• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next three years of the PlayStation 5...

The problem is how Covid would complicate in releasing these games. Considering that PS5's are still selling out even now and will probably continue to do so until sometime in 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony decided to make the decision in 2022 to port their games to ps4 as well for 2023.

Well Herman did mention that the PS5 exclusives would be technical showcases. With that said Sony still needs more of them throughout the next few years. People still need a reason to upgrade.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I can't say I'm looking forward to what comes out of most of those studios.

-Gran Turismo is a force of habit purchase but I have no expectations for when it will be out.
-A full fledged Astrobot would be welcome.
-As much as I liked the previous two Spider-Man's, I'm just not ready for another especially if the time period/city are the same.
I agree on Spiderman. I played both of them in the last 2 years. I liked MM as a PS5 showcase and I liked how it was short. I played the free First Ratchet and then the new one, but I could easily play another one of those at launch. Spiderman would be something I get used and only if nothing else is available. I hope Insomniac can develop a new IP.

yurinka

What is the roadmap here? I want to know, what are the 25 games Sony talked about? Or is that a secret for a big event?
He didn't say 25 games, he said 'OVER 25 games'. Very likely the 23 posted in the OP plus GoT Director's Cut, Death Stranding and a few unannounced ones, like some Bluepoint project (Metal Gear Solid?) and the Uncharted spinoff that ND and Bend were working on until Bend left the project to to focus on their new IP (we don't know i it's cancelled or if ND is still working on it). PSVR is coming 2022 or 2023, so pretty likely they may have some 1st and 2nd party additional PSVR2 games targeting its release window.

Industry shifting? As good as ND are that's simply an overstatement. UE5 is industry shifting, it will lead technology in games for years to come.
Sony delivers with stunning visuals almost every year with their own engines, they are Rockstar are the top dogs. Last year we technical marvels like TLOU2 or Dreams, this year Ratchet or Horizon, next year GoW and so on. The last industry shifting UE game was the first Gears of War. Sony will do their equivalent -if not better- Nanite and Lumen tech, and pretty likely before we see an UE5 taking full advantage of it.

Yeah, too much multiplayer shit for my taste.
Many of the games are listed as multiplayer because there has been a job offer asking for multiplayer stuff. But maybe it's for a game mostly focused on single player with a secondary multiplayer game mode, as Sony did many times before.

Will most of these games be coming out at the end of the console lifecycle/after the pro like what happened with the PS4?
No. This year they will release at least GoT DC, Death Stranding DC, Horizon 2 and the Uncharted 4 PC port. Next year they will release at least God of War, Gran Turismo 7 and pretty likely the next Insomniac game (Spider-Man 2 maybe?).

Pretty likely next year we may also see TLOU2 PS5+TLOU1 remake bundle (several years under development) and we may get games started to be developed in 2018 like Guerrilla's multiplayer game with the Rainbow Six Siege creative director. Plus who knows if some surprise game from Pixel Opus, Quantic Dream, Bluepoint, London, Asobi, Arrowhead or any other random 2nd party studio (plus PSVR2 games if released in 2022). Mostly all of these games that aren't released in 2022 will be released in 2023 plus maybe a Media Molecule small game, another Insomniac game plus more games.

Last edited:
C'mon man. It's the same fucking game as spiderman with a different character. It's DLC, the fact that they decided to sell it as stand alone doenst make a difference. Treating Miles Morales as a full game makes you look stupid. That's like saying The last of us left behind was a full game when it clearly wasn't.

No, it's like saying Uncharted Lost Legacy was a full game, which it was.

But like I already said, ignoring your retarded take on Miles Morales, junior.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I had 20 Sony published games for the PS4 generation that I played and completed even though 6 of them, I could have easily passed on and nothing of value would have been lost so overall 14 games. I'm expecting to get around the same this generation. I figure 1-2 exclusives for me a year for a total of 6/12 or 8/16 depending on if the generation lasts 6 or 8 years.

NahaNago

Well Herman did mention that the PS5 exclusives would be technical showcases. With that said Sony still needs more of them throughout the next few years. People still need a reason to upgrade.
Those technical showcases usually come from Naughty Dog and SSM. Naughty Dog are already working on last of us remake and last of us multiplayer right now. Sony Santa Monica are currently working on God of War. Insomniac's next spiderman is possibly a next gen exclusive but that is still a maybe, plus they have just released ratchet and miles morales games. Sucker Punch just released got last year and expansion will be released this year so maybe they have started on something new right now. I think our best bet is the Bend Studio creating a next gen only game.

Last edited:
Those technical showcases usually come from Naughty Dog and SSM. Naughty Dog are already working on last of us remake and last of us multiplayer right now. Sony Santa Monica are currently working on God of War. Insomniac's next spiderman is possibly a next gen exclusive but that is still a maybe, plus they have just released ratchet and miles morales games. Sucker Punch just released got last year and expansion will be released this year so maybe they have started on something new right now. I think our best bet is the Bend Studio creating a next gen only game.

Or maybe the Last of Us being remade for the PS5 if that ends up being true. I could definitely see something like that taking good advantage of the hardware. It wouldn't be just a simple PS4 port.

NikuNashi

Just to compare, 343 over at Microsoft has about 750 employees. Maybe having that many employees really does stifle certain aspects of the development process.

In any case, I'm expecting some bangers from these studios in the next 3 years.

250 of those are probably diversity hire seat warmers that contribute diversity but little else. Sony hires talent, shows in the quality.

yurinka

I figure 1-2 exclusives for me a year for a total of 6/12 or 8/16 depending on if the generation lasts 6 or 8 years.
Even if new consoles get released every 7 years, Sony home consoles get supported during 10+ years.

The thing is that Sony lacks heavily in Japenese 1st party games department, if they won't do anything about it they will start loosing their ADN in the long run, and i don't feel this will improve with Hermen Hulst in charge as this guy seems only interested into porting playstation games on PC, this guy should go work on valve or Epic, he is right now at Sony in the wrong place obviously.
Lies.

Sony's sales and quality never relied on 1st party Japanese games department. 1st party game are a small part of the total PlayStation game same sales (they get their most money from 3rd party games) and even inside the Sony internal games the top sales and quality mostly came from the west.

They have Polyphony and Asobi/Japan Studio plus got PS4 2nd or 3rd party exclusive from basically every known 3rd party Japanese publisher or studio. They said they will have more exclusives than ever and that are specially interested on Japanese ones both in 2nd and 3rd party sides. Plus they are working on acquisitions and they are rumored to be negotiating the Arc System Works acquisition.

Their first party games are selling better than ever and are getting more GOTY awards than ever and release every year more green metacritic and GOTY candidate exclusives than Nintendo and Microsoft combined. And are growing their internal 1st party teams and 2nd party management (XDEV) team.

They are also selling consoles at gaming history record levels (plus PS4 for what more games has been sold) and are selling out every new shipment in a few minutes even if we're in the middle of a huge global pandemic, economic crysis and chip sortage. Hermen and the PlayStation team are doing a fantastic job and are doing the proper investments to improve in the near future.

Guerrilla and Insomniac are also top togs tech wise. Look at the Horizon 2 trailers or Ratchet. They are the best looking games we saw until now, even if Horizon 2 will be crossgen.

The TLOU remake has been mostly made on Sony San Diego new studio with ND first only overviewing and on the later parts taking the lead to complete it. ND was also working with an Unchated spinoff with Bend that we don't know if got cancelled or not when Bend completed their work on it and moved to focus on their new IP. SSM has been working with another game in addition to GoWR.

We also know all these teams have been growing in the recent years, and that Sony will spend over $300M to grow their internal teams this year, which means they plan to more or less double their global 1st party gamedev manpower in a single year, which pretty likely means several studios will get an additional big team.

The whole team was working on these games, they were not divided into making 2 games for studios.
We know from job offer that Guerrilla has been working on a AAA game with at least a multiplayer part since 2018 until now that isn't Horizon 2, so they have at least 2 teams.

We know Sucker Punch has been growing, that they are hiring and that Sony will spend this year over $300M this year alone to grow the internal 1st party gamedev manpower they had months ago. So studios like Sucker Punch may have a 2nd team or pretty likely will have it very soon.

Last edited:

Defrop

Banned
Many of the games are listed as multiplayer because there has been a job offer asking for multiplayer stuff. But maybe it's for a game mostly focused on single player with a secondary multiplayer game mode, as Sony did many times before.
Thanks!

I'm sick of all these Xbox fanboys spreading misinformation & FUD about playstation Studios

250 of those are probably diversity hire seat warmers that contribute diversity but little else. Sony hires talent, shows in the quality.

This post shows ignorance. I bet you haven't played Halo 5 if you are going against it for quality.

Spit and polish on it is easily Naughty Dog level.

Also it is absolutely massive, campaign + multi + co-op. You could easily spend 100 hrs in there to see everything. And gameplay holds up, you will be able to do that.

It has similar amount of content as 2-3 typical Sony titles.

Fake

Not much get excited about. I guess I have to rely on 3rd party for now.

For me too. I guess leaving Japan have their marks. The lack of ambition is really getting Sony for me, just 'sequels' and more sequels.

2022 will be GranBlue Fantasy for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
2022 will be GranBlue Fantasy for me.
I have that and.....
capsule_616x353.jpg

Dragon Quest III HD-2D
dragonquest3.jpg

SHK_page-meta.png

H2x1_NSwitch_ProjectTriangleStrategy.jpg

I don't think they are making two games per year every year but they have an insane output. They made like a dozen games last gen and now its all focused on PS5

I expect they will continue at a game every 12 - 18 months pace that they've been keeping, and occasionally it will coincide to have multiple games within 12 months of eachother
Lol that's not even true. If I remember correctly the only big game they released last gen was spiderman besides a Ratchet remake

kyliethicc

C'mon man. It's the same fucking game as spiderman with a different character. It's DLC, the fact that they decided to sell it as stand alone doenst make a difference. Treating Miles Morales as a full game makes you look stupid. That's like saying The last of us left behind was a full game when it clearly wasn't.

How Long to Beat:

TLOU Left Behind = 2-3 hours. $15
Miles Morales = 7-12 hours. $50
Uncharted LL = 7-8 hours. $40
Uncharted 1 = 8-9 hours. $60
Uncharted 3 = 9-10 hours. $60

boMQci4.jpg

9LmIQnl.jpg

3gKFId6.jpg

3MoZqkB.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Even if new consoles get released every 7 years, Sony home consoles get supported during 10+ years.
True but since I move on to the next generation at launch or a few months afterwards, those previous generation exclusives would either have to be cross-gen and thus playable on PS6 or they will get skipped. So either way, my expectations in regards to how many PS5 exclusives I get remain the same.

kyliethicc

Firesprite looks like another external studio Sony has partnered with again. They're hiring a lot for a AAA story driven game and a Sony xDev has been sharing a few of their job adverts these past few days on Linkedin
Yeah its for VR. Rumor is a Horizon spin off.

"We're looking for a Lead Producer to assist with all aspects of planning and delivery on a VR action adventure project adapted from one of the most original and successful multimillion selling console IP titles in the last 10 years."

"This is an exceptionally exciting project, partnering with the IP holder to create a whole new chapter in the exciting and highly original universe they have established, utilising the full immersive capabilities in VR to build a new narrative for fans and newcomers alike."

Last edited:
He didn't say 25 games, he said 'OVER 25 games'. Very likely the 23 posted in the OP plus GoT Director's Cut, Death Stranding and a few unannounced ones, like some Bluepoint project (Metal Gear Solid?) and the Uncharted spinoff that ND and Bend were working on until Bend left the project to to focus on their new IP (we don't know i it's cancelled or if ND is still working on it). PSVR is coming 2022 or 2023, so pretty likely they may have some 1st and 2nd party additional PSVR2 games targeting its release window.

Sony delivers with stunning visuals almost every year with their own engines, they are Rockstar are the top dogs. Last year we technical marvels like TLOU2 or Dreams, this year Ratchet or Horizon, next year GoW and so on. The last industry shifting UE game was the first Gears of War. Sony will do their equivalent -if not better- Nanite and Lumen tech, and pretty likely before we see an UE5 taking full advantage of it.

No. This year they will release at least GoT DC, Death Stranding DC, Horizon 2 and the Uncharted 4 PC port. Next year they will release at least God of War, Gran Turismo 7 and pretty likely the next Insomniac game (Spider-Man 2 maybe?).

Pretty likely next year we may also see TLOU2 PS5+TLOU1 remake bundle (several years under development) and we may get games started to be developed in 2018 like Guerrilla's multiplayer game with the Rainbow Six Siege creative director. Plus who knows if some surprise game from Pixel Opus, Quantic Dream, Bluepoint, London, Asobi, Arrowhead or any other random 2nd party studio (plus PSVR2 games if released in 2022). Mostly all of these games that aren't released in 2022 will be released in 2023 plus maybe a Media Molecule small game, another Insomniac game plus more games.
I hope GG's multiplayer game has a single player aspect
Sucker Punch could be working on a new IP or Infamous if they have a second team

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I find these speculation threads a bit odd. We'll eventually find out what games are being worked on, when the time is right. Personally, I wouldn't mind more original IPs, as opposed to sequels, but AAA budgets work best with established brands, as opposed to risking it all on something like a Getaway. If we must get sequels, how about digging into the catalog of dormant IPs like Warhawk or Jak & Daxter? I'd sign up for a GaaS Warhawk. I'm not all that interested in multiplayer games, but Warhawk was pretty fucking epic. It should've been Sony's Halo.

Last edited:

John Wick

Why do you think they bought Nixxes? There is only one obvious answer to that imo.

it's not like i'm hating on PC players or something, i also hope that Mario and Halo never come to PS.

Why Nintendo don't release their Old games on PC? think about it? despite they can run easily because of their origine hardware, no even Bayonetta 2 a 2014 game, that's because if they release bayonetta 2 on PC it will automatically affect both Switch/Switch Old and Bayonetta 3 sales, if people know it can come, a lot of people don't mind waiting 2 or 3 years or more for a game.

Microsoft started releasing their games on PC once Xbox and their games wasn't selling too good in mid Xbox One gen, and so since then their main focus slowly became Gamepass.

But Sony releasing their games on PC doesn't make any sens, it's a super bad thing imo, purely and surely short terms way of thinking.
They bought Nixxes to port games to PC. It has nothing to do with day and date release of games on PC.

skit_data

Hulst have stated that 25 games are in development. Out of those we know of how many? 3-5?

It’s clear that they have shifted to revealing games closer to the actual release rather than creating concept trailers running ”entirely in engine” that doesn’t represent the end result. Personally I like this trend better.

People saying ”there’s no roadmap, it’s all empty from 2022 and onward” are just trolling at best or plain stupid at worst.

Akuji

Xbox one sold 50-60 million units. Decently successful.

Had fewer games compared to some other unsuccessful consoles.

But what it had were juggernauts.

Think about it. Or better yet play some of them.

In the current market 50million is not impressive. They sold me 2 xbox one's and i have a total of 6 games ever played on those consoles.
The 2nd is the One S and the only function for it was to play UHD drives. It sucks a UHD player btw.
Cuphead and Ori are the best games last gen for the console, followed by horizon/forza/gears but halo was a no show last gen.

In the current market 50million is not impressive. They sold me 2 xbox one's and i have a total of 6 games ever played on those consoles.
The 2nd is the One S and the only function for it was to play UHD drives. It sucks a UHD player btw.
Cuphead and Ori are the best games last gen for the console, followed by horizon/forza/gears but halo was a no show last gen.

No one was going to buy xbox last gen due to more expensive, less powerful, bundled kinect not to mention reveal fiasco.

If anything, 50million figure shows its ips are healthy and ton of people interested in them. No other reason to buy it. It has a core fanbase that will stick around.

Proven by how many people are still playing those games, how easy it is to find matches.

One of its actual competitors Wii u actually failed and showcase how ugly things can get.

yurinka

I hope GG's multiplayer game has a single player aspect
Sucker Punch could be working on a new IP or Infamous if they have a second team
Yes, I'm not a multiplayer guy outside Street Fighter and a few more. So even if some of these games are multiplayer focused, let's hope they include a single player campaing. Or as Hermen said, they include in some way their signature narrative focus on their multiplayer games.

I don't like Infamous at all, but instead I loved Tsushima. So after GoT DC I'd love them to move to another new IP with a team and to the GoT sequel with other team.

Yes, I'm not a multiplayer guy outside Street Fighter and a few more. So even if some of these games are multiplayer focused, let's hope they include a single player campaing. Or as Hermen said, they include in some way their signature narrative focus on their multiplayer games.

I don't like Infamous at all, but instead I loved Tsushima. So after GoT DC I'd love them to move to another new IP with a team and to the GoT sequel with other team.
I think GG's game could be Socom, KillZone returning (hopefully with a new non-human alien species), or a new IP
For Sucker Punch, if they do have a second team, I'm guessing the team has been working on it since 2019 which makes for a possible 2022 or 2023 release
GOT2 seems likely for 2024
Infamous could be a possibility they might want to see how people respond to a new installment. I prefer a new IP.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think GG's game could be Socom, KillZone returning (hopefully with a new non-human alien species), or a new IP
They hired back the Rainbow Six Siege creative director for this game, who already did work at Guerrilla on games like Killzone Liberation.

I'd make a new squads based Killzone with a single player (with optional co-op) campaign and a multiplayer partially inspired by Rainbow Six Siege but also learning stuff from recent super successful shooters like Fortnite & other battle royale, CoD, etc.

Firesprite looks like another external studio Sony has partnered with again. They're hiring a lot for a AAA story driven game and a Sony xDev has been sharing a few of their job adverts these past few days on Linkedin
This studio was created by former Wipeout devs. GIVE ME A NEW WIPEOUT, BABY!

Last edited:

yurinka

Hulst have stated that 25 games are in development. Out of those we know of how many? 3-5?
He didn't say 25 games, he said MORE THAN 25 games.

Not sure of the timing, but I think they included Ratchet, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, Horizon 2, GoW, GT7, TLOU2 multiplayer game, Sony San Diego's new studio TLOU1 remake, Bend's new IP and the new IPs from Haven, Firewalk and Deviation. Plus some other games we unoficially know are coming via job offers like the other Guerrilla game being developed since 2018.

It’s clear that they have shifted to revealing games closer to the actual release rather than creating concept trailers running ”entirely in engine” that doesn’t represent the end result. Personally I like this trend better.

People saying ”there’s no roadmap, it’s all empty from 2022 and onward” are just trolling at best or plain stupid at worst.
Yes, since several years ago when they show a game they do it running it in-engine, and sometimes even showing gameplay instead of only cutscenes. Typically they show them for the first time around a year or less before release (sometimes maybe up to aprox. 2 years considering delays).

This allows them to show the game running in the console (well, it's devkit) in a pretty similar way it will look in the final version, reducing the potential downgrade complains that typically arise when they are showing a game how they think it will look like around 4 or 5 years in the future. Game development is so complicated and they always have to cut many things, and since most players don't know it or use it as ammunition to attack companies (specially fanboy haters), it's better for them to wait to show the game until they almost have it done, in alpha or so.

They have many 1st, 2nd, 3rd party exclusives, total or timed, crossgen or not. Which combined with marketing deals with some key top AAA 3rd multis give them enough cool stuff to focus their marketing in games coming in the next months, maybe up to a year or so.

yurinka

True but since I move on to the next generation at launch or a few months afterwards, those previous generation exclusives would either have to be cross-gen and thus playable on PS6 or they will get skipped. So either way, my expectations in regards to how many PS5 exclusives I get remain the same.
All consoles seems to have moved to a pretty standard PC/mobile hardware architecture with minimal tweaks and for the future there's no reason for them to move from here, which means BC for future consoles seems pretty much guaranteed.

I had 20 Sony published games for the PS4 generation that I played and completed even though 6 of them, I could have easily passed on and nothing of value would have been lost so overall 14 games. I'm expecting to get around the same this generation. I figure 1-2 exclusives for me a year for a total of 6/12 or 8/16 depending on if the generation lasts 6 or 8 years.
Says someone with an Xbox Series X avatar. Your credibility is very low...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Says someone with an Xbox Series X avatar. Your credibility is very low...
Don't see what my avatar has to do with my credibility regarding how many PS5 exclusives that im expecting to have for myself. After all, im not making the exclusives and my most anticipated sequel (Days Gone 2) was never green lit.

I realized that their exclusives aren't for me either. I had a lot of fun with a couple of games, namely TLOU, UC2, Until Dawn and God of War. Everything else I played was just "okay". I'm still gonna get a PS5 at some point though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I realized that their exclusives aren't for me either. I had a lot of fun with a couple of games, namely TLOU, UC2, Until Dawn and God of War. Everything else I played was just "okay". I'm still gonna get a PS5 at some point though.
14 exclusives were for me but the 6 exclusives that I could have passed on were Knack, Infamous First Light, Until Dawn, Knack 2 and Detroit: Become Human. The other 14 were good to great to excellent games.

NahaNago

Or maybe the Last of Us being remade for the PS5 if that ends up being true. I could definitely see something like that taking good advantage of the hardware. It wouldn't be just a simple PS4 port.
It would be a remaster. I'm guessing mostly just updating visuals and animations. since they already ported and remastered the game to the ps4 I just don't see them doing that much for this version.

Top Bottom