• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 may be another PS3 based on Sonys current behavior.

hunthunt

Banned
I dont think that anyone can surpass Microsofts arrogance of releasing a completely shit console like the vanilla Xbox One and mantain their users without any decent exclusive for 5 years, and even release a expensive update boasting his power and still have zero exclusives that take advantage of his power.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The PS4 started out strong against a poorly thought-out, but also misunderstood Xbox One reveal. Specifically the policies were a major concern and Sony took advantage of the platter Microsoft handed them. But then E3 came and we saw the first glimpse of what I like to call 'Sunray Sony" why do I call them that? The rays of the Sun can be beautiful but if they increase in intensity it can become blinding or cause health issues of the skin, fooling you to your death.

That's what the PS4 has been going through since E3, where Sony quickly introduced paid online as quickly as possible and tried to bury it, but the crowd was not fooled and the cheers they were giving before turned into stumbled silence.

We saw Sony deny cross-play and only open up to a few select titles, lack of effort into Backwards Compatibility so they can charge you high prices for PSNOW, raising the prices of PSN+ in several countries, censorship, egotistical interviews with developers, closing down of studios that don't meet their new inflated criteria, acting like it's a privilege for you to buy their console.

To top it all off we have confirmed rumors that report on the speculation that the PS5 will be releasing with weak specifications and assuming you will buy it because they think you don't have a choice. They are so far up their ass that they believe that you will buy the weaker console just because you should be honored to even have a console to buy in the first place.

This leads me to believe that Sunray Sony, or arrogant Sony for the masses, has returned and will need another slap in the face to get in line.
this is one of the stupidest posts ive ever had the displeasure of reading.

first of all, we dont have confirmed reports that the ps5 will be releasing with weak specs. wtf does confirmed reports on speculation even mean? speculation is speculation. confirming speculation doesnt make it a reality. what you have here is a 5700 being tested in an apu. it means nothing. just wait and see before assuming shit and accusing them of being up their ass.

sony themselves have said that the price will be appealing base on the advanced feature set. if you think that means a weak $399 console, you are reaching.

how can arrogant sony return when they literally gave in on crossplay? online subs and selling games on their consoles is literally their business model. consoles dont sell for profit. they make money from game sales and now, from ps+ subs. by allowing crossplay, they are literally giving up the 30% digital revenue or 10% royalty from retail sales and all of the ps+ revenue that will now go to microsoft. if i was their investor, i would be extremely pissed because they just gave up their main source of revenue to please some entitled millennials who rode the outrage culture to get what they wanted. you know instead of buying the right console that had a decent size playerbase to sustain mp games. but thats gamers for you.

Let us wait and see if arrogant sony sells a 30% weaker console for $399. they have never been beaten on specs at launch and now that they are making billions in profits, it makes no sense to release a 30% weaker console. if they do come under ms it will be by such a small margin it wont matter.

your entire thought process reeks of selective amnesia. PS Now WAS expensive, they literally cut it in half and now it sells for the same price as gamepass. it is no longer just a streaming service, it lets you download games on ps4. it is no longer a bc service, it lets you play AAA games like gow on your pc. they HAVE changed and adopted. why would an arrogant company change their ways? they did shut down a couple of studios, but they also gave every studio 5-6 years to make one game. SSM took 5 years to make gow. sony delayed the game instead of shipping it broken like Ass creed games, battlefield games, and bioware games. days gone was delayed four times. shipped with bugs but they still gave that team 8 years to make the game after shipping uncharted vita in december of 2011. horizon took 6 years. ghost of tshushima wouldve taken another 6 years. detroit took 5 years.

they have gone out of their way to delay games to make sure they dont ship broken games. tlou being a recent example. thats pro consumer. thats the opposite of arrogant. in a generation where everyone chased microtransactions, dlcs, season passes, GAAS shit, sony went ahead and championed single player games. in the last seven years, they have won 4 goty awards from majority of publishers.

there have been several different journalists saying the ps5 is more powerful than the xbox. so it should be more than 12 tflops. they are promising hardware rt, dedicated 3d audio processors, fastest ssd on the planet, 8 core 16 thread cpu, why would they skimp out on the gpu? to save a few dollars? and i mean a few. the difference between 9 to 12 tflops might be 30% but that doesnt mean the chip will be 30% more expensive. you are looking at $20 max. lets just wait and see before having a meltdown.

Cleared_Hot

Sony: "Next gen starts at the end of this year, but fuck it, let's launch TLoU2, Ghost of Tushima and FF7 remake this year, for all of the PS4 owners"

Microsoft "We have no exclusives to offer right now, but check back later for more promises of games coming soon, we promise"

See OP, anyone can shit post.
They did this with GOW2... Wait maybe ps5 is a pS3 again 😂

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They did this with GOW2... Wait maybe ps5 is a pS3 again 😂

They kind of did it with PS1, PS2, PS3, and now PS4 to be fair. It is one of the appeals of the platform long support with lots games and services even when the new generation is on the horizon or already out while the other competitors would see major droughts once the new console is announced.

Fnord

You can literally install a third-party PS3 emulator on a jailbroken PS4. first-party one would take less effort and less resources.

Is that emulator something you would be willing to include in a $400 box sold to the average consumer as a backward compatibility solution?

kyussman

Sony have had an amazing generation with 100 million sales and a shit load of great games......try as I might I can't conjure a pessimistic view about PS5.
With TLoU Part II and Ghost of Tsushima still to come I'm pretty excited about the transition from PS4 to PS5,all this doom and gloom in the OP seems like silly nonsense to me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You mean the ps3 that still managed to outsell the 360 worldwide after a rocky start? OK. Nintendo won that round handily anyhow. :) How's xbox one done after its rocky start to this gen? Oh right, in 2nd place on track to fall to 3rd.

Last edited:

Ghatazhak

Neo Member
I guess, time will tell, but look what happened after the success of PS2. PS3 was a disaster at launch.

Now, PS4 was successful, using the same logic, PS5 must be a failure at launch.

But we will see next year. Time will tell.

Shouldn't PS2 have been the one that failed since the PS1 was successful by that logic?

Last edited:
By being opinions and not facts. Many people hold the "opinion" that the earth is flat. Is that true? You always seem out of your depth.
When you can produce your very own picture of the round earth then your opinion on that is also just that. Don't believe everything you're told. Question everything.

gatti-man

PS3 only suffered because Blu-ray wasn’t cost effective yet. The cheapest Blu-ray player when the PS3 hit was $1,000. So it’s literally impossible for Sony to do that this time.

sainraja

Sony's a company. Microsoft is a company. Sony runs Playstation and Microsoft runs Xbox. They have to move forward with whatever strategy they have put money and effort into and show confidence that they have what their consumers are looking for. They get it right sometimes, and they get it wrong.

Erdrick

They don't have crazy Ken at the helm anymore so I'm sure it wont be quite the same situation as it was for the PS3. Unless I've missed Yoshida saying people need to get 3 jobs for a PS5 and like it?

But we'll see.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They don't have crazy Ken at the helm anymore so I'm sure it wont be quite the same situation as it was for the PS3. Unless I've missed Yoshida saying people need to get 3 jobs for a PS5 and like it?

But we'll see.
Ya. Krazy Ken was the guy pumping PS3 doing 1080p at 120 fps before launch. What a bogus pump job that was. Number of games that did that. Zero.

PS3's biggest issues were bogus hype, a $600 price, devs having trouble with the system specs, and there were hardly any good games the first few years.

PS4 and PS5 (presumably) doesn't seem to have Sony exec blowhards touting PR (unless Cerny tries his FP16 again), doubtful PS5 will $600, and the recent gens of Xbox and PS systems seem to be more like traditional PC which should make it easier. Whether or not there's big name Sony first party games launching on PS5 or not right away is less of a concern because there's already some key PS4 titles that will carry over as immediate PS5 games with boosts..... like LoU2 and Ghosts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom