• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 will dictate Future tech tendencies when It comes to hardware

-Troid-

Banned
But fellow gentleman gamer friend The Microsoft made very strong console; many teraflops means more of a pleasure to develope for I guarantee.
Phil Spencer is cool guy who doesn't afraid of anyone.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

This was based on a 1.8 hardware

I believe both platforms are able to achieve a level of graphics fidelity that we are simply not yet ready. Sure Series X can potentially show a bit more, but there are so many things into account than just tf to provide that.

As graphics advance, we Will inevitably reach a level that a top AAA game is almost as stunning as the other. Some lifelike enviroment

I believe both will be able to show the level of graphics we can see in hellblade trailer eventually wich is enough to have jaws dropping. Having 1-2 better fps average or having to zoom 100x to see a difference is not what declares victory, but revolutionizing the gaming development enviroment and making the industry progress does.
I’m not sure what any of this has to do with what I said but whatever. Seems your mind is set. Hope we get some cool stuff out of next gen games.

cireza

Banned
If the SSD speed was the same as RAM, probably. But as it is not the case, there is only so much you can design around it. Short loading times is still a good step backward (yeah backward, as older consoles did not have loadings, remember ?).

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I’m curious to see if/when SSDs need to become minimum requirement for PC gaming. Is that in the foreseeable future? I know Star Citizen requires one but I am talking across the board

My estimate as that at the very least, by the middle of this generation, games assumptions will move away from assuming mechanical IO as they do now. That means packing RAM with lots of idle assets that you only might see, block and file size optimizations, and of course the classic elevators/roadblocks to hide load times.

Might take a while more to become the minimum requirement, on PCs you largely can run most games even if you shouldn't, but it will start to get more and more painful running a game on a HDD as the assumptions start optimizing for SSDs. So long as you can store terrabytes so much more cheaply on HDDs on PCs they'll be around for a while.

Last edited:
Wow, another one.

Why do people talk like the XSX has an old tech super slow HDD in it or something 😆

It’s strange, blatantly inferior hardware is brushed off as no big deal and not something that will reveal itself in most games. It’s all about “well, both are great hardware!” (and they are). But when it comes to the SSD it’s like the PS5 is incredible and mind blowing and the XSX SSD is trash in comparison. Even though, like the claims are about the superior XSX power, most games aren’t going to utilize the SSD in the PS5 to cure cancer like people are speculating.

lol Man, for someone who sees himself as neutral, you sure took that comment way harder than needed. It’s ok guy. Xbox is a great system and will sell many units.

I would say 70 percent of my gaming “economy” or whatever is invested in Sony. 20 percent PC, 10 percent MS/Xbox

My 360 collected dust next to my PS3. I owned a One for like 3 months before selling it. Been playing JRPGs on my Pro nonstop over the last 2 weeks, 200+ hours worth and going strong

Bro, I said they are both powerful. I’m buying a PS5 day one no matter what.

But I don’t believe in blind allegience to anything. The XsX reveal impressed me a lot, the PS5 presentation did not. I’m especially disappointed in the CPU and GPU specs. They aren’t bad, but I wanted more.

That’s fair, in my eyes anyway.

Additonally, it’s hard for me to sit back and just watch bullshit get spouted on both sides. The XsX has ultra fast storage, period. The PS5 has faster ultra fast storage. Period. That’s great. As of yet we have not seen any demo how this will benefit gameplay. We just have armchair dev speculations.

It’s up to Sony to show the goods, I can only go by what I see

So far the XsX has shown more and shown well, just in my opinion. People wanna pretend like the XsX SSD is a bottleneck and I think that’s bullshit, and if it is the bottleneck it’s a pretty generous one.

Im on your side man. I want both to turn out great. It’s okay to criticize things you support.

But so far XsX has shown up with raw power and PS5 has shown spreadsheets and secret sauce speculation. Sony needs to show the goods

I don’t believe that you have to only support one console and always at the expense of the other

IMO if you’re a person who only say good things about one console, no matter what, and only bad things about the other console, no matter what, then you are part of the problem.

Can Sony’s SSD change gaming? I hope so, that would be great. Don’t tell me about it, show me about it. Show me something.

At the very least we have seen what XsX can do with Gears 5, which is better than nothing

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Remember when consoles were doing completely different things and had almost exclusively different libraries? I miss those days.

Ever since Xbox arrived we've had two consoles trying to do the same thing. The only real difference was the exclusive games for each. Luckily, we still have Nintendo offering at least one different experience each generation.

Hopefully, these two companies are starting to focus on different things and can offer more unique experiences.

The PS5 is a Glorified RTX5700 with Rdna 2 parts.
It's not Special at all.

When there's a upcoming new Nvidia3000,Big Navi 6000, and at the low end a XBXS.
PS5 is some where at the bottom, maybe a 2070 on a good day?

The new cards will have VRS and Mash shading built into the hardware both not in PS5, that will have to run in software on PS5 that will use even more of that 10TF and CPU Resources.
The fact that the 256bits bus is Split with the GPU and CPU Causing memory contention makes this a weaker console. The simple fact that Developers have too make a Choice between CPU and GPU Due to power restrictions, makes this a weaker box. Revolutionary unfortunately is not the mark of weaker hardware but the mark of a innovative and powerful Box for the money, And this aint it....

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I agree with you OP.
Even if PS5 is slightly less powerfull, it brings a series of innovations that may stay here from now on in the hardware to come.

For the industry that is something very important.

And for audiophiles, the work on audio is godsend.

I welcome the Sony's vision all going beyond the dick measurement competition.

thelastword

Banned
Yes OP....The PS5 hardware is indeed a revolution in design......My biggest takeaway is that Cerny ensured every aspect of the hardware is at a high level, we have never seen that before...…..GPU at 10.3TF plus pretty much all bottlenecks removed and a design to maximize framerates based on the game you are rendering.....If you are rendering Super Lucky Tales on PS5 at 4K 60fps, no need to maximize clocks, let the PS5 utilize just enough power to hit that with aplomb....Same would go with indies etc.....If you have a game that pushes the boundaries, then you will get to max clocks and the console will still be cool because the threshold of a cool PS5 is way over 2.23Ghz and 3.5GHZ (GPU and CPU respectively)…..That is an excellent power design for a console, just brilliant....

A blazing fast 5.5GB/s SSD with 22GB/s uncompressed, means that there is room for ambitious devs to really maximize their streaming systems......That SSD is so fast that caching off that PCIE4 drive is going to work in tandem with RAM at blazing speeds, it's something we have never really seen before.....The majority of persons still game off mechanical drives, so the custom IO with all it's extra silicon is going to make the SSD serve in textures and assets on the fly in under a second.....But forget about speed, think of the textures you can stream in, think of the variety devs can offer in assets and textures, think of how much easier it will be to randomize a level or world since the streaming and I/O system is so fast......Yet it's not just the SSD that's fast, as the new textures are drawn in, the GPU saves bandwidth with the primitive shaders and cache scrubbers, things are kept blazing fast in all aspects of the hardware and pipeline, nothing is held back anywhere...…...

The CPU is fast, it wont have to do lots of IO/SOUND cycles, the culling load on the CPU will be extremely small.....So much more CPU cycles are now available to do better Physics and A.I......It's why I say, I've never seen a design so complete.....It's like Cerny sat down and asked, he himself a dev, what slows down games in our pipeline, what has butchered our framerates at runtime, what takes the longest time in reciprocating at runtime......he sat down and he his aim was to streamline all of that, the entire process.......It's the very reason that you are getting under 1 month to triangle on PS5, otherwise the old archaic system would have bottlenecked the development system as it always did.....In essence time is money, money is time, but moreso in this case, time saved is more ambition for our games, better world design, better level design, better ai, better physics......Cerny saw the whole picture and this may very well be his magnum OPUS, where all future consoles and even PC will follow....

Sound has been neglected so much everywhere, most times we are only relegated to the sound chip on our MB on PC, this gen's consoles were certainly not as good with sound as the PS3 was, and that was due to the CELL.....It's refreshing that Cerny has aimed high there as well and look how ambitious the sound system in PS5 is......He Cerny is trying to raise all aspects of game design in one fell swoop, I have never seen such ambition in design before...….

So Imagine this, what is possible?...…..Imagine you are entering a portal to traverse/battle or to go an adventure, it can be randomized on the fly, you can get a different world everytime you enter, a breathing living highly detailed world because of how fast all the hardware systems work.....Something like No Man Sky 2 could really come alive....Open world games would better mimic different environments and details based on when you traversed and what transpired before your journey, time of day details, weather details will be much more accurately detailed and load on the fly......Think of a racer, if you want to, you could change how a track looks everytime you race it because the IO and streaming system is that fast...….With GT7, on Tokyo I can see different vendors, details, people working in those high-rise buildings at nights, people going to take the trains, more randomized looks and faces to NPC's everytime you race around the track, certain small details changes, the guy who was walking along Kojima St is no longer there or further along as you do lap 3...…..The systems are so fast, that the possibilities are endless.....

I really think that the PS5 is such a strong design because it was solely made for devs…..It took care of them really well....So if devs are happy, gamers will be extremely happy. because......Game design, level design, physics, Ai and ambition in creating games, with more variety, more detail and ATD will be a thing......That will easily translate to some of the best games we have ever seen.....Everything is correlated. happy devs means happy gamers..... and just as no hardware system on PS5 will slow down any part adversely, it's the same logic applied here by Cerny, he saw the bigger picture and was ambitious enough to tackle it...…..I think next gen will be the best we've ever seen in terms of quality game output for a while and I think that will mostly be because of the PS5 and SWWS.....SWWS having a hardware system where every aspect is ambitious, means they can go broke......There is no jaguar here, there is no weak NV GPU on PS3 here and we all know what they did with those...….I think when Sony reveals their first party games for the first time this year, people's eyes will melt...I'm pretty sure they are biding their time for full effect.....As it stands, November is still many months away, so they do have some time, lots of time really......Makes no sense to show the goods early and you have to wait all this while pining to get that disk in the tray.....Personally, I cant wait.....

johnjohn

Wow, another one.

Why do people talk like the XSX has an old tech super slow HDD in it or something 😆

It’s strange, blatantly inferior hardware is brushed off as no big deal and not something that will reveal itself in most games. It’s all about “well, both are great hardware!” (and they are). But when it comes to the SSD it’s like the PS5 is incredible and mind blowing and the XSX SSD is trash in comparison. Even though, like the claims are about the superior XSX power, most games aren’t going to utilize the SSD in the PS5 to cure cancer like people are speculating.
It's the opposite of 2013 lol. People are trying to talk down the XSX and create secret sauce that doesn't exist for the PS5.

...Everything is correlated. happy devs means happy gamers.....

Don’t devs have to jump through an extra hoop with this variable frequency/power profile juggling?

As far as bottlenecks, isn’t there a bottleneck with the CUs when RT is incorporated? I don’t expect either console to excel at RT but on paper it seems like PS5 isn’t very equipped for it

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
But, before getting excited for Sony showed and nervous about what microsoft have shown, you should remember this.

State of decay was running a game, that was not made for and was not optimised in any way.
That does raise the question of why they are showing it off. MS is killing it messaging-wise, but they need to stop showing current gen games.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The Sony's new console have taken a New step forward when offering developers not Just an easy and pleasureable platform to develope for all around, but also a platform that removes old barriers of creation for giving instant data transfer and access with almost unlimited amount of data thanks to ultra speed, removing duplications and many other "tricky" devs solutions that only existed thanks to old limited and not so smart technologies.

One of the tricky old devs solutions is the creation of implicit and fake corridors like the long brigdes in Horizon zero dawn only to give the game enough time to load up the whole scenario.

An interesting example given on Mark Cernys presentation was the creation of an unecessary moutains surounding the whole scenario that were only there with purppose of creating a corridor in order to give enough time for the system to load a Second scenario with other structers.

PS5 promisses to give instant Very high quality assets with instante Textures loaded up at every angle and direction You turn to.

Without manking any comparison, since I dont want consoles war here, I have to say I got Very worried when I saw the Series X running State of Decay and there was this blatant Textures pop in wich I personally found wierd and Very disappointed.

Particularly, I do feel more excited for a platform wich was solely built to bring such inovations and make developers free enough to no longer rely on old videogame tricks wich is what really expand creativity to whole New Horizon, instead of Just worried about winning the Dick measure TF cold war. And thats the kind of thing that allows us to have real New experiences than Just prettier graphics wich are something we shouldnt be worried about: Just look at a cutscene of Ghost of Tssushima latest trailer made with a fucking 1.8tf machine in mind, It looks fantastic already and really shows How amazing Sonys devs are. If You have an amazing engien and a talented team with AAA budget, You got excelent graphics already.

PlaySyation 5 is not only the fastest, but smartest and most inovative gaming hardware that comes to bring New ideias and dictate Future tech tendencies. It is exotic in a good way, not the cell pricessor way If You know what I mean.

Lets have a good discussion without Flames and Sorry for my bad english.

The console hardware is dictated by PC hardware and demand from the developers. They have, afterall, PC components in them. Specifically, GPU companies and what they have reached at a certain point in time during the generation cycle. Hardware is picked very early on contrary to what people think. Around the time a 1080Ti was developed, Sony and MS was bidding on what their next-gen hardware would look like.

Since the CPU and storage limitations have finally been addressed for the foreseeable future, I suspect Sony and MS will try to design around heading towards maximum memory bandwidth, GPU capability with ray-tracing and overall memory footprint as the main driver.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don’t devs have to jump through an extra hoop with this variable frequency/power profile juggling?

As far as bottlenecks, isn’t there a bottleneck with the CUs when RT is incorporated? I don’t expect either console to excel at RT but on paper it seems like PS5 isn’t very equipped for it
Of course it is if you run heavy graphics and then avx256 instructions are out they automatic down clock all by themselves. That is a big bottleneck right there tossing out a huge zen 2 gain to avoid down clocks. The whole variable clocks is a bottleneck that will cause developers to work around it.

Deto

Banned
State of decay was running a game, that was not made for and was not optimised in any way.

Of course, it would naturally present games without optimization to demonstrate that the SX is bad

Sony says the clock is at maximum

you: lie

MS PRESENTS state of decay with POP-IN: not optimized

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
That does raise the question of why they are showing it off. MS is killing it messaging-wise, but they need to stop showing current gen games.
Perhaps they didn't waste time on a tech demo just to show off the data streaming of their SSD? Who knows? Who cares?

The games will come at around the time that E3 was meant to happen.

It should also be noted that SoD takes forever to load. So 9 seconds on the XsX is already much much better. So games made with an SSD in mind should be great.

Leyasu

Banned
Of course, it would naturally present games without optimization to demonstrate that the SX is bad

Sony says the clock is at maximum

you: lie

MS PRESENTS state of decay with POP-IN: not optimized
lol I never called sony or anyone a liar. I merely implied that not everything is black and white.

State of decay takes ages to load and has pop in already. Perhaps they showed it because the people that have already played it can gauge the improvement provided by the SSD without having to make anything especially to show it off.

If you thought about it instead of letting the fanboy rage cloud your judgement, then you would arrive at the same conclusion.

Last edited:
So for DF head to head videos next gen are loading times and instances of pop-in gonna start getting equal play time as resolution and FPS? Seems like it’s the new battleground

Deto

Banned
lol I never called sony or anyone a liar. I merely implied that not everything is black and white.

State of decay takes ages to load and has pop in already. Perhaps they showed it because the people that have already played it can gauge the improvement provided by the SSD without having to make anything especially to show it off.

If you thought about it instead of letting the fanboy rage cloud your judgement, then you would arrive at the same conclusion.

Okay, same speech as always.

Glad to see that not everyone is as wishful thinking as OP.

PC hardware, like always, will dictate future tech tendencies, simply because of the annual or biennial update cycle.

The most recent example is DLSS2.0, which or similar to which I doubt the PS5 will have.
Don't forget Dedicated Ray Tracing hardware.

Leyasu

Banned
So for DF head to head videos next gen are loading times and instances of pop-in gonna start getting equal play time as resolution and FPS? Seems like it’s the new battleground
The new front in the endless console was opened last year when the wired article came out. Just going by the threads on here and other forums, the trenches have been dug, and the battle-hardened troops are ready for the onslaught.

Windows-PC

Banned
Let's lay off the blatant, low effort console warring.

Yeah, no one cared about fast SSD's until it was PlayStation 5's only advantage over the XBox Series X.

It's crazy how many PlayStation Fan's prayed to the mighty Console God that the PlayStation 5 will be 13TF's, but since the mighty Console God didn't listen to all the prayers, SSD's are the only hope left for PlayStation Fans :D

It's unbelievable how fast priorities can change!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a tech inclined guy so I won't pretend I'm not talking out of my ass here, but I don't see how it will offer a significantly different experience from the SEX. Until we see it in action, I'll remain unconvinced. By the way, why haven't we seen it in action if it's such a clear innovation that sets it worlds apart from the main competition?

You know, it's the hyperbole surrounding the PS5 that I don't get. It's like there's no middle ground between "piece of shit" and "second coming of Christ".
the bottom of your controller will have an add on for VR

you know which kind of VR

it is gonna be HUGE

I camefromthefuture2

The XsX SSD is still so fast that it really won't matter. The practical difference between storage bandwidth will be just like the difference between GPUs. The XsX SSD can still fill the RAM extremely quickly

The number one thing I can't figure out is why so many people want to pretend like the XsX's storage bandwidth is slow. It is still ultra fast. The PS5's is faster, but that doesn't make the XsX slow. Just like the XsX having a better GPU doesn't mean the PS5 GPU is weak
It's all they have.

GymWolf

I'm not a tech inclined guy so I won't pretend I'm not talking out of my ass here, but I don't see how it will offer a significantly different experience from the SEX. Until we see it in action, I'll remain unconvinced. By the way, why haven't we seen it in action if it's such a clear innovation that sets it worlds apart from the main competition?

You know, it's the hyperbole surrounding the PS5 that I don't get. It's like there's no middle ground between "piece of shit" and "second coming of Christ".
well for example you can't contract chlamidya or gonorreha from ps5.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

They've always covered things like pop in. Load times, no idea but I don't expect a significant difference between the two consoles in that area.

At this point I just want to see the consoles in action. To see what the extra teraflops really mean for series X games and to see if the extra SSD speeds results in anything interesting on the PS5.

At least then people can bicker about facts rather than theories.

Sony didn't announce Resume and other feature Microsoft announced. Xbox Series X was playing and resuming 5 different unoptimize games with improved Loading times, you didn't need to restart the games. It's an innovative feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom