• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pathless Reviews |OT| A hunter's bond!

the-pathless-ps5-playstation-5-1.jpg

Metacritic: 82
OpenCritic: 80

IGN: 80

DualShockers: 80

Gamingtrend: 90
Like previous effort ABZÛ before it, The Pathless leans heavily into the gorgeous cell-shaded world, and it does so with gameplay and story that keeps you locked and engaged for the entirety of its 10 hour story run. Comparisons to games like Shadow of the Colossus and Journey are apt, but seeing the world rush by at 4K and 60fps is a thing of beauty. Come for the frenetic gameplay, stay for the art.

Gameinformer: 80
The Pathless is a wonderfully different game that makes you feel like you have ownership over the entire experience and are not being led along by a pre-scripted playbook.

VG247: 🌟🌟🌟🌟
I hope it isn’t lost amongst the PS5’s bigger, noisier releases, as it’s something different and uplifting. It’s rare to find such tension and threat in a game that’s also so peaceful, but Giant Squid has managed it. In truth we could all do with a bit of light in our lives at the moment.

Gamespot: 70
Most of The Pathless plays to its mechanical strengths, free-form exploration, satisfying movement, and methodical puzzle-solving. At times, that lowers the stakes a little too much, but it maximizes the kind of gameplay the game is named for. For a player like me, who bee-lines for an objective every time, it's refreshing to simply take things as they come. The Pathless is the rare game that gives you more by not asking too much, and that makes it special.
GamingBolt: 90

More:

GamesRadar: 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Press-Start AU: 90

TheSixAxis: 90

Last edited:
Looks like another great launch game... I liked the speed and flow of the game when I saw it. Some comparing it to BOTW mixed with Vanquish, which sounds awesome.

Watched some of the gameplay and it looks really good - a lot of great commentary on it.... kinda unfortunate it's releasing Day One and not in December for example.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The game costs 35 euro on the PS Store. I find the price too high for an indie game with (I presume) a relatively short play time. A 20 euro price tag would have made the game no brainer purchase, at 25-30 euro it already becomes a "let me think about this" price and anything above 30 is a "wait for sale" price.

This is $35 on PS5? Isn’t it the same game included with Apple Arcade? Or is it different somehow? #rinsed

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was really excited about this one, but I have to admit I don't like it as much as some reviews did. The reviews made it seem like roaming was going to be much more seamless than it is. Maybe I just suck at the game, but there are tons of times I run out of stamina and need to stop and traversing certain areas requires me to stop.

It starts to get a bit repetitive after a while. It's a fun game and I like it and the art style of gorgeous, but some people think this is a sleeper for top games of the year and to me it doesn't come close to that. Once I beat it I'll likely have forgotten it quite quickly.

Humdinger

I just realized this game was out. I'd forgotten about it.

$35 seems too high for a 10-hr. indie game. I'll wait for a price drop. I should also probably wait until I get a PS5, since it sounds like the visual upgrade and controller features are significant.

bellome

I just realized this game was out. I'd forgotten about it.

$35 seems too high for a 10-hr. indie game. I'll wait for a price drop. I should also probably wait until I get a PS5, since it sounds like the visual upgrade and controller features are significant.
I finished it on PS5 some days ago. It's a good relaxing game, with enjoyable controls, nice puzzles and great music.

Pretty good value for my money, even if it's only 10 hours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom