• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Understood, gentlemen. I'll focus my attention on the Atticus, Eikon and Auteur.

I'll keep MrSpeakers on my peripheral vision as well, though my understanding is that his Flow line don't have very inspiring bass response.

I guess I just thought I needed planars to reach the next level of sound reproduction. I need to get that out of my head, I suppose. I've just seen so many glowing reviews of the LCD-X's (eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PveOboMyw4 and http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audeze-lcd-x-headphones/) that GAF being so down on them is making me so confused.

Does the "value" proposition not change at all given they are 30% ($500) off? Just want to be sure that even then their "value" is weak compared to the ZMF options. Sorry I keep asking; I just want to make a good decision here. Thank you for your patience.

I wouldn't spend more than $500 on the LCD-X. Especially considering the Aeon Flow open is only $800 in comparison and will likely be a much better headphone (reviews should be hitting soon. I'd check sbaf for measurements and impressions in the coming weeks)

I wouldn't spend more than $500 on the LCD-X. Especially considering the Aeon Flow open is only $800 in comparison and will likely be a much better headphone (reviews should be hitting soon. I'd check sbaf for measurements and impressions in the coming weeks)

understood. the aeon flow's have definitely been on my radar, though I feel like I read that the soundstage is a bit narrow. Maybe that was for something else. Anyway, I'll keep them on the radar. A lot of my hurry was because the X price was "for a limited time". So in taking those off the table, I'm no longer in any hurry to make a decision so I'll wait for reviews.

Thank you for the help.

Auteur is supposed to be some sort of HD600/650-sequel hybrid. Which is interesting cause Senn supposedly has the HD660 coming out which will be a refinement on the HD650. Then there's the Focal Clear which is in a similar wheelhouse. I dunno... given the price of the Auteur maybe it makes sense to wait for the HD660. The Auteur is gorgeous, but the 650 is still a giant in the headphone world all these years later, so it stands to reason that a (reasonably priced) 660 will pack some serious bang for the buck

Yea...maybe! I like my 650's but rarely use them.

understood. the aeon flow's have definitely been on my radar, though I feel like I read that the soundstage is a bit narrow. Maybe that was for something else. Anyway, I'll keep them on the radar. A lot of my hurry was because the X price was "for a limited time". So in taking those off the table, I'm no longer in any hurry to make a decision so I'll wait for reviews.

Thank you for the help.

Yea...maybe! I like my 650's but rarely use them.

That was for the closed Aeon. The open version is shipping in a few weeks IIRC.

LQX

Looks like the only place you will be seeing future Cavalli Audio amps is Massdrop. They're closing. I have heard great things about Cavalli amp but have never had the opportunity to hear one. Guess I will jump on the next drop.

He posted this on Head-Fi...

Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I would like to inform everyone that Cavalli Audio will be closing its doors on October 31, 2017.

I have worked to keep certain aspects (the best aspects) of CA alive after the end of the company.

The first part of this has been the work with Massdrop (as most of you are aware) to continue to make Cavalli designs available at affordable prices. When I was still considering moving forward with CA I had begun to create an entire line of lower cost, but still great sounding amplifiers. Though there are no certain plans beyond the CTH and Carbon, with any luck a few more of these new ideas can be made available through MD.

With the closing of the company, all warranties will expire. I realize that this will concern many, but the amplifiers will continue to be supported by a reputable service and repair facility. To ensure this support, Avenson Audio has agreed to continue servicing CA amps. Avenson has done final assembly for every big CA amp and currently do all the repairs to CA amps. Current owners will be in good hands if such a need arises. A link to their website is on the CA website.

My thanks to all of you.

Alex

https://head-fi.org/threads/cavalli-audio.862917/

leng jai

in your experience, which brands in the $1k-$2k range represent an acceptable value?

That price range is no man's land these days, hence the reason why the HD800 is the best value high end headphone there is by a mile. Somehow all these companies less reputable than Sennheiser just decided to just jump to the $2k+ price range for the sake of it, and people seem to by these super expensive cans without much question. Audeze is the worst for this, it's hilarious how they just came out of nowhere and started charging double for every new product they released.

Caleb187

I ordered the massdrop hd6xx, then decided to purchase the schiit modi2 Uber and valhalla2 for it. My wallet made a deflating balloon sound soon after. Did I do good or bad?

matmanx1

I ordered the massdrop hd6xx, then decided to purchase the schiit modi2 Uber and valhalla2 for it. My wallet made a deflating balloon sound soon after. Did I do good or bad?

You did good. Both of those amps will do the hd6xx justice although the Valhalla 2 has some very special synergy with it.

That price range is no man's land these days, hence the reason why the HD800 is the best value high end headphone there is by a mile. Somehow all these companies less reputable than Sennheiser just decided to just jump to the $2k+ price range for the sake of it, and people seem to by these super expensive cans without much question. Audeze is the worst for this, it's hilarious how they just came out of nowhere and started charging double for every new product they released.

I see. Unfortunately, the HD800's sound signature doesn't quite meet my needs. Bass light doesn't work for me.

ZMF Atticus or Eikon might be what your looking for then. If you want an open headphone the Auteur will be coming out soon.
Yep those 3 are central on my list along with the Focal Clears.

I continue to be discouraged by my inability to demo them. I hate having to make these kinds of purchases blind with high restocking fees.

leng jai

what are your primary genres? because everything I've read about this says they're pretty light on the bottom end.

So you've never heard them yourself? Not sure how it is these days but when I used to frequent Headfi a lot it was almost getting to the point of the HD800 having no bass becoming a meme (and mostly perpetuated by people who don't actually own it). I listen to pretty much everything outside of classical/metal/country and arguably use them more for movies/games. To be honest I can't really imagine it having that much more bass without comprising the soundstage/clarity.

I'm also running them off tubes which probably adds a little bit as well. I would class them as average in terms of bass, at least by reference class standards.

Some you've never heard them yourself? Not sure how it is these days but when I used to frequent Headfi a lot it was almost getting to the point of the HD800 having no bass becoming a meme (and mostly perpetuated by people who don't actually own it). I listen to pretty much everything outside of classical/metal/country and arguably use them more for movies/games. To be honest I can't really imagine it having that much more bass without comprising the soundstage/clarity.

I'm also running them off tunes which probably adds a little bit as well. I would class them as average in terms of bass, at least by reference class standards.

with respect, you're literally the only person I've seen say that. I'll go with the 100% of reviews and general opinions I've read on this one. but enjoy your 800s, fam.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I wouldn't say that the hd800 is bass light either after auditioning them, but they don't have that warm, enveloping bass that you're probably looking for.

you did real good. schitt stacks are good value for the money and the Senn cans are excellent at that price point by all accounts.

Yeah I wouldn't say that the hd800 is bass light either after auditioning them, but they don't have that warm, enveloping bass that you're probably looking for.

indeed you know what I'm looking for. 70% likely going ZMF. 30% Focal Clear. Just waiting for a few more reviews of the Clear and Auteur.

with respect, you're literally the only person I've seen say that. I'll go with the 100% of reviews and general opinions I've read on this one. but enjoy your 800s, fam.

What was the setups you have listened to with the HD800? I know Head-Fi is almost joke worthy at this point with the 800 and bass. I would not argue that it is a bass heavy headphone but a lot of the people posting reviews at this point seem to all adhere to this unspoken code of saying the same stuff.

I would not recommend you the 800 based on your preferences you've talked about. However he is absolutely right. The 800 slams with the appropriate gear. Doesn't change the fact they are still rather thin sounding on poor recordings. I'm not sure what your reading, as most long term 800 owners that know what their doing with gear will say close to the same thing as me.

I would not recommend you the 800 based on your preferences you've talked about. However he is absolutely right. The 800 slams with the appropriate gear. Doesn't change the fact they are still rather thin sounding on poor recordings. I'm not sure what your reading, as most long term 800 owners that know what their doing with gear will say close to the same thing as me.

The thing I have noticed about the 800 threads that pop up on Head-Fi. Most of the users are powering them with the strangest of systems and amps.

I am a die hard HD800 fan... But... (always the but right). I understand where people are coming from when comparing the headphone to other headphones as they are an acquired taste. With that said I do tend to believe a lot of people that post their thoughts on the HD800 then post the gear they run them with starts to leave cracks in the foundation of their actual listening experience.

wilflare

I bought a Schiit Magni3, Mimby, Eitr and SYS along with cables from Ghentaudio.

It's turning out to be an expensive month for audio.

leng jai

The thing I have noticed about the 800 threads that pop up on Head-Fi. Most of the users are powering them with the strangest of systems and amps.

I am a die hard HD800 fan... But... (always the but right). I understand where people are coming from when comparing the headphone to other headphones as they are an acquired taste. With that said I do tend to believe a lot of people that post their thoughts on the HD800 then post the gear they run them with starts to leave cracks in the foundation of their actual listening experience.

Headfi is a joke theae save for a select few members who actually know what they are on about. It's tiresome sifting through all the hypebotting and recycled opinions passed around from people who haven't even heard of the gear they're talking about.

I'm lucky to have a place like A2A that stocks almost everything aside from Massdrop stuff so I can listen for myself.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
QUICK!

Talk me out of buying the Bose 35 wireless.

I need sound cancelling.
I need foldable.
I need wired too.
I need iPhone support.

STOP ME

Zackat

I got the hd6xx from Massdrop. Been wanting to get a nice set of headphones for a while and figured that was too good of an offer to pass up. I am kinda new at this but figured I should get more educated on what else I should get to accompany them.

Any suggestions? I have read a few other places about the Modi 2 so that seems like an obvious get. Is the vali 2 okay or should I splurge up a little bit for the valhalla?

Thanks

I got the hd6xx from Massdrop. Been wanting to get a nice set of headphones for a while and figured that was too good of an offer to pass up. I am kinda new at this but figured I should get more educated on what else I should get to accompany them.

Any suggestions? I have read a few other places about the Modi 2 so that seems like an obvious get. Is the vali 2 okay or should I splurge up a little bit for the valhalla?

Thanks

Valhalla 2 will have a more expansive stage and realistic treble timbre, but other than that I prefer the Vali 2. The modi 2 and Vali 2 stack is an excellent pairing with the hd6xx.

Zackat

Valhalla 2 will have a more expansive stage and realistic treble timbre, but other than that I prefer the Vali 2. The modi 2 and Vali 2 stack is an excellent pairing with the hd6xx.

sounds good, thank you :)

gonna let my wallet recover a bit after buying a switch for mario and those headphones. Should be able to pick them up before the hd6xx get here.

Blitzhex

Are they objectively better than the 35s? Will they work with my iphone for calls?

Objectively better sq yes, even has high bandwidth bluetooth, but I think only android supports that. Not sure about iphone calls, but works properly on android. Might want to look up reviews for the previous model mdr1000x. The new 1000xm2 just fixes the headband cracking issue and adds an additional feature.

andylsun

any idea if there's an official part number or name for the Sennheiser 2-pin connectors (for headphones)?

I don’t think so. There’s a lot of compatible connectors on eBay but sennheiser only sell complete cables.

I’m thinking of getting a couple of connectors to make a balanced cable for my HD-565

wilflare

I don’t think so. There’s a lot of compatible connectors on eBay but sennheiser only sell complete cables.

I’m thinking of getting a couple of connectors to make a balanced cable for my HD-565

I'm trying to get Ghentaudio to help me make a custom cable but it seems like they can't source the connectors for me :(

Not looking for anything super fancy as these are for on-the-go mostly and when at work, but any good sub-$35ish headphone buds?

I had some good Beats headphones I got on clearance from Target many moons ago that served me great (clarity and bass were pretty great) but they are dying now :(

Not looking for anything super fancy as these are for on-the-go mostly and when at work, but any good sub-$35ish headphone buds?

I had some good Beats headphones I got on clearance from Target many moons ago that served me great (clarity and bass were pretty great) but they are dying now :(

If you don't mind IEMs the Meelec M6 Pro are my go-to for that price. The hook design is nice since they don't fall out when I'm exercising and if the cable gets fucked up over time you can replace them for $10 but they come with 2 in the package already.

Jabronium

I know I don't need them, but the LCD-2C's (and all the secondhand LCD-2's that are selling now ahead of it) and HD 660S have got my attention.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
currently under NDA on a pair of wireless headphones I'm testing out, but they'll be in the market soon and they're pretty darn good.

Top Bottom