• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Original XBOX is still AWESOME in 2021

Three

The OG xbox was a great machine for its time but why on earth would anyone recommend it now as an emulator box in 2021? You can get cheap smaller PCs which are more efficient and have better support and compatibility.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The homebrew/emulation on it is impressive for its time, but it's not really "awesome" in 2021.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
This thing was my dedicated emulator back in the 2000s, I used to love being able to play N64 games on it. No idea why would anyone get one now tho, other than nostalgia purposes.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
So true. In the span of approximately 13 months; Gunvalkyrie, Shenmue II, The House of the Dead 3, Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT 2002 and Phantasy Star Online Ep. I & II all released.
and flipping rent a hero, jpn exclusive just to spite us I think, and outrun 2006 coast 2 coast and spike out(which unfortunately costs a fortune now) plus classic sega style non-sense like bringing over otogi

Krathoon

I really need to organize my game collection.
I need to get back to playing Castlvania: Curse of Darkness.

Trimesh

Banned
Well! I might be in luck, I believe mine is one of the latest bundle. It uses the latest DVD drive so I suppose it's correct?

If it has one of the Hitachi-LG drives and a manufacture date of 04/2004 or later then it's almost certain to be a 1.6 that has the newer Nichicon EDLC that doesn't leak.

Havoc2049

and flipping rent a hero, jpn exclusive just to spite us I think, and outrun 2006 coast 2 coast and spike out(which unfortunately costs a fortune now) plus classic sega style non-sense like bringing over otogi
Oh ya, tons of great Sega games on the OG Xbox. Some of the later releases like Spikeout, Otogi 2 and Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast have REALLY low print runs as well. I was part of the Dreamcast fanbase that migrated over to the Xbox because of the Microsoft-Sega publishing deal and the continuation of console online gaming. You just motivated me to complete my Sega OG Xbox collection. I just bought Sega Soccer Slam and Sonic Heroes off ebay. I think I might have a complete Sega OG Xbox collection now.

Romulus

The OG xbox was a great machine for its time but why on earth would anyone recommend it now as an emulator box in 2021? You can get cheap smaller PCs which are more efficient and have better support and compatibility.

OG xbox games have issues with PC emulation still.
2-4 player couch games all the way to N64 to is a nice bonus. A cheap PC will have issues running alot of OG xbox games, especially considering you can find an xbox under $50

RobRSG

Thanks for sharing, most definitely going to watch!

I haven't done any homebrewing on the Xbox OG. But i recently took it out and did some emergency surgery to take out the capacitor that can render it completely useless.

I never played the Xbox OG on an HDTV back then. So i connected it via component cables and played Dragon's Lair 3d at 1080p. I was blown away at how well it ran the game.

I recorded the game at 720p but I assure you it was at 1080p.

The OG Xbox only goes up to 1080i…

Modded og Xbox is one of the best consoles of all time. The NES emulator had a slick menu where it was the Mario 3 curtains and music. Memory is fuzzy. Maybe it was Dr Mario.

Also it made me a legend for having Halo 2 early. My friends didn't believe me. I was basically the meme of "my uncle works for Nintendo" but real

They came over and played pirated French Halo 2 and their minds were blown. Sounds like a euphemism. Again, memory is fuzzy.

Romulus

Modded og Xbox is one of the best consoles of all time. The NES emulator had a slick menu where it was the Mario 3 curtains and music. Memory is fuzzy. Maybe it was Dr Mario.

Also it made me a legend for having Halo 2 early. My friends didn't believe me. I was basically the meme of "my uncle works for Nintendo" but real

They came over and played pirated French Halo 2 and their minds were blown. Sounds like a euphemism. Again, memory is fuzzy.

Damn I never heard of anyone getting halo 2 early. I was so fucking hyped for game and it actually delivered more than expected.
Imagine if you could have streamed that early version in 2004 lol

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
This is one of the few old consoles that I decided was worth keeping, with the Dreamcast, MegaDrive and Saturn. OG Xbox is pretty great indeed, I even have a Sega Saturn controller adapter for it.

Edit : oh I had already responded in this thread months ago :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Enjoy the console !

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah there was an early leak of Halo 2 out, I think it was only in French and it released about a month early. I've seen it running at someones house. The guy also flashed Xbox consoles. I just waited for the official version with all languages.

Three

OG xbox games have issues with PC emulation still.
2-4 player couch games all the way to N64 to is a nice bonus. A cheap PC will have issues running alot of OG xbox games, especially considering you can find an xbox under $50
But OG xbox games on an OG xbox are not emulation. If the premise is that it's cool to play OG xbox games still then I agree but the case was made in the video that the OG xbox makes a cool emulation machine in 2021 not that the OG xbox is the OG xbox.

Now that you brought it up though don't most OG xbox games have a PC port? I always thought that the OG xbox was easy to emulate too because it was x86.

GymWolf

Kinda loved my og xbox and the gigantic pad.

Also the online service was so mich better than sony that it wasn't even funny.

BlackTron

When I tried to plug in my Xbox over 10 years ago it was dead and I made no effort to figure out why or do anything about it. I just let it go.

It was certainly very impressive for its time, I got one for Halo 2. The game was crap compared to the e3 demo that sold me on it and I went back to Halo 1 on PC pretty fast. I played some other titles on the system and was impressed by its technical abilities but I had really got it for Halo 2 which left a bad taste. Ultimately I only spent a few months with it which is a shame because it punched above its weight back then. I sort of wish I never got rid of it so I could try and fix it/mod it now.

cireza

Banned
Played some SVC Chaos and completed a run of Shikigami no Shiro 2 today. Felt like it when this topic showed up.

Shut0wen

The Original Xbox became an incredible machine for homebrew. In this episode we take a look at how the hardware and its powerful cpu, large storage and built in networking helped built an entire undergrounds homebrew scene.

I had mine chipped as well, was brilliant play neogeos, snes and sega consoles but it was great for playing n64 games, some ran perfect but a majority were poor, especially mario 64 and OOT, mario partys were smooth af though

Banjo64

cumsessed
I just hate the OG Xbox. It’s simply one big ugly contraption. Surely it’s not even worth it for emulation considering you can get a 3DS/Vita/Series S/Shield for emulation?

I just wish i could emulate it properly. CXBX-Reloaded is the best thing we got right now and thankfully it does play Jet Set Radio Future near flawlessly. You can easily complete that game with minor issues and add some enhancements on top. But i couldn't make Panzer Dragoon Orta function as well as JSRF.

Those are the only two games i care about on the system and the reason why it's still sitting in my garage.

cireza

Banned
I just hate the OG Xbox. It’s simply one big ugly contraption. Surely it’s not even worth it for emulation considering you can get a 3DS/Vita/Series S/Shield for emulation?
The console is still definitely worth it, it has a ton a fantastic games, you can plug it easily to a CRT which offer numerous advantages over modern TVs, and it can emulate a ton of consoles. It is super cheap as well.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It was great tech 20 years ago, but I seen no reason to hook it up to my TV again after all these years. My PC is a much better alternative for emulation, as a media player it's been long surpassed and I'm not really itching to replay vintage Xbox games when I could be playing games on my PC or PS5. But yeah, back in the day the original Xbox was great.

Krathoon

I just wish i could emulate it properly. CXBX-Reloaded is the best thing we got right now and thankfully it does play Jet Set Radio Future near flawlessly. You can easily complete that game with minor issues and add some enhancements on top. But i couldn't make Panzer Dragoon Orta function as well as JSRF.

Those are the only two games i care about on the system and the reason why it's still sitting in my garage.
You can play Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox One. It is backwards compatible.

You can play Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox One. It is backwards compatible.

I know, but i don't have one. The only machines i own apart from my gaming PC is a Sega Saturn and a original Xbox because i can't properly emulate them. Mednafen and SSF are good, but there's noticeable input lag compared to the real thing.

1420380_170x100.png

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Butcher Bay
Ninja Gaiden Black
Halo 1 & 2
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Dead or Alive most gorgeous girls in gaming at the time
Tony Hawks
Wolfenstein!
Burnout 3
KOTOR (not a personal fan but lotta people love it)
Mortal Kombat Deception
And even the odd ports like Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 weren't the best but weren't the worst versions either

Was a great time to be a console gamer. The last great time arguably. Also people say Outrun 2006 is good but I never got around to trying it.

For some reason you can only play the first Prince of Persia on the Xbox One.

I actually liked Two Thrones but Sands of Time is really all you need haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Krathoon

Butcher Bay
Ninja Gaiden Black
Halo 1 & 2
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Dead or Alive most gorgeous girls in gaming at the time
Tony Hawks
Wolfenstein!
Burnout 3
KOTOR (not a personal fan but lotta people love it)
Mortal Kombat Deception
And even the odd ports like Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 weren't the best but weren't the worst versions either

Was a great time to be a console gamer. The last great time arguably. Also people say Outrun 2006 is good but I never got around to trying it.

I actually liked Two Thrones but Sands of Time is really all you need haha
I ended up getting the Prince of Persia trilogy on the PC as a more convenient way to play.

Krathoon

The OG XBox is such a brick. If someone invaded your house, you could throw the Xbox at them.

They never made a mini version like the PS2.

Havoc2049

I still have a launch day Xbox in an Xbox branded backpack, that I haven't unpacked since the last day that I went to my last Halo 2 LAN party, back in 2005. Two Duke controllers and a cat-5 LAN cable are in the backpack as well.

I use a Halo CE edition Xbox for my daily driver.

Romulus

But OG xbox games on an OG xbox are not emulation. If the premise is that it's cool to play OG xbox games still then I agree but the case was made in the video that the OG xbox makes a cool emulation machine in 2021 not that the OG xbox is the OG xbox.

Now that you brought it up though don't most OG xbox games have a PC port? I always thought that the OG xbox was easy to emulate too because it was x86.

It's the opposite. OG xbox is very difficult to emulate. The whole "pc in a box" is a myth because the GPU was heavily customized. It's more difficult to emulate than ps3. And yeah alot them have a PC port, but many don't still.
It still remains a solid emulator too, especially because of the price and ease. 4 stock controller ports is a surprisely big bonus. I prefer it over my PC in alot of cases. Mine has about 40,000 games and cost me maybe $30 with every OG xbox game too.

Last edited:

Krathoon

My disc drive crapped out long ago and I installed a replacement. Surprisingly easy to do.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Did the OG Xbox have widescreen? I forget. It seemed like the logo was squeezed when I booted up.
There is an option for widescreen in the dashboard, then it depends on each game. Some support widescreen, such as Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Last edited:

Deanington

OG Xbox is my favorite consoles of all time I think. Such great gaming memories. It seemed so damn advanced at the time and the ui/menu was mysteriously cool. Huge fan of that system for sure.

Last edited:

intbal

It's smaller, lighter, and more normal looking than the Playstation 5.

Corgi1985

Banned
I'd recommend it over a switch

Last edited:
Top Bottom