torn that shit to shreds.

Just did a bit of research and apparently Nintendo only owns 33% of The Pokémon Company. There are two other companies who own the rest, can’t believe a company like Tencent or Microsoft hasn’t decided to swoop in. The franchise being turn based RPG, it would be huge for streaming/mobile. It’s such an ever green IP, it’s insane to me that it’s basically Nintendo exclusive. Baffling.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Just did a bit of research and apparently Nintendo only owns 33% of The Pokémon Company. There are two other companies who own the rest, can’t believe a company like Tencent or Microsoft hasn’t decided to swoop in. The franchise being turn based RPG, it would be huge for streaming/mobile. It’s such an ever green IP, it’s insane to me that it’s basically Nintendo exclusive. Baffling.

Pokemon company has been successful in spite of Nintendo.

Remember when Yamauchi said RPG's are for losers? That's when Pokemon broke out.

Remember when Nintendo said mobile tech was a passing fad? Pokemon Go became one of the biggest properties outside of console.

Nintendo has proven time and time again they don't get Pokemon. It's ripe for the taking. It wouldn't surprise me if one day they think it has zero potential and sell it off to someone that gets it.

theclaw135

Banned
I thought Nintendo owned The Pokémon company. Nintendo doesn’t own Pokémon? Holy shit that’s so crazy, why isn’t it muktiplatform? The hell are they waiting for, mobile would kill.

The arrangement is convoluted. Nintendo has enough claim to keep it off from other consoles, but minimal creative control.

Meanwhile Pokemon's lead development team is simply independent. Gamefreak made 1st party exclusives for Sony, Sega, and NEC.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The Pokemon Company will release 2 games in the future on the same day (full price) where not all Pokemon will be on each of the games released and it will be of a pathetically low standard.

Someone start a GoFundMe for me

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

theclaw135

Banned
The Pokemon Company will release 2 games in the future on the same day (full price) where not all Pokemon will be on each of the games released and it will be of a pathetically low standard.

Someone start a GoFundMe for me

This guide leak is intimately linked to dexit. The Pokemon Company tried to hide which Pokemon were cut.

Saber

Gold Member
Well, those are the risks. Though I don't see people taking that attitude when people leak for other companies(look at the amount of leakers Gaf put on daily basis and no one bats an eye on them).

But surelly people can't be serious taking PC side when they deliberate created a trash, content lacking mess of a game. They probably knew it was rushed and tried to hide important info(like the pokemons who were or not in the game) so that doesn't hurt the sales, but guess what the name of brand is stronger than the game it self.

Bet Serebii is having an orgasm now. Poor guy is a Pokemon whore.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, they are leaking classified information that they know they are not suppossed to leak.

Every year I get more and more pissed with insiders that use these leaks to promote themselves under the guise of doing this only for the community, while they get money with their youtube channels, or to get notority only to get hired by a big company like Giant Bomb.And all they do(for me) is spoil a nice surprise for me, and in the Point of View of said companies, potentially ruin the marketing of said game.

I won't shed a tear every time a leaker gets caught.

oagboghi2

When Sony went after Geohot for using copyrighted codes to hack and open up PS3 for piracy, other hackers went after Sony and stole/leaked the information of every PSN member to get back at them.

A lot of Nintendo/Xbox fanboys celebrated that and thought what happened was justified, what’s worse, Sony was further punished and fined by various worldwide governments for being reckless.

If fanboys didn’t have double standards, they’d have no standards at all.
What the fuck does that have to do with this situation at all?

StormCell

There were no mitigating factors, zero justifiable cause. The person who copied information from the guide willfully breached contract..

But the person who shared the images was supposedly not bound by any contract, so I'm not sure why they chose to settle. Looking further into this case, it would seem that there were possibly 3 leakers and that the Pokemon company didn't even know who they were but had to use the courts to gain their identities... and this has all taken place in Seattle. Guh. I don't like this at all. Only one person should be legally responsible in this, and that's the person who broke their agreement.

It's just incredibly unsettling that anyone not directly associated or bound by agreement with an IP holder could be bullied into paying anything over "stolen trade secrets" that fell into their lap.

oagboghi2

Remember when Yamauchi said RPG's are for losers? That's when Pokemon broke out.

Remember when Nintendo said mobile tech was a passing fad? Pokemon Go became one of the biggest properties outside of console.

Nintendo has proven time and time again they don't get Pokemon. It's ripe for the taking. It wouldn't surprise me if one day they think it has zero potential and sell it off to someone that gets it.
When did Nintendo, the creators of the game boy, say mobile tech was a passing fad?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Leaking video games is cheating in the video game industry, leakers advantage is getting views you got to wait for this kinda stuff.

StormCell

I nominate this as one of the all-time dumbest posts made on GAF.

StormCell

This will never happen because of the nature of the split ownership, which is kinda complicated. In order for someone to swoop in and get a Pokemon video game they would basically need Nintendo to sell their controlling interest but probably would need to buy out all three parties. I've read far more detailed explanations for why the property is split across three entities, but in the end it sounds a lot more like a complicated way of splitting out the revenues (software vs merch vs IP licenses).

ManaByte

Gold Member
He’s not violating a NDA and sharing photographs of unreleased material from his workplace.

jigglet

Banned
When did Nintendo, the creators of the game boy, say mobile tech was a passing fad?

Well they didn't literally say that, but my god you're delusional if you didn't think they took mobile seriously and would have green lit Pokemon Go if they were in charge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom