• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pathless is one of the finest experiences, don't sleep on it

Just platinumed the game, clocked at 13 hours, I feel obligated to shout out for this game.

First I have to say that the marketing team did a sloppy job advertising what the game actually is. When I first saw the trailer during PS5 reveal I thought it was some kind of racing game that you shoot diamonds to gain speed, that was basically what they showed. Until much later I learned that the game is developed by Giant Squid, the devs behind Abzu, that made me think this gotta be more than just a racing parkour game and gain some interests.

Now I finished game, I can conclude that the game is basically a more focused BOTW experience. Giant Squid makes the huge improvement over their last game - that is, making the game is actually very fun to play.

You play the young female hunter as protagonist, exploring an island at the edge of the world and trying to kill a godslayer that is behind the current doom of the world. The game loop is similar to BOTW - you explore the world to find points of interest, solving puzzles and gaining power, cleanse obelisks then kill the regional boss to progress.

The size of the island is nowhere near the one in Zelda, but what makes it so enjoyable is the traversal mechanics. That's where the shooting diamonds come to play. Normally your sprint speed is quite slow, but when you shoot those talismans, you get a huge boost of speed and can chain them one after one. When get used to the groove, the high mobility and precision control just feel so right. You can do hella acrobats.

What's even better is that you have a trusted eagle companion with you, who can help with puzzles, attack boss, and most importantly, let you glide with her. As you progress the story, you get ability to flap during the glide, which boost your height, up to 10 times (or give you a super high lift). If you don't like on foot, go fly!

3fcrPKW.png

Because there is no map or fast travel whatsoever, the not so big open world just feels vast and full of mysteries. To explore the world, find a high vantage point, scout out the points of interest and get there in your favorite way!

I could go on and on preaching : the aesthetics are the devs' bread and butter and the music is very emotional (I am just amazed that the music quality in such a indie title), the puzzles are friendly yet keep me constant interested. But the biggest surprise is the boss fight.

There is no other combat in all parts of the game, such that I did not set my expectation high for the boss. They totally got me. Thrilling battle themes, terrifying monsters, they are epic. As far as mechanics go, I'd say it's similar to boss fight in Mario Odyssey, you avoid being attacked, work with your eagle to dodge, and strike back when bosses expose their weakness. On one hand, the fast pace and aggression require reflex and skills; on the other hand, you can't even die in this game - if you get hit too much you will simply get knocked out the arena, all you need to do is climbing back and continue the fight. Because of this I always look forward to confront new bosses without feeling stressed. To avoid spoiler let's post a boss picture from PS blog.
The-Pathless-featured-image.jpg

The rest of the gameplay center around exploring, solving puzzles and putting together the lore pieces scattered on the island to learn the story. Nothing is really groundbreaking but they just organically immerse you so well. Gliding down from high mountains is rewarding itself.

Probably my most pleasant platinum experience this year so far.
GCJzKgR.png

If you crave that BOTW immersive experience and haven't played The Pathless, give it go, you will be satisfied. Game as such deserves more attention rather than buried gem. I genuinely hope Giant Squid can one day have a Hades like take off.

Aion002

Seems really cool! Thanks to your thread I remembered seeing this game on MS and Sony presentations, I was really hyped about it, but for some reason I completely forgot it. I will definitely check it out, thanks!

Spidey Fan

Banned
on the other hand, you can't even die in this game -
This thing right there OP is a hard pass for me. There is a reason why I am more of interested in BOTW clones. I played genshin impact, and its closest to BOTW. The reason why I am interested in the game is the combat. Having your enemies kill you, bring joy to the game. Makes you not invincible and adds challenge to the game.

I am right now getting tired of spiderman boss fights. And the main reason is the save option. The game saves on certain part of the fight, which losses the tension of actually getting to be spiderman, fighting to death. I fought Li on the train, and that was my most disappointing fights in spiderman. Even fodders did much tension to the fight, compared to mr Li fight.

Other points you presented are valid, I might try it out on my pc. Hope it doesn't become an empty boring world, with no tension. Over doing certain things usually lead to a burnout or boredom.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It has been rumored to be one of the PS+ titles for July. Will definitely give it a go is that turns out to be true.

This thing right there OP is a hard pass for me. There is a reason why I am more of interested in BOTW clones. I played genshin impact, and its closest to BOTW. The reason why I am interested in the game is the combat. Having your enemies kill you, bring joy to the game. Makes you not invincible and adds challenge to the game.

I am right now getting tired of spiderman boss fights. And the main reason is the save option. The game saves on certain part of the fight, which losses the tension of actually getting to be spiderman, fighting to death. I fought Li on the train, and that was my most disappointing fights in spiderman. Even fodders did much tension to the fight, compared to mr Li fight.

Other points you presented are valid, I might try it out on my pc. Hope it doesn't become an empty boring world, with no tension. Over doing certain things usually lead to a burnout or boredom.
Well, I'd say don't let that bother you. Spiderman is all centered around combat such that the boss fight compared in pale with others.

The Pathless is mainly about exploring and puzzling with a soothing pace so the boss battles is a nice change of flavor. Besides you can definitely try hard on them.

This game did not once give me BotW vibes. It was decent, I platinumed it as well, but I think you are vastly over-selling it.
Well it certainly won't reach the exact product values as a 97+ game, but it does give me the wandering in the vast land immersion. Those are my genuine impression.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Well, I'd say don't let that bother you. Spiderman is all centered around combat such that the boss fight compared in pale with others.

The Pathless is mainly about exploring and puzzling with a soothing pace so the boss battles is a nice change of flavor. Besides you can definitely try hard on them.

Well it certainly won't reach the exact product values as a 97+ game, but it does give me the wandering in the vast land immersion. Those are my genuine impression.
To me, spiderman has one of the worst boss combat i ever seen from the games that I play.

Mr Li had 2 basic attacks in the train sequence. All you had to do was press x to jump, and circle for sides. It was super anti climatic.

Compared to God of war boss fight. The Stranger basically made you a bitch. The insane speed was hard to follow sometimes.

Insomniac really needs to do more research how boss fight is made. The story was half half. Mr li story was basically worthless. Octo story was nice. And the prison sequence was chefs kiss. If it weren't for the cinematic moment, that part would have been garbage.

I will try the game. I kinda need some quite games. So it might help me enjoy it, If it has nice music. That is the only thing makes meh game good.

Bought it long time ago…. Played one time for maybe 1 hour and that was it…

pretty sure is still installed, will try again

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Pathless is coming to Nintendo Switch and Xbox on February 2nd

From the creators of ABZÛ, The Pathless is the mythic adventure of an archer and an eagle in a vast forest. Become the Hunter, a master of archery who travels to a mystical island to dispel a curse of darkness that grips the world.

Developed by GIANT SQUID. Published by Annapurna Interactive.

dave_d

I'll ask, does it have gyro aiming like BotW for aiming with a bow. (The reason I dropped Genshin Impact so fast was no gyro aiming. Yeah that's a must have for me these days on a console if it can be supported.)

I'll ask, does it have gyro aiming like BotW for aiming with a bow. (The reason I dropped Genshin Impact so fast was no gyro aiming. Yeah that's a must have for me these days on a console if it can be supported.)
The aiming is handled automatically, just face the general direction and hold the trigger it would automatically lock on.

The reason is that the game features high mobility and fluid parkour, and you get momentum boost from shooting the diamond tokens in open world, so it has to be this way.

dave_d

The aiming is handled automatically, just face the general direction and hold the trigger it would automatically lock on.

The reason is that the game features high mobility and fluid parkour, and you get momentum boost from shooting the diamond tokens in open world, so it has to be this way.
Ok, good to know. Just glad it isn't thumbstick aiming .

Top Bottom