• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 may be another PS3 based on Sonys current behavior.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We will all be dead from Blu-ray exposure anyhow.

GNmHvWr.gif

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Sony: "Next gen starts at the end of this year, but fuck it, let's launch TLoU2, Ghost of Tushima and FF7 remake this year, for all of the PS4 owners"

Microsoft "We have no exclusives to offer right now, but check back later for more promises of games coming soon, we promise"

See OP, anyone can shit post.

Honestly, I would love if sony would postpone those, polish them more, give it time and make them PS5 enhanced- This would be much better. I dont want to play on PS4 anymore. In 2020 it was released 7 YEARS ago!

Fbh

What does that have to do with a future system that hasn't released yet? People said the same thing with the PS2.

It's how the company is run that is important, not the output, because the former affects the latter.

Because the popularity and current standing of a particular product (not just consoles) is important to the consumers and has a big effect on the perceived value of the followup product.

If you have a Ps4, a lot of your friends have Ps4's, you own a lot of Ps4 games (which will be compatible with Ps5), you've enjoyed your Ps4 this gen, you are looking forward to or just played a cool game that's only available on Ps4 .... it's going to have an effect on how you view the Ps5, way more so than the fact that Sony introduced paid multiplayer back in 2013 or that they closed down some studios (while acquiring others).

Also yeah the Ps3 struggled at first...and yet it managed to recover, ended up selling fairly well and actually outsold the 360 by the end of the gen. They recovered from a blunder that would have destroyed other brands in part because of right decisions moving forward, but also because it wasn't just any system, it was still a Playstation and over the past 2 gens they managed to give the brand a level of importance that couldn't be instantly destroyed by a bad launch.

DESTROYA

The PS4 started out strong against a poorly thought-out, but also misunderstood Xbox One reveal. Specifically the policies were a major concern and Sony took advantage of the platter Microsoft handed them. But then E3 came and we saw the first glimpse of what I like to call 'Sunray Sony" why do I call them that? The rays of the Sun can be beautiful but if they increase in intensity it can become blinding or cause health issues of the skin, fooling you to your death.

That's what the PS4 has been going through since E3, where Sony quickly introduced paid online as quickly as possible and tried to bury it, but the crowd was not fooled and the cheers they were giving before turned into stumbled silence.

We saw Sony deny cross-play and only open up to a few select titles, lack of effort into Backwards Compatibility so they can charge you high prices for PSNOW, raising the prices of PSN+ in several countries, censorship, egotistical interviews with developers, closing down of studios that don't meet their new inflated criteria, acting like it's a privilege for you to buy their console.

To top it all off we have confirmed rumors that report on the speculation that the PS5 will be releasing with weak specifications and assuming you will buy it because they think you don't have a choice. They are so far up their ass that they believe that you will buy the weaker console just because you should be honored to even have a console to buy in the first place.

This leads me to believe that Sunray Sony, or arrogant Sony for the masses, has returned and will need another slap in the face to get in line.
How do you know it’s a weaker console? ”rumors” on Twitter?....lol
If anything your post are always good for a laugh.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I'd assume the man who ran PlayStation Europe would know more about the redundancy in that region than we're privy to here in the GP. Plus it's not as if those people were just tossed out into the cold, they were offered interviews with other sections of PS Europe.

As for Shawn's departure... the man is almost 60, I'm sure he'd like to do something else before retirement. And if his frequent tweets are anything to go by, there doesn't exactly seem to be bad blood there.

According to rumors and articles that came at the time, it's all tied together, there was power struggle between PS North America and Europe, we saw a bit of that in the past with Paris Games Week (the event handled by Sony Europe) snatching potential PSX game reveals (the last one in particular was very disappointing) even for US developed first party titles like Ghost of Tsushima.

It's possible Layden was the one who wanted to keep the european division relevant, with these two big changes and Jim Ryan being the new president, it does seem like now it's all handled in US so perhaps no more Paris Games Week and we'll see what else. If that means Sony taking for granted that they will dominate in Europe no matter what, that would be a huge mistake, i hope it's not the case.

Also yes i did expect Shawn Layden to retire or leave eventually, the way they did it, all of a sudden and without a tweet from Shawn himself, it felt like the kind of announcement when you're fired but the company doesn't want to say that out loud.

Compare that with Reggie's retirement for instance which was planned well in advance, we knew who was going to be his successor, they made a video about it, etc, or even Kimishima's retirement, they said Furukawa was instructed for that job for the past 2-3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ten_Fold

If they price the ps5 higher than both xbox models and assumes people will buy then yes I can see the repeat but I dont think so. What I think will happen is both systems will be amazing and it will come down to service.

Vawn

Banned
What? If Don said it like Phil did there wouldn't be a viral video. There's nothing to toss at Phil, Don got shit on because of his attitude and how he articulated the statement.

So you don't care what BS you are fed just as long as it's worded well enough?

According to rumors and articles that came at the time, it's all tied together, there was power struggle between PS North America and Europe, we saw a bit of that in the past with Paris Games Week (the event handled by Sony Europe) snatching potential PSX game reveals (the last one in particular was very disappointing) even for US developed first party titles like Ghost of Tsushima.

It's possible Layden was the one who wanted to keep the european division relevant, with these two big changes and Jim Ryan being the new president, it does seem like now it's all handled in US so perhaps no more Paris Games Week and we'll see what else. If that means Sony taking for granted that they will dominate in Europe no matter what, that would be a huge mistake, i hope it's not the case.
Yes, I'm sure Jim Ryan, the guy who ran SIE Europe, WANTED that division to become "irrelevant". I'm SURE that's true and not conspiratorial BS.

Also yes i did expect Shawn Layden to retire or leave eventually, the way they did it, all of a sudden and without a tweet from Shawn himself, it felt like the kind of announcement when you're fired but the company doesn't want to say that out loud.

Compare that with Reggie's retirement for instance which was planned well in advance, we knew who was going to be his successor, they made a video about it, etc, or even Kimishima's retirement, they said Furukawa was instructed for that job for the past 2-3 years.

And? The man retired, the man has no bad blood with the company, not sure what the problem is. People need to stop looking for reasons to be upset.

What amuses ME is how Mike Ybarra's been rather vocal about how things at MS have not changed as much as people think they have before essentially backtracking, yet people are still obsessing over the Layden departure.

petran79

Banned
Demographics will likely be different too. Playstation players interested in non-AAA Japanese, smaller or indie games moved to computers and Switch. Sony demonstrated they don't care for that audience as much. But neither did Microsoft. Their PC focus looks more as a secondary alternative to xbox.

It will be a battle with Microsoft for the AAA dominance. Unless they (Xbox) can secure a big exclusive deal pouring hundreds of millions (eg 6 months GTA6) I don't see any difference with current gen. Count also Google Stadia. Google can waste more than Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo combined if they want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I'm sure Jim Ryan, the guy who ran SIE Europe, WANTED that division to become "irrelevant". I'm SURE that's true and not conspiratorial BS.

And? The man retired, the man has no bad blood with the company, not sure what the problem is. People need to stop looking for reasons to be upset.

What amuses ME is how Mike Ybarra's been rather vocal about how things at MS have not changed as much as people think they have before essentially backtracking, yet people are still obsessing over the Layden departure.

I'm not saying it's just this, in fairness it has been the past 2-3 years of Sony getting a little bit more arrogant or more accustomed with their position as leader: from the initial reluctance to cross-play to the lack of indie support they used to provide in their early PS4 years,... Time will tell if some of the recent changes will bring positive or negative response.

I don't like Jim Ryan for some of his previous statements, and the way Layden left the company WAS weird no matter how you want to see it, that's not how a president/CEO/whatever leaves, maybe it's nothing, i'm not here to condemn anyone.

The Microsoft part is irrelevant this case, but yes i do share Ybarra's concerns, there is a problem there too, and saying "it's all good now" doesn't fix anything.

Also yeah the Ps3 struggled at first...and yet it managed to recover, ended up selling fairly well and actually outsold the 360 by the end of the gen.

You don't have the data to make this claim.

Also your post is pointless, it's how the company manages the perception and their behavior toward the consumer that determines the next products success, otherwise the PS3 would have never happened as it did using your reasoning.

How do you know it’s a weaker console? ”rumors” on Twitter?....lol
If anything your post are always good for a laugh.

I didn't say that, I said we have multiple sources confirming the speculations based on the rumor, but we do not have an accurate understanding if the confirmed speculation is true as we don't have confirmation of the PS4's actual specifications, yet.

So you don't care what BS you are fed just as long as it's worded well enough?

You don't need to be a fanboy all the time, the reason why the Don video went viral was how he conducted himself in the interview, not the content. Same with Major Nelson and his off-switch comments. No one else at Microsoft had viral videos.

Demographics will likely be different too. Playstation players interested in non-AAA Japanese, smaller or indie games moved to computers and Switch. Sony demonstrated they don't care for that audience as much. But neither did Microsoft. Their PC focus looks more as a secondary alternative to xbox.

It will be a battle with Microsoft for the AAA dominance. Unless they (Xbox) can secure a big exclusive deal pouring hundreds of millions (eg 6 months GTA6) I don't see any difference with current gen. Count also Google Stadia. Google can waste more than Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo combined if they want.

Microsoft just needs to choose better studios, they actually had tons of first party stuff this generation just most of them either were ok and didn't move the needle they were overhyped to, or in most cases, they didn't really do well despite many of them being decent to great games. The best FP games they released were in house stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They seemed to realize that and are correcting it just in time for next gen.

I'm not saying it's just this, in fairness it has been the past 2-3 years of Sony getting a little bit more arrogant or more accustomed with their position as leader: from the initial reluctance to cross-play to the lack of indie support they used to provide in their early PS4 years,... Time will tell if some of the recent changes will bring positive or negative response.

I don't like Jim Ryan for some of his previous statements, and the way Layden left the company WAS weird no matter how you want to see it, that's not how a president/CEO/whatever leaves, maybe it's nothing, i'm not here to condemn anyone.

The Microsoft part is irrelevant this case, but yes i do share Ybarra's concerns, there is a problem there too, and saying "it's all good now" doesn't fix anything.
1. They've not been "arrogant". They've been a market leader. They're in the position to not have to "react" at this point and can be more calculating in what they do or don't do. Nothing they've said or done has been "arrogant".

2. I don't much care about how you feel about Ryan's past comments. I didn't agree with them all either. But I also didn't agree with all of Layden's or Tretton's, or House's, Kutaragi's, Kaz's, etc. That doesn't mean that we get to assign them any negative motive or connotation to their actions that we see fit. And again, the lack of any apparent bad blood on Layden's part suggests this was a willing departure. Maybe it was for private reasons, health issues, who knows? But acting like it's a negative by default is silliness, period.

3. The Microsoft part is quite relevant though; there we actually HAVE red flags, there we actually HAVE genuinely native connotations and signs. Yet for some reason, all anyone talks about, to this day, is Layden and how they clearly MUST have fired him and left him out in the cold because he opposed whatever we decided we don't like at Sony today. It's ridiculous how standards are applied in the gaming space sometimes.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

So concentrating on AAA first-party games in conferences over indies is arrogant now? It's not like they aren't still getting all the indies on their platforms.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's too early to really tell but I have a feeling Sony will be doing the bare minimum and therefore will caught off guard.

If the leaked specs are true then PS5 will be this generations Xbox One. Next gen games will no doubt run at an acceptable standard but Xbox will be just ahead.

First Sony announced backwards compatibility then doesn't fully commit to it. They'll do the absolute minimum to get games running where as i think Microsoft will put some time into not only getting games running but improve performance.

Xbox could have 2 consoles out this year whereas it looks like we'll get just a PS5. Sure the PS5 could have a good balance between performance and cost but if Microsoft offer a cheaper option and a better performing option then that's not good for Sony.

Microsoft can afford to make a loss because they have better subscription uptake. Game pass is really good and they have a XBL/game pass bundled subscription. Sony has ps+ and ps now but PS Now is just not as good. You want both you need to maintain two separate subscriptions.

I'm not hating on Sony. I have a PS4 and have always used PlayStation. I just don't feel optimistic about PS5 right now. Anyway, I kinda want Microsoft to "win" because it'll keep Sony on their toes.

bosnianpie

We don't really have that many facts to work with to make such assumptions. What matters are the results so far: three out of their last four consoles have been major success stories. I wouldn't call PS3 a failure either. Sony seem determined to continue on the path laid out with the PS4 and I don't see why they would suddenly drop the ball now? The competition sure is tougher this time around, but that can bring some positive consumer friendly thinking aswell.

It's too early to really tell but I have a feeling Sony will be doing the bare minimum and therefore will caught off guard.

If the leaked specs are true then PS5 will be this generations Xbox One. Next gen games will no doubt run at an acceptable standard but Xbox will be just ahead.

First Sony announced backwards compatibility then doesn't fully commit to it. They'll do the absolute minimum to get games running where as i think Microsoft will put some time into not only getting games running but improve performance.

Xbox could have 2 consoles out this year whereas it looks like we'll get just a PS5. Sure the PS5 could have a good balance between performance and cost but if Microsoft offer a cheaper option and a better performing option then that's not good for Sony.

Microsoft can afford to make a loss because they have better subscription uptake. Game pass is really good and they have a XBL/game pass bundled subscription. Sony has ps+ and ps now but PS Now is just not as good. You want both you need to maintain two separate subscriptions.

I'm not hating on Sony. I have a PS4 and have always used PlayStation. I just don't feel optimistic about PS5 right now. Anyway, I kinda want Microsoft to "win" because it'll keep Sony on their toes.
It would take a hell of a lot more than lower specs to make the PS5 "this gen's Xbox One". That's plain silly.

Honestly, I would love if sony would postpone those, polish them more, give it time and make them PS5 enhanced- This would be much better. I dont want to play on PS4 anymore. In 2020 it was released 7 YEARS ago!

Sony will remaster them like they did TloU on PS3. we got the remaster and the uncharted collection. It's smart business tbh, they show that they are willing to support their current gen console, up to and including after launch (they always do) and they get to sell a game twice, while enticing PS4 owners in to upgrading

Win win

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
So concentrating on AAA first-party games in conferences over indies is arrogant now? It's not like they aren't still getting all the indies on their platforms.

Yeah they started to snub a bit also.

You noticed it not just indies but also with A/AA studios at their conferences. The playstation E3/PSX events used to be the big showcase of the best games from third parties also, year by year it became more and more a showcase reserved only for Playstation exclusive games, so all those third parties went with Xbox to debut their titles, and last year Sony didn't even have a conference.

Obviously they continue to get indies because the installed base of PS4 is huge, indie developers fight to survive so if they can access to all platforms, or snatch some exclusivity deal to get some money, they will do it.

But for instance Takashi Mochizuki wrote an article on how Sony used to be the biggest sponsor of the indie section at TGS, and if you remember the early days of PS4, they wanted to have as many indies as possible to build a big catalogue as fast as possible (and to hide the lack of the big first party games that were still in development).

Now according to his sources, Sony has openly left out small developers from the whole PS5 conversation at least for now because their focus has shifted to big productions.

Jtibh

Banned
ONE MILLION TROOPS......sorry one 100 million troops...EXTREEEEEEME muhahaha.

Come on man the numbers dont lie

Last edited:
PS3 Sony was full of risk taking and lots of quality new IP's. I'd love for Sony to go back to that as opposed to the very safe Sony we saw this gen.

Sophist

PS5 will definitively be weaker than the xbox out-of-the-box but once connected to the cloud, it will have around 60 tflops.

Jayjayhd34

You don't have the data to make this claim.

Also your post is pointless, it's how the company manages the perception and their behavior toward the consumer that determines the next products success, otherwise the PS3 would have never happened as it did using your reasoning.

I didn't say that, I said we have multiple sources confirming the speculations based on the rumor, but we do not have an accurate understanding if the confirmed speculation is true as we don't have confirmation of the PS4's actual specifications, yet.

You don't need to be a fanboy all the time, the reason why the Don video went viral was how he conducted himself in the interview, not the content. Same with Major Nelson and his off-switch comments. No one else at Microsoft had viral videos.

Microsoft just needs to choose better studios, they actually had tons of first party stuff this generation just most of them either were ok and didn't move the needle they were overhyped to, or in most cases, they didn't really do well despite many of them being decent to great games. The best FP games they released were in house stuff.

The ps3 is the 7th highest selling console the xbox 360 being the 8th. That's according guniess book of records.

The funny thing is your trying to make out ps3 was distater when in reality it produced some amazing games and in the end sold well.

Portugeezer

Sony can no longer have a successful console without being called arrogant. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maybe people forget there is still about a year left until PS5 launch, I'll wait and see...

Bkdk

I agree, Sony have become too arrogant again, to me this time the problem lies in their game design philosophy of first party studios. With flight, AOE4, wasteland 3, obsidian open ended RPGs, plus their usual halo, gears, forza, MS is offering a very diverse line up and a lot of games that I really want to play. They are giving players the PC option which further benefits their game with extra power and mod support. Also, Game pass is offering a lot of value for gamers.
As for Sony, all they do is to make more and more linear emotional campaign games, it’s getting super boring and their cutscene heavy approach makes me wanna stay far away from buying their games and only wanna watch them on YouTube. If they are falling behind on the graphical power front like the rumors say, it’s going to be a disaster as this mean everything for them with the way the make their biggest exclusives.

Last edited:

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
PS5 is going to be a powerfullconsole with a lot of 3rd party games and Sony's 1st party games, which are the best in my opinion. Plus Sony is making a lot of money from +, dlc, mtx, etc. So no, it wont be another ps3 . It will be another ps4.

NickFire

It makes perfect sense, IMO, to speculate on the potential market share impact of the rumors floating around. But leaping across 35 canyons to the conclusion that Sony is acting nefarious, arrogant, etc., (if the rumors are true) is silly. Trying to balance price and power may prove to be an Achilles heel for the first time ever, but there is a perfectly rational business reason for it.

The ps3 is the 7th highest selling console the xbox 360 being the 8th. That's according guniess book of records.

The funny thing is your trying to make out ps3 was distater when in reality it produced some amazing games and in the end sold well.

No one knows the final 360 numbers other than Microsoft.

Also the PS3 being a disaster is not an opinion, but I also never brought it up, you did. Why are you acting like I said anything about the PS3 being a disaster jsut because I mentioned the fact we don't have final 360 numbers?

We'll probably get that at the Series X unveil.

Moses85

Sony: "Next gen starts at the end of this year, but fuck it, let's launch TLoU2, Ghost of Tushima and FF7 remake this year, for all of the PS4 owners"

Microsoft "We have no exclusives to offer right now, but check back later for more promises of games coming soon, we promise"

See OP, anyone can shit post.

WORD!
And now, close this Thread.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my honest opinion I hope PS5 is more like PS3 because that way we might some first party Japanese games instead focus on solely on their first party western games.

JimboJones

Sony would have to Royally cock up for this to happen.
Worst case scenario if MS actually pulls a blinder of a launch and don't manage to fuck it up and have some kick ass exclusives they Sony lose market share but nothing like PS3 or Xbox one this gen.

But that's just my thoughts 😎🙃

Jayjayhd34

No one knows the final 360 numbers other than Microsoft.

Also the PS3 being a disaster is not an opinion, but I also never brought it up, you did. Why are you acting like I said anything about the PS3 being a disaster jsut because I mentioned the fact we don't have final 360 numbers?

We'll probably get that at the Series X unveil.

So your saying the guineses world records is lying and MS just let them release information that is fales and let them profit of fales information.

think it's very safe to assume ps3 outsold the 360.

Of cause its an opinion being 7th highest selling console is not a distater creating some of biggest IPs of last decade is not a distater the dream cast is distater the gamecube is a distater.

The ps3 survived even though it was expensive released a year to late and was lacking in the online features like speed and customer service.

but still even after all that gamers chose PlayStation because the PlayStation is where games are at. The ps5 will be no diffrent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom