• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 sucks, actually - Desperate blogger creates clickbait article and headline

ManaByte

There are currently 54 PlayStation 2 games playable on PlayStation 4/5.

There are currently 42 Xbox games playable on Xbox One/Series.

salt salting GIF
You're omitting the fact that you have to re-buy those PS2 games where your original Xbox discs can be used on the Series X.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Actually the glossy part of my PS5 does have some very minor scratches. :( No idea how they've happened, just from wiping the console off I think. So that part isn't completely wrong!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
so i have a PS2 copy of vice city and MGS2. can i play them on xbox series?
yes, but its not as convenient as just putting a disc into the system. needs a little extra work, but it works good.

you need to install retroarch on your xbox.
you have to make dumps of your games. not that hard to do with discs. you need to do this with every game you want to play though. I don't know if you can dump on the Xbox Series directly, I guess not. You can use a PC though. Get those games on a SSD, plug it into you Xbox and then you should be good to go. for detailed tutorials there are literally hundreds around YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greggy

So, I came across this stellar piece of gaming journalism: The Article

Basically, it can be summarized into the following key points:

- SSD expansion is a mess
- Smart Delivery is better then the mess PS5/PS4 has.
- No native solution to better improve older games
- No faceplates
- Playstation Plus sucks
- No Backwards compatibility
- No Quick Resume
- No Dolby Vision or Atmos support
- No 1440p
- Submenus and turning off the console is a pain

Instead of just posting the article and waiting for the inevitable flood of outrage, I thought to discuss my feelings on each point below.

The article starts off with the following unbiased nugget.

What? Giant I will grant you. Ugly, sure some people hate it (I personally love it). But easily damaged? How so? Are people randomly kicking the console or dropping it? My unit has not moved since I got it last year, and other then some dust it is pristine. You know you are in for a treat when somebody complains about a stationary console being easily damaged.

Take off face plate, unscrew, screw in, attach face plate. Truly to accomplish this feat is an engineering marvel. Does the article writer assume everyone is an idiot? The XSX is of course the easier and more elegant option, but just because one option is easier than the other, does not make the other option hard.

They sued one company that was treading dangerous waters by calling the product 'Platestation', other plates are available now and none of them have been sued. And really, releasing plates to prop up sales, how does that logic even work?

What, how on earth are these scratches occurring? Does this relate to the previous point that the units are easily damaged? Once again, mine is fine. I agree on the dust part though.

The author then brings up ray-tracing as a slight against the PS5, when the PS5 has more games that allow ray-tracing and 60 FPS then the XSX does. Yes the ray-tracing capabilities of both consoles have been over-hyped, but blame the AMD implementation, not Sony or Microsoft.

Next the article goes on about how Smart Delivery and FPS boost are great features and the PS5 has nothing similar, with game upgrades on the PS5 being terrible. This part of the article I agree with, Smart Delivery is great and Sony could certainly have improved upon this at launch, but it appears they are addressing these issues with 2.0 clearly marking the version of the game and save transfers getting better. No arguments from me here.

FPS boost is also very well done, but it is not as great as it could have been with some games, having to choose between 900p/60fps and 4k/30fps on Far Cry 5 is not an easy choice to make. It almost feels as if the XSX should have been a bit more powerful, as the gap between XOX and XSX is just not as pronounced as the PS4 Pro/PS5 gap. But credit where credit is due, MS has a good feature here, just get around to adding more games please.

Playstation Plus offers way better games then Games with Gold, you actually get damn fine games with the former. And why bring up monthly subscription fee to play online? All consoles do that. The Xbox isn't magically better in this regard.

I've never had this issue, my games update when my console is in rest mode. Anyone else have any issues with this?

Yes, Quick Resume is a fantastic feature, props again to Microsoft here. PS5 can offer similar functionality with activity cards, but it is just not the same. Quick Resume would have been a godsend for Returnal. That being said, I've never sat down to play PS5 and thought to myself that the 10-20 second for the initial load is unbearable.

At this point the author has some digs against the Dualsense (fair enough, mine are fine but numerous users have reported issues) and the lacking functionality of the PS5 as a media box. Now my LG Oled is good enough for my media needs, but it is odd that the PS5 comes with a media controller but lacks such features as Dolby Vision and Atmos support. Sony TVs support these for example, and it's odd that the flagship console does not. The media capabilities of the PS5 are pretty shit in general, so I don't disagree here.

The last gripes are about 1440p support and turning off the console, fair enough on the former (but seriously, how many people are we talking about here), but the latter is just silly. Sure the PS5 method is stupid, but it's one or two button presses more.

TL;DR: While the PS5 has flaws, for every good point the article raises, it has several others that make zero sense, apply to both consoles, or are straight up blown out of proportion. Feels almost like a paid puff piece, rather than trying to have a serious discussion.

Last edited:

mejin

Ryan Houlihan is an podcaster, editor, and retro video game enthusiast who probably should have just become a drag queen.

That comes from the author. He's right.

ksdixon

I feel like this thread is going to lead to some folks getting banned over warring lol.

I don't think any of the consoles suck personally. I enjoy my ps5, series x, and switch. They all have their pros & cons of course, but this article is kinda wack. Don't get too carried away folks lol
Good shout.
I tend to rip Sony even when they are my peferred place to play. There just always seems to be an element of "you're doing well, but you could be doing soo much better!". Seriously not a fan of the PS5 leadership team on so many fronts.

assurdum

Banned
So why is Apple so successful... It's the Fanbase🤷‍♂️. Many customers will not change to another while they are in their Ecosystem. The Xbox is definitely the better Console but the lack of Games was a Problem in the past. So I think for myself we will see a bette Xbox between 2022-2023. For the Future Xbox has definitely the better Games in the Pipeline but not yet. Gamepass will also help here😉
The level of fanboysm and unfairness of this post is something else. Be the better console for you doesn't means most of the people with different tastes, are sheeps without consciousness about what is it better in terms of offer.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
The only thing sony fanboys ever pull out is "It sells more", thanks for that information, not like I cant see its selling more, doesn't mean its this perfect piece of hardware.
If it sells more it means most of the people find the playstation preferable to the Xbox . Who has ever talked of perfect hardware? The fans obsessed about the perfectionism/superiority chats, seem more coming from the opposite front, if I can say.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So why is Apple so successful... It's the Fanbase🤷‍♂️. Many customers will not change to another while they are in their Ecosystem. The Xbox is definitely the better Console but the lack of Games was a Problem in the past. So I think for myself we will see a bette Xbox between 2022-2023. For the Future Xbox has definitely the better Games in the Pipeline but not yet. Gamepass will also help here😉
We can't say Xbox has the better games in the pipeline until we see Playstation's full roadmap

Something tells me that Sony is developing some unbelievable games behind the scenes

assurdum

Banned
We can't say Xbox has the better games in the pipeline until we see Playstation's full roadmap

Something tells me that Sony is developing some unbelievable games behind the scenes
I would be very careful to define already Xbox the console with the better games in the pipeline just because they have acquired Bethesda. Wouldn't be the first time things are not ended as expected.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No need to get personal. Don’t run your mouth off about shit you don’t understand or hve no knowledge on.

You opened an argument with me by claiming my post was "peak fanboyism" despite in it me calling the PS5's "not smart" delivery mechanism "really badly presented and needlessly obtuse."

Hardly a glowing recommendation, don't you think? Even if I did balance my criticism with a positive use case where installing the "wrong" SKU could actually be desirable.

But apparently saying both good and bad things about a system doesn't quantify as demonstrating "pro's and con's" to you, and I need to define what quantifies the difference between automated SKU selection and a manual one... As if there is anything conceivably more to it than that!

You earned the insult pal.

Hobbygaming

I would be very careful to define already Xbox the console with the better games in the pipeline just because they have acquired Bethesda. Wouldn't be the first time things are not ended as expected.
Yep, there's been more than a few instances when games didn't turn out the way many thought they would

Why are you acting like that is an impossible scenario? Symbian and Blackberry were both market leaders. MySpace was a market leader. Nothing lasts forever especially in the tech sector.
I could just as easily ask you why you think it's an inevitable scenario. You say you never claimed Valve and Steam were doomed, but that sure seems like the right word to describe the kind of future you've envisioning for them should they stick to their current path.

Rather than simply giving up the top spot to a competitor, all of the companies and products you've compared them to failed catastrophically in their respective fields. At best, they're walking corpses, granted a temporary reprieve from death by the (rapidly declining) perceived value of their brand names. At worst, they're straight-up dead.

How much of a difference is there really between "Valve need to secure more exclusives, or they're doomed" and "Valve need to secure more exclusives, or they'll end up like Blockbuster"?

I don't see why it would not be. This is called emulation, it can be perfectly legal.
I'm not so sure about that. AFAIK the small print on most physical games will say something like "This software is licensed for play on authorized [insert console here] systems only", usually followed by a warning informing you that you're not allowed to copy, transfer. rent out or resell the game either.

I've never heard of Sony or anyone else actually enforcing this, though.

freefornow

For those of us in certain regions who are still struggling to get a PS5 of either variant, the "video" banner of the article is cruel! Didn't go any further with article.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

This generation has so much more potential than last-gen

But so far its been so lackluster imo

Still feels like its mostly last-gen and its gonna take another 3-5 years

Greggy

- No faceplates
- Playstation Plus sucks
- No Quick Resume
- No 1440p

Instead of just posting the article and waiting for the inevitable flood of outrage, I thought to discuss my feelings on each point below.

What? Giant I will grant you. Ugly, sure some people hate it (I personally love it). But easily damaged? How so? Are people randomly kicking the console or dropping it? My unit has not moved since I got it last year, and other then some dust it is pristine. You know you are in for a treat when somebody complains about a stationary console being easily damaged.

Take off face plate, unscrew, screw in, attach face plate. Truly to accomplish this feat is an engineering marvel. Does the article writer assume everyone is an idiot? The XSX is of course the easier and more elegant option, but just because one option is easier than the other, does not make the other option hard.

They sued one company that was treading dangerous waters by calling the product 'Platestation', other plates are available now and none of them have been sued. And really, releasing plates to prop up sales, how does that logic even work?

What, how on earth are these scratches occurring? Does this relate to the previous point that the units are easily damaged? Once again, mine is fine. I agree on the dust part though.

The author then brings up ray-tracing as a slight against the PS5, when the PS5 has more games that allow ray-tracing and 60 FPS then the XSX does. Yes the ray-tracing capabilities of both consoles have been over-hyped, but blame the AMD implementation, not Sony or Microsoft.

Next the article goes on about how Smart Delivery and FPS boost are great features and the PS5 has nothing similar, with game upgrades on the PS5 being terrible. This part of the article I agree with, Smart Delivery is great and Sony could certainly have improved upon this at launch, but it appears they are addressing these issues with 2.0 clearly marking the version of the game and save transfers getting better. No arguments from me here.

FPS boost is also very well done, but it is not as great as it could have been with some games, having to choose between 900p/60fps and 4k/30fps on Far Cry 5 is not an easy choice to make. It almost feels as if the XSX should have been a bit more powerful, as the gap between XOX and XSX is just not as pronounced as the PS4 Pro/PS5 gap. But credit where credit is due, MS has a good feature here, just get around to adding more games please.

Playstation Plus offers way better games then Games with Gold, you actually get damn fine games with the former. And why bring up monthly subscription fee to play online? All consoles do that. The Xbox isn't magically better in this regard.

I've never had this issue, my games update when my console is in rest mode. Anyone else have any issues with this?

Yes, Quick Resume is a fantastic feature, props again to Microsoft here. PS5 can offer similar functionality with activity cards, but it is just not the same. Quick Resume would have been a godsend for Returnal. That being said, I've never sat down to play PS5 and thought to myself that the 10-20 second for the initial load is unbearable.

At this point the author has some digs against the Dualsense (fair enough, mine are fine but numerous users have reported issues) and the lacking functionality of the PS5 as a media box. Now my LG Oled is good enough for my media needs, but it is odd that the PS5 comes with a media controller but lacks such features as Dolby Vision and Atmos support. Sony TVs support these for example, and it's odd that the flagship console does not. The media capabilities of the PS5 are pretty shit in general, so I don't disagree here.

The last gripes are about 1440p support and turning off the console, fair enough on the former (but seriously, how many people are we talking about here), but the latter is just silly. Sure the PS5 method is stupid, but it's one or two button presses more.

TL;DR: While the PS5 has flaws, for every good point the article raises, it has several others that make zero sense, apply to both consoles, or are straight up blown out of proportion. Feels almost like a paid puff piece, rather than trying to have a serious discussion.
ILuQg6L.gif

The PS5 is to OP what the goddess Athena is to knights of the zodiac.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yet only 26% of xbox 360 games are BC with series x.
That's actually quite decent considering there are licenses getting in the way and the fact that there are publishers that rather "remastering" their games and selling them again then putting them on BC.

The older the game the more problematic the scenario can be with licenses. Nintendo doesn't even have 5% of NES and SNES games on their Online service and don't get me wrong, that is low effort, but a reason why it's not just releasing a rom file are licenses and publishers rereleasing their oldies on their own. Microsoft is the only company right now that actually puts some effort into BC. Most important 360 games are on BC, they are improving and enhancing BC games, they often feel like remasters, content you already bought doesn't need to be bought again. There could be more OG Xbox games, but this is definitely a decent effort to say the least.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
"This software is licensed for play on authorized [insert console here] systems only", usually followed by a warning informing you that you're not allowed to copy, transfer. rent out or resell the game either.
Emulation is legal and none of the big companies can do something to stop it. They can only go after rom hosting sites that share rom dumps. Sharing dumps is illegal. Making dumps yourself is grey (kinda silly that it's not 100% legal as it undermines the efforts by the emulation community and the court cases that spoke in favor of emulation), emulation is legal.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

- No faceplates
- Playstation Plus sucks
- No Quick Resume
- No 1440p

I've been jumping from Returnal, Demon Souls, Rift Apart and Spider-man

They are 1,000% wrong

You would think they understand that content is king with microsoft going acquisition crazy but they still keep going on about BC, quick resume and smart delivery, like any of that means shit compared to actual games. How you gonna overestimate features like that and underestimate games? Xbox fans in particular have a hard time grasping this basic concept and they nitpick the most dumbest shit about playstation.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Paying close to 9 months of game pass ($135 + $20 unlock) and only getting The Medium (timed exclusives + 1 game that launched a whole year prior "Airplanes") with it, and still make use of the same rhetoric from yesteryear "... but we has 15,412 C64, Atari, MSX, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 games!" to win over an argument decades later and/or to justify the purchase of a console made in 2020!

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)
Bugs Bunny GIF

Kagey K

Banned
Paying close to 9 months of game pass ($135 + $20 unlock) and only getting The Medium (timed exclusives + 1 game that launched a whole year prior "Airplanes") with it, and still make use of the same rhetoric from yesteryear "... but we has 15,412 C64, Atari, MSX, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 games!" to win over an argument decades later and/or to justify the purchase of a console made in 2020!

Bugs Bunny GIF
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Justin9mm

I'm not going to say it sucks but as someone who has a PS5 and XSX I think the XSX is pretty much far superior in almost every way. Shocking because last gen I never even touched my XO and always played my PS4.
I'm not going to discredit you because the XSX is still a beast but to say it is superior in almost every way is a bit of a stretch imo.

And if you talking OG XO and PS4, I'm not surprised, OG XO is an under powered piece of shit.

PS5's biggest fail though is their BC implementation compared to XSX's smart delivery which we now realise is pretty awesome in comparison.

93xfan

Banned

- No faceplates
- Playstation Plus sucks
- No Quick Resume
- No 1440p

You forgot a few:

-what they did to the Socom franchise
-no VRR

Pretty good list otherwise, OP. :p

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

You would think they understand that content is king with microsoft going acquisition crazy but they still keep going on about BC, quick resume and smart delivery, like any of that means shit compared to actual games. How you gonna overestimate features like that and underestimate games? Xbox fans in particular have a hard time grasping this basic concept and they nitpick the most dumbest shit about playstation.
Yeah, all of that extra stuff is meaningless to me. I'm all about the games and will always be. The push for features over games is ridiculous IMO

Ev1L AuRoN

- SSD expansion is a mess (No it's not)
- Smart Delivery is better then the mess PS5/PS4 has (meh).
- No native solution to better improve older games (okay)
- No faceplates (pff?)
- Playstation Plus sucks(they both sucks, online should be free)
- No Backwards compatibility (sure, but PS4 bc is good enough for me)
- No Quick Resume (Meh)
- No Dolby Vision or Atmos support (it has HDR and 3D sound what else do you need?)
- No 1440p (PS5 on a PC monitor is a crime)
- Submenus and turning off the console is a pain (what?)

rolandss

It sounds like a blog written by a 16 year old Xbox fanboy. Its not worth losing sleep over. PS5 is a solid piece of kit, I know I’ve got one. The problem is there’s no games out for it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ya sorry, but every one of those criticisms is right on point.

However, the hardware is great, the controller is great, and there are lots of excellent games either out or in the works. Don't be so sensitive to a little criticism.......

Izumar

Banned

Bugs Bunny GIF
Gamepass ultimate cost me 67$ for a year. Just saying, it probably gives me more back in reward points than it costs. I have had it since it came out and never paid much more than that. it goes on sale constantly.

Top Bottom