• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

dave_d

Looking for 5800x vs 3900xt gaming comparisons at 4k, going to get a pre-order in for 5800x but might end up cancelling it.
Let me guess, they'll compare it to a 3800x even though the 3900xt is the price similar chip. (Kind of like how the 3700x is the price similar chip to the 5600x but they compare it to the 3600x. Admittedly for gaming it looks like it beats everything.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pre-ordered 5950 at BH. Hopefully, they're not taking more pre-orders than they have stock.
lol no, this is their business model. They’ll hold your money the entire time.

Mindfactory.de just started taking preorders... got one in for a 5900x for 549€ (+8.99€ shipping iirc)... Site is still "usable"... but 5900x is now out of stock. 5800x was still available right now.

First post to NeoGaf in... several years... hello again :p

PhoenixTank

For anyone looking at RAM, don't go chasing 4000MHz folks. Sweet spot still seems to be the same as Zen2 (3600/3733), despite prior rumours.

Editing to add - there does seem to be a BIOS bug on AGESA 1.1.0.0 which is possibly why rumours and early reports have mismatched. 1900 fclock was rare for Ryzen 3000 and it sounds like 2000 fclock will be rare for 5000.

Last edited:

reksveks

Let me guess, they'll compare it to a 3800x even though the 3900xt is the price similar chip. (Kind of like how the 3700x is the price similar chip to the 5600x but they compare it to the 3600x. Admittedly for gaming it looks like it beats everything.)
I meant the 3900x instead of the 3900xt but I am sure GN will have enough data for me, ordered the 5800x via Scan, now to check the reviews,

McHuj

lol no, this is their business model. They’ll hold your money the entire time.

Already cancelled and placed an order with new Newegg. I was lucky in that I was looking to add more ram and they had the exact combo I needed. Saved a whole fucking $7 on the deal.

dave_d

For anyone looking at RAM, don't go chasing 4000MHz folks. Sweet spot still seems to be the same as Zen2 (3600/3733), despite prior rumours.
That makes sense. I saw a video, maybe by AMD, where they went over the chip layout and basically said the IO section of the 3000 and 5000 of these chips has remained the same so I'd expect the same memory performance. (One big improvement is that you don't have to go through the IO section to get from one group of 4 cores to the other group of either 2 or 4 cores.)

Jezbollah

Scored my 5900X from Scan.co.uk

Took 10 minutes for the order to go though because they're getting hit HARD, but it'll be with me tomorrow pre 12pm. Pog.

Now, onto watch the reviews..

McHuj

Looks like the 5600x took ~10 minutes to sell out. The combos of even the 5950x took a bit to sell out as well. This wasn't the 3080/90 repeat. I bet stock will be replenished quickly as well.

5900x sold out almost immediately on Newegg, then the site kept resetting the purchase process every time I went to submit payment on a 5800x, now both are sold out. Amazon doesn't even have a page for either processor by the looks of it. FML.

Wunray

Last edited:

McHuj

5900x sold out almost immediately on Newegg, then the site kept resetting the purchase process every time I went to submit payment on a 5800x, now both are sold out. Amazon doesn't even have a page for either processor by the looks of it. FML.

Amazon has been a total shit show this year. Nothing shows up in their search for new stuff like Ryzen and RTX gpus. You have to know the direct link somehow.

PhoenixTank

That makes sense. I saw a video, maybe by AMD, where they went over the chip layout and basically said the IO section of the 3000 and 5000 of these chips has remained the same so I'd expect the same memory performance. (One big improvement is that you don't have to go through the IO section to get from one group of 4 cores to the other group of either 2 or 4 cores.)
Indeed it does - but this alongside how fast renoir can go, there was some hope that substrate changes or other refinements would improve it.
And yes, a CCX is up to 8 cores now - groups are at a CCD/physical chiplet level.

not-this-shit-again.jpg

Time to fire up distill...

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Probably over 200 people in line now. I'm amazed at the amount of people here. There is a frys near by and wonder what they have.

I have three Fry's within 30 minutes of me and they look like flea markets now (this was BEFORE Covid). It was really sad to see them liquidate all their product. This is in Texas, maybe they still resemble the Fry's from years ago on the West Coast.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

For anyone wondering whether you need one of these for 4K gaming... you can get 99.8% of the performance with a 3300X lol

Last edited:

McHuj

For anyone wondering whether you need one of these for 4K gaming... you can get 99.8% of the performance with a 3300X lol

I would say it depends on how well you tolerate the lowest 1% of frames.

Looking at Eurogamers review, the 5800x vs 3300x average frame are 78.2 vs 76.4, but the lowest 1% measure is 76.2 vs 44.3 meaning that you're 3300x is going to be dropping below 60fps and can't hold on to it a solid frame rate. If that doesn't bother you, then don't upgrade.

For myself, I find it very annoying when I'm playing something at a great frame rate and a game stutters like that. I don't find even gsync to be suitable to over come that.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I would say it depends on how well you tolerate the lowest 1% of frames.

Looking at Eurogamers review, the 5800x vs 3300x average frame are 78.2 vs 76.4, but the lowest 1% measure is 76.2 vs 44.3 meaning that you're 3300x is going to be dropping below 60fps and can't hold on to it a solid frame rate. If that doesn't bother you, then don't upgrade.

For myself, I find it very annoying when I'm playing something at a great frame rate and a game stutters like that. I don't find even gsync to be suitable to over come that.
okay yeah good point. I’m having a look at their numbers now. They seem to be all over the place for the lowest 1%

Last edited:

I mean, yea, but it's not just about 4k gaming but also maximum frames while gaming at 4k. Some games utilize the cpu more than others, so every bit of juice helps.

PhoenixTank

SantaC SantaC
Unless a review thread pops up, could you edit coverage into the first post?

Coulomb_Barrier Coulomb_Barrier
Sigh. Mailing you your cheque for 100MHz back again.

(The 5Ghz boosts for 5950X are real. Turbo boost figures with Zen 3 are an "at least", rather than "at most/maybe")

dave_d

Wow, the 5600x is already up on Ebay for $500-$700. If I could find one it sounds like the 5600x is a better deal than the 3800xt. (I can still return it and the cooler.)

Looking at benchmarks, it seems like the new ryzen's are meeting and sometimes exceeding (but sometimes not) the performance of a 10900k. Am I blind or are they more or less equal? If that's the case, then I may change my mind about going AMD if stock is going to be an issue for the foreseeable future.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG

Mhmmm 2077

I managed to order a 5600X in a different store, after the first one died (error 503), but now they have a warning that they are gonna be completing the orders chronologically and if they run out of CPUs... well, shit. I hope I was fast enough.

SLESS

I went with the 5600x in the end. All the benchmarks I read didn't justify the extra money for the 5800x. If cores become a constraint down the track will look at a bargain price 5800x or better. Very happy, cant wait ti drop it in my new build!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sigh. Couldn’t grab the 5900X despite being up and refreshing. Fuck Newegg for telling me to use the app. Never showed up.

I managed to get a 5800X and 5600X, though, via the website. Neither has shipped yet. Guess I’m stuck with the 5600X since there’s no return policy. I’ll probably contact AMEX for return protection.

Anyone with a spare 5900X order? Happy to sell my 5600X to someone here if the 5800X order pans out.

Damn Intel got roasted this time. Ryzen 2 was great but still got behind in a few areas, specially gaming. Ryzen 3 though... wow.

Also:

119126.png

That 7nm vs. 14nm difference.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sigh. Couldn’t grab the 5900X despite being up and refreshing. Fuck Newegg for telling me to use the app. Never showed up.

I managed to get a 5800X and 5600X, though, via the website. Neither has shipped yet. Guess I’m stuck with the 5600X since there’s no return policy. I’ll probably contact AMEX for return protection.

Anyone with a spare 5900X order? Happy to sell my 5600X to someone here if the 5800X order pans out.
I tried new egg at first. It showed up but was only available in these Gamestop-esque combos. Complete BS. I took my money to microcenter.

duhmetree

Hopefully 'next-gen' brings optimization for multiple cores/threads

Ryzen will be dominant for at least a year. We'll see how good Intel's 10nm is, in a years time. After that, it will most likely be Intel 7nm vs Ryzen 5nm.

Future is bright for AMD... Top CPU and starting to challenge nvidia. All new next gen consoles... TSMC wins in all of this :messenger_tears_of_joy: they need more capacity

Last edited:

SLESS

Hopefully 'next-gen' brings optimization for multiple cores/threads

Ryzen will be dominant for at least a year. We'll see how good Intel's 10nm is, in a years time. After that, it will most likely be Intel 7nm vs Ryzen 5nm.

Future is bright for AMD... Top CPU and starting to challenge nvidia. All new next gen consoles... TSMC wins in all of this :messenger_tears_of_joy: they need more capacity

I went with the thought that with the new consoles two+ cores are utilised for functions a PC does discretely. So when the next gen optimisation comes in the 5600x will shine.

The 5800x is an extra $250 here! #nope

if I’m wrong I’ll be buying another cpu

Top Bottom