• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch has a major problem that I think will be a problem where porting games won't have any effort due to Cloud Gaming.

Do you like the idea of Cloud Gaming being on the Nintendo Switch?

• Total voters

Derktron

Banned
This could be a tricky topic but I think it needs to be addressed, so the problem I see with the Nintendo Switch is that there are too many cloud games that are on the Nintendo Switch. For me, I have a problem with it. Examples are that since the success of games like Assassins Creed Odyssey and Resident Evil 7 and yes I say success due to a certain amount of games being on cloud and more on the way. I see that as a problem, I think it takes away from the Switch and what makes the Switch the Switch. It gives leeway to developers to not put full effort in porting games to the Switch and yes you could argue that it's cost-efficient and yeah that could be the case. No denying that to an extent but let's be real does anyone here really want that to be front and center when it comes to developers porting over their games? I'm sure people would not like that.

I'm sorry but for me, I see that as lazy and no effort was put into the afterthought of the porting. For starters if the game can't run natively on the Switch then why even bother that hasn't stopped them before and yeah you could argue that it has to do with money and before you say that cause I know people will say that --- Well no shit -- but if games like the Witcher 3, Doom, Doom Eternal which to my surprise can run on the Switch better than my PC then why can't other developers put the actual effort or if not DONT BOTHER!! The Switch is doing fine without your games. The problem I see and it's obvious is that the Switch is portable and many places don't have stable networks. I could spend hours writing about the issue with cloud gaming and even though I like cloud gaming that doesn't mean I won't criticize it and my criticism will always be on Nintendo and cloud gaming. It has no place on the Nintendo Switch and if this is how the future will be on any future Nintendo platforms where developers don't put true effort then I do not want it.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is a problem. I just want to see your thoughts on this....and the list below I expect to grow in the future.
wDsDOX0.jpg

Source -- Nintendo Life

Codes 208

I hate the idea of cloud gaming on the switch for the same reasons i hated playstation now’s cloud gaming:

subpar and flux resolutions, considerable input lag and the general inconvenience of having to be online at all times (which is more problematic for the switch since a good chunk of what makes it the switch is its portability factor) plus nintnedo’s online netcoding is shotty at times so its never consistent.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I hate the idea of cloud gaming on the switch for the same reasons i hated playstation now’s cloud gaming:

subpar and flux resolutions, considerable input lag and the general inconvenience of having to be online at all times (which is more problematic for the switch since a good chunk of what makes it the switch is its portability factor) plus nintnedo’s online netcoding is shotty at times so its never consistent.
The idea of cloud gaming is good at least in my opinion but it should be treated as an afterthought and not the main thought when attempting to port any game to the Nintendo Switch.

Edit: word

Last edited:

Fahdis

You guys who are complaining about the Cloud have no idea how good it can be when the settings are optimal. As more data centers become available, more cloud services become popular, availability zones and regional businesses open up with the click of a button with snapshots, things will get crazy, fast. With 5G already in some countries and in others on the Horizon it is going to be the way to play in the future. I personally just got Fiber 2 days ago and I have 2 ms ping and 2 jitter... You can ignore it all you want but the cloud is the future.

Nintendo having the Mobile game space with AAA gaming all by itself can be a juggernaut unless Sony and MS also provide Hybrid products. Then the competition is on. Let's see what Steam does with the Deck first.

I agree, it's a problem. Thankfully I have PlayStation and PC for multiplat game options as well, but this isn't good for switch only gamers.

Also I was shocked to see kingdom hearts ps2 games as cloud versions?! Why?

Some of these you can kinda go okay, the studio probably doesn't have the resources and talent to port to switch such as dying light 2. But Kingdom hearts? What's next, gta vice city cloud?

Even though, WITCHER 3 was ported, on a full size cart, so dying light, Re7 etc. don't get passes from me either.

Codes 208

The idea of cloud gaming is good at least in my opinion but it should be treated as an afterthought and not the main thought when attempting to port any game to systems to the Nintendo Switch.
And that there lies the issue. I want to play games natively on the console

Wvrs

As someone who lives in South Korea and gets 5G unlimited data for $30/month, which works on the subway, hiking a mountain, in a tunnel ... wherever, really. I can cloud game on my phone anywhere and with hotspot, can do it on my laptop or Switch easily wherever I am.

Most countries' network infrastructures don't cut it, yet, but it'll become the norm very soon.

JimboJones

Streaming is the Switch Pro. Looks like its gonna be Nintendo who makes the biggest push to kill off physical games. Funny huh
Does any Nintendo game have a cloud streaming option though?
Nintendo is just letting publishers have the freedom to use this technology on the store Vs them actually investing in it like xCloud or PlayStation Now.
As far as I know Ubitus is providing the cloud streaming service for publishers on Switch.

Notabueno

Banned
No. (Also be aware of astroturfing accounts on internet forums...)

1. No amount of optimal settings will make up for a local, no latency and full media capability (raw local hdmi signal, VRR, local screen processing).

2. Nobody should wants cloud even when it becomes somewhat optimal because nobody decent intellectually capable trusts video game companies. I know gaming lobbies want to arbitrarily push for dystopian in which people pay the full price or more (without grey market and piracy concurrence which acts as market regulation against abuse), not to own the games you purchase.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Does any Nintendo game have a cloud streaming option though?
Nintendo is just letting publishers have the freedom to use this technology on the store Vs them actually investing in it like xCloud or PlayStation Now.
As far as I know Ubitus is providing the cloud streaming service for publishers on Switch.
Yeah but its the only console with titles ONLY available through streaming.

Best thing to do is just not buy them. I've never bought a cloud game in my life.

Xcloud is a great convenience as a free bonus. 99% of the time Im not even using it for free though.

onQ123

It's actually a good problem to have because the games are being made to a spec above the hardware that is on the market & most likely this spec is the next version of the Switch so it will have a large library whenever it is released.

Skifi28

It's actually a good problem to have because the games are being made to a spec above the hardware that is on the market & most likely this spec is the next version of the Switch so it will have a large library whenever it is released.
The games most likely just run off a PC, you want automatically get them natively on a more powerful switch.

BlackTron

I'm not interested in cloud gaming, but most of these titles would not work on Switch if it was not being streamed. Some are just no chance, like AC Odyssey. It's have it on cloud, or not at all. I mean maybe they could do it but god the game would be BUTCHERED.

Others, it's rather annoying I would prefer a local version like PSO. But being an online game, it's not like you aren't going to need internet to play it to begin with.

I honestly don't see it as a huge problem. Playing these types of games on Switch means there is going to be a compromise. The compromise can take different forms, in this case, it's having to stream the game. I don't see it as a problem because these games are all available elsewhere if you want to play it a different/better way.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Third party needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs third party at this point.

It's not really a problem at all.

If the cloud games don't sell we'll see full fledged ports.

Especially when the Switch 2 comes out. Or we'll have the option for both because third parties like money.

Third party non-cloud games are doing very well on Switch.

MH Rise just sold 7.5 million copies, GTA is on the way. Switch is the #1 console for indies.

The market is 100 million strong already and going to beat the record for best selling platform if it stays on the market long enough.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would never, ever "buy" the right to stream a game. If I ever do try this, it needs to be through an all-you-can-eat subscription.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Publishers deciding to go the Cloud route obviously won't make ports. It is either this, or nothing.
Of course they will.

They will turn more profit off of physical/digital software.

The only reason a few of them are going the Cloud route is the Switch is underpowered, but it's not as profitable a business model.

The good news is if they weren't interested in the huge Switch market, we wouldn't even be offered Cloud games, because these games need to be scaled back too much to port.

When the new Switch comes out its third party support for physical/digital games will be even stronger than it is now, substantially so.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd only trust could gaming if it came from an established store front like Steam. I just don't trust the longevity of other offerings.

Fahdis

No. (Also be aware of astroturfing accounts on internet forums...)

1. No amount of optimal settings will make up for a local, no latency and full media capability (raw local hdmi signal, VRR, local screen processing).

2. Nobody should wants cloud even when it becomes somewhat optimal because nobody decent intellectually capable trusts video game companies. I know gaming lobbies want to arbitrarily push for dystopian in which people pay the full price or more (without grey market and piracy concurrence which acts as market regulation against abuse), not to own the games you purchase.

1. It doesn't matter what you feel or think about subjectively of the cloud. Once you hit 3rd world countries with Subs that are $4.99 a month over a $2-3K investment. It's over. All you need is a controller and a Chrome browser which is free. A $60 investment and that's if you don't borrow from a friend or cheaper brands. If latency speeds get better in the next decade... well then.

2. You don't own the games you purchase already since the digital era started. You buy a license to play your games. If no one trusts companies, why do you guys keep buying from them? EA being the biggest con job of them all does exceptionally well even being one of the worst company in the world.

Also post #11. Gaming on the go. You just can't beat that value proposition W Wvrs

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
The reason third parties are doing everything in their power to get on the underpowered Switch, even with their next gen software on cloud, is because the Ninendo has such a commanding marketshare and installbase.

Third party needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs them and this generation with the Switch, and Nintendo's first party games on top of the industry, third parties have finally realized it. This is why even Rockstar is getting on board now. They are all working with Nintendo again for the first time since the SNES era, but the fact remains, Nintendo has already sold 100 million Switch's off the backs of their own first party games.

This is because Nintendo consolidated all of their first party development power to one platform.

Nothing can stop them so everyone has given up trying.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I said the games are being made to a spec & I'm pretty sure Nintendo know the specs of the server blades they are using
The games are most likely the PC version running on a PC server blade. I'm sure they know the specs, but it doesn't change much. Whenever they do a switch successor, it won't have off the shelf PC parts and everything will have to be ported from zero.

Rat Rage

I don't like Cloud gaming. Any game that can run on the Switch natively, should not be offered as a cloud version. However, if there are games that are absolutely impossible to run on the Switch, I don't have a problem with them being offered as a Cloud Version.

Astral Dog

Its a tricky situation, but its NOT because '🤬LAZY DEVELOPERS!!! ' simply the Switch is a popular system, but it can't run all the latest games natively and at an acceptable quality, Nintendo and third parties found a solution: Cloud game versions.

I don't like them either but its a compromise until more advanced Switch hardware is out, and no there are very few games on Cloud 99% of the Switch library is native.

I do expect games like RE7, Kingdom Hearts to come out eventually on Switch 2 and not stay Cloud forever, but for now there is an option if you really need to play those games on Switch

There is no way Kingdom Hearts 3 would come to the system otherwise

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
. However, if there are games that are absolutely impossible to run on the Switch, I don't have a problem with them being offered as a Cloud Version.
I'm against this, if devs can't figure out how to port their games to Nintendo Switch then why even bother? Nintendo has been fine for decades without those games

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The cloud games currently on switch perform with no issues (for me at any rate) when you have a capable internet connection.

When folks call devs “lazy” for not trying to port their games to certain platforms it reeks of ignorance. The first 6 years of my career in the industry was porting next gen titles to current/last gen consoles…there is nothing lazy about making great ports of great games.

The Witcher 3 is not resident evil 7 by any stretch of the imagination, and the effort required to port one title onto a platform doesn’t translate to the process for porting other titles.

The publishers are taking the feasible route to getting their titles onto target platforms (in this case the switch).

Money does not equal time and/or hardware miracles, which I can see being the core issue in porting those titles to the platform VS streaming them.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Their biggest problem is the list of games they're making available, IMO. It's not that great and I don't see what would compel people to pay for it. If people want cloud gaming I don't see any reason to oppose it, but I'd want it to be inexpensive and have games that I want to play.

Impotaku

Streaming goes under the same bullshit as gaas, i'll never touch either don't care how fancy the game is that comes out. If i'm paying money it's on a one & done transaction i'm not paying for no glorified rental that can be shut off on the whim of a dev. There are enough quality titles on the switch that are much more worthy of my money, ones that i can play & own no matter what. None of this, you only own a license to play you don't really own it bullshit.

Notabueno

Banned
1. It doesn't matter what you feel or think about subjectively of the cloud. Once you hit 3rd world countries with Subs that are $4.99 a month over a $2-3K investment. It's over. All you need is a controller and a Chrome browser which is free. A $60 investment and that's if you don't borrow from a friend or cheaper brands. If latency speeds get better in the next decade... well then.

2. You don't own the games you purchase already since the digital era started. You buy a license to play your games. If no one trusts companies, why do you guys keep buying from them? EA being the biggest con job of them all does exceptionally well even being one of the worst company in the world.

Also post #11. Gaming on the go. You just can't beat that value proposition W Wvrs

I'm hesitating to report you because:

1. No legit, self-thinking agent ever sprout the rationalisation you do.

2. You're either blatantly lying and spreading misinformation or don't know anything about laws and licences: you absolutely OWN games your purchase in the digital era under the same centuries old laws that back up intellectual propriety, copyright exploitation and individual propriety. You ALWAYS were buying a licence and never an object nor it's content: when you buy a physical book, vinyl or dvd you were never purchasing an object since if it's empty it has no value, nor were you buying the content which is protected IP. You were always buying a contract or licence of unlimited access and usage of a copy of a specific product.

Digital didn't change anything about that and that's why many platforms were condemned by tribunals and don't even bother, even in the US trying that otherwise (random example: Facebook, which is one of the most evil companies, wanted to remove the Marvel game from the Oculus platform, and at first they tried to issue a compulsory refund, not because they're nice or of for the consumer, but because they know that by law this would be theft to remove content without refund, except they weren't even respecting the law: it's illegal to even remove any purchased content or prevent access at least outside of the US to any content and refund can only be issue with the consent of the purchaser, which is why they did because that's the law).

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I'll accept cloud when internet is 200+mps for like $20 FOR THE MAJORITY and no data caps at all.
Oh and clouds games are dirt cheap like $10 monthly subscription.

Otherwise cloud gaming can go fuck itself.

Ryu Kaiba

This could be a tricky topic but I think it needs to be addressed, so the problem I see with the Nintendo Switch is that there are too many cloud games that are on the Nintendo Switch. For me, I have a problem with it. Examples are that since the success of games like Assassins Creed Odyssey and Resident Evil 7 and yes I say success due to a certain amount of games being on cloud and more on the way. I see that as a problem, I think it takes away from the Switch and what makes the Switch the Switch. It gives leeway to developers to not put full effort in porting games to the Switch and yes you could argue that it's cost-efficient and yeah that could be the case. No denying that to an extent but let's be real does anyone here really want that to be front and center when it comes to developers porting over their games? I'm sure people would not like that.

I'm sorry but for me, I see that as lazy and no effort was put into the afterthought of the porting. For starters if the game can't run natively on the Switch then why even bother that hasn't stopped them before and yeah you could argue that it has to do with money and before you say that cause I know people will say that --- Well no shit -- but if games like the Witcher 3, Doom, Doom Eternal which to my surprise can run on the Switch better than my PC then why can't other developers put the actual effort or if not DONT BOTHER!! The Switch is doing fine without your games. The problem I see and it's obvious is that the Switch is portable and many places don't have stable networks. I could spend hours writing about the issue with cloud gaming and even though I like cloud gaming that doesn't mean I won't criticize it and my criticism will always be on Nintendo and cloud gaming. It has no place on the Nintendo Switch and if this is how the future will be on any future Nintendo platforms where developers don't put true effort then I do not want it.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is a problem. I just want to see your thoughts on this....and the list below I expect to grow in the future.
wDsDOX0.jpg

Source -- Nintendo Life
You repeat yourself too much.

ParaSeoul

Sony is also supposed to make some cloud games I'm not sure what happened with that though. It will probably happen closer to the end of PS5 generation I guess.
"B-but Sony!" Nintendo is doing it in the here and now already. Stay on topic.

Fahdis

I'm hesitating to report you because:

1. No legit, self-thinking agent ever sprout the rationalisation you do.

2. You're either blatantly lying and spreading misinformation or don't know anything about laws and licences: you absolutely OWN games your purchase in the digital era under the same centuries old laws that back up intellectual propriety, copyright exploitation and individual propriety. You ALWAYS were buying a licence and never an object nor it's content: when you buy a physical book, vinyl or dvd you were never purchasing an object since if it's empty it has no value, nor were you buying the content which is protected IP. You were always buying a contract or licence of unlimited access and usage of a copy of a specific product.

Digital didn't change anything about that and that's why many platforms were condemned by tribunals and don't even bother, even in the US trying that otherwise (random example: Facebook, which is one of the most evil companies, wanted to remove the Marvel game from the Oculus platform, and at first they tried to issue a compulsory refund, not because they're nice or of for the consumer, but because they know that by law this would be theft to remove content without refund, except they weren't even respecting the law: it's illegal to even remove any purchased content or prevent access at least outside of the US to any content and refund can only be issue with the consent of the purchaser, which is why they did because that's the law).

Lmfao... look at your self entitled attitude. Tell me where you were hurt. I'll send you a bandaid.

1. I mean fuck dude, if you're going to attack my agency and rationalization at least fucking try out the products before threats. Where would you put this one under? A report for what? You being a condescending dumbass? I mean you wanna spend $5K on the following, be my guest;

- GPU
- CPU
- PSU
- Motherboard
- RAM
- CPU Cooler
- Chassis
- Monitor
- Keyboard
- Mouse
- A Table
- Windows 10
- Internet Connection
- Electricity Bill
- A Controller (Optional)
- Games

Which 1st World Country do you come from where you think this is the norm in other countries where people have equal accessibility? You can resist with your hardware stupidity and fidelity all you want, its not going to change the coming landscape of gaming. Talk to me in 10 years when you cry about 10 TB speeds and playing games on a Data Center from your closest AZ.

2. So you're agreeing with me dumbass 😑 digital era literally means at the age of buying shit online like starting with books on Amazon. Don't tell me about Digital Copyright Laws. Btw, do download PT again even if you had it before. There's a EULA for everything these days.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Ironically, the only time I had a good cloud experience was the Control demo on switch. I still hate the idea and won't support it.

I only own a switch for exclusives though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom