• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch Was The Best Selling Console In The U.S For The Fifth Year In A Row.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Well, it should be and by now Nintendo are well past due to be putting more power under the hood.
It'd be cool in Nintendo did work up a console with higher output hardware but statistically they've never done well against their contenders when they played that game. It's debatable that Nintendo 64 was a worthy graphical rival to PS1 or Saturn. However, Gamecube was no Dreamcast, PS2 or XBOX. They need to stick with software IMO. Doesn't mean that folks like you and I wouldn't find a way to mod a Switch. I think any tinkering that can be done from a homebrew engineering level -- has been tried.

Orta

Banned
Consumers must be living in the Stone Age to keep buying this thing

chris-farley.gif

FZr2Bq.gif

brian0057

Banned
People be here treating one console selling millions of units more than the others like it's a personal achievement.
Apparently, everyone here is either a Nintendo or a Sony shareholder.

Last edited:

tkscz

Considering sales:

Gamecube: bad
Wii: good
WiiU: bad
Switch: good
Next Nintendo console: :messenger_hushed:
The pattern is Nintendo's attitude. They learn where the failed console went wrong and fixes the issue. They then get cocky and make terrible decisions with the following console. Gamecube was still holding on to proprietary media, refusal to go multi-media and online. With Wii they used DVDs (though not a DVD player and people already had one at this point), excepted online play and downloadable games and content and found a better way to sell it. With WiiU they tried to piggy back off the Wii by using it's name without realizing that the name no longer had the power and was littered with brand confusion due to how many products carried that name, so it came off as a very expensive peripheral. Most people didn't even know the damn thing existed. With the Switch they learned to make sure the console had it's own identity and you knew exactly what you were getting.

Switch's successor has the advantage over the WiiU in that the brand isn't over used and releasing it to the name of Switch 2 or Super Nintendo Switch and giving it more power/better features won't be a detriment. However it could face the issue of "but I just got the switch" due to how the switch is still selling. Though that would only hurt beginning sales. They could really shoot themselves in the foot if they ignore the issue Switch is facing. Say going with something like the Tegra Xavier for the chipset, sticking with their current analog stick design and dealing with drift.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If we lived in a sane society this would be winning..

qwXIHNu.jpg

But we live in a Lizzo world sadly.
LMAO. The only reason the Deck exists is that the Switch came first and has been successful.
Funny how a 800p LCD screen is perfectly fine for the 2022 Deck, but people were ridiculing the Switch for having a 720p LCD in 2017 when ”muh cheap phone has a 1080p OLED, lol Nintendoomed!!”

And you talk about sanity?

Yes because everyone wants a bulky portable that last 30 mins.
Atari and Sega really seemed to believe that, too.
Luckily the Deck has something people actually want - ie, games.

Anyway, the Switch IS long overdue a hardware upgrade. I am amazed that Nintendo managed to convince devs to bother making “impossible” ports for the system, and even more amazed that people actually bought those when they prolly had much better alternatives at home. But Switch is closing in to 6 years on the market, that’s a hardware cycle through and through.
I’m also quite disappointed that Nintendo themselves never cared to make the kind of smaller games that were the bread and butter of their handhelds. There’s more Fire Emblem and Pokémon than anyone could possibly wish for, but where are the Link Between World’s, the Chibi-Robo’s, the Layton-like adventures? The Switch needs quality in a budget, not only $60 games that most of the time don’t deserve the price tag.

Mozza

LMAO. The only reason the Deck exists is that the Switch came first and has been successful.
Funny how a 800p LCD screen is perfectly fine for the 2022 Deck, but people were ridiculing the Switch for having a 720p LCD in 2017 when ”muh cheap phone has a 1080p OLED, lol Nintendoomed!!”

Anyway, the Switch IS long overdue a hardware upgrade. I am amazed that Nintendo managed to convince devs to bother making “impossible” ports for the system, and even more amazed that people actually bought those when they prolly had much better alternatives at home. But Switch is closing in to 6 years on the market, that’s a hardware cycle through and through.
I’m also quite disappointed that Nintendo themselves never cared to make the kind of smaller games that were the bread and butter of their handhelds. There’s more Fire Emblem and Pokémon than anyone could possibly wish for, but where are the Link Between World’s, the Chibi-Robo’s, the Layton-like adventures? The Switch needs quality in a budget, not only $60 games that most of the time don’t deserve the price tag.
I noticed that, the Switch gets a lot of stick for it's 720p screen, but yet the Steam Deck gets a pass, seriously, you could not make any of this up if you tried. ;)

As for the hardware, I think it's not as much as an issue, when power was not a major factor in the development of the Switch in the first place. So Nintendo get a longer life out of the original, because it's main demographic cares very little about graphics or frame rates, or even if the latest triple AAA games are being released for the console.

Last edited:

Woopah

I have a switch but I never use it outside of the 1 or 2 games per year I play on it. I haven't really enjoyed many modern Nintendo games tbh. I think because the design philosophy of the switch reflects in the games. Absolutely hated BotW for a variety of reasons but my main gripe has to do with the quick play on the go mentality of the switch. The dungeons are bite sized when Zelda dungeons are supposed to be the main course.

It also has lead to some really terrible art style changes to some of my favorite game series trying to shoehorn the game onto feeble hardware. Disgaea for example, not exactly a graphical stunner. Compare how 5 looks compared to 6 and the vomit taste in your mouth never goes away. Now even if I decide to skip it on Switch it still looks like eye cancer on my PC. Xenosaga 1-3 (PS2 games) on emulators looks more appealing to me than any of the Xenoblade games from an artstyle perspective. Granted smaller environments in the PS2 games but the artstyle since the Wii game has been a direct result of compensating for weak hardware while wanting bigger environments. I have all 3 of the blade games on switch and Torna and none of them run well either.
But Disgaea 5 and 6 are both on Switch....

Dr.Morris79

Ouch, hurt you in the Nintendos there bud, sorry about that.

Deerock71

I like my Switch Lite.
Death Reaction GIF

Sorry. That's my take on them. I've owned all three (and there's still a Lite in my son's room). I just think you give up too much for just a pure portable. They're fine for what they are, I suppose, but I think the OLED destroys all other Switches.

OuterLimits

Love the games. Hate the hardware. Switch has a phenomenal library but this thing is the cheapest piece of shit.

My hardware aggravation has never increased over time with a console but the antiquated graphics and inconsistent performance combined with the flimsy-ness of the stand and the fact that I have had to purchase 2 pro controllers and 4 different sets of overpriced joycons to address stick drift is an absolute travesty.
Didn't own a 3DS I guess? Very good software(although Switch is far better) and even worse hardware.

Speaking of 3DS, the prices continue to skyrocket. I just spent slightly more on a New 2DS to replace a dying system than the Switch OLED costs.

TheMan

It's funny that gamers call for upgraded hardware but Nintendo keeps selling the same old shit like hotcakes what, 5 years later?

Woopah

Switch might win this year again, if Sony does not lower prices and Xbox does not increase Series X shipments.
Switch is on a downward trajectory and PS5 is on an upward trajectory. The paths have to cross at some point and I think 2023 is that year.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I don't get comparing the Switch power to the Steamdeck. One came out in 2017 and one in 2022...

Unless Nintendo has another SKU planned, I do think PS5 will prob overtake it, it will have Spiderman 2 and inventory.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
It is going to get very close to PS2. Plus the PS2 in the final couple years was dirt cheap and being purchased as a low cost DVD player by many.
The ps2 kept selling well years after the ps3 launched. I think the Switch will do the same once a successor comes out. Especially if they do crossgen development.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well deserved. Switch OLED is an amazing portable. I’m playing exclusively as portable and it is great. Titles I wouldn’t even heard of if not for the Switch. Titles like Chicory, Lost in Play and Tinykin.

If you like old 2D Zelda the you feel right at home with Chicory. If you want Pikmin but less strategy and more fun game then Tinykin is just fantastic. Lost in Play is a charming point and click adventure. All 3 perfect for portable play and perfect for the Switch.

Last edited:

Deerock71

qwXIHNu.jpg

I felt the same way about the Sega Game Gear. Having to replace the batteries every other day killed my interest in it; I learned my lesson earlier than you did.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is going to get very close to PS2. Plus the PS2 in the final couple years was dirt cheap and being purchased as a low cost DVD player by many.
Switch only needs to sell 30M after this FY ends to surpass the PS2, I see it's harder for it not to achieve it honestly, Nintendo would have to kill it themselves and let the demand unattended for that to happen... which well, it's not happening.

SNG32

We ain’t neva going to get a switch 2. If we do It won’t it will be the bare minimum to get a third of multiplat games.

MrA

Banned
Playing both sides, I see.
Smart man and/or woman.
Diversify, Nintendo's dividends tend to be juicier but sony's aren't too shabby either, I have positions in MS and like 30 other companies, I don't need no mutual fund (which are awesome if your not a finance/data nerd) I diversify that myself.

Death Reaction GIF

Sorry. That's my take on them. I've owned all three (and there's still a Lite in my son's room). I just think you give up too much for just a pure portable. They're fine for what they are, I suppose, but I think the OLED destroys all other Switches.
It was a gift so it's not like I had much of a choice.

shiru

Banned
Do you know what sold even less? Double Dash, with 7 million copies, however, they didn't feel the need to port it to the much-hyped and successful Wii.

And they could have done it with a brand new title, but that didn't happen because Nintendo is a shadow of its former self, it's laughable. What's even more laughable is that some people act like they're the few good companies in le evil modern industry, when that's clearly not the case.
That's because they didn't know its actual sales potential at the time. The franchise simply exploded on the Wii. They knew it was popular, but not 30m+ popular. Also DD wasn't very well received, unlike MK8.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

qwXIHNu.jpg

Listen, I like my SteamDeck - but the thing has the same flaws as the Switch with even worse battery life and a lack of physical games. Forcing the need to play each game once, online, to even play them offline is also a problem.

Reality is, Switch and Steam are two different systems that focus on different things and exceed at those aspects. This doesn't need to be some limp dick petty war.

Doom85

Also DD wasn't very well received

Sleeping Beauty Animation GIF

2nd best MK after 8. I think people were just too close-minded towards any follow up game from a title (64) they had built up so much in their mind. Also, it baffles me how people couldn’t wrap their heads around the switching mechanic, it wasn’t that complicated.

Hurahn7

Banned
All these people buying Switches, but do people really play their Switches? I don't play mine because newer games look and play like trash on a TV. Other people I know have Switches, but talk about games on their Xboxes, PS5s, and PCs. I guess it's just my circle of friends?

MrA

Banned
All these people buying Switches, but do people really play their Switches? I don't play mine because newer games look and play like trash on a TV. Other people I know have Switches, but talk about games on their Xboxes, PS5s, and PCs. I guess it's just my circle of friends?
Id say the number of used consoles is a good indicator of how many people are bored of the device, Currently there are about 4400 used switches on ebay, vs 2600 used ps5s and 10k used ps4s, given the are 3x the number switches as ps5s a greater portion of ps5 owners find it a dust herder than Switch owners.

Id say the number of used consoles is a good indicator of how many people are bored of the device, Currently there are about 4400 used switches on ebay, vs 2600 used ps5s and 10k used ps4s, given the are 3x the number switches as ps5s a greater portion of ps5 owners find it a dust herder than Switch owners.
Surprised by that number of PS5s tbh

Deerock71

All these people buying Switches, but do people really play their Switches?
Is this an actual question? How can you not wrap your head around the notion that not all people are looking for teh bleeding edge in graphics? YOU might look at a Switch game and think it looks hideous; another person can look at the exact same game and think it's beautiful. And, OF COURSE they're buying it and playing it.

Top Bottom