• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

SantaC

og-image

The highly anticipated Zen 3 will be uncovered tomorrow by AMDs president Dr Lisa Su. The event will likely reveal the new desktop Ryzen cpus called 5900X and 5800X.

Leaks has been surprisingly sparse, so exciting times tomorrow.

Here is link to the live stream

The event starts tomorrow october 8th at 9am PST and noon EST.

What can we expect? We can expect IPC boost of 15% and a bump in clockspeed along with some architectural changes.

The process node is on 7nm+ or 7Pnm by TSMC. It is unclear if it is EUV (Enhanced Ultra Violet) lithography.

Zen 3 still fits socket AM4 as long as you have a motherboard with 4XX or 5XX chipset.

With this, AMD will probably tie Intel in gaming performance and blow them away in production.

Intels dominance in gaming might be in jeopardy for the first time in 15 years.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
First we had NVidia Ultra performance DLSS
Then we had PS5 liquid metal cooling
Next we have Zen 3.

Let’s make it a triple whammy for gaming, AMD.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Really excited for this reveal. Can’t wait to upgrade my 4670k.

Please give us new motherboards, too.

SantaC

I am wondering if intel is trying to drop some bombs tomorrow in order to counter this reveal.

PhoenixTank

SantaC SantaC
Likely N7P rather than N7+ given the backtracking/corrections from 7nm+ to 7nm in the roadmaps.

Thanks for the reminder - I thought zen 3 & RDNA2 were on the same day later this month for some reason!

SantaC

SantaC SantaC
Likely N7P rather than N7+ given the backtracking/corrections from 7nm+ to 7nm in the roadmaps.

Thanks for the reminder - I thought zen 3 & RDNA2 were on the same day later this month for some reason!
Uh oh that is a bummer.

N7+ with EUV entered mass production in 2019, are we sure AMD are skipping it?
N7P is essentially the same node as Zen 2 just with some improvments.

PhoenixTank

Uh oh that is a bummer.

N7+ with EUV entered mass production in 2019, are we sure AMD are skipping it?
N7P is essentially the same node as Zen 2 just with some improvments.
100% sure? No, especially with the resurgence of >10-15% gains rumours. Taking it a bit cautiously this time around, myself.

Have a gander at wikichip. There isn't a huge uplift for N7+ vs N7P but + comes with the downside of being incompatible with standard N7, as well as the EUV layers slowing down production significantly, IIRC.

No reason to rule out a tweaked version of N7P for AMD specifically either.

PerfectDark

Banned
Nothing to get excited about. So they announce it and set a release date. Then bots buy them up. And you won't see these cpu's in the next 3-4+ months. I just built a PC and have 45 day return window for my temp 2070 super and my i7 10700k. Just annoying on how hard it is to buy something right now.

tkscz

zen 3 all over my face lisa su

asn8Yo6.jpg

This picture makes me miss Iwata

Zen 3 has me curious. There isn't really an Intel chip to compare to right now as, outside of gaming, Zen 2 was still a bit better than Ice lake, and wasn't far enough behind in gaming to really matter.

Mhmmm 2077

HYYYYPE

edit: although I want to buy a 3700X successor, I don't need anything stronger and I think they will only showcase the highest-end stuff...

Last edited:

Hakiroto

What are you all expecting regarding price? Same as the original prices for the current generation?

I'm in no rush to upgrade as my 3700X is still going strong but it's good to know I'll be able to get one of those new beasts for my X570 board when I'm ready. I'm really happy that I went with AMD for my most recent build.

dave_d

Nothing to get excited about. So they announce it and set a release date. Then bots buy them up. And you won't see these cpu's in the next 3-4+ months. I just built a PC and have 45 day return window for my temp 2070 super and my i7 10700k. Just annoying on how hard it is to buy something right now.
Ahh back in the good old days of early September when you could get hardware. Anyway that's my worry. I've been putting off my build because I figured new chips are coming out no reason to not wait and figure out if I should go 10700k or AMD Ryzen 3. (Which I figured would be 4700x, looks like the comparable part is the 5800x.) Anyway the questions I have are

How well does it perform?
How much is it?
Can I even get one?
How much power does it draw?
Do I need a cooler?

Once I know that I can finish my build at the end of the month. Just need to get a RTX 3070, there should be no problem there:messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

dave_d

What are you all expecting regarding price? Same as the original prices for the current generation?

I'm in no rush to upgrade as my 3700X is still going strong but it's good to know I'll be able to get one of those new beasts for my X570 board when I'm ready. I'm really happy that I went with AMD for my most recent build.
I'll make a prediction the 5800x is 350-400 and the 5900x will be $500. (Mostly because the 3800x was $400 and the 4900x was $500 at release.)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm anticipating AMD pushing the envelope yet again. Going forward, I hope they remember their dark years and the mistakes they made that led them to that, as well as how and why they got back on top. I'd prefer them to keep those positive company policies from now on.

Chastten

Banned
Here's hoping for a good show. I'm not in the market for anything new as my Ryzen 5 2400G serves me just fine for at least another year or so but we need AMD to remain relevant and competitive to keep prices on an acceptable level all around.

supernova8

Banned
I'll make a prediction the 5800x is 350-400 and the 5900x will be $500. (Mostly because the 3800x was $400 and the 4900x was $500 at release.)

I get the impression they won't raise prices significantly. Intel has their market development funds. They could've gouged with the 3000 series but chose not to.

Last edited:

Ellery

Hi guys. upgrading from a i7 7700k to a 5900X. Just bought the X570 motherboard, new memory.. looking forward to tomorrow!

Good luck getting one. Not sure if they will be available tomorrow and how thirsty people are for new CPUs.

PhoenixTank

I just want to be able to pre order even if it launches in a month or two
Typically I don't think preorders are allowed but, in the case of the 3950X, after launch it was possible to back order and get in the queue for one from certain retailers. As opposed to the "lol no stock. Notify you and 800 other people?" that seems to be widespread on Ampere listings.
We'll see, though. All bets are off with Covid Logistics.

Jezbollah

Good luck getting one. Not sure if they will be available tomorrow and how thirsty people are for new CPUs.

Hi, yep as SantaC SantaC said - I don't expect them to come out till late October/Early November - but just to get a pre-order in as soon as I can for them will be nice (I have some time off then too).

Getting pretty excited to see what they have to offer!

GymWolf

My first amd cpu after a decade...

Of course if intel doesn't come out with something better or equivalent in the next months at the same price.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My first amd cpu after a decade...

Of course if intel doesn't come out with something better or equivalent in the next months at the same price.
They'll try. I don't have high expectations, but I hope they surprise me.

Surprise me in a positive way. (just in case there's a monkey paw around here)

regawdless

Banned
Very curious. Bring the thunder, AMD. I'm currently satisfied with my 8700k @5ghz. But if AMD offers a significant improvement at a good price, I'd seriously consider them as my next upgrade.

Top Bottom