• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch has a major problem that I think will be a problem where porting games won't have any effort due to Cloud Gaming.

Do you like the idea of Cloud Gaming being on the Nintendo Switch?

• Total voters

cireza

Banned
Of course they will.

They will turn more profit off of physical/digital software.

The only reason a few of them are going the Cloud route is the Switch is underpowered, but it's not as profitable a business model.

The good news is if they weren't interested in the huge Switch market, we wouldn't even be offered Cloud games, because these games need to be scaled back too much to port.

When the new Switch comes out its third party support for physical/digital games will be even stronger than it is now, substantially so.
You should watch the video from Modern Vintage Gamer about the cloud versions of Kingdom Hearts.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Even Phil, the man leading a gaming division driving streaming, digital and subscription, admits that streaming is not a replacement for running a game locally. It should be an OPTION, not the only way to get KH, etc.

Streaming will ALWAYS introduce serious input-lag. There is NO way around it and never will be, it's physics. Also exchange pristine, perfect looking pixels for macroblocking shit? Never.

Kev Kev

No. (Also be aware of astroturfing accounts on internet forums...)

1. No amount of optimal settings will make up for a local, no latency and full media capability (raw local hdmi signal, VRR, local screen processing).

2. Nobody should wants cloud even when it becomes somewhat optimal because nobody decent intellectually capable trusts video game companies. I know gaming lobbies want to arbitrarily push for dystopian in which people pay the full price or more (without grey market and piracy concurrence which acts as market regulation against abuse), not to own the games you purchase.
Nah I’m fine with it

Can’t wait till everything is cloud and I don’t need to own any hardware and I can play it anywhere on any device. I won’t have to worry about having a PC or owning all the consoles, just a sub to a streaming service. The trade off is worth it, imo.

With the hybrid model that Nintendo went through I believe it can be an alternative but I don’t want it to compete with physical releases. It doesn’t make sense for a portable system to be locked by Wi-Fi availability.

mejin

It's an option. Devs are saying "if you really want, if you must play 3rd party games on Switch when there are better options to play them... OK, here It is. Enjoy"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Man, the major successes and the big games coming to Nintendo Switch really spook you guys.

Notabueno

Banned
Nah I’m fine with it

Can’t wait till everything is cloud and I don’t need to own any hardware and I can play it anywhere on any device. I won’t have to worry about having a PC or owning all the consoles, just a sub to a streaming service. The trade off is worth it, imo.

My sweet berry child, rushing into dystopia because you don't know you'll be a victim of it.

I mean if you're not a gamer ie. you only play CoD, Fortnite or GTA which I suspect you do, yes you'll be fine paying for a recurring subscription to access the same game while also paying micro-transaction without owning anything in the end.

But for actual gamers, this means the end of popular access to the medium and it's culture/backlog, it'll be worse than current Netflix. Thankfully some of us are smart with their cultural and digital asset especially in the wake of crypto and data-propriety laws.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

My sweet berry child, rushing into dystopia because you don't know you'll be a victim of it.

I mean if you're not a gamer ie. you only play CoD, Fortnite or GTA which I suspect you do, yes you'll be fine paying for a recurring subscription to access the same game while also paying micro-transaction without owning anything in the end.

But for actual gamers, this means the end of popular access to the medium and it's culture/backlog, it'll be worse than current Netflix. Thankfully some of us are smart with their cultural and digital asset especially in the wake of crypto and data-propriety laws.
well, that was weird

i think youre part of a small minority who is over exaggerating the consequences of streaming. 10 years ago id have agreed with you, but all ive experienced is benefits from streaming over all media formats. video games will be the same and the majority of us will be very happy about it

Cloud gaming is not for the gamers, it's for the businesses. It gives you nothing, it offers no benefits whatsoever (ok, maybe no download).

I don't even see why gamers talk about that.

These old games can be emulated at will on potatoes (or toasters)... No need for "cloud".

StormCell

I think Kingdom Hearts is the first time this has actually been a bit of a controversy, and we'll have to see how this progresses because I could see last-gen platforms getting the "cloud version" treatment going forward rather than the "PS4 version" treatment we're seeing with PS5 games today.

For starters, I bet the Kingdom Hearts games don't sell very well on Switch as cloud-only games. Cloud gaming is actually a nice way to access your game collection when you don't have access to your hardware. However, this is not how I want to play my games. Giving Switch cloud-only versions of games feels like you're only getting a small piece of the product. It's not an equal proposition with Xbox where you can have cloud versions of all your games, pretty much, if you just pay a little extra subscription fee. The point is that when I get home, I'm going back to 4K HDR with very low latency which ain't ever happening with a cloud-only version of a game...

My guess is that the longer Nintendo insists in remaining on OG Switch hardware, the more likely we are to see more cloud-only versions of games for stuff that could easily run on the hardware but publishers just don't want to spend the $$$ getting it to work. It's time to refresh the hardware before the Nintendo brand starts to take some damage again.

SomeGit

Nah I’m fine with it

You'll sub to multiple streaming services that will drain you of your money and will remove the plug whenever they feel like it. Also with streaming being popular get ready to wait in queue to get a change to play the game you are paying for, because unlike Netflix where ANY low end server can be a content server, game streaming requires more powerful hardware.

At least with digital, as long as your console works you can play the game and you can still play it regardless of how much other people are playing.

Kev Kev

You'll sub to multiple streaming services that will drain you of your money and will remove the plug whenever they feel like it. Also with streaming being popular get ready to wait in queue to get a change to play the game you are paying for, because unlike Netflix where ANY low end server can be a content server, game streaming requires more powerful hardware.

At least with digital, as long as your console works you can play the game and you can still play it regardless of how much other people are playing.
lol why are you guys so gloom and doom about this? its like you can only see the negative and refuse to see the positives of a streaming future.

its going to be fine, and its already happening. you can live in the past and stick to retro all you want, no one is forcing you to move on.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I get that cloud gaming serves as an alternative way to play your game while you are outside.
But I dont understand how someone will actually BUY a cloud "offline" game.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I see no problem with cloud gaming on Switch - the console cannot handle graphical fidelity on the level of PS5/XBX, what's the issue with having cloud infrastructure to give people at least some cutting-edge AAA games?
If we are doing a wider discussion about ownership vs. rental - it's something you have to decide for yourself. Same thing applies in some respect to physical - at some point consoles will not be sold, they will not have spare parts available, carts will start to age and fail. Same thing with CDs vs. vinyl.

SomeGit

lol why are you guys so gloom and doom about this? its like you can only see the negative and refuse to see the positives of a streaming future.

its going to be fine, and its already happening. you can live in the past and stick to retro all you want, no one is forcing you to move on.
Already happening?

Streaming has been flopping for quite a while, Stadia is in the lowest it's has been for quite a while even their biggest supporters on r/Stadia are already doing post mortems.
The only place where streaming has been, kind of succeeding is on complementary services like PS Now, xCloud and Geforce Now, where streaming is only part of the deal and even then the usage hasn't been out of this world.

We focus on the negatives, because streaming only is more problems than solutions. And so far no service has been able to change that perspective.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Already happening?

Streaming has been flopping for quite a while, Stadia is in the lowest it's has been for quite a while even their biggest supporters on r/Stadia are already doing post mortems.
The only place where streaming has been, kind of succeeding is on complementary services like PS Now, xCloud and Geforce Now, where streaming is only part of the deal and even then the usage hasn't been out of this world.

We focus on the negatives, because streaming only is more problems than solutions. And so far no service has been able to change that perspective.
its going through some growing pains but it is indeed already happening. its only going to grow from here and i believe itll be a better future than keeping everything physical or download based. there are negatives, sure, but im saying that the trade off is worth it, imo. i think you and others are refusing to see any the positives and only focus on the negatives, and hey man its your world do whatever you want.

SomeGit

its going through some growing pains but it is indeed already happening. its only going to grow from here and i believe itll be a better future than keeping everything physical or download based. there are negatives, sure, but im saying that the trade off is worth it, imo. i think you and others are refusing to see any the positives and only focus on the negatives, and hey man its your world do whatever you want.
Growing pains is the understatement of the century. FIFA 22 is after Cyberpunk the best shot Stadia had of any relevance, since it's mainstream million dollar seller that where the Stadia version was objectively better than the XB1, PS4 and even the PC version, since it's based on the PS5 and XBX/S versions. Like Cyberpunk it was barely a blip on the radar.

FIFA 22 has 6000 players on Stadia, even the Switch version has passed the 30k mark. FIFA 22 Switch is a reskinned FIFA 19 Switch which is in itself a reskinned FIFA 17 from the Xbox 360, not even based on the PS4 version even that is for the majority a better value proposition at full price than streaming the game.

You can keep saying that it's happening, but everything points to it NOT happening, not exclusive streaming at the very least.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Growing pains is the understatement of the century. FIFA 22 is after Cyberpunk the best shot Stadia had of any relevance, since it's mainstream million dollar seller that where the Stadia version was objectively better than the XB1, PS4 and even the PC version, since it's based on the PS5 and XBX/S versions. Like Cyberpunk it was barely a blip on the radar.

FIFA 22 has 6000 players on Stadia, even the Switch version has passed the 30k mark. FIFA 22 Switch is a reskinned FIFA 19 Switch which is in itself a reskinned FIFA 17 from the Xbox 360, not even based on the PS4 version even that is for the majority a better value proposition at full price than streaming the game.

You can keep saying that it's happening, but everything points to it NOT happening, not exclusive streaming at the very least.
again, youre only focusing on the negative parts that support your argument, but youre not even mentioning all the positives. ic an see the negatives and i feel its worth the trade off. it sounds like YOU dont want it and thats fine, but that doesnt mean the majority of the world doesnt want it, and it doesnt mean that the tech cant grow and get better/faster. it will. its starting right now and as everything in its infancy, its has some road blocks and growing pains yo overcome. but streaming is here to stay, whether you use it or not, and its going to be fucking awesome once its fast and functional enough.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's pretty clear there are 2 kind of people that buy the switch: the ones that want to game on the go, and the ones that want a legit way to play Nintendo games. For the former, cloud gaming is unbearable. For the latter that can't afford multiple gaming plattaforms, cloud gaming is a cup of water in the desert.

I urge developers to put their games on any plattaforms by available, because I know how painful it is to being unable to play a game just because you don't have enough money.

soulbait

This is one of the instances where speaking with your wallet will work. If not enough people do like these games, and they do not sell, then it will stop.

SomeGit

again, youre only focusing on the negative parts that support your argument, but youre not even mentioning all the positives. ic an see the negatives and i feel its worth the trade off. it sounds like YOU dont want it and thats fine, but that doesnt mean the majority of the world doesnt want it, and it doesnt mean that the tech cant grow and get better/faster. it will. its starting right now and as everything in its infancy, its has some road blocks and growing pains yo overcome. but streaming is here to stay, whether you use it or not, and its going to be fucking awesome once its fast and functional enough.
Why do you keep saying "you don't want it" and trying to imply I'm the minority? Did you even read my post?

FIFA 22 is a multimillion seller, it's the top seller on pretty much every platform it is sold, except the Switch. Even when the Stadia version is objectively better than what most people have access to, it's barely a 10k seller.
If the majority wants game streaming, well they sure aren't showing up.

The Stadia version is very good, it plays and looks great there isn't much tech is going to improve that even latency seems to be acceptable, but people just don't want it. They seem to want a reskinned 10 year old game more than the Stadia version.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Why do you keep saying "you don't want it" and trying to imply I'm the minority? Did you even read my post?

FIFA 22 is a multimillion seller, it's the top seller on pretty much every platform it is sold, except the Switch. Even when the Stadia version is objectively better than what most people have access to, it's barely a 10k seller.
If the majority wants game streaming, well they sure aren't showing up.
you use one game as an example and think the debate is settled? lol ok

its going to take a lot more games and a lot more time before we can call streaming dead or dying. its got a long road but i believe it will be bigger than physical or download in the long run, and i also believe the majority of the world will want it. people like you will still be doing physical and download, and have a love for retro gaming, but i think youll eventually be using streaming too. just a matter of time

SomeGit

you use one game as an example and think the debate is settled? lol ok

its going to take a lot more games and a lot more time before we can call streaming dead or dying. its got a long road but i believe it will be bigger than physical or download in the long run, and i also believe the majority of the world will want it. people like you will still be doing physical and download, and have a love for retro gaming, but i think youll eventually be using streaming too. just a matter of time
FIFA 22 is the top selling Stadia title as we speak, if that game is barely scrapping 10k, yes I'd call the debate settled for now.

Deerock71

I might actually consider this if they capped the price at 10 dollars. I'll pay for the effort put into it, but it's not very portable friendly if you have to be connected to play it.

Lognor

Banned
I like it. I probably wouldn't use it personally (although I did download the demo for control and was surprised at how good it looked and played) but glad that we have the option at least.

It is a big head scratching that kingdom hearts is cloud only. Those games could run on the Switch, but I guess se didn't want to invest in the port. I don't like that, and I hope that isn't a sign of things to come. For control, re7, etc it makes sense for a cloud game because those games couldn't run on switch. What's Kingdom heart's excuse?

If cloud gaming is going to be as big as some people expect then you all better get used to it.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Cloud gaming defeats the entire purpose of Switch.
I'm kinda agree with this, I mean I'm not going to cloud game on the go so if my choice are cloud or play a game on PlayStation or Xbox, why would I go with the cloud?

I'll get games on Switch to play handheld/docked but if my only choice to play it is docked & it's available elsewhere where it'll run better it doesn't make sense for me personally to get the cloud version

Derktron

Banned
That was on topic you said Nintendo was the only one doing it & I said Sony will also be doing it because it was in their road map.
And Microsoft too don't forget they are the front runner of this all. But still it's an afterthought.

Top Bottom