• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 sucks, actually - Desperate blogger creates clickbait article and headline

Maogp

- SSD expansion is a mess:
a little bit. For "normal" people expanding the memory could be a not so easy task.

- Smart Delivery is better then the mess PS5/PS4 has:
definitely

- No native solution to better improve older games:
true but not a big issue. Yeah, fps boost is really good but in the end you buy new consoles to run new games.

- No faceplates:
for now

- Playstation Plus sucks:
not true, way better than Gold

- No Backwards compatibility:
lol wat? Ps4 games are supported

- No Quick Resume:
fucking true. For whos says "games starts in seconds" you didn't tried the Quick resume, isn't? Is a totally game changer of the way you play. Starting a game in seconds is different to load a game in seconds AND start EXACTLY where you left when you quitted the game yesterday, last week and even last month.

- No Dolby Vision or Atmos support:
for now

- No 1440p:
lol this is a joke. who's care

- Submenus and turning off the console is a pain:
jesus. c'mon. Yeah, the UI is young but "a pain"?

Imtjnotu

You severely misunderstand this industry then, enthusiasts are a very very small number compared to the mass casuals, I work with people in the public space in the industry, a lot of them upgraded to a PS5 because its the next iteration they don't care about fancy features, a lot of them just do it to play COD or FIFA that looks better.
So out of the 120 million ps4 owners what percentage do you think makes up the casual group

Derktron

Banned
Very brave of you to admit that and I applaud you for being very brave when many people on here would take offense for such an opinion

LOLCats

Banned
I could list a bunch of things that "suck" about the xbox SX too.

lets talk about things that don't suck?

i'll start

PS5 OS is buttery smooth
PS5 runs cool and quiet

skit_data

For causals yes. Don't be dense into thinking that Neogaf is the only place where gamers live and hang out if you know what I mean. Don't just assume that you would be very surpise.
Its not harder than swapping the HDD on a PS3 or a PS4 so I can’t see the casual market suffer too much. Most casuals can live with the 667 GB available as well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
what's the obsession with dolby vision?
I have lg c1... I've watched movies in hdr10 and in dv... and there is absolutely no difference.
Even if there was, it's not worth dolby proprietary bs

cireza

Banned
Also if the console had been a little bit more powerful then FPS boost
You are vastly underestimating how much power would be required in my opinion. Series X is definitely the best they could be with a 500$ price-point, what you are wishing for would have cost more.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Does Atmos matter if their sound engine can output PCM? I don't know if it supports the additional upfiring speakers but Atmos itself presumably unnecessary because they already have their own object based surround. They would just have to follow through on the home theater/soundbar support

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The thing for me is the PS5's "not smart" delivery mechanism is actually more flexible than MS's solution, even if it is really badly presented and needlessly obtuse.

If you have both PS4 and PS5 its nice to be able to just download onto an external drive and be able to freely use the same copy on both.

FunkMiller

At this stage, anyone claiming that either the Ps5 or the Series X sucks, is clearly a fucking idiot. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses, but the key point is that they are on a par with one another in almost every important way. Pointless discussion.

Calverz

The Switch sucks, a lot. No Bluetooth, poor hardware, etc. etc. But it sells well because people like their games. In the end of the day, that's all that matters no? PS5 already has A LOT of highly rated exclusives > 1 year of the consoles launch. Everything else will be improved overtime. Some fair complaints, most of it non-sense.
30L0te6.jpg

Calverz

The thing for me is the PS5's "not smart" delivery mechanism is actually more flexible than MS's solution, even if it is really badly presented and needlessly obtuse.

If you have both PS4 and PS5 its nice to be able to just download onto an external drive and be able to freely use the same copy on both.
This is peak fanboyism. Wtf

kyliethicc

Also more PS2 games can be played on Xbox series than PS5.

Xbox can play all PS2 games though.

Xbox Series can play all those PS2 games too.... and PS1 :messenger_grinning:

There are currently 54 PlayStation 2 games playable on PlayStation 4/5.

There are currently 42 Xbox games playable on Xbox One/Series.

salt salting GIF

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
ps5 is a good console...but it is behind the XSX in feature that when I go from my SX to PS5 I do miss those features. Quick resume is probably the one I miss the most, but everything on the list listed isn't wrong. I think saying "PS5 needs to catch up in areas" is better. But sony has 0 incentive too...why catch up when you don't have to as market leader. I think once Xbox services inevitably start to surpass PS net revenue then you'll see some changes, but until then they have 0 incentive to add these features.
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

SSfox

"here is a clickbait article the author packed full of nonsense to get people arguing and clicking"

Why?-----Just why share trash and bring the author the clicks he desires thus validating his approach instead of just ignoring it?

bender

What time is it?
Compared to the XMB from the PS3 and the PS4 implementation, PS5's UI seems like everything is a layer or two too deep. It's definitely a step back from its' predecessor and I actually prefer the XSX UI which is something I thought I'd never say.

Storage is kind of a mess too. The internal "Other Storage" doesn't appear to scrub itself properly. I had 100+ GB allocated to it. I actually factory reset my PS5 last night, transferred back my games and now I'm down to 15GB.

skit_data

Compared to the XMB from the PS3 and the PS4 implementation, PS5's UI seems like everything is a layer or two too deep. It's definitely a step back from its' predecessor and I actually prefer the XSX UI which is something I thought I'd never say.

Storage is kind of a mess too. The internal "Other Storage" doesn't appear to scrub itself properly. I had 100+ GB allocated to it. I actually factory reset my PS5 last night, transferred back my games and now I'm down to 15GB.
Factory reset? Rebuilding database / clear system cache should be enough?

bender

What time is it?
Factory reset? Rebuilding database / clear system cache should be enough?

Those do nothing for "Other Storage".

I have my PS4 games on an external drive. I exported my PS5 games to a different external drive, used a factory reset, transferred back and reduced the size by 85+ GB. Transfers also are problematic between storage devices. I often get "an error occurred" when trying to move games back and forth. It actually corrupted my Demon Souls install and I had to redownload.

A lot of people advise never installing PS4 games to the internal drive. Problem is, I sometimes have issues patching PS4 games on my external drive. If I move them to the internal, it patches just fine.

Last edited:
then why ps5 is so successful?
So why is Apple so successful... It's the Fanbase🤷‍♂️. Many customers will not change to another while they are in their Ecosystem. The Xbox is definitely the better Console but the lack of Games was a Problem in the past. So I think for myself we will see a bette Xbox between 2022-2023. For the Future Xbox has definitely the better Games in the Pipeline but not yet. Gamepass will also help here😉

ZywyPL

Banned
A bunch of valid points, I'd add lack of VRR to the lot as well, but honestly those are not an essential aspects. Bottom line is, the console if far from "sucking" and if you'll plug the console into your 4K TVs and play the games you'll have a blast regardless.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

salt salting GIF
... but I can't put a PS2 disc into a PS4/5 and expect it to work. It does jag. Meaning, I have to buy again.
Meanwhile on Xbox the lineup of OG Xbox games needs work, but it's real BC at least.

CuNi

I mean those are subjective valid points, but I'd say there is only barely 2-3 points that one could talk about.

Yes, Xbox has better Backwards compatibility, but if you are so dependent on it that it might "make or break" your purchase, you might want to rethink if you actually want a new console.
SSD expansion is no problem for enthusiasts, but 95% of buyers are probably not enthusiasts. I'd completely understand the argument "I don't wanna tinker with it in any shape or form".
And the audiophiles with the money would probably care much about Atmos etc.

But those are very very specific and subjective points.
None of those is what I would call "a deal breaker".

salt salting GIF

PS4/5 can play 54 PS2 games.
Xbox One/Series can play 42 Xbox games..

But you also forgot to mention that Xbox One/Series can play 577 Xbox 360 games on top of the 42 Xbox Games..
But you just forgot to add that by accident, right?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I stopped caring about what other people thought of consoles when I was 16. All that matters to me is my enjoyment level. So far I think it’s a good system with flaws like inability to upgrade internal storage to large storage affordably yet(if at all), inability to create folders in the OS and other quality of life stuff. But the potential is certainly there.

Most of these things can and will probably be fixed via updates in the future, new consoles are always in beta for the first couple years unfortunately and the PS5 is no different.

But Sony is delivering so far with solid exclusive PS5 games compared to what MS has been doing and the games are all that matters IMO.

KAL2006

Banned
You can't deny Microsoft has them beat on it of console features. Better backwards compatibility (more getting patched for free like Gears, double framerate initiative), 1440p support, VRR support). Smart delivery, and lack of quick resume.

However I disagree with SSD mess, in the long run it will be the cheaper solution.

However all those above features stated let's be honest it won't change the tides and translate into console sales.

Backwards compatible, no one will buy a system because a few more games got patches. And the market that want to play original Xbox games and 360 games are small. Sony already had a PS2 Classics initiative and they must have the data it didn't sell much for not bothering anymore.

1440p, another niche feature most consumers will be saying on their TVs and not monitors. And people with monitors are most likely PC gamers that probably buy the bulk of their games on PC and only get exclusives so not much of a loss with sales for these consumers.

VRR, another niche thing that I doubt sales are lost from, it seems rumour is VRR is delayed due to Sony waiting on HDMI update for their TVs they didn't enable it on PS5 as it will make their TVs look bad, imagine PS5 supports VRR on LG TVs and not Sony's. Also there haven't been many games with unstable framerates so far.

Lack of quick resume, another feature that I don't think affect sales but if I had to pick this is the biggest ommision. I personally like activities and being able to launch games into certain levels, missions and etc while skipping logos. Unfortunately the way it's laid out it's a mess and random, Sony need to clean it up and have it organised .

So overall none of these issues are actually a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And Sony have provided more exclusive games like Ratchet, Returnal and Demon Souls which matter most I the end which is the games.

ksdixon

then why ps5 is so successful?
PS4's coatails and good games.

Almost everything else from dashboard downgrades, lack od customer communication, poor upgrade paths for games/confusion around them and the quality of what they offer vs xb's free upgrades for old games, price of games, embarassments like mlb the show and outriders where sony asks you to pay its new 70 price vs xb's gamepass "for free", jim ryan always putting his foot in his mouth when we "do" hear something from them, lack of BC, lack of big annoucement trailer shows, lack of quality for state of play shows, seeming lack of direction overall... All that sucks ass.

Honestly sony is lucky it has the games because xb is shitting in its mouth in terms of how the company is run and marketed, and policies.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

This guy is wrong on some points. It's clear exactly what the article is the way he downs PS and immediately praises xbox right after.

Just our daily fuck PS hail Microsoft article on the web every day.

so are sony just going to fluke another generation because of poor competition or are the goalposts being moved again? whats the excuse this time? why are consumers not seeing the greatness of the xbox brand?

Top Bottom