• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 will dictate Future tech tendencies when It comes to hardware

The Sony's new console have taken a New step forward when offering developers not Just an easy and pleasureable platform to develope for all around, but also a platform that removes old barriers of creation for giving instant data transfer and access with almost unlimited amount of data thanks to ultra speed, removing duplications and many other "tricky" devs solutions that only existed thanks to old limited and not so smart technologies.

One of the tricky old devs solutions is the creation of implicit and fake corridors like the long brigdes in Horizon zero dawn only to give the game enough time to load up the whole scenario.

An interesting example given on Mark Cernys presentation was the creation of an unecessary moutains surounding the whole scenario that were only there with purppose of creating a corridor in order to give enough time for the system to load a Second scenario with other structers.

PS5 promisses to give instant Very high quality assets with instante Textures loaded up at every angle and direction You turn to.

Without manking any comparison, since I dont want consoles war here, I have to say I got Very worried when I saw the Series X running State of Decay and there was this blatant Textures pop in wich I personally found wierd and Very disappointed.

Particularly, I do feel more excited for a platform wich was solely built to bring such inovations and make developers free enough to no longer rely on old videogame tricks wich is what really expand creativity to whole New Horizon, instead of Just worried about winning the Dick measure TF cold war. And thats the kind of thing that allows us to have real New experiences than Just prettier graphics wich are something we shouldnt be worried about: Just look at a cutscene of Ghost of Tssushima latest trailer made with a fucking 1.8tf machine in mind, It looks fantastic already and really shows How amazing Sonys devs are. If You have an amazing engien and a talented team with AAA budget, You got excelent graphics already.

PlaySyation 5 is not only the fastest, but smartest and most inovative gaming hardware that comes to bring New ideias and dictate Future tech tendencies. It is exotic in a good way, not the cell pricessor way If You know what I mean.

Lets have a good discussion without Flames and Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Yep, those SSDs are going speed up the loading and streaming immensely.

But, before getting excited for Sony showed and nervous about what microsoft have shown, you should remember this.

State of decay was running a game, that was not made for and was not optimised in any way.

Whereas the spiderman demo was a slice of code that was made especially for the showcase.

Think back to the old 3D tv demos that were shown in shops. They looked great and the 3D ran like a charm. It was when you got the tv home and discovered the crosstalk and ghosting that you got a taste of the "real" tech.

Don't base your expectations on optimised demos, and unoptimised games.

PS5 is not special. They did the best they could within their budget.

PC won’t follow because it doesn’t need to make the same kind of concessions/sacrifices a console does.

It is a Very special and unique platform in the way It was built and hasnt been praised by many devs for no reason.

It has its unique inovations and solutions with high level of micro customizations.

Eveentually, obviously power get caught and PC has no limitation on because its not price limited and its sell in pieces. But its generic to some extend.

PS5 promisses to give instant Very high quality assets with instante Textures loaded up at every angle and direction You turn to.

Without manking any comparison, since I dont want consoles war here, I have to say I got Very worried when I saw the Series X running State of Decay and there was this blatant Textures pop in wich I personally found wierd and Very disappointed.

giphy.gif

This is a little unfair. The game engine is responsible for the pop-in in SOD, regardless of it running on XsX or PC or a potato

DaMonsta

It is a Very special and unique platform in the way It was built and hasnt been praised by many devs for no reason.

It has its unique inovations and solutions with high level of micro customizations.

Eveentually, obviously power get caught and PC has no limitation on because its not price limited and its sell in pieces. But its generic to some extend.
It’s a console. The special and unique things it does are all to maximize performance at a set budget, power, and heat level.

That’s all great stuff, but PCs don’t have to worry about that stuff so much, so there’s no need to emulate what the PS5 does.

LED Guy?

Banned
Yeah, that’s why PS5’s SSD is very next level, yes I know, Its 10.3 TFs GPU is a bit weaker than Xbox Series X’s 12 TFs, but the differences between them will be minimal when it comes to GPU performance, like 5 to 6 frames difference as has been done in the PC world.

Also I can see 3rd-party games not taking full advantage of PS5’s SSD, but Sony’s 1st-party games will be where the full fruits of PS5’s SSD to be shown which I think we’ll see games like maybe Spider Man 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 can’t be fully realized on Xbox Series X much slower SSD.

Yeah, that’s why PS5’s SSD is very next level, yes I know, Its 10.3 TFs GPU is a bit weaker than Xbox Series X’s 12 TFs, but the differences between them will be minimal when it comes to GPU performance, like 5 to 6 frames difference as has been done in the PC world.

Also I can see 3rd-party games not taking full advantage of PS5’s SSD, but Sony’s 1st-party games will be where the full fruits of PS5’s SSD to be shown which I think we’ll see games like maybe Spider Man 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 can’t be fully realized on Xbox Series X much slower SSD.

The XsX SSD is still so fast that it really won't matter. The practical difference between storage bandwidth will be just like the difference between GPUs. The XsX SSD can still fill the RAM extremely quickly

The number one thing I can't figure out is why so many people want to pretend like the XsX's storage bandwidth is slow. It is still ultra fast. The PS5's is faster, but that doesn't make the XsX slow. Just like the XsX having a better GPU doesn't mean the PS5 GPU is weak

Last edited:
You literally have to be familiar with gaming development enviroment and devs usual challenges and limitations to actually understand why PS5 IS that special.

That Guy Coreteks got It right. Inovations, high level of hardware
Customization based on Speed of comunication is much more needed than Just brute force.

PS5 makes developers say goodbye to old tricky devs solutions and thats what is woresome because I wish other platform followed the same principles.

LED Guy?

Banned
The XsX SSD is still so fast that it really won't matter. The practical difference between storage bandwidth will be just like the difference between GPUs. The XsX SSD can still fill the RAM extremely quickly

The number one thing I can't figure out is why so many people want to pretend like the XsX's storage bandwidth is slow. It is still ultra fast. The PS5's is faster, but that doesn't make the XsX slow. Just like the XsX having a better GPU doesn't mean the PS5 GPU is weak
Xbox Series X’s SSD is very fast, but the PS5 is way faster it’s not even funny, and trust me, developers will always push gaming forward and you’ll see PS5 exclusives having way more elaborate worlds and faster transition in-game in ways you won’t find on Xbox Series X.

The XSX SSD is already plenty fast and there's no evidence that the PS5 needs all that storage bandwidth before it gets bottlenecked by something else. On the other hand the 2 teraflop difference isn't a big deal either.

Also, back to the State of Decay pop-in on XsX demo comment

the same thing would happen if you just ran HZD on a PS5 with no optimizations or tweaks. Thats not something the new hardware can magically fix by all by itself, it would need a PS5 patch of some sort to increase draw distance, LOD settings etc

I really Hope you are right, but my concern is fair, not trolling.

To sum up everything: whats more important, to see the nose hair of your carácter thanks to ultra high res or to be immersed in a vast scenario that doesnt bother you with some useless boeing corridors in between two different huge structures, Just to load textures i and assets time and in wich you can get into every building seamelessly thanks to unltra high data tranffers?

I like the latter option Far more.

joe_zazen

You literally have to be familiar with gaming development enviroment and devs usual challenges and limitations to actually understand why PS5 IS that special.

Customization based on Speed of comunication is much more needed than Just brute force.

PS5 makes developers say goodbye to old tricky devs solutions and thats what is woresome because I wish other platform followed the same principles.

first parties will be the ones to watch, for sure. The rest of the industry will lag as engines need to be rejigged and baseline hardware evolved (mainly 5 year old PCs, which is the most you can expect 3rd parties to make the cutoff).

But, if the x1x was faster, that wouldn‘t change things as x1x is only a small part of the MS strategy. They are also targeting PC market and they have Lockhart according to Shinobi. So, x1x isn’t baseline nextgen for them, and it following ps5 strat wouldn't matter.

Leyasu

Banned

This reads like wishful thinking. I'm sorry to have to single you out here, but this feels eerily like MrXMedia but in reverse. Perhaps a MrYMedia is now needed t bring balance to the force.

Wishing something doesn't automatically turn it into reality.

hyperbertha

The XSX SSD is already plenty fast and there's no evidence that the PS5 needs all that storage bandwidth before it gets bottlenecked by something else. On the other hand the 2 teraflop difference isn't a big deal either.
So you're saying Cerny blew all his budget on something it'll never get to use? There is no other bottleneck when it comes to streaming. Resolution has always been the biggest factor bottlenecking compute, not quality or size of data.

The difference between the SSD is like this:

One car is travelling at 200 MPH

The other car is travellin at 100 MPH

On paper that looks like a huge difference, but then you realize that each car only needs to travel 25 feet. Ok, so one gets there in half a blink of an eye, the other in a full blink. Both SSDs are ultra leaps from current gen and even the XsX drive is a big leap over the SATA SSDs that many gamers (such as myself) use in their PCs

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
So you're saying Cerny blew all his budget on something it'll never get to use? There is no other bottleneck when it comes to streaming. Resolution has always been the biggest factor bottlenecking compute, not quality or size of data.
How many seconds advantage are they going to get from their SSD compared to microsofts? How aggresive will the pop-in be on the XsX compared to the PS5?

Vawn

Banned
I love how the design of PS5 is changing how we experience games instead of just better graphics. Obviously the graphics are taking another big step forward, but things like eliminating loading screens and how worlds can be created because of removing these limitations is MUCH more exciting.

I have a feeling after we spend time with PS5, going back to lesser consoles like PS4 or Switch will be painful. Not because of graphics, but the loading times will feel 10x worse than they do now.

hyperbertha

On paper that looks like a huge difference, but then you realize that each car only needs to travel 25 feet. Ok, so one gets there in half a blink of an eye, the other in a full blink. Both SSDs are ultra leaps from current gen and even the XsX drive is a big leap over the SATA SSDs that many gamers (such as myself) use in their PCs
Actually they need to travel different distances. Memory available on Ps5 for streaming is greater thanks to full unified, also compounded by GPU cache which lets you stream into ALL the available memory, rather than reserve half of it for resident data.

joe_zazen

I love how the design of PS5 is changing how we experience games instead of just better graphics. Obviously the graphics are taking another big step forward, but things like eliminating loading screens and how worlds can be created because of removing these limitations is MUCH more exciting.

I have a feeling after we spend time with PS5, going back to lesser consoles like PS4 or Switch will be painful. Not because of graphics, but the loading times will feel 10x worse than they do now.

i am after something new as well, not just shorter load times. I look at tlou2 or rdr2 or cyberpunk, and I feel like I’ve done that before, so I am nit interested. VR was great, but it too feels stagnant right now, although I do not own an Alyx compatible headset.

And, while Cerney might be talking bollocks, at least there is the promise of new types of games on 5. It may end up being Knack/Shadowfall/1886 all over again, but at least the promise is there. MS is not promising anything new game design wise, they built a regular PC afterall.. & I think Nintendo is done with gameplay innovations stemming from hardware, Switch2 will be Switch with more power. but , but we can count on them to give us some crazy shit like Labo and Ringfit.

This reads like wishful thinking. I'm sorry to have to single you out here, but this feels eerily like MrXMedia but in reverse. Perhaps a MrYMedia is now needed t bring balance to the force.

Wishing something doesn't automatically turn it into reality.

I respect your opinion but thats not my personal Desires.

Everything I have said makes perfect sense.

For now, when It comes to PS5 and Sonys strategy of gaming development enviroment rather than Just winning TF cold war, wich is what makes fanboys horny about, things are still Very obscure because we are not developers ourselves

Before creating any game and planning How to execute the Idea, every dev has all the scenario of the game coming into his mind and want to replicate It into a 3d world game. Later on, as the development progress, he and his team start facing some unwanted issues due to slow or not fast enough data transferences and processings. They then lose a good amount of time creating tricky solutions to fake some of those limitations wich can diteclty affect the gameplay experience.

Ps5 promisse to shake the gaming development enviroment on this regard like no other platform, and stating that is not being a fanboy.

When you actually start to think more about it from a more dev point of view, things get more exciting and the things PS5 brings are more welcomed than Just higher resolution so you can see Drakes hair nose a bit better.

martino

If ps5 domination is not ps2 level (so 1 to 6+ the other platforms) i don't see your dream happening.

DaMonsta

i am after something new as well, not just shorter load times. I look at tlou2 or rdr2 or cyberpunk, and I feel like I’ve done that before, so I am nit interested. VR was great, but it too feels stagnant right now, although I do not own an Alyx compatible headset.

And, while Cerney might be talking bollocks, at least there is the promise of new types of games on 5. It may end up being Knack/Shadowfall/1886 all over again, but at least the promise is there. MS is not promising anything new game design wise, they built a regular PC afterall.. & I think Nintendo is done with gameplay innovations stemming from hardware, Switch2 will be Switch with more power. but , but we can count on them to give us some crazy shit like Labo and Ringfit.
Microsoft said pretty much the same stuff about their SSD.

They just didn’t make it their focus.

Sony made their focus the one thing that’s faster on their system.

DaMonsta

I respect your opinion but thats not my personal Desires.

Everything I have said makes perfect sense.

For now, when It comes to PS5 and Sonys strategy of gaming development enviroment rather than Just winning TF cold war, wich is what makes fanboys horny about, things are still Very obscure because we are not developers ourselves

Before creating any game and planning How to execute the Idea, every dev has all the scenario of the game coming into his mind and want to replicate It into a 3d world game. Later on, as the development progress, he and his team start facing some unwanted issues due to slow or not fast enough data transferences and processings. They then lose a good amount of time creating tricky solutions to fake some of those limitations wich can diteclty affect the gameplay experience.

Ps5 promisse to shake the gaming development enviroment on this regard like no other platform, and stating that is not being a fanboy.

When you actually start to think more about it from a more dev point of view, things get more exciting and the things PS5 brings are more welcomed than Just higher resolution so you can see Drakes hair nose a bit better.
It is absolutely false to claim GPU power is just about resolution or Drakes hair.

All the “new exciting things” the SSD can do have to be processed by a GPU/CPU.

Kusarigama

That's not a very good analogy. From what I get from The Road to PS5 talk is that a gigabyte data was taking upto 20 seconds of time to load from hdd and games load >5 gigabytes resulting in long loading times So for these SSDs in XSX & PS5 get 2.4 and 5.5 gigabytes of data in 1 second is no where near what "25feet with 100mph and 200mph speeds" indicate.

joe_zazen

Microsoft said pretty much the same stuff about their SSD.

They just didn’t make it their focus.

Sony made their focus the one thing that’s faster on their system.

yes, because Cerney wanted to see games not possible on other hardware. Whether that is bullshit or whther those experiences are worthwhile, only time will tell.

That is true.

There is a paradigm chance in games design/development with PS5.

Of course, but then again, you got the same usual suspects running in here saying in the first post, “The PS5 is not special”. For a system that isn’t special and is not as powerful as XSX, you fans sure spend a lot of your time trying to downplay it like you’re all afraid that the PS5 isn’t as weak as you keep telling yourselves.

watch the presentation again. There lots of expensive custom silicon in there, dedicated ssd maximization.

I'm not a tech inclined guy so I won't pretend I'm not talking out of my ass here, but I don't see how it will offer a significantly different experience from the SEX. Until we see it in action, I'll remain unconvinced. By the way, why haven't we seen it in action if it's such a clear innovation that sets it worlds apart from the main competition?

You know, it's the hyperbole surrounding the PS5 that I don't get. It's like there's no middle ground between "piece of shit" and "second coming of Christ".

Of course, but then again, you got the same usual suspects running in here saying in the first post, “The PS5 is not special”. For a system that isn’t special and is not as powerful as XSX, you fans sure spend a lot of your time trying to downplay it like you’re all afraid that the PS5 isn’t as weak as you keep telling yourselves.

c'mon man

EDIT

either quote reply to these phantom “usual suspectS” or stop making passive aggressive blanket accusations

Last edited:

DaMonsta

“Usual suspects” “you fans”

What’s wrong with you buddy😂

It is absolutely false to claim GPU power is just about resolution or Drakes hair.

All the “new exciting things” the SSD can do have to be processed by a GPU/CPU.

This was based on a 1.8 hardware

I believe both platforms are able to achieve a level of graphics fidelity that we are simply not yet ready. Sure Series X can potentially show a bit more, but there are so many things into account than just tf to provide that.

As graphics advance, we Will inevitably reach a level that a top AAA game is almost as stunning as the other. Some lifelike enviroment

I believe both will be able to show the level of graphics we can see in hellblade trailer eventually wich is enough to have jaws dropping. Having 1-2 better fps average or having to zoom 100x to see a difference is not what declares victory, but revolutionizing the gaming development enviroment and making the industry progress does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom