• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The one thing that pisses me about using a next generation console is that you are forced to use the internal hard drive to play games.

Derktron

Banned
I don’t if I’m an idiot in not understanding this but this pisses me off where you are forced to play games on internal hard drive. When the games are still universal for both Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S systems. I can understand if the game fully needs the internal hard drive or that expensive ass external hard drive that if you add an extra $100 you can buy yourself another Xbox Series S to fully function to play. Sure I can understand that but if games still come out for both generations then you should have a choice in where you want to install the game at and when games ONLY come out for current generation then I’ll stop my bitching about this nonsense. Sorry if I sound pissy but I’m extremely annoyed.

Bridges

I don’t if I’m an idiot in not understanding this but this pisses me off where you are forced to play games on internal hard drive. When the games are still universal for both Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S systems. I can understand if the game fully needs the internal hard drive or that expensive ass external hard drive that if you add an extra $100 you can buy yourself another Xbox Series S to fully function to play. Sure I can understand that but if games still come out for both generations then you should have a choice in where you want to install the game at and when games ONLY come out for current generation then I’ll stop my bitching about this nonsense. Sorry if I sound pissy but I’m extremely annoyed.
You're not wrong, it is kinda lame, but any game you have that doesn't have the "Optimized for Series X" signifier should be able to still boot from an external drive, you just won't benefit from the increased load times.

Their proprietary drives are crazy expensive too for how much space you get, hard to justify until they come down in price

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m not sure I’m following your complaint really OP.

Xbox and enhanced Xbox 360 titles play with their enhancements at native 1440p, from any external storage device. (On the S, they play at full 4k on the X)

Xbox One games play from any external storage device. (With X enhancements if you’re on the X)

Certain enhanced Series S|X titles play with their enhancements from any external storage device. These are mainly cross-gen games; Rocket League, Sea of Thieves, Halo: Master Chief Collection and Ori and the Will of the Wisps and more.

You can view which enhanced games can play from external drives by clicking pause/options on the game tile. If it says ‘console type; XboxOneGen9Aware’/‘generation; Durango’ then it’s playable from any external drive. If it says ‘console type; Gen9’/‘generation; Scarlett’, like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5, it’s internal only.

In my opinion the best thing to do is get a 500gb SATA SSD, a Samsung Evo or a Crucial MX500, and external housing for it. Store all your legacy titles on it and any cross-gen enhanced games.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Only X/S enhanced titles need the internal drive specifically for the SSD. Any thing else via BC can be ran on an external.

and unlike with the ps5 you can download S/X games to the external for storage purposes until you want to move them back to the internal drive to be played again later

I’m not sure I’m following your complaint really OP.

Xbox and enhanced Xbox 360 titles play with their enhancements at native 1440p, from any external storage device. (On the S, they play at full 4k on the X)

Xbox One games play from any external storage device. (With X enhancements if you’re on the X)

Certain enhanced Series S|X titles play with their enhancements from any external storage device. These are mainly cross-gen games; Rocket League, Sea of Thieves, Halo: Master Chief Collection and Ori and the Will of the Wisps and more.

You can view which enhanced games can play from external drives by clicking pause/options on the game tile. If it says ‘console type; XboxOneGen9Aware’/‘generation; Durango’ then it’s playable from any external drive. If it says ‘console type; Gen9’/‘generation; Scarlett’, like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5, it’s internal only.

In my opinion the best thing to do is get a 500gb SATA SSD, a Samsung Evo or a Crucial MX500, and external housing for it. Store all your legacy titles on it and any cross-gen enhanced games.
Wow didn't knew some enhanced X|S games could even be played from an external HDD.
Thanks for the information.

Glad I bought that 2 TB SSD for 130€

danowat

Banned
My plan, is it possible?, is to run X|S games from the internal, and just store the ones i am not currently using, but am likely to play again, on the external to save redownloading them.

I have 8 terabytes of Xbox One X and older games that all run fine from the external hard drive.

If the 1tb internal drive isn’t enough for you, there is the 1tb expansion card. It’s expensive but I’m sure there will be cheaper solutions eventually.

What game, in particular is giving you the problem? I just keep the XSX versions on the internal and everything thing else on the external.

if you don’t have the money for an external drive, you could research if a 128gb or 256gb usb3.0 stick would hold a few. You can get some of those fairly cheap. You could move the old games there.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You have the options to buy expansion card and also with Xbox (hopefully soon PS5) you can use external drive as cold storage.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SSD on console is exciting but there’s no logic to hard drive space every gen games get bigger and gamers have to match it.

SScorpio

I'll never understand why you people need 30 games installed at once.

Who said anything about having 30 games? The PS5 has 660GB free, XSX 800GB, and XSS has under 500GB.

Call of Duty Warzone is about 100GB. Destiny 2 is about 70GB. If you keep 2-3 multiplayer games installed and patched to be able to jump in and play with your friends you might be able to fit at most 10 other games?

A person who plays just a single game through to completion before moving on shouldn't have problems, but a household with 2-3 people playing different games will more than likely run into issues.

Amiga

1- security
2- in the case for the PS5 games, they are dependent on the internal mboard I/O.

NullZ3r0

Banned
You don't want to play off the disc. It would take tens of minutes to load a level. Modern games are just too big. All discs are good for is a delivery medium to install the game.

Knightime_X

So what happens when said game comes to PC and that PC user isn't using a mega fast SSD like in ps5 or XSX?
They just can't play that game unless they meet hardware requirements?

If so r.i.p PC sales for those games.

K.S v2.0

Banned
I would like to disagree but... eh... as someone who had access to a lot of the not-exactly-legal 3rd party devices for consoles during the 8 and 16bit generations in South East Asia... We... kindasortaprettymuch WERE doing that anyway.

Internal HDD/SSD, like it or hate it, really is the ideal way to play anything due to low latency, fast access and other similar reasons.

So what happens when said game comes to PC and that PC user isn't using a mega fast SSD like in ps5 or XSX?
They just can't play that game unless they meet hardware requirements?

If so r.i.p PC sales for those games.

Then the game runs like shit for ppl running on old hardware, simple as that. This isn't anything new and has already been happening for the last year. Look at Steam forums for any major AAA release that requires fast disk access and you'll see a lot of bitching/moaning/crying from potatoaster owners about poor performance.

And the general reply is 'cry harder' and 'buy a real PC'.

At the end of the day, gaming and technology as a whole will move forward with or without you. You can say 'RIP sales' but going by how PC gaming is growing... that really isn't true.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I understand it's annoying if you have bad internet but other than that, no reason to keep many games installed

Derktron

Banned
I understand it's annoying if you have bad internet but other than that, no reason to keep many games installed
I have the Xbox Series S and I only have about 5 games installed on the internal while the external is holding about 7 or 10 games. So you see where my frustration is at? It would've been nice if Microsoft at least added 800GB on the internal hard drive and the pricing is to get an external hard drive is almost the same cost of getting the Series S. But it's understandable why it cost so much it's a new tech and later down the line the cost will go down and such but right now it's ridiculous to force us to run games on the internal drive when the games can be played on the Xbox One. You get me now?

Derktron

Banned
PS5 and XSX games are designed to use the faster memory to work better. Why would that upset you.
Because you should have a choice to install it wherever you want when games are not fully next-gen. You get me now or should I kiss the conversation and say ohh yeah I agree to let me whip out $200 on a damn memory card.

Zambatoh

I'm quite fickle about what games I play at any given time, so I understand the frustration. I'll play one game one day and another day game the next day. So having to uninstall and reinstall games constantly grates on my nerves all the time.
On my PS4 internal and external, I keep roughly 60+ games installed at any one time and that's not even my whole catalog because I can't fit them all on a collective 2.5 TBs of memory here.

I absolutely dread having to jump onto next gen right now because of how terrifyingly expensive it is just to have even 1 TB of extra memory bolted onto the console hardware.
At this point, I'd rather just upgrade my PC and stick to that. Because I never thought I would ever say this, but PC gaming has actually become more convenient then console gaming. Especially when I can penny-pinch like a mother fucker to acquire some cheap memory.
I don't need any 4k/8k 120fps bullshit. Most games I have only take about 15 seconds at most to load on a HDD and I'm okay with that, because I'm a cheap bastard.

Banned

some Series X|S games run on external drives.

press the menu button on a game (the one with the three lines) and open the file information.

if the game says XboxGen9 Aware and Durango it can run on external.
that is a game that is technically an Xbox One game that is enhanced for Series X|S

if the game says XboxGen9 and Scarlett it is a 100% native Series X|S game and will only run internally.

also on Xbox you can always archive games on the external drive if your internet sucks and you want a relatively fast way to get it running again

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure this out.

So, games that are not optimized for my S|X cannot be played out off internal SSD or transferred? All of my gms that I f@#$s with are all stamped with the optimization badge and run flawlessly.

Just curious, would like to know.

zcaa0g

Banned
I'll never understand why you people need 30 games installed at once.

Because there are certain genres that have replay value due to the nature of those genres and it would be tedious to have to download/install/move them frequently.

Examples would be MMOs, racing, fighting, sports and FPS multiplayer games. I will never understand why people can't comprehend this concept.

For now....

SSD prices will fall. Updates will come out.

PS4 couldn't use an external HDD until like it's mid-life. I doubt this is permanent.

Plenty of reasons why.

Not wanting to have to wait for any game to install if you want to play it on a whim. Which could happen because I, a friend, or a family member could want to play a random game at any time. Why wouldn't I want my games available when I want them?

My PS4 installs a yer ago, has only grown larger.

Last edited:
Plenty of reasons why.

Not wanting to have to wait for any game to install if you want to play it on a whim. Which could happen because I, a friend, or a family member could want to play a random game at any time. Why wouldn't I want my games available when I want them?

FOLDERS, that video drove me nuts!

rofif

Banned
Plenty of reasons why.

You will have to wait for bigger ssd then

Fredrik

Are you sure about this OP?
I just plugged in my 3TB external drive with 150 games to my Xbox Series X. Then I moved the games I wanted fast loading on to the internal or expansion card but left the rest on the external. Haven’t tried all games but you’re saying the X|S optimized games wouldn’t start if I left them on the external drive? I thought that happened with X|S exclusive games only.

Last edited:

small_law

It's a growing pain, but I would much rather have PCIe 4.0 NVMe speeds than more capacity. I haven't booted a computer from a mechanical drive in three or four years and it's going to stay that way.

I actually got a 2TB Samsung T7 to use as an external drive for my PS5. After putting a bunch of PS4 games on it, I realized it would have been better to save the money for a 2TB NVMe SSD that can hold PS4 and PS5 games internally (eventually).

PS5 is a very easy console to love, but damn if it isn't rough in places. I was using a USB A to C cable with metal housings to charge my PS5 controller. I was plugging it in the back because both ports up front were taken. I went to unplug it and damn near burned my hand off. I have never felt a USB connector for USB port get that hot ever.

Derktron

Banned
I just plugged in my 3TB external drive with 150 games to my Xbox Series X. Then I moved the games I wanted fast loading on to the internal or expansion card but left the rest on the external. Haven’t tried all games but you’re saying the X|S optimized games wouldn’t start if I left them on the external drive? I thought that happened with X|S exclusive games only.
From what I noticed, the games I did try are X|S optimized would not run unless it was transferred to the Internal SSD of my Series S that's my anger. I think it's stupid that games that run on both generations forcefully need to run on the internal.

Banned

see my earlier post, there are 2 types of Series X|S games it has nothing to do with exclusivity but how the version was compiled.
if it was compiled using the Scarlett dev kit in the file information it will say "XboxGen9" and it's only playable on the internal SSD or expansion card.
if it's compiled using a durango dev kit and says "XboxGen9 Aware" it can run on external drives

Last edited:

gamer82

I install all my ps4 stuff to a connected external drive and just move them to ssd when i play. As i only play a few at a time Moving games doesn't really take long.

D.Final

Banned
I'm new to this

Top Bottom