• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 may be another PS3 based on Sonys current behavior.

CobraAB

It does not seem like MS is going for the cheap.

I see a $399 system if the PS5 does not exceed 10TF.

Sony is not going to do $599 CATASTROPHE AGAIN.

Even then, the PS3 and 360 finished pretty much neck and neck though that was indeed more of a fail for Sony admittedly.

You know full well its unable to play any games so why bring it up.

You could just as easily install steam doesn't mean your booting up pc games.

Not sure why you quoted two unrelated posts here. Also if the PS4 can run a PS3 emulator than yes, that means it has the power to emulate a PS3. Durr???

You are so clueless... damn.

Fool that knows nothing about hardware and manufacturing business will now speak on something he knows nothing about.

You are so clueless... damn.

They were taking a huge hit on each PS3 sold initially, had they sold more units in the first couple of years their losses would actually have been greater.
Their initial software offerings weren't great, and their online back-end immature,limiting their ability to claw back the defecit from selling the hardware at a heavy loss.

There were also a large number of factors outside Sony's control that stood against them, especially in the early years. The rise of smartphone gaming and the resultant decline in volume sales in Japan, the component shortages that inflated the BOM on the PS3 and delayed its release allowing MS to get to market with the 360 a year to 16 months sooner, the unexpected success of Wii also hit them hard, etc. On top of all that global economic conditions were really bad for Japanese business throughout, particularly consumer electronics brands like Sony who were pressed hard by South Korean rivals in all product categories.

Then there was the tidal wave of bad publicity that followed Sony generally throughout that entire period, stuff entirely unrelated to Playstation like the "Rootkit" scandal, or the numerous hacks and cyber-attacks in later years. All things that were costly to fix and created negative publicity.

Lastly, and this points is very significant to the Playstation side of things. For a very long time in the PS360 gen, Japanese games were out of fashion in the west. Pretty much every large Japanese publisher was struggling both with the technological transition and creating product with broad commercial appeal, many floundering with "me too" designs that appealed to noone. These being the backbone of the PS2's success, it hit Sony the hardest.

The bottom line: Despite this turmoil and cavalcade of factors standing against it, the PS3 still managed to catch up with 360 by the end of the generation in terms of units shipped. Any gap being hard to quantify given the way that original 360 models were so poorly engineered that MS had to sink billions into an extended warranty program so as to avoid a general recall. This proves demand, and the Playstation brand remained strong.

And none of this disproves the fact that the PS3 lost money that bleed into other divisions that made the company have to restructure all their divisions and staff, including the gaming division.

Did you have a point in this wall of text?

All you basically did was ignore how much a disaster the PS3 was and then at the end of your wall of text say that "it caught up to the 360" congratulations, they were basically tied, at the expense of Sony's income and staff, and many of it's assets, and some of their divisions no longer existing, and being forced to restructure and lose multiple footholds they had before, and loss of investors.

Yeah, a number on a sheet of paper in doesn't really change the fact that the PS3 was a horrifying financial hurricane of destruction. With most other companies this would not be something one would argue against but only with Sony do we ignore how much the PS3 hurt the company.

(also japanese games being the backbone of the PS2's success? What? Did you skip 2002-2008 in gaming?)

The only reason I believe people constantly avoid Sony and ONLY Sony's massive financial failures outside the Vita, is because usually any mention of Sony's short comings is evaded and placed on Xbox or a person will change the subject to Xbox to distract from the issue. Nobody seems to want to look at the PS3 as it was, a big mistake that did not benefit Sony at all in the longterm.

Notice I never said anything about games, yet another user brought that up proving my point that the only reason why this is rarely discussed is because of fanboy nonsense. Xbox 360 Vs. PS3 has had the worst warriors of any system war and it still goes on today despite the fact we are about to be two consoles successors in the future.

What was "misunderstood" about the Xbox One reveal? It would have been the worst console of all time had they kept those policies,

No it wouldn't, it would still receive hit games and multiplats and likely still managed to outsell the Wii U. The Used game and Kinect check-in would hurt sales and earnings but the console would have picked up with hardcore fans, and internet casuals, especially as the years went on and online+Streaming became more popular. Of course I wouldn't have expected Microsoft to make another console if they did keep them.

Just in 2016 people were already starting to wonder if they overacted. Sony also had patents for a similar plan that they didn't go with, so this wasn't something only MS thought up.

I didn't support those policies but many people did and that's where a lot of gamers get hung up. The problem with Microsoft is they tried it too early and they tried it alone. If the Xbox One with original policies and a PS4 with similar policies were to release this year instead of the PS5 and Series X the reactions would be completely different.

Look at on disc dlc, loot crates, and microtransactions, the vast majority of gamers are idiots.

Jayjayhd34

Not sure why you quoted two unrelated posts here. Also if the PS4 can run a PS3 emulator than yes, that means it has the power to emulate a PS3. Durr???

Fool that knows nothing about hardware and manufacturing business will now speak on something he knows nothing about.

And none of this disproves the fact that the PS3 lost money that bleed into other divisions that made the company have to restructure all their divisions and staff, including the gaming division.

All you basically did was ignore how much a disaster the PS3 was and then at the end of your wall of text say that "it caught up to the 360" congratulations, they were basically tied, at the expense of Sony's income and staff, and many of it's assets, and some of their divisions no longer existing, and being forced to restructure and lose multiple footholds they had before, and loss of investors.

Yeah, a number on a sheet of paper in doesn't really change the fact that the PS3 was a horrifying financial hurricane of destruction. With most other companies this would not be something one would argue against but only with Sony do we ignore how much the PS3 hurt the company.

(also japanese games being the backbone of the PS2's success? What? Did you skip 2002-2008 in gaming?)

The only reason I believe people constantly avoid Sony and ONLY Sony's massive financial failures outside the Vita, is because usually any mention of Sony's short comings is evaded and placed on Xbox or a person will change the subject to Xbox to distract from the issue. Nobody seems to want to look at the PS3 as it was, a big mistake that did not benefit Sony at all in the longterm.

Notice I never said anything about games, yet another user brought that up proving my point that the only reason why this is rarely discussed is because of fanboy nonsense. Xbox 360 Vs. PS3 has had the worst warriors of any system war and it still goes on today despite the fact we are about to be two consoles successors in the future.

You are a full on retard.

A little atom pc can run the ps3 emulator doesn't mean it will actually able to emulate the games.

This user has been removed from the thread. Your constant honeypots and overzealouos personal attacks and insults seem to be a pattern for you. Are you trying to go for a record of having the most thread bans as an OP?
You are a full on retard.

A little atom pc can run the ps3 emulator doesn't mean it will actually able to emulate the games.

THE PS3 EMULATOR CAN RUN PS3 GAMES, WHICH MEANS IT CAN EMULATE GAMES.

If you really can't grasp something so simple, then you may have some medical issues that need urgent attention. Either that or you're just extremely stupid, which is likely your parents fault.

Do some research before opening your damn mouth.

(not all games will work, using a Pro will give you better results than a regular PS4)

Psykodad

Banned
That’s something that should be understood by all those absurd people that are so attached to plastic. People missed on great experiences just because of that rubbish mentality. I got extreme Xbox friends that would never touch anything Sony or Nintendo and I got the same with Nintendo and Sony

It’s really unfair to call yourself a “gamer” when you’re capable of owning different platforms to actually enjoy the different experiences each one has to offer but you decide not to. I don’t find anyone with that mentality actually enjoys the gaming world and that’s why I don’t interact with fanboys discussions because they aren’t the passionate gamers to me
This is flawed logic.

I could buy all three consoles, but won't ever do that because Nintendo and Microsoft offer nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile.

Are you saying people like me are less "gamer" and just fanboys?

(I know what some gaffers will say. 🤭)

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

THE PS3 EMULATOR CAN RUN PS3 GAMES, WHICH MEANS IT CAN EMULATE GAMES.

If you really can't grasp something so simple, then you may have some medical issues that need urgent attention. Either that or you're just extremely stupid, which is likely your parents fault.

Do some research before opening your damn mouth.

(not all games will work, using a Pro will give you better results than a regular PS4)

The only retard in this thread is you. Please show us video of the ps4 emulating ps3 games.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Gaf will not like this one bit.

I do think sony have become arrogant in some ways though.

This gen is almost the reverse of the last one. MS were hightailing it and Sony were smashing it with their PS+ offerings, this time MS started weak as fuck (put me off entirely) and have ended very strong (enticed me back) to the point where I will start next Gen with xbox and buy a PS5 in late 2021 or when a few exclusives have dropped as Sonys exclusives are fucking amazing.
How did Xbox end this generation stronger than PS 🤔
GoW, Spider-man, Death Stranding, Days Gone, TLOU Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Nioh 2

PS has the better lineup

Mista

Banned
This is flawed logic.

I could buy all three consoles, but won't ever do that because Nintendo and Microsoft offer nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile.

Are you saying people like me are less "gamer" and just fanboys?

(I know what some gaffers will say. 🤭)
Are you? We can argue about Microsoft any day but Nintendo offers nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile? Yeah this is 100% not true

Being a “gamer” isn’t just about playing the games, not for me at least. It’s a passion not just a hobby and it’s a beautiful one too

So missing out on great experiences others have to offer just because you’re attached to one console, that’s an indication to me that you don’t appreciate the medium. You can disagree as you like but at the endI’m speaking for myself not anybody else

So yeah, saying others offer nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile with all due respect to you is bollocks.

Xenon

Not going to happen. PS3 was a powerful yet difficult to program. The latter part it's no longer an issue since outs based on PC architecture. Also a huge cost was the Blu-ray Drive which at the time was new technology. That and making up cell development costs drove the price way up. Other than Sony being arrogant from having a lead there is really nothing even close between the two. Sony may not lose the lead and sales next gen but they definitely will not have as big of one.

The one thing that remains constant is Sony's going to have to catch up on features or in this case offerings. Game Pass is a huge deal and I see so many doing something to match it sooner rather than later.

The only retard in this thread is you. Please show us video of the ps4 emulating ps3 games.

Usually I don't like addressing people who argue without doing any research and are too lazy to use a basic search engine, but I guess you may as well be finished off since you're already limping.

Now next time please do basic research before opening your mouth, thanks.

Jayjayhd34

Usually I don't like addressing people who argue without doing any research and are too lazy to use a basic search engine, but I guess you may as well be finished off since you're already limping.

Now next time please do basic research before opening your mouth, thanks.

Oh my god are you seriously this dumb.

Again one video of a GAME BEING PLAYED not little software that anything can. Run. It takes it insane about power to run ps3 games on pc you seriously think little apu can run it your either retarded or troll.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think talk of Sony's "arrogance" leading into the PS3 doesn't tell the full story. The fact is, they had a vision for the system, they tried to execute that vision, it was just out of step with what customers wanted. The PS3 was really cutting edge tech, brand new CPU design, flash card readers, Linux support, Blu-Ray, etc. MS' vision was much more in line, which is why that system ended up being more successful, although not without its own problems.

MS' vision was in fact what Sony adopted and executed extremely well for this gen - relatively affordable hardware, easy to use SDK, strong first party lineup and network, etc. And it is what Sony seems to be doing again with PS5. If the PS5 is less successful, it will be because that strategy will cease to work, for whatever reason. My guess is that any failure in that strategy won't come from a lack of power but a lack of an effective counter to GamePass. We will see. If there is one thing Sony knows how to do, it is sell videogames and sell videogame consoles, let's see if that is still enough.

Psykodad

Banned
Are you? We can argue about Microsoft any day but Nintendo offers nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile? Yeah this is 100% not true

Being a “gamer” isn’t just about playing the games, not for me at least. It’s a passion not just a hobby and it’s a beautiful one too

So missing out on great experiences others have to offer just because you’re attached to one console, that’s an indication to me that you don’t appreciate the medium. You can disagree as you like but at the endI’m speaking for myself not anybody else

So yeah, saying others offer nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile with all due respect to you is bollocks.
For me, Nintendo offers nothing worthwhile.
There is nothing on any Nintendo system since the SNES that made/makes me go out and purchase a Nintendo console.
Same goes for Xbox.
PC is a different case, but even that doesn't offer me enough of what I want.

I don't even feel like I'm missing for not owning other platforms.

Are you saying my preferences are wrong, because you have different tastes in regards to games?
Is someone who only has interest in one platform a "lesser" gamer than someone who owns multiple platforms?

This goes for any platform btw. There millions of gamers who only play on one platform (PS/Xbox/Nintendo/PC).

I'm talking about the fact that they offer nothing that makes a purchase worthwhile. Even if I am talking about the opinion it's still bollocks

Why? It's highly subjective.

Last edited:

gifgaf

Again one video of a GAME BEING PLAYED not little software that anything can. Run. It takes it insane about power to run ps3 games on pc you seriously think little apu can run it your either retarded or troll.
As much as I detest agreeing with Freedom, after looking it up myself it does look possible. Here is a dude emulating some PS3 games in linux including Demon Souls. I found it hard to beleive but there it is.

@30.00 for Demon Souls

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

As much as I detest agreeing with Freedom, after looking it up myself it does look possible. Here is a dude emulating some PS3 games in linux including Demon Souls. I found it hard to beleive but there it is.

Like I've already said I no you can get the emulator running. However I doubt you can sit down an complete a game from start finish. PS that video is unavailable for me.

Psykodad

Banned
Definitely not. What's your taste like? Favourite genres?
I like all kinds of genres.
From FPS, to puzzle games, to wrpg/jrpg, to AAA titles, to indie, whatever peaks my interest.

I'm aware that there are outstanding games on all platforms (maybe less so on Xbox when it comes to exclusives, but still).
But owning all platforms doesn't make anyone more of a gamer in any way.
That's truly an ignorant statement.

Why would someone who is a massive fan of MS' first party and maybe only thinks GOW looks kinda cool, ever buy a Playstation?
Or why would a hardcore Nintendo-fan who doesn't like Xbox and Playstation gaming libraries ever buy both Xbox and Playstation?

Last edited:

gifgaf

Like I've already said I no you can get the emulator running. However I doubt you can sit down an complete a game from start finish. PS that video is unavailable for me.
Click through to Youtube to watch it. Of course the emulator is in early stages, even so the framerate is impressive for a PS4 and it shows that people without Sony's technical knowledge can run PS3 games on a PS4.

I do wonder what Sony could have done.

Last edited:

Ignoring what the video is about won't help you, you lost this one go home. The video clearly shows you how to run games and the site itself has a compatibility list, are all the guys in those forums lying? It's sometimes ok to admit that you were to lazy and stupid to do research.

If you want to keep digging your grave you can but you already lost man, give up.

Keep digging that grave. What's hilarious is that guy actually took 5 seconds to do research to find that video, why won't you?

Mista

Banned
I like all kinds of genres.
From FPS, to puzzle games, to wrpg/jrpg, to AAA titles, to indie, whatever peaks my interest.

I'm aware that there are outstanding games on all platforms (maybe less so on Xbox when it comes to exclusives, but still).
But owning all platforms doesn't make anyone more of a gamer in any way.
That's truly an ignorant statement.

Why would someone who is a massive fan of MS' first party and maybe only thinks GOW looks kinda cool, ever buy a Playstation?
Or why would a hardcore Nintendo-fan who doesn't like Xbox and Playstation gaming libraries ever buy both Xbox and Playstation?
I have a PS and Switch just for the exclusives because they’re worth to me. And I made a great decision because God of War is my 2018 and Death Stranding is my 2019 GOTY and the previous years gave me lots of amazing experiences.

Psykodad

Banned
I have a PS and Switch just for the exclusives because they’re worth to me. And I made a great decision because God of War is my 2018 and Death Stranding is my 2019 GOTY and the previous years gave me lots of amazing experiences.
Okay, and how does that make you more of a gamer than someone who buys only one system?

That was my point. I don't see how someone who owns multiple platforms is somehow superior.
That way of thinking is like gaming's equivalent of SJWing.

Are you really gonna claim that not liking Nintendo games makes someone less gamer?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Okay, and how does that make you more of a gamer than someone who buys only one system?

That was my point. I don't see how someone who owns multiple platforms is somehow superior.
That way of thinking is like gaming's equivalent of SJWing.

Are you really gonna claim that not liking Nintendo games makes someone less gamer?
Refusing to buy other platforms especially when you like plenty of genres are one of the following two

You're either not capable of owning multiple platforms or a fanboy

Psykodad

Banned
Refusing to buy other platforms especially when you like plenty of genres are one of the following two

You're either not capable of owning multiple platforms or a fanboy
What if one system is enough to fill ones needs?

Simple example:

The only game on Xbox that I'd like to play is Ori.
Everything else on Xbox that interests me, I can buy on Playstation too.

How does it make any sense for me to by a One S at ~€180 just for Ori?
It's not even about the money, €180 isn't that much at all. But for just one game, it's a waste of money.

Btw, who said anything about refusing to buy a system?
Why force yourself to buy a system when it's exclusives don't interest you?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I wonder where OP is getting their info? Because that's not the vibe at all, SONY's AAA games are already really good, and PSN is more developed I'm not sure SONY has a single threat and I expect deeper and more immersive exclusives. PS5 will be biblical.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The point you dimwit is that the performance of a conglomerate like Sony is tied to more than one business unit, especially not when the unit in question is one of the better performing segments with a far stronger outlook for future growth and profit opportunity than almost any other.

Hence Sony's reorganization placing Playstation as their crown jewel, their most important product-line and brand.

Were the PS3 such an unmitigated disaster, they wouldn't have doubled down on the Playstation business, Kaz Hirai would not have been promoted to be CEO and oversee a restructuring process that has completely turned around the fortunes of a very troubled corporation.

Your argument has no substance, its just fanboy fuckery and I'm done with entertaining your nonsense.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Usually winners alternate. Ps2 won, then 360 imo vut snow ps4 annihilated one like if ir was a bad joke... Not sure if xbox can get the upperhand like back in 360 era. Gears, halo3, dead rising, lost planet, mass effect and much more... The reason 360 was great is because it started really strong within first 2 years

fallingdove

Ignoring what the video is about won't help you, you lost this one go home. The video clearly shows you how to run games and the site itself has a compatibility list, are all the guys in those forums lying? It's sometimes ok to admit that you were to lazy and stupid to do research.

If you want to keep digging your grave you can but you already lost man, give up.

Keep digging that grave. What's hilarious is that guy actually took 5 seconds to do research to find that video, why won't you?

The rpcs3.net compatibility list the video references is for general pc/Linux emulation. Upon closer inspection -it looks like there are only a couple of games that can be played on PS4 without major issues and a handful of games in total that even boot. Far from the rosy picture that you paint.

On topic:

Down with Bluray! Down with Sony! Down with Bluray! Down with Sony!

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Usually winners alternate. Ps2 won, then 360 imo vut snow ps4 annihilated one like if ir was a bad joke... Not sure if xbox can get the upperhand like back in 360 era. Gears, halo3, dead rising, lost planet, mass effect and much more... The reason 360 was great is because it started really strong within first 2 years

Actually, PS1 won, PS2 won, Wii won (PS3 second, 360 last), PS4 won.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Actually, PS1 won, PS2 won, Wii won (PS3 second, 360 last), PS4 won.
ps3 only gained numbers in last years. But for most of the generation 360 had better games and better numbers. Don't anyone remember how much of a flop ps3 was for like 2 years ? Felt like everyone had a 360 back then. Later on it got even.
Wii numbers don't matter.. and ps1 won because there was no xbox yet lol. Then during ps2, xbox was new and not as reputable.

Last edited:

gifgaf

ps3 only gained numbers in last years. But for most of the generation 360 had better games and better numbers. Don't anyone remember how much of a flop ps3 was for like 2 years ? Felt like everyone had a 360 back then. Later on it got even.
Wii numbers don't matter.. and ps1 won because there was no xbox yet lol. Then during ps2, xbox was new and not as reputable.
You act like it was Microsoft vs Sony for all time. PS1 beat Nintendo and Sega who were the powerhouses of the console world back then. PS2 beat Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft. Sony didn't just win because there was no competition, quite the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
You act like it was Microsoft vs Sony for all time. PS1 beat Nintendo and Sega who were the powerhouses of the console world back then. PS2 beat Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft. Sony didn't just win because there was no competition, quite the opposite in fact.
I also know history

rofif

Banned
Yet you conveniently ignore it. go figure.
All I've said is that 360 won because it was winning for most of the generation and imo had better games. Of course playstation was better before and after it. For christ sake I have ps4 on my shelf. Is that some secret I am not suppose to know?!
Get off me

Definitely not. What's your taste like? Favourite genres?
Just wanted to point out: It's entirely possible to not like a specific offering in a genre. I personally love JRPGs, but I can't stand Xenoblade 2, and while I usually like the Mario titles, the last two core entries have left me feeling rather... blah.

So even if a system has games in a genre someone likes, that doesn't invalidate their determination that the system has nothing for them that they can't get somewhere else.

...bro what?

The PS1 had to take on Nintendo and Sega AND a lot of other new entrants into the console space and still won easily.
The PS2 still had to take on Nintendo, a weakened Sega, and a Microsoft who only entered the console space to spite Sony. Literally.
The PS3 still wound up outselling the 360. Your preference doesn't negate facts, man.

DavJay

Competition is good.

Ps2>Xbox
Xbox360>PS3
PS4>Xbox One
XOX>PS4Pro

We will see but it’s been a good back and forth battle and we as consumers all win.

rofif

Banned

IMO 360 was still a leading console of that generation thanks to better multiplats and exclusives

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

The question here is what really defines who wins a console war. Everyone just seems to make there own rules depending on what platform they prefer.

IMO 360 was still a leading console of that generation thanks to better multiplats and exclusives

Your opinion really isn't relevant to what was a leading console or not, man. It HAD a lead that it then lost, but that's including a head start and a massive failure rate & replacements adding to that number.

The fact is even in the Xbox's best gen, with a year head start, it came in third that gen. Closely-contested or not.

You're allowed your own preference and opinion, but the facts are the facts.

gifgaf

I agree with you that 360 was ahead for most of that generation. Better multiplayer games was a big draw, most competitive people I knew had a 360 over a PS3, I favoured the 360 for at least half that gen.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Your opinion really isn't relevant to what was a leading console or not, man. It HAD a lead that it then lost, but that's including a head start and a massive failure rate & replacements adding to that number.

The fact is even in the Xbox's best gen, with a year head start, it came in third that gen. Closely-contested or not.

You're allowed your own preference and opinion, but the facts are the facts.
It was flawed sure... I just have a soft spot for 360. The games were so good. I've not felt anything like that this gen but the games are great on ps4. But I think we had a lot more good single player games on both 360 and ps3 back then.

Vawn

Banned

Xbox 360 also had a year head start. And I disagree on "better games". I found PS3's exclusives much more interesting - Uncharted 1, 2 and 3, Last of Us, inFamous 1 and 2, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 1, 2 and 3, 3D Dot Game Heroes, etc. Plus all the other third-party Japanese games.

PS1 won because there was no Xbox? There was Nintendo, which was synonymous with "video games" before PlayStation.

And PS2 beating Xbox (24 million to 155 million, by the way), was because Xbox was new? But that logic doesn't work for PS1 (which sold over 100 million units and is third best selling console ever after PS2 and PS4)?

So, in summary, PS1's 100 million units means nothing as there was no Xbox. PS2's 155 million means nothing because Xbox was new. PS3 outselling Xbox 360 means nothing g because you thought it "felt" like Xbox 360 was more popular.

Any thoughts on why PS4 is a disaster?

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Holy shit! The mental gymnastics in this thread are amazing! It really takes all of this shit to bash Sony? The haters really couldn't come with something better?

Top Bottom