• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The original Psychonauts is only 99 cents right now

Just bought it a few hours ago.

Now having my finger on the trigger for Prey.

sweating key and peele GIF

Thread Hijack:

Do you guys think the original Splinter Cell is still playable and worth $4.50? It's on sale too. Already got Blacklist and Conviction for $6 each.

Radiant Silvergun is also on sale.

Droxcy

Just got the VR game for 2 bucks so sick because you’re playing what happens exactly after the ending of the first one and it leads you into the second game! Fantastic way to get back into the vibe of the game.

They’re including a refresher intro at the start of the second one for new players who didn’t play the first but if you haven’t you really should give it a shot.

That cheap enough?

Haha yes, well aware of the discount sale going on right now.

It's not about money, it's wondering if adding more to the backlog is a good idea. I'm just wrapping out a new of Fallout 4 playthrough for the first time since launch, and I'm wondering if I could stomach another FPS game.

I likely will buy it, just giving myself time since sale ends on the 25th for steam.

Kuranghi

Haha yes, well aware of the discount sale going on right now.

It's not about money, it's wondering if adding more to the backlog is a good idea. I'm just wrapping out a new of Fallout 4 playthrough for the first time since launch, and I'm wondering if I could stomach another FPS game.

I likely will buy it, just giving myself time since sale ends on the 25th for steam.

Got ya, yeah I understand, I wanted to buy GoT: DC PS5 upgrade for my PS4 copy and then I was like, but realistically when will I actually play that and will it be cheaper by the time I do.

I have like five (5) recent games to start/finish which probably equal nearly 100 of hours of playtime and a bunch more smaller titles from the last 5 years years and I'm just replaying Dead Space 1 and 2 for no reason haha. Dead Space 2 in (downsampled) 8K is a sight to behold though so no regrets, the whole time I'm thinking "I wonder what this would look like on an actual 8K panel", so I'm already setting myself up for a future replay before I've finished this one :goog_rofl:

That said, Prey is fucking amazing, so definitely don't wait too long and tbh you can play it basically full stealth or just not really attack enemies and take your time so its not like theres tons of shooting in it.

Make sure you grab these mods when you do play, I got the first to get DS4 controller prompts and remove a pointless 2nd loading screen that adds 5 seconds to every loading event but its really good to make the HUD more immersive if you like that, you really don't need all the quest markers it gives you and its really fun to just wander around the maps discovering things:

This one is a must tho imo, its not in any way a game breaking amount but it rewards you way better for taking time to recycle objects, if you like playing that way. I really liked doing it for some reason, leaving every room bare ha:

Kuranghi

Rhombus of Ruin (vr game) is also only $1.99

I have no VR, you think its worth watching a playthrough of RoR on youtube or its gonna be a letdown without actually playing it myself in VR? If yes I'll just wait til I have a PSVR2 or the like.

I know most VR games are 100x better actually in VR but I wondered if this is more a sort of theatre for watching the characters interact.

elliot5

I have no VR, you think its worth watching a playthrough of RoR on youtube or its gonna be a letdown without actually playing it myself in VR? If yes I'll just wait til I have a PSVR2 or the like.

I know most VR games are 100x better actually in VR but I wondered if this is more a sort of theatre for watching the characters interact.
I watched a playthrough on YouTube and liked it. P2 will have a story recap anyway too

Got ya, yeah I understand, I wanted to buy GoT: DC PS5 upgrade for my PS4 copy and then I was like, but realistically when will I actually play that and will it be cheaper by the time I do.

I have like five (5) recent games to start/finish which probably equal nearly 100 of hours of playtime and a bunch more smaller titles from the last 5 years years and I'm just replaying Dead Space 1 and 2 for no reason haha. Dead Space 2 in (downsampled) 8K is a sight to behold though so no regrets, the whole time I'm thinking "I wonder what this would look like on an actual 8K panel", so I'm already setting myself up for a future replay before I've finished this one :goog_rofl:

That said, Prey is fucking amazing, so definitely don't wait too long and tbh you can play it basically full stealth or just not really attack enemies and take your time so its not like theres tons of shooting in it.

Make sure you grab these mods when you do play, I got the first to get DS4 controller prompts and remove a pointless 2nd loading screen that adds 5 seconds to every loading event but its really good to make the HUD more immersive if you like that, you really don't need all the quest markers it gives you and its really fun to just wander around the maps discovering things:

This one is a must tho imo, its not in any way a game breaking amount but it rewards you way better for taking time to recycle objects, if you like playing that way. I really liked doing it for some reason, leaving every room bare ha:

Aw man, I fucking love people like you.

Animated GIF

Thanks for the mod suggestions!

Started this today and can't put it down. I can see why the series is so revered now. I really have never liked this art style, but once you get acclimated to the world, it totally makes sense.

Game's pretty hilarious so far, and the light platforming feels pretty good even with how old the game is. Seems like there's an absolute ton of collecting to do, but other than that, I'm definitely enjoying it.

I definitely recommend people try this out ahead of the sequel. Pretty hilarious premise for a game.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Rayderism

Nice. Scales up to 1080p (the max res of my laptop), instantly worked with my Logitech F710 controller, and runs at a solid 60fps. And only 99 cents. What more could a person ask for?

This must have been included with gold at one time cause my Xbox library says I own it.
The Xbox version is using back compact and is the old 4:3 with black bars on the side.
Might be good to just get the steam version for high res widescreen.
Ill get the rhombus of ruin if it has a non VR Mode.
edit. Guess the 99 cent thing ended already.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. It definitely holds up. There are a few things I would criticize, like how you don't really use a lot of your abilities until the second half of the game or that the combat, while absolutely serviceable, isn't anything special... the only major issue I have is the last level. It flat-out annoyed the crap out of me for saying "RAAASPUUTIIIN" every 10 seconds and also some very delicate platforming that I thought was frustrating...

Other than that its a great game though. Unique concept, very creative and interesting levels, story and dialogue is enjoyable, I really dig the platforming, especially once you get the hover mechanic.

teezzy

Banned
It's crazy to me just how much money the original goes for on OG Xbox now. Like $60 or so. Might as well just buy Psychonauts 2 at that price :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Total gem of a game. I loved this era of 3D platformers.

Last edited:

elliot5

Just finished it. It definitely holds up. There are a few things I would criticize, like how you don't really use a lot of your abilities until the second half of the game or that the combat, while absolutely serviceable, isn't anything special... the only major issue I have is the last level. It flat-out annoyed the crap out of me for saying "RAAASPUUTIIIN" every 10 seconds and also some very delicate platforming that I thought was frustrating...

Other than that its a great game though. Unique concept, very creative and interesting levels, story and dialogue is enjoyable, I really dig the platforming, especially once you get the hover mechanic.
play psychonauts 2 immediately if you haven't

DaGwaphics

Thread Hijack:

Do you guys think the original Splinter Cell is still playable and worth $4.50? It's on sale too. Already got Blacklist and Conviction for $6 each.

Radiant Silvergun is also on sale.

Absolutely, especially if you've never played it. Great game, graphics might have aged but the core concept was at its best in the original trilogy.

Naked Lunch

It's crazy to me just how much money the original goes for on OG Xbox now. Like $60 or so. Might as well just buy Psychonauts 2 at that price :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Total gem of a game. I loved this era of 3D platformers.
Interesting how some people just need to have the physical copy. You would think the game being easily obtainable digitally for 10 bux or even one dollar it would drive the cost of the disc version down. This seems to be happening with all retro games.

teezzy

Banned
Interesting how some people just need to have the physical copy. You would think the game being easily obtainable digitally for 10 bux or even one dollar it would drive the cost of the disc version down. This seems to be happening with all retro games.

Even then, a lot of people are buying it just to stick it on a shelf rather than play it.

I used to be a huge retro collector during PS3/360 era, and the hunt for games was often more fun than actually playing them. Especially those found at grage sales and flea markets. Those days are long gone now. Glad I sold it all.

Digital is best đź‘Ś

Top Bottom