• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 will be the last console ever produced.

Haggard

Banned
Geez, the same articles for 14 years now.

No, cloud is not an end-all solution. Neither the tech itself nor the infrastructure is anywhere near the point where it could completely take over.....
And unless you want to ignore 2/3rds of the world this will not be the case for another 2-3 decades.

mckmas8808

Banned
Lose the war? Nah. Google's not even fighting anymore and Amazon shutters games months after launch.

That being said, if AMD or Unreal 5 can figure out a half decent software-based DLSS competitor, I ABSOLUTELY could see the PS5 and XSX being the last console "generation".

They both need bigger hard drives though.

If they find a great DLSS competitor, wouldn't that mean a next-gen console would be needed even MORE? We're talking full-path raytracing for EVERYTHING at 1080p (which is then upverted to 4K) at 60 fps for all open world games!

ZoukGalaxy

Yeah, yeah, every generation is the last, it's the end, magic is real, bla bla bla... we know the song.
These clickbait articles and "jounalists" are so pathetic and disconnected from reality.
Go back to school and do a reality check of the world "journalist" and look beyond your awesome local life in silicon valley.

Last edited:
If they find a great DLSS competitor, wouldn't that mean a next-gen console would be needed even MORE? We're talking full-path raytracing for EVERYTHING at 1080p (which is then upverted to 4K) at 60 fps for all open world games!
DLSS makes hugely demanding resolutions childs play. It makes less powerful hardware seem infinitely more powerful. An 8K DLSS PS5 and XSX seems like fantasy. I don't think it's possible. Probably. Yet.

Kumomeme

every year we have this kind of take on.

is this some kind of tradition?

not to mention those who believe mobile smartphone gaming will kill console.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As I’ve said many a time, when everything goes digital I’ll give up gaming for good. From Atari 2600 days to PS5 if that’s the case then so be it.
For me if gaming goes all F2P cloud streaming with IAP. Then I’m going to just play retro. Meaning older or current systems with physical game copies so having the switch or xbone as my retro system would be bad hahaha

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I am 100% sure there will be a PlayStation 6 console . But yes I don't think we would need hardware anymore after that. Technology will be good enough to stream every game at high resolution.

ruvikx

Banned
Dedicated hardware will forever be more powerful, i.e. just because streaming or the "cloud" will get better, it's not like actual gpu's, cpu's & computer technology will just stand still.

i.e. when 4k streaming of games with ps5 level graphics at 60 fps is the norm, consoles with 8k resolution & far better graphics will be sitting in living rooms.

DavidGzz

I think the same people who are susceptible to this fearmongering are the same people who champion a plastic and metal box so it makes sense to write these articles. The fanboys are being played. You can see it get under their skin. They know controversy gets people talking and gives them clicks.

mckmas8808

Banned
I am 100% sure there will be a PlayStation 6 console . But yes I don't think we would need hardware anymore after that. Technology will be good enough to stream every game at high resolution.

There's no way you really believe that. But........lets say you are right and it's "technically" possible. Why do you believe every gamer on Earth will "WANT" to play their games through a forced internet connection?

Shubh_C63

Bottomline.
When talking about the future, specify a timeline.

MS strategy is amazing if this was 2035.
Lets see Sony sit idly by for 15 years not improving their PSNow, and good will of legion of fans throughout the years with these IPs.
Very Unlikely.

Though this only holds true for Gaming space. I have full belief in MS that they will excel in their secondary goals with the Gamepass strategy other than Gaming, which I don't care.

No.

Gaming hasn't reached a level of fidelity matching big-budget CG-heavy films of prior decade yet, there is still MUCH more that can be done with VR and AR as well.

Until those three things are tackled and become mainstream, we'll still have new consoles. I'd say another 10-15 years from now we'll still have consoles, but I think 11th-gen, say 2030-2032, that will most likely be the final "traditional" home console generation.

EDIT: I'll also say though that, if 10th-gen consoles don't make a serious push for mainstream VR/AR and standardization, then that might end up being the final console gen. Because just pushing more power or more speed is not going to be enough to entice even most of the hardcore/core gamers by that time, and the only massive shifts in game design can come from VR and AR technology integrations; cloud streaming will be a notable 2nd to those, but more power and storage speed will be last.

The big issue hanging up game dev around long dev times isn't even hardware anymore, it's required budget sizes and man-hours for asset creation & programming. Those are the new "bottlenecks", to use that popular term.

Oh god cloud gaming, couldn’t think of a worse way to kill my excitement for playing games.

Reductionist way to look at it. Cloud gaming isn't a replacement; it's a supplement. For even more ambitious games, much larger game visual fidelity etc., we WILL need cloud streaming because you can't expect to fit that required amount of data on a game disc or on whatever SSD storage future consoles come with. That's where the main benefits of the cloud come into play: acting as a strong buff to local native hardware gaming.

Unless you're okay with just slightly prettier versions of current games going forward :S

As of right now the public response point overwhelmingly to 'YES'. As I mentioned in the other thread the problem with Cloud Infrastructure is the fact that no.1 market - the US - has terrible Internet coverage with data caps. You cannot have any meaningful cloud implementation with that.

Ummm...it kind of depends on the game tbh. Miles Morales has underperformed despite being on both PS5 and PS4, for example. It's not the first time a Sony exclusive has underperformed and it probably won't be the last. This is irrespective of the game's actual quality, though: great games can fail in the commercial market for a variety of reasons.

I think people are looking at cloud streaming in a weirdly negative light, because they fear it's a replacement for local gaming. But because everyone who brings it up generally frames it that way I guess it can't be helped. Games like FS2020 show where the real future of cloud streaming is IMHO; as a supplemental benefit to enhance local gaming in ways that'd be unrealistic for a game to have locally (very large data sets of textures and assets, integration of real-world geographic, weather, traffic etc. data to replicate in game worlds, etc.).

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
tenor.gif

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I think people are looking at cloud streaming in a weirdly negative light, because they fear it's a replacement for local gaming. But because everyone who brings it up generally frames it that way I guess it can't be helped. Games like FS2020 show where the real future of cloud streaming is IMHO; as a supplemental benefit to enhance local gaming in ways that'd be unrealistic for a game to have locally (very large data sets of textures and assets, integration of real-world geographic, weather, traffic etc. data to replicate in game worlds, etc.).
Can't wait to try this on my XSX.

Astorian

Reductionist way to look at it. Cloud gaming isn't a replacement; it's a supplement.
I thought it’s the future? That’s what we’ve heard Time and time again.

For even more ambitious games, much larger game visual fidelity etc., we WILL need cloud streaming because you can't expect to fit that required amount of data on a game disc or on whatever SSD storage future consoles come with. That's where the main benefits of the cloud come into play: acting as a strong buff to local native hardware gaming.
What’s this based on? There haven’t been a massive outcry from developers about how physical consoles aren’t enough anymore.

Can't wait to try this on my XSX.

Same for a lot of people; I just hope there's new content and more "gamey" stuff alongside really good visuals and sim physics. Could help the game get more mainstream appeal that way, without compromising the hardcore sim side of things.

I thought it’s the future? That’s what we’ve heard Time and time again.

You've heard wrong, but so many people are selling it the other way simply because it's easier to convey.

What’s this based on? There haven’t been a massive outcry from developers about how physical consoles aren’t enough anymore.

Just general trends. Game install sizes are getting bigger and bigger, and the appeal of digital-only will probably be too strong for Sony and Microsoft to bother with a disc-based model for 10th-gen, meaning they'll need more storage space standard and even better compression/decompression technology.

But to replicate some of the visual effects in big-budget Hollywood films, as an example, you need not only powerful processing but lots and lots of data. At some point that's where the cloud comes in because publishers can't be expected to ship games on multiple blu-ray discs or have installs eating up half a terabyte of system storage.

Look at how games like FS2020 use cloud streaming to stream in texture assets to the game world pulled from real geography data online. Now imagine how that could be used for a next-gen GTA game in creating traffic pattern data from real-life locations of wherever the new game's based on, or mirroring real-world weather events in the game as they're happening at a given location. That's the real potential of cloud streaming for gaming IMHO, we're getting tastes of it right now but in a few years that type of stuff should become more and more common.

Only potential bottleneck is internet infrastructure and the fact current-gen systems don't really have I/O built with refining/redefining cloud streaming in mind the way they do with local SSD storage. That may be something 10th-gen systems look into, though, particularly on-the-fly compression/decompression of assets streamed from the cloud.

Azurro

Banned
Man........everyone of those reasons sound possible lol.

Tech writers and bloggers are also easily excitable and want to write about the next big thing or the next big disruption.

Cloud gaming sounds novel, they don't know anything about the market and they get paid to write articles that drive clicks, so they'll just do articles about it.

"Console gaming is doing fine and new releases are doing well, just like for the past 10 years+" is a very boring headline.

Marvel14

Banned
Interesting article.

Sony may win the console battle with Microsoft but it may very well lose the war. Even Microsoft seems to acknowledge they are looking to compete with Google and Amazon and Sony isn't even their concern anymore.

Microsoft has the infrastructure and know how to potentially dominate Sony over Cloud gaming. I like being able to stream games myself. Will PlayStation exclusives be enough?

https://www.ccn.com/the-ps5-could-be-sonys-last-gaming-console-ever/
TL - DR
Nintendo and Sony are BOTH doomed.

You read it here first!

Last edited:
These kinds of articles can only reflect views of people who live in a bubble of privelege and/or have a vested interest in pushing an agenda. On planet reality, internet infrastructure is nowhere close to where it needs to be to making these kinds of proclamations. We're at minimum a couple decades away. PS8/Xbox Series XXX are safe.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Cloud gaming is lame, also I expect cloud gaming to flop real hard not the other way around. It's much easier for Sony to make could-like service just like PS Plus and you download the games and play them natively instead of dedicating a whole system for someone that will play a game or two every other month.

I can see cloud gaming collapsing, not the other way around as it's too expensive to sustain and would eventually charge beyond $30/mo. Comparing Netflix is a total joke as you don't need $500 hardware for each streamer to run the game let alone other complicated HW as it's interactive.

Last edited:
At the end of The Last of Us Part 3, the PS5 will be holding Xbox Series X's hand as PS5 tells Xbox, "It really is the last of us".

Hardware will continue to be produced as long as there is a market demand for it.

I can see a future, where everyone has a strong, cheap, 100% reliable internet connection, when hardware could become obsolete. I can see that future coming, eventually. It's the stuff of sci-fi & dreams for now though.

Soodanim

Hardware will continue to be produced as long as there is a market demand for it.

I can see a future, where everyone has a strong, cheap, 100% reliable internet connection, when hardware could become obsolete. I can see that future coming, eventually. It's the stuff of sci-fi & dreams for now though.
Fortunately the market dictates, so as long as people keep buying they’ll keep selling

Macattk15

Interesting article.

Sony may win the console battle with Microsoft but it may very well lose the war. Even Microsoft seems to acknowledge they are looking to compete with Google and Amazon and Sony isn't even their concern anymore.

Microsoft has the infrastructure and know how to potentially dominate Sony over Cloud gaming. I like being able to stream games myself. Will PlayStation exclusives be enough?

mad max thats GIF

mxbison

The new consoles are breaking records and instantly sold out everywhere. And people will go just as crazy (if not more) for the next Nintendo System.

I doubt companies stop printing cash with consoles because analysts/journalists keep saying they're dead....

RockOn

Sony is a very small fish when compared to Microsoft. Most of Sony’s businesses are falling, these days the PlayStation brand is their biggest earner, I expect the mobile division to go under next.
If it was just about money Sony would have been out of the console business along time ago. But, its not. Thats why the smaller Company(by market cap)always beats Microsoft , ever console generation. Sony does more with less. It just shows ya how strong the 'Sony Playstation' brand is.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Interesting article.

They say the same thing since ps3

Last edited:
Top Bottom