• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The premier top tier video game movies

What are the best movies based on games?

• Super Mario Bros. (1993)

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Street Fighter (1994)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Mortal Kombat (either of the two, 1995 and 1997)

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life (2003)

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Resident Evil Franchise (all of those Jovovich movies, 2004 to 2017)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Doom (2005)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Hitman (2007)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Dark Space: Downfall (2008)

• Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2009)

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Hitman: Agent 47 (the reboot, 2015)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WarCraft (2016)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Assassins's Creed (2016)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Tomb Raider (the reboot with Vikander, 2018)

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Rampage (2018)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Detective Pickachu (2019)

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (either of the two, 2020 and 2022)

Votes: 53 39.3%
  • Monster Hunter (2020)

• Mortal Kombat (the reboot, 2021)

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Werewolves Within (2021)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Uncharted (2022)

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • - Tron (either movie, 1982 and 2010)

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • - Wreck-It Ralph movies (either of the two, 2012 and 2018)

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • - Pixels (2015)

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • - Ready Player One (2018)

Votes: 18 13.3%

• Total voters

Havoc2049

Chris Roberts decided to leave the industry for a while to work on this epic:

"At the edge of the Universe, all hell will break loose!"

GymWolf

Mortal kombat, street fighter and i kinda enjoyed the monster hunter, silent hill and rampage ones.

First re movie wasn't completely shit neither.

BlackTron

For some imaginary reason, I would have thought the situation with VG movies was a lot better by now. This thread was like a massive reality check that NO, it really is THAT bad.

Well I liked Castlevania, even if it was technically a show...that began as a spliced up movie.

The Alien

Banned
Huge Tron Legacy fan. Movie rocked and, requisite nod to, best soundtrack ever.

I did enjoy the latest MK movie an pulp fun. I liked the first MK back in the day, but doesn't stand up terribly well.

Haven't seen TR reboot (which is surprising since Vikander 👀) nor the Uncharted movie.

Varteras

Gold Member
I will die on this hill

He even ad libbed the following gesture to Sagat saying "I bet you didn't see that, did you?"
LvRHuTf.jpg

Raul Julia gave one of the best performances knowing he was terminally ill. A treasure.
Street Fighter Of Course GIF

Rewatch Street Fighter.

weird-hill-to-die-on-but-at-least-youre-dead-memes-26df5cf6fc317b40-e7cefb4c1ae2d8bc.jpg

Fbh

Detective Pikachu was ok, could have used a better ending and the writing/acting of the girl felt like she was taken from a completely different movie. But it was alright.
OG Mortal Kombat and the first Tomb Raider movie where ok too, not great movies but decent adaptations.

Wreck it Ralph was good but not based on any specific game. Also personally I didn't like how the second half focuses almost exclusively on a candy themed Mario Kart clone.
Scott Pilgrim was pretty fun too, not based on a game but with a lot of videogame elements and inspiration in it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I havent watched Sonic yet but I don't think I will, watched the first 20 mins and it wasn't really that impressive imo, does it get better?
The first one is a legit entertaining movie. Nothing mind blowing but has some funny moments with Jim Carrey and it just works as a film.

Minor comedic spoiler but this was my favorite line in the first movie. Just good dumb humor.

2nd one was a major step back, the script was shit and lots of useless scenes. Focused a lot on a minor character that wasn't funny in the first, just gave her a bigger role and still wasn't funny. Wife and I were pretty disappointed cause of how watchable the first one is.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think the greatest videogame movie is Welcome to Raccoon City.

Not because I think it's a good movie, but because it's so insanely bad I'm in awe that it managed to be finished and released in theaters.

It did have a pretty solid OST and some scenes were really cool. Overall the movie is insanely bad though but in a fascinating way to me.

wondermega

I voted for Tron, it's obviously not "based on a game" but it was kind of "the video game zeitgeist" movie at the time it released - thematically it was about the connection between the real world and what goes on behind the computer screen, taking it (relatively) seriously as far as building that world was concerned, and then inside the computer world it went on to explore how a lot of those tropes would exist and make sense ("why are there video games" from the point of those living in the computer world?) Moreover, the world this film came into was still pretty clueless considering how computers/videogames/etc all worked in general (laymen didn't really think too technically about what either computer programmers or game designers did, and this film at least started trying to scratch the surface of these concepts - again, if only in very abstract ways).

I cannot imagine that the film is terribly enjoyable for people just coming into it now, 40 years later, or even feeling too relevant in many ways (although with all that is going on currently with "metaverse" and such it actually really is!) - but at the time it was in the theater, as a little kid who loved video games and found technology absolutely mystical and mesmerizing, it really did such a great job of feeling like a true representation of video games on screen.

As for all the other stuff on this list, I can't really say there's a lot of stuff in there I am interested in, but I feel kind of disappointed that I've never
actually watched the SF2 movie cause it is probably dumb fun - and I do think I will have to check out the Sonic movies as well. I am going to be a little cautiously optimistic about the still-to-release Mario Bros movie, the prerelease buzz sounds awful (a musical?) but the pedigree is pretty good and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that something special may yet come out of it. The potential to make a very weird and interesting film on that world is pretty huge, after all..

Top Bottom