• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 may be another PS3 based on Sonys current behavior.

The PS4 started out strong against a poorly thought-out, but also misunderstood Xbox One reveal. Specifically the policies were a major concern and Sony took advantage of the platter Microsoft handed them. But then E3 came and we saw the first glimpse of what I like to call 'Sunray Sony" why do I call them that? The rays of the Sun can be beautiful but if they increase in intensity it can become blinding or cause health issues of the skin, fooling you to your death.

That's what the PS4 has been going through since E3, where Sony quickly introduced paid online as quickly as possible and tried to bury it, but the crowd was not fooled and the cheers they were giving before turned into stumbled silence.

We saw Sony deny cross-play and only open up to a few select titles, lack of effort into Backwards Compatibility so they can charge you high prices for PSNOW, raising the prices of PSN+ in several countries, censorship, egotistical interviews with developers, closing down of studios that don't meet their new inflated criteria, acting like it's a privilege for you to buy their console.

To top it all off we have confirmed rumors that report on the speculation that the PS5 will be releasing with weak specifications and assuming you will buy it because they think you don't have a choice. They are so far up their ass that they believe that you will buy the weaker console just because you should be honored to even have a console to buy in the first place.

This leads me to believe that Sunray Sony, or arrogant Sony for the masses, has returned and will need another slap in the face to get in line.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yeah... no.

In the hardware, consoles are basically the same now, so no problems there. The problem could be with software and services like you said, charging for playing a PS4 or even PS3 is backwards games is nuts, but since they're in the "throne" right now, I can see they at least thinking. But it will have a backlash harder than "Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video", as Microsoft does this for free

"

Freeman76

Gaf will not like this one bit.

I do think sony have become arrogant in some ways though.

This gen is almost the reverse of the last one. MS were hightailing it and Sony were smashing it with their PS+ offerings, this time MS started weak as fuck (put me off entirely) and have ended very strong (enticed me back) to the point where I will start next Gen with xbox and buy a PS5 in late 2021 or when a few exclusives have dropped as Sonys exclusives are fucking amazing.

Last edited:
I love me some Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. threads

mandatory :
wWnWCj7.gif

Credit to theHFIC theHFIC

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hmmm.. it always bugs me when Sony gets called out for being arrogant. The proof is in their games.

I don't get the hate. Maybe we played two different consoles this gen? I always wonder how some users utilize their PS console when they come in with so much hate. The worst thing I ran into this gen was not having enough space to hold games.

Ar¢tos

The PS4 started out strong against a poorly thought-out, but also misunderstood Xbox One reveal. Specifically the policies were a major concern and Sony took advantage of the platter Microsoft handed them. But then E3 came and we saw the first glimpse of what I like to call 'Sunray Sony" why do I call them that? The rays of the Sun can be beautiful but if they increase in intensity it can become blinding or cause health issues of the skin, fooling you to your death.

That's what the PS4 has been going through since E3, where Sony quickly introduced paid online as quickly as possible and tried to bury it, but the crowd was not fooled and the cheers they were giving before turned into stumbled silence.

We saw Sony deny cross-play and only open up to a few select titles, lack of effort into Backwards Compatibility so they can charge you high prices for PSNOW, raising the prices of PSN+ in several countries, censorship, egotistical interviews with developers, closing down of studios that don't meet their new inflated criteria, acting like it's a privilege for you to buy their console.

To top it all off we have confirmed rumors that report on the speculation that the PS5 will be releasing with weak specifications and assuming you will buy it because they think you don't have a choice. They are so far up their ass that they believe that you will buy the weaker console just because you should be honored to even have a console to buy in the first place.

This leads me to believe that Sunray Sony, or arrogant Sony for the masses, has returned and will need another slap in the face to get in line.
mDwdKBh.jpg

“They are so far up their ass that they believe that you will buy the weaker console just because you should be honored to even have a console to buy in the first place.“

How did you come with this conclusion. So in some way... you might say Micro was further up their ass, and thought you should pay a 100$ premium for a weaker console. And get yourself some internet you poor person.

“They are so far up their ass that they believe that you will buy the weaker console just because you should be honored to even have a console to buy in the first place.“

How did you come with this conclusion. So in some way... you might say Micro was further up their ass, and thought you should pay a 100$ premium for a weaker console. And get yourself some internet you poor person.
Yeah, I do kinda think people are quick to forget this.

Or that Phil Spencer said the same thing, yet no one constantly tosses it back in his face.
STe3lMm.png

Things change, people change, company policies change. It's not as if that policy will be eternally waiting in the wings to swoop in the second they feel confident again.

Sony: "Next gen starts at the end of this year, but fuck it, let's launch TLoU2, Ghost of Tushima and FF7 remake this year, for all of the PS4 owners"

Microsoft "We have no exclusives to offer right now, but check back later for more promises of games coming soon, we promise"

See OP, anyone can shit post.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Tbh i'm okay with arrogant sony if this mean a beast console at 600 dollars similar to what microsoft is doing...

You didn't include the most alarming part: Sony has as of yet completely ignored the cancer-causing risks of Blu Ray discs.

We already had a consensus on here based on this link that it is indeed harmful and no one was able to dispute the source and even the mods had no choice but to acknowledge. Also, the Xbox has the same issue so this is not a Sony specific problem.

However that's a different thread. Please be sure to stay on topic in the future.

Fbh

I like how most of these threads just ignore that Sony is doing really well, have the best selling system this gen by a wide margin and that 3 of the most anticipated AAA releases of 2020 are Ps4 exclusives (one of them timed).

When John Doe goes to pick up his next gen system he isn't gonna go "well I really enjoyed my Ps4, have lots of games for it which are compatible with Ps5, really enjoyed TLOU2 and FF7 Remake this year...... but Sony was a bit shitty about crossplay 2 years ago and introduced paid online in 2013!!!! So I'll get an Xbox!!!".

I DO think they'll have a harder time because MS basically handed them this gen on a silver platter. And I do think what both MS and Sony end up offering next gen (price, specs, features) is obviously going to have an impact. But so far outside of silly rumours and speculation I've seen no reason to think Sony is doomed and despite them not showing up at E3 I'm more excited about what my Ps4 has to offer this 2020 than what MS has to offer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Yes and no.

They learnt some lesson from it, they will price PS5 competitively, at the same time it is true that arrogant Sony is back, and i can't say i agree with some of their most recent executive decisions (destroying half of their european division, Shawn's sudden departure,....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no.

They learnt some lesson from it, they will price PS5 competitively, at the same time it is true that arrogant Sony is back, and i can't say i agree with some of their most recent executive decisions (destroying half of their european division, Shawn's sudden departure,....)
I'd assume the man who ran PlayStation Europe would know more about the redundancy in that region than we're privy to here in the GP. Plus it's not as if those people were just tossed out into the cold, they were offered interviews with other sections of PS Europe.

As for Shawn's departure... the man is almost 60, I'm sure he'd like to do something else before retirement. And if his frequent tweets are anything to go by, there doesn't exactly seem to be bad blood there.

ANIMAL1975

I came to the thread thinking ps5 is going to be another 800$ machine priced at 600$ with some crazy tech in it a la Kutaragi like ps3.... and leaving desapointed.

Top Bottom