• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds 2 Will Seemingly Be Built With Unreal Engine 5

Bullet Club

The Outer Worlds 2 Will Seemingly Be Built With Unreal Engine 5

The Outer Worlds 2 is a long ways off - the initial teaser trailer even said so. That being said, development appears to be underway on the next iteration in the space RPG series, and a recent job listing could suggest the game is being built in Unreal Engine 5.

On developer Obsidian's website, a listing for a Houdini Technical Artist has emerged. Amongst the usual jargon, there's a few little bits which pinpoint the team is moving to Unreal Engine 5. Outside of the team looking for someone to work on "next-gen RPG development in Unreal Engine", it's seeking someone to "test and debug world-building issues in Houdini and Unreal Engine 4/5".

However, it seems the project is leaning more towards Unreal Engine 5, as a further requirement is someone who has "an understanding of new features coming in UE5". While it could be easy to think the project referenced is Obsidian's other upcoming RPG Avowed, development on said game has already been underway for some time, which pushes it closer towards being The Outer Worlds 2.

It makes sense the team would want to go all out on the sequel. Results of the first game from Take-Two's earning report earlier this week revealed the original has hit over 4 million total sales - a million more compared to last quarter. The announcement of the sequel could have played a part in the sudden increase.

We're probably going to see a wave of developers announce they're heading on over to Unreal Engine 5. The Coalition has already confirmed it's using the software, even going as far to provide a technical demonstration of it in action. InXile Entertainment and Ninja Theory have also confirmed they'll be moving over to the improved graphics engine. It certainly sounds like we'll have some stunning next-gen titles coming in a few years.

Source: PureXbox

Godot25

Banned
It's funny that Epic promoted Unreal Engine 5 on PS5(I know, i know, money), when PlayStation Studios will almost never use it (probably Bend and Pixel)
Meanwhile Microsoft has iXile, Obsidian, The Coalition, Rare, The Initiative, Compulsion, Double Fine, Undead Labs and Ninja Theory all working on UE4/UE5

Last edited:
First game was kinda shit for Obsidian standards (still a solid 7/10), hope Phil gives them a big budget so they can build a nice game.

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprising since most MS games use unreal engine.

Can't wait to see it though, I enjoyed the first game a lot more than I thought I would.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's funny that Epic promoted Unreal Engine 5 on PS5(I know, i know, money), when PlayStation Studios will almost never use it (probably Bend and Pixel)
Meanwhile Microsoft has iXile, Obsidian, The Coalition, Rare, The Initiative, Compulsion, Double Fine, Undead Labs and Ninja Theory all working on UE4/UE5

It was an investment from Sony, and since UE5 is used industry wide, for games, movies, music and tv shows we know by now why.

It's not just about games. And what does it matter that not every PS studio uses UE5? Sony's own in-house game engines are way more advanced in a lot of ways. It makes them more unique since you can always tell if a game was created with UE in general.

It's worth noting that this is not specifically the PlayStation division making an investment, but Sony as a whole. The company is using Unreal Engine for all sorts of products, ranging from music videos to movies and television shows, as well as virtual reality experiences and, of course, games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

First game was kinda shit for Obsidian standards (still a solid 7/10), hope Phil gives them a big budget so they can build a nice game.

Thats what I'm hoping.

I never want to play the trash that was the first game.

I'ma just pretend Pillars Of Eternity was the only games they put out last gen lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Get someone who knows how to model actual people and writers that aren't high off their own farts and maybe we could get a good game. The only good thing of the original was its environmental art direction.

Sony as one of the shareholders in Epic will benefit from the profits though

Mattyp

Gold Member
For the pint fumes it was made on the first turned out great, it wasn’t anywhere near meant to be a triple A title like people seem to expect like Fallout.

The art style and worlds in UE5 will be impressive but.

WitchHunter

More beautiful, but empty, zero games. Yay. GPUs must be sold, NV needs it for benevolent research. Plus people must be herded into VR as soon as possible.

Last edited:
ok? i'm sure many games will use it.

i'd rather not have a sequel to that game. obsidian should just focus on Avowed. fuck that nasty outer worlds trash

elliot5

y'all realize Obsidian is focusing on Avowed? TOW2 is all but a name currently. It'll be using UE5 because by the time any sort of pre-production actually gets rolling UE5 will be out of preview and be the new standard.

levyjl1988

Banned
I hope they can give us a third-person view, I often play games like Skyrim, and Fallout, but it seems pretty lazy to just give us only one perspective.

Sony as one of the shareholders in Epic will benefit from the profits though
Saying this as if Microsoft isn’t getting money from them for havoc and azure also not everything has to be made to be a win for any corporation. His point was Microsoft historically uses this engine more so than Nintendo or Sony.

Labadal

y'all realize Obsidian is focusing on Avowed? TOW2 is all but a name currently. It'll be using UE5 because by the time any sort of pre-production actually gets rolling UE5 will be out of preview and be the new standard.
They have different teams for TOW2 and Avowed. They have always juggled multiple projects.

jaysius

Banned
Wow with how awful the first one was and how many technical issues they had with texture pop-in and other things it's not a good sign that they're trying to make a game in an engine they really don't understand.

elliot5

They have different teams for TOW2 and Avowed. They have always juggled multiple projects.
I know they have, but Avowed is clearly going to be taking priority as they have a small team on Grounded and Avowed is well on its way in production, while TOW just finished its DLC content. TOW2 is extremely early. The announcement trailer literally joked about how it only is a title right now lol. It's not like they're going to be neglecting Avowed now that TOW2 was made public.

Chukhopops

Looking forward to a sequel, although I would still prefer Obsidian to work on a Fallout game now that it’s under the same family.

Fallout NV is still GOAT to this day eleven years later.

Armorian

Banned
I can’t wait to see the absolute meltdowns by the Neogaf top brass in the next few years when Microsoft start knocking it out the park with their 21+ studios.

Phil has unleashed the beast, yall going to suffer from meltdown after meltdown.

MS never managed their studios that great. There are Forza/Halo/Gears machines.

They bought some talented studios but let's see if their also learned something.

Labadal

I know they have, but Avowed is clearly going to be taking priority as they have a small team on Grounded and Avowed is well on its way in production, while TOW just finished its DLC content. TOW2 is extremely early. The announcement trailer literally joked about how it only is a title right now lol. It's not like they're going to be neglecting Avowed now that TOW2 was made public.
They won't neglect Avowed. It most certainly has the bigger team for now, but rest assured that TOW2 pre-production is already underway. While the DLCs were being worked on, they woee lead by other people than Kain and Boyarsky.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Looking forward to a sequel, although I would still prefer Obsidian to work on a Fallout game now that it’s under the same family.

Fallout NV is still GOAT to this day eleven years later.

Not sure those guys want to work on an IP that isn’t theirs, and OW2 has been in stages of production prior to the acquisition.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope they make it so sneaking does something this time around. Really turned me off the 1st game.

Last edited:

They bought some talented studios but let's see if their also learned something.
Lmao, the stupidity.

Forza, gears and Halo are massive franchises. They only had like 5-7 studios and were still able to compete with Sony and Nintendo 😂

Armorian

Banned
Lmao, the stupidity.

Forza, gears and Halo are massive franchises. They only had like 5-7 studios and were still able to compete with Sony and Nintendo 😂

In what way they completed? There are articles and threads from almost every year comparing Sony, Nintendo and Ms exclusives. Guess who was almost always on the bottom in terms of quantity of GOOD exclusives?

Neilg

It's not just about games. And what does it matter that not every PS studio uses UE5? Sony's own in-house game engines are way more advanced in a lot of ways. It makes them more unique since you can always tell if a game was created with UE in general.

It's also worth pointing out that while UE5 is first, and came up with a catchy name for it, their tech is not unobtainable to others and it's all based on research papers dating back 10+ years.

People that work in tech theorize ways to do things long, long before the hardware is available to actually do it. in-house engines arent going to be stuck with crap lighting and low poly objects while UE5 storms ahead. but they also don't need to market it as a feature, because they're in-house engines.

Also you cant always tell if a game was created in UE5 unless they're using the default post processing. A lot do, but it's not ALWAYS.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Did you just write this because you like blabbering this everywhere? Which studios are Forza/Halo/Gears machine?
343i? I would be worried if they left Halo without any conclusion right now for another ip just for some internet console war narrative.
Coalition? They are fairly new though. Gears 4/5 were pretty good for a studio's first attempt at AAA.
Also there have been some talks of Coalition making a new IP
Turn 10? Why the heck do you want Turn 10 to make anything else?
Literally every console manufacturer has some studios that focus on one IP. There is a huge fanbase following for Halo and Forza, why would they abandon them for some fancy console warrior quote?

Armorian

Banned
Did you just write this because you like blabbering this everywhere? Which studios are Forza/Halo/Gears machine?
343i? I would be worried if they left Halo without any conclusion right now for another ip just for some internet console war narrative.
Coalition? They are fairly new though. Gears 4/5 were pretty good for a studio's first attempt at AAA.
Also there have been some talks of Coalition making a new IP
Turn 10? Why the heck do you want Turn 10 to make anything else?
Literally every console manufacturer has some studios that focus on one IP. There is a huge fanbase following for Halo and Forza, why would they abandon them for some fancy console warrior quote?

Coalition

Zrzutekranu202108052.jpg

They are making Gears games since 2015. New ip will be cool... when it's released.

MS so far didn't like their studios to make many new ip/risk projects and focused on tried franchises mostly. We will see how they will handle all the new studios they have now.

W30anWM.jpg

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not really news is it though? "Game company uses latest version of game engine to make game". Groundbreaking news.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Coalition

Zrzutekranu202108052.jpg
Zrzutekranu202108052.jpg

They are making Gears games since 2015. New ip will be cool... when it's released.
Yeah how dare they work in a IP for 6 years.
MS so far didn't like their studios to make many new ip/risk projects and focused on tried franchises mostly. We will see how they will handle all the new studios they have now.
Is that why they let Rare work on whatever they want for three generations until they succeeded with Sea of Theives and still they are making a new IP rather than a sequel? They don't have any more studios dedicated to one IP then their competition.
Yeah the "meme" from the Microsoft buying EA rumour in 2018. How creative. For reference they have closed less studios then their competition.

Last edited:

Markio128

I really didn’t think much of the first game if I’m being honest and I really did try to like it, mostly because of the sci-if setting, which appealed to me.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont see why is this news, more and more games is going to either use their own engine, or UE5.

anyway, SO UNREAL SO ENGINE!!!!
Hit The Woah Freaking Out GIF

mcjmetroid

The graphic was honestly the last problem i had with the game.
The first game was poor.

Why people keep telling themselves they liked it just to throw shade at Fallout 76 I'll never know.

I'm sure some people did like the game but ya.. for me a sequel is not that exciting.

Reviews really gave the first game a free ride

Banned
Yeah i didn't liked the game, bailed out after 15 hours or so.

But yeah, Avowed is what i'm hyped for.

ok... what's up with people playing games they don't like for 15 hours?

as an example, I popped in Days Gone into my PS4Pro, literally started the first big zombie fight, noticed the controls are complete trash, and never played it again until I got my PS5, where the 60fps in combination with gyro aim fixes the issue.

the only time I've ever played a game I didn't like for longer than 1h was when a friend challenged my to finish Uncharted 3 just so that I actually could really critique the game fairly. I failed at that, because that game is beyond trash, but yeah...

Last edited:
Top Bottom