• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 Is Starting to Look Like the Revolution It Promised

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It does look insane.

I really hope Sony has something up their sleave for a game with a bigger world simulation though.. I wanna see them flex that data muscle for more than just purdy stuff.. give me big battles w/ cool AI, fully simulated open worlds with roaming bandits, that sort of thing.

ethomaz

Banned
I've had both since release and neither have been revolutionary, but I have been impressed by the increased frame rates and shorted loading times. If last gen games didn't work on both current gen consoles then it would of been a very boring 6 or 7 months.
Well Sony releases a new game each 3-4 months... I’m still to play old games on my console.

I still needs to finish Returnal and R&C is near release... plus I’m undecided if I buy RE8 or wait for the PSVR2 version.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Lol there’s literally nothing really to back up that claim. There are barely any games out for the console that’s not available on ps4 as well.

Journalists are giving them quite the service
commercial kristen wiig GIF

I get why everyone is on edge here, they didn't manage to get a PS5 and now have a hard-on for the others who did.

And for those who manage to get one, have only played BC games from PS4 and multiplat games for PS5 that only differs with better load times and trading blows with XSX on graphics.

They must've skipped on Astro as a DS demo completely, the game is not just a feature demo but an endearing short game on its own.

Then they must've skipped on Returnal cause either they suck at hard games or it was JUST $10/£10 rich for their taste but, to be honest, the game deserves every cent/penny.

This article is only talking about these two games as of yet. Not the other multiplats. Not any BC games that you can also play on PS4. It talks about PS5 only games! and draws a picture of the future based on only them, not others. SO if you haven't played these revolutionary two games, your experience isn't enough to criticize this article. Even says Spider-Man Miles Morales is on PS4 too and apart from haptics and instant loading the game is hampered by the necessity to cater to the old generation as a stepping stone. Even that game is not entirely revolutionary although it was the first to utilize haptics. Revolutionary as per this article is limiting it to PS5 exclusive games that utilize most of the advanced features available to it IF NOT ALL.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
high quality GIF

There's been maybe 3 games that are interesting on the platform. Nothing that screams must have. Future is bright, but this has been the easiest start of a generation I've participated of the last 25 years that I don't really feel like I'm missing out on by waiting. I plan on picking up a PS5 but as it stands there's nothing on either next-gen console that has me jonesing for a purchase.

I get that people want to justify their purchase, but if they were honest with themselves they'd admit that PS5 is essentially a new system that really is good for playing PS4 games at the moment. It's gonna be a while before we see exciting, new, groundbreaking games that make the purchase worth it for already existing PS4 owners.

Last edited:
Well Sony releases a new game each 3-4 months... I’m still to play old games on my console.

I still needs to finish Returnal and R&C is near release... plus I’m undecided if I buy RE8 or wait for the PSVR2 version.
Just wait for a good sale on RE8 or something. I really wasn't even rushing and I beat it in 7 hours and 48 minutes and I got all the collectables and did the optional stuff. I saw one guy on reddit who posted his time and he did rush it and finished it in like 4 hours 30 minutes lol

Wait for that sucker to hit 20-30 bucks, its totally worth that. Decent game, just not worth that full price imo

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Agree, at least its way better than Xbox "GAMEPASS" wow so next gen.
Meanwhile Returnal launched last week and Ratchet coming next month.

Last edited:
Neither of those games inspired me to finish.

If you still have problems finishing...

decisions

Returnal felt very next-gen to me. The DualSense, quality of graphics considering how much shit was going on and the frame rate, and the fact that it just got lost in a flow state going from room to room because there are is no loading were all things that felt like a distinct upgrade from the previous generation.

As time goes on, it may be the case that Sony's first-party games are the only ones that feel distinctly next-gen. For instance, to me REVIII just feels like a slight graphical upgrade over RE7. It's a good game, but it feels very much like an evolution compares to a revolution. We'll have to see.

Lmao. I have a PS5 and XSX and this has been the lamest launch year of a new gen yet. N64 with Mario was revolutionary, Xbox with Halo CE was revolutionary.

Was hyped to get my hands on a PS5 at launch and play Demon’s Souls, the first next gen game. Graphics were really nice but after a few hours the novelty wore off and I realized I was just playing a spruced up PS3 game.

6 months after launch and I still haven’t been wowed by anything and just play last or cross gen games 99% of the time. These consoles in a year or two should be cool though.

Mr Hyde

Sony has definitely showed off the systems capabilities with Demon's Souls, Astros Playroom and Returnal. From graphics to load times to the controller, the PS5 is very impressive so far and probably the best console Sony has designed. The future really shines bright this time, more brighter than ever.

The DualSense is truly a game changer and for me, the biggest next gen feature so far. The immersion I've gotten from Demon's Souls, Control and Returnal are simply unmatched as to what has come before. The rumble and adaptive triggers has to be felt to really get a sense what they are capable of, and I can't wait to see what developers do with this thing in the future.

Sony has also been very aggressive with their first party schedule and delivered great PS5 exclusives from the get go, and continuing on with a steady pace, always being one step ahead. I feel spoiled so far and the new generation has only begun.

On top of that, you have great BC to keep up in between releases. I rarely buy consoles at launch but with PS5 I'm extremely happy I got one so early. It's a fantastic console, well designed right out of the box.

Is it a revolution? Not quite, but in time I think the PS5 will be heralded as one, who paved the way for some amazing, ground breaking games, with a controller that takes gaming to a whole new level.

I've had both since release and neither have been revolutionary, but I have been impressed by the increased frame rates and shorted loading times. If last gen games didn't work on both current gen consoles then it would of been a very boring 6 or 7 months.
I hate to single you out, but you're last post on page 1, and my God. Its clear you and damn near everyone else on that page didn't even bother to read this article EDIT (luckily page 2 is a little better lol), just come in here and comment on the thread title.

Things the article classifies as revolutionary:

Haptic feedback. Accurate.
Adaptive triggers. OK maybe na to this one but obviously very cool feature.
3d audio enhancements. I don't use crazy headphones/speakers to have an opinion, but they use Returnal as an example, and based off what i've read I think a lot would say accurate.
Raytracing on console. This one could be argued when its something on xbox and PC.
Upcoming console exclusives. They got to play some like Ratchet and Clank, so bit unfair, but so far this gen and based on Sony's history, accurate.
The amount of consumer use. Based on the early numbers they've shared, accurate.

And for the nerds who wanna flame each other over consoles, they end by noting many cross platform titles perform better on PS5

Last edited:
the only thing different about PS5 compared to PS4 pro is the dualsense triggers get harder to press and wear ur hand out. oh and its more difficult to put into rest mode

on my Series X however....that Quick resume and every other week they double the frame rate on some last gen game in a free update.

cripterion

All I'm playing on it are PS4 games... Hell, Yakuza games (even 7) and Judgement could pass as PS3 games besides the framerate increase and res bump.
It seems Japanese devs are a generation behind in terms of graphical fidelity anyway.
I feel that only Insomniac has shown the goods as they're the only ones to seem to tap that ass on PS5.

That's only to speak on graphical terms and overall performance, in the end though, none of the games can be called revolutionary or bring anything new to the table. Next gen is same old gen we've always gamed on.

Now, I would love to play a GTA game / Yakuza game with a massive increase of number of buildings you can enter, things you can interact with. When Shenmue came out originally on Dreamcast, that was revolutionary for its time..
Imagine a Mass Effect like game with procedural worlds like shown in Star Citizen.. Nope, instead you get a bare to the bones remaster out of BioWare that's gonna feel old to play on PS5 but hey they're here to tap into the good old nostalgia so it's all good for 60 bucks right?

I know these things take time and there's a pandemic going on but the article is just plain wrong. As it stands I take solace in having faster loads, higher resolution and framerate, and most of all a non jet engine unit when gaming.

Last edited:

clintar

If Sony somehow includes their first party games and third party games in an exact service like gamespass. Sony would surpass in value whatever gamepass is offering simply due to first party sony is far superior than first party ms. Ms has the numbers but not the quality devs. If sony merge psnow and plus in one service or offer flavors of one unified service. Ps fans could have the sweetest deal in gaming obliterating MS gamepass. Jim Ryan said they are preparing something. If this come to pass It could be very very sweet.
This happens every thread, huh?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
reads like a puff piece. smells like a puff piece. 🤷‍♀️

gotta give it to Jimbo, at least they are doing some PR.
It is good to see competition competitng.
It's definitely a puff piece considering the fact that they got direct access to Jim Ryan, Herman Hurst, Insomniac directors and even Mark Cerny who has been hiding under a rock since Road to PS5.

But wired isn't just some publication you buy like IGN or Gameinformer. The best they can do is provide access, but they cant control the editorial. Their two articles revealing the PS5 specs had unprecedented access to Cerny and even the PS5 hardware (hidden in a silver tower IIRC), and this is just a follow up to those articles back in 2019.

If you read those articles, and see the promises Cerny had made, and read this person's justifications on admitting Cerny delivered on his so-called revolution, it makes perfect sense. Cerny had promised instant load times, amazing haptic feedback and sound effects on the controller (wired got to try this out way back in 2019), and ray tracing which left the author at the center of the biggest mystery on the internet.. whether or not the ray tracing in PS5 was hardware accelerated.

“There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.” (A belief born out by my own Twitter mentions, which for a couple of weeks in April made a graphics-rendering technique seem like the only thing the internet had ever cared about.)
What's happened here is that Sony has delivered on all of those promises made two years ago to this same writer. Ray traced visuals? Try 6 games in the first 6 months. Instant load times? Smaller file sizes? You got it. The writer got to try the Dualshock 5 in astrobot back in 2019, but he dismissed it as a tech demo. Well, Returnal's implementation to him is unlike anything else out there.

You and I can disagree on whether or not the PS5 is a revolution (i personally dont think its there yet), but by Cerny's own metrics for what a revolution is, they have delivered. The article talks about how so many tech advancements are dismissed as gimmicks. They mention vita's rear touchpads. You may also remember the move controllers, kinect, etc. These things dont catch on. The fact that people have embraced the DS5 haptics and sound feedback, and the fact that developers are already putting out AAA titles with ray tracing, and sub second loadtimes is really fucking impressive.

Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation | WIRED

Last edited:

Renozokii

Yes, I don’t think some of you understand the difference between good games and the claim of REVOLUTIONARY .
Console itself is. It shows there’s more to do with consoles. Microsoft has decided to just make a beefy pc. Nintendo made a handheld home console 2 in 1. Sony made a console with one of the fastest ssds on the market, a truly next gen controller, a crazy sound experience, and is working on a vr headset that should make top of the line vr infinitely more accessible.

And ratchet and clank is more impressive than anything we saw on the ps4 in it’s time. The rifts, overall loading, and Pixar level visuals are genuinely jaw dropping. Only thing that came close was the tlou2 reveal.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
the only thing different about PS5 compared to PS4 pro is the dualsense triggers get harder to press and wear ur hand out. oh and its more difficult to put into rest mode

on my Series X however....that Quick resume and every other week they double the frame rate on some last gen game in a free update.
Lol what's the hype with this quick resume I always see. Is it because you have nothing else to mention?

I used it on Outriders and Division 2 because that's what I'm playing right now on my Series X. They both kicked me out of the game so it's useless there. I used it again on Resident Evil 7 and it fucked my stats on my save without me noticing. It says I was playing the game for over 30 hours so I was locked out of the achievement and the saw weapon because of it. Fail. I'll just quit the game instead.

I don't get the hype. Maybe because Xbox games are always so slow to load? I don't know why. It's not an issue on PS5.

Murdoch

I'll definitely be picking one up when the console has been revised and there's a decent library of 'next gen' games.

Wear your hand out lmfaooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom