• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds launching October 25th. Coming to Game Pass

Mista

Banned

The Outer Worlds will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on October 25, publisher Private Division and developer Obsidian Entertainment announced at the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference.

Here is an overview of the game, via Private Division:
About

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren’t particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It’s up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything… except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Definitely getting some Fallout x Borderlands x Insomniac type vibes from this. Looks promising!

Teslerum

Looking forward to another Cainarsky RPG after 14 years.

Sadly the *psychopath* line gives me hope of full on Michael Thornton role playing and thats just a road of disappointment.

I just don't have nearly as much faith in this as so many others seem to.

To me the trailers give me the sense that the game is filled with jank and bugs.

It better have an amazing and engaging story to help me look past said jank and bugs.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Happy it's coming to Game Pass. I honestly wasn't expecting that. Glad MS and T2 came to some sort of an agreement there.

This and Cyberpunk are the only things I'm excited for from Microsoft. If Obsidian can make another New Vegas-quality experience, I'll be thrilled.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Looks really cool to me. I won't be there day one, but I'll be there. As a long-time Fallout fan, Obsidian's New Vegas was the only glimmer of a respectable 3D Fallout.

I hope they pull it off. Don't screw it up, please! Fallout going down the toilet was heartbreaking enough.

waylo

Banned
I know it's on Unreal, but man everything about that looked like it was running on the garbage Creation Engine.

I know it's on Unreal, but man everything about that looked like it was running on the garbage Creation Engine.

Agree. Kinda hard to not be disappointed IMO. People are hyped because it's Obsidian, but nothing I've SEEN has actually looked impressive. It looks dated and full of jank.

Prove me wrong Obsidian. I want to be wrong.

Agree. Kinda hard to not be disappointed IMO. People are hyped because it's Obsidian, but nothing I've SEEN has actually looked impressive. It looks dated and full of jank.

Prove me wrong Obsidian. I want to be wrong.

It will be a good, New Vegas style FPRPG. Obsidian fucked up listening to Microsoft marketing in trying to cut a trailer that makes it look like something it's not.

I don't go to New Vegas for a FPS, I go for an RPG experience with great atmosphere and conversation systems. To corporate marketing that shits boring and doesn't appeal to anyone so they cut a trailer making it look like Borderlands which then makes the RPG fans worried.

People said Microsoft changed when they started buying up studios and once again they're doing the same shit they've done for over 15 years.

Look at Ninja Theory, made single player games with a great story and now they're doing 4v4 shit with an art style that is over saturated in the industry. This is typical fucking Microsoft, they haven't changed at all.

JLMC469

Banned
It will be a good, New Vegas style FPRPG. Obsidian fucked up listening to Microsoft marketing in trying to cut a trailer that makes it look like something it's not.

I don't go to New Vegas for a FPS, I go for an RPG experience with great atmosphere and conversation systems. To corporate marketing that shits boring and doesn't appeal to anyone so they cut a trailer making it look like Borderlands which then makes the RPG fans worried.

People said Microsoft changed when they started buying up studios and once again they're doing the same shit they've done for over 15 years.

Look at Ninja Theory, made single player games with a great story and now they're doing 4v4 shit with an art style that is over saturated in the industry. This is typical fucking Microsoft, they haven't changed at all.

NT made very clear that they are working on other projects and this one was in development long before MS bought them.

Outer Worlds was also in development before MS bought Obsidian.

Lilseb93

It might not have been the greatest trailer, but it looks like Fallout and they did the best Fallout so I'm all in.

Bullet Club

Pd2Btbp.gif

Sacred

Ninja Theory was working on that game long before MS acquired them. Do some research before you spew bs. They also have multiple teams working on several titles.

Last edited:
That interview just made me want more information. I can’t wait for this game. It feels like the kind of game I’ve been waiting for.

NT made very clear that they are working on other projects and this one was in development long before MS bought them.

Outer Worlds was also in development before MS bought Obsidian.
Ninja Theory was working on that game long before MS acquired them. Do some research before you spew bs. They also have multiple teams working on several titles.

It doesn't matter, it's off topic for NT but that game is what was shown and given premium time during a E3 press conference. If those titles make it to a press conference and are given the same treatment then I'll look at the situation differently.

I'm always skeptical because of MS history with studios which I'll never understand why EA (justifiably so) gets flak for but yet MS gets a pass for.

As for Outer Worlds, I'm criticizing the way it was marketed in a press conference as a shooter when it should have focused on it's strengths in RPG immersion and dialogue.

Sacred

It doesn't matter, it's off topic for NT but that game is what was shown and given premium time during a E3 press conference. If those titles make it to a press conference and are given the same treatment then I'll look at the situation differently.

I'm always skeptical because of MS history with studios which I'll never understand why EA (justifiably so) gets flak for but yet MS gets a pass for.

As for Outer Worlds, I'm criticizing the way it was marketed in a press conference as a shooter when it should have focused on it's strengths in RPG immersion and dialogue.

It does matter when you shit like this that just isn't true:

"Look at Ninja Theory, made single player games with a great story and now they're doing 4v4 shit with an art style that is over saturated in the industry. This is typical fucking Microsoft, they haven't changed at all."

We haven't seen any titles since they were acquired by MS yet, so you have no clue what they are making.

Last edited:

Starfield

I have the feeling that this game is not gonna get received well. I want it to succeed but somehow it has failure written over it. I definitely gonna check it out though.

Teslerum

I have the feeling that this game is not gonna get received well. I want it to succeed but somehow it has failure written over it. I definitely gonna check it out though.

I don't know if its going to financially succeed all that much, but I don't fear it going to be received badly, journalists seem to be down with it and even in the worst scenario I see a *cult* classic thanks to certain elements like all the games Tim and Leonard made together.

Thankfully for it to be interesting for Microsoft it has to do the second (get fans/recognition) more than the first (be financially an uber hit) since Take2s going to be pocketing most of that money anyway.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Previews

From one of those

In the E3 2019 demo mission, the player is tasked with disrupting the operations of a powerful local businessman named Clive. Getting into his slaughterhouse to confront him can be accomplished a few different ways: either charging through the front door with weapons, picking a lock to access a nearby sewer, or by using a holographic disguise that allows you to enter restricted areas. The holographic disguise looked to be a recurring feature of the game. It has a limited charge the runs out as you move, and NPCs will still confront you and may require smooth talking even when you have the disguise active - so it's best used in concert with a character that has decent charm or intimidation skills.

Top Bottom