• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next three years of the PlayStation 5...

GymWolf

Yeah, too much multiplayer shit for my taste.

And i don't like dividing the teams who are making gigantic games like tsushima 2 or horizon 2 or gow 2 or spidey 2, they don't have 1000 men studios like rockstar or ubisoft and 200 to 400 people are the right number of people to put at work for a single big game if you want polished stuff, days gone was sony less polished game because bend was the smaller studios, it was not a fucking coincidence.

Hopefully the multyplayers games are made by a minority second and third tier devs in those studios.

Nice OP dude.

Last edited:

SSfox

For me currently Atlus, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom and Spike Chunsoft has waaaaay more exciting line up than Sony does.
The thing is that Sony lacks heavily in Japenese 1st party games department, if they won't do anything about it they will start loosing their ADN in the long run, and i don't feel this will improve with Hermen Hulst in charge as this guy seems only interested into porting playstation games on PC, this guy should go work on valve or Epic, he is right now at Sony in the wrong place obviously.

For me currently Atlus, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom and Spike Chunsoft has waaaaay more exciting line up than Sony does.

well yeah thats how different tastes work! i hear people love final fantasy, but me? never played a single entry! it just doesnt do anything for me but i can still appreciate its quality.

Last edited:

And i don't like dividing the teams who are making gigantic games like tsushima 2 or horizon 2 or gow 2 or spidey 2, they don't have 1000 men studios like rockstar or ubisoft and 200 to 400 people are the right number of people to put at work for a single big game if you want polished stuff, days gone was sony less polished game because bend was the smaller studios, it was not a fucking coincidence.

Hopefully the multyplayers games are made by a minority second and third tier devs in those studios.

Nice OP dude.

What size teams made Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon? Serious question.

Those turned out ok.

The thing is that Sony lacks heavily in Japenese 1st party games department, if they won't do anything about it they will start loosing their ADN in the long run, and i don't feel this will improve with Hermen Hulst in charge as this guy seems only interested into porting playstation games on PC, this guy should go work on valve or Epic, he is right now at Sony in the wrong place obviously.

1st party wise they wont do anything about it but sony will easily be able to lock down 3rd party japanes games. they already got two from square enix.

the PC thing makes business sense. theres no point what so ever locking your games to your console forever when you can release it to a whole other audience. why would you be against that? how many people are still buying god of war on ps4? so why not release it on PC? it benefits sony and more people get to play it!! whats wrong with that!?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
well yeah thats how different tastes work! i hear people love final fantasy, but me? never played a single entry! it just doesnt do anything for me but i can still appreciate its quality.
My problem is in PS2 and even PS3 era they had nice balance between having both western and Japanese first party, but currently they more interested chasing the money even tho they are supposed to be market leader, they can effort supporting more interesting games like used to in PS2 and PS3 era.

Plus, if it’s TLoU3;

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan
I'm actually really looking forward to another TLOU but I'd prefer a prequel about Joel and Tommy and right after the outbreak.

THEAP99

Banned
I'm concerned that they currently have no next gen only titles confirmed to be coming in the pipeline. That's a problem we have nothing official to look forward to

Nice OP dude.

They're not splitting. They're hiring and growing in order to support multigame development

SSfox

1st party wise they wont do anything about it but sony will easily be able to lock down 3rd party japanes games. they already got two from square enix.

the PC thing makes business sense. theres no point what so ever locking your games to your console forever when you can release it to a whole other audience. why would you be against that? how many people are still buying god of war on ps4? so why not release it on PC? it benefits sony and more people get to play it!! whats wrong with that!?
When Hermen Hulst will start releasing PS games day by day and the playstation ecosystem sales (cf. playstation consoles, 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games, ps+ and psnow subs ect) will get a big hit in the nuts in terms of numbers, you'll see what's wrong with it. And it's def not the steam sales with the 70% cut that will compensate on that.

GymWolf

They're not splitting. They're hiring and growing in order to support multigame development
If the devs numbers for every studios in the OP are correct my point still stands, and nowadays big open world games are more difficult than ever to make so dividing a 200-350 person team to make 2 games doesn't reason with me At all.

You may be right, but i always prefer the entire team effort when you are making a big ass ambitious open world game.

John Wick

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Good post. A few corrections regarding Insomniac Games:

Insomniac has more than two teams. My guess is that they have four teams, but that hasn't been officially confirmed yet. But we know for sure they have three teams:

1. Marcus Smith's team. They worked on Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
2. Bryan Horton's team. He joined in April 2019, and they created Spider-Man Miles Morales
3. Brian Intihar's team. He created Spider-Man 2018. He hasn't released anything since then (still with Insomniac) and his team has been likely working on Spider-Man 2 since 2019.

Insomniac now has four creative directors, and they were recently hiring for a fifth creative director (!). The 4th team I'm referring to would likely be the VR team that created games like The Unspoken and Stormlands. That team was led by Chad Dezern, who is still at Insomniac as a Chief Creative Director.

If anything, they are likely expanding to fourth or fifth team with this new creative director hiring.

Lastly, they have expanded by over 10% in the last six months and now have 400+ employees, not 275+.
Probably the most efficient Sony studio

GymWolf

Yes, its called the ICE-team. Alot of Sony developers are working together for years now and they share new ways to get the most out of the hardware and theyr game engines.
They don't share enough, most probably because every studio use a different engine.

Why the snow in tsushima is shit when you already have a great snow tech in horizon?
Why horizon water was shit when you already have a great water tech from unchy4?
Why shooting and melee animation in days gone are meh when you have great animations in tlou1\unchy4?

Etc. Etc.

It kinda feels like a missed occasion to not share this type of tech between all studios but i guess it's the price of having so many different engines.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
That's some serious top tier studios TBF, lots of focus on MP which isn't something I bother with but for the love of God can youse start cranking out more PS5 exclusives

Thirty7ven

Banned
Single teams don’t need to be huge in size because they don’t work on games alone, a lot of studios will be providing support. Which means a game made by a Sony studio with 100 people, is really being made by two or three times the amount of people.

What is the roadmap here? I want to know, what are the 25 games Sony talked about? Or is that a secret for a big event?

I know they can deliver games. But I want to know, what will I get in these upcoming 4 years. Its hard to get excited, when you have no idea what is coming.
I personally would rather NOT hear about games that haven't even begun production. Tell us, a year out. I don’t need crap like The Last Guardian that comes out a decade later, or worse, Scalebound or Deep Down which never sees the light of day.

When Hermen Hulst will start releasing PS games day by day and the playstation ecosystem sales (cf. playstation consoles, 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games, ps+ and psnow subs ect) will get a big hit in the nuts in terms of numbers, you'll see what's wrong with it. And it's def not the steam sales with the 70% cut that will compensate on that.

I doubt sony would ever simultaneously launch their games on PS5 and PC. That could potentially be bad. What I'm saying is releasing years old games on PC is fine.

Theres no need for god of war or uncharted 4 to stay locked to the ps ecosystem. Its about building your IP strength even more and exposing them to the pc gamers does just that. If it was bad for business sony wouldn't do it. They do it because it makes them more money now and more in the future. I don't understand why you have an issue with this?

TonyK

And why is that? It’s a different game, different story, even different main character. How is it not a full game?
I played Miles Morales just after replaying Spiderman and it felt like a DLC, and not specially a good one. Very far from something like Uncharted Lost Legacy, and even that game didn't feel like a proper standalone Uncharted game but something minor.

TonyK

I'm trying to think of all the positions that can be filled by 100+ employees.

Programmers
Artists
Musicians
Website people
Systems admins
HR
Office managers
Project managers
Acquisitions (hardware / software stuff)
Social engagement
Contractors (any of the above positions)

I can see you hitting 100 people here, but 750 ...?!
Designers also. And Server programmers, they are different from client programmers. QC team also. 750 it doesn't seem so much for a AAAA studio. You need A LOT of artists to make AAA games, but it's true that a lot of that work is usually outsourced.

Just to compare, 343 over at Microsoft has about 750 employees. Maybe having that many employees really does stifle certain aspects of the development process.

In any case, I'm expecting some bangers from these studios in the next 3 years.

Are you serious?!?.... WTF!!!

Given the reports about Halo Infinite's troubled development being as a result of them bringing in a tonne of contractors, I don't quite understand WTF that studio is doing.

As Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games are the biggest Sony devs they have the most to prove this gen. 5+ years for 1 game is unacceptable IMHO. GG needs to blow us away with their 2nd team FPS....Naughty Dog needs to be working on more than just an MP TLOU, Remake, and TLOU3.

ND IMHO is kind of one of the most talented studios but also most disappointing at the same time.
But that's the usual time to develop a AAA game. 4 years it's the standard.

I like the fact that they announce only games that aren't too far from release, unlike others that annouce games that will come in 3 to 10 years or so, and hope Sony will keep it that way.
Excuse me, GoW Ragnarok? TLOU II was announced 4 years before release. Almost every game by Sony is announced at least 2 years before release.

Are you serious?!?.... WTF!!!

Given the reports about Halo Infinite's troubled development being as a result of them bringing in a tonne of contractors, I don't quite understand WTF that studio is doing.
Nobody does. The truth is Phill Spencer sucks as a manager. If you like his ideas of were Xbox is going then put him as creative director, but not as a manager. That's what Nintendo did with Miyamoto, having the best ideas don't mean you are the best to see them through.

Designers also. And Server programmers, they are different from client programmers. QC team also. 750 it doesn't seem so much for a AAAA studio. You need A LOT of artists to make AAA games, but it's true that a lot of that work is usually outsourced.
AAAA studio because of the money they spend right? Because if we judge about games they are a B- studio.

Only announced Sony games I'm genuinely excited for is GOW and TLOUII expansion. Other than that I need to see more or reviews to really determine if I want it. More RPGs Sony...pleeeease.

truth411

Technically Insomniac is more like 2 studios than 2 teams.

Insomniac California
Insomniac North Carolina

Thats part of the reason how they can pumpout alot of games.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

According to a recent interview with TMTPOST, Jim Ryan said Sony has 14 development studios under its umbrella. Let's briefly take a look at what all 14 (+3 more) studios are unofficially working on...

social-share.jpg

(100+ employees) - Working on an open world, new IP, that will likely have a multiplayer component according to multiple job listings.

guerrilla-games-logo.jpg

(350+ employees) - Rumored two team studio. One team working on Horizon Forbidden West. The other team being led by Rainbow Six Siege director Simon Larouche, working on something multiplayer.

Insomniac_Logo_E3201_1528774208-1280x640.png

(400+ employees) - Was, and likely still is, a two team studio. One team is heavily rumored to be working on a Spider Man follow up. Second team is hiring multiple positions specializing on a multiplayer game.

51220537630_c4279a0059_o.jpg

(50 employees) - Most likely working on a bigger Astrobot follow up because, well, just look at their logo. Possibly a PSVR2 launch title?

sonylondonlogo.png

(80 employees) - Hirings suggest their new game is a new IP and is multiplayer focused.

mm-logo.png

(84 employees) - Still heavily invested in Dreams. They're adding story content, working on multiplayer, likely preparing for a PC release, and probably upgrading Dreams for PS5.

1200px-Naughty_Dog_logo.svg.png

(500+ employees) - Factions II multiplayer was rumored to be rebooted in early 2019. They're also working on a The Last of Us 1 remake according to activist journalist Jason Shreier and either a new IP or The Last of Us 3.

220px-San_Diego_Studio.svg.png

(90+ employees) - MLB The Show studio most likely going to keep pumping out MLB The Show games.

jrBFBpA6InI_ujbAJBYdnkDk-b_79AE2zwpxIRTwp-FKBjHXV69SV95_u1BfZytfbIgSM6QAvU_54rtsc2OWGfMzLGwD54FtYhAVHcoI4rHgfBr10IJqTbVCfOF-Pr39M4z_ybRCdc9wf_qSRkwg

(250+ employees) - God of War Ragnarok is most likely hitting in 2022. Cory Balrog is heavily rumored to be making a new IP. Interesting to note: There's currently no links to multiplayer with this studio.

ocslftmxjx7qzjie63qk.png

(160+ employees) - Job listings reveal that they're "hiring for a spectacular multiplayer game". However, job listings also suggest more Ghost of Tsushima output as well. Two teams is possible, but so is Ghost of Tsushima 2 having a stronger multiplayer component.

(15 employees) - Hiring for "a new and exciting PS5 adventure. " Concrete Genie was released in 2019.

7421950877606381056_1.png

(200 employees) - Series creator Kazunori Yamauchi recently said in an interview... "Well, I intend to continue Gran Turismo going forward, which will be in the same boat as the car culture and automobile industry. At the same time, I would like to also do something different."

Considering how well Gran Turismo lends itself to GAAS, we might see Polyphony switch gears after GT7s 2022 release.

Xdev-1280x720.jpg

(??? employees) - Listed as a "Sony studio" on the official PlayStation website but they're a technical support studio. There doesn't seem to be any indication that they're making an original game on their own.

stormdivers-4587983.jpg

(80 employees) - Studio CEO Ilari Kuittinen has said Housemarques next game will "Go beyond Returnal" as well as still focus on the tight gameplay they're known for.

The next 3 studios have signed one off exclusive deals with PlayStation meaning only their next games are Sony exclusives...

havenstudios.jpeg

(??? employees) - Jade Raymond's studio is most likely making a multiplayer game according to job listings as well as the PlayStation blogpost released upon the announcement of the studio. *The above logo is generic placeholder.

(100 employees) Call of Duty Zombie creator Jason Blundell has teamed up with Treyarch vet Dave Anthony to create a new studio...

"We’re not afraid to say that our ambitions are super high: we’re setting out to make a huge, content-rich game with a focus on a lot of action and a lot of energy, but let’s leave it at that for now and hopefully it won’t be long before we can share more."

images

(64+ employees) - AAA multiplayer focused studio who's game has been playable for a year. Studio formed in 2018.

Notes:

* Sony seems to like team sizes around 100 employees large. Small enough to innovate, large enough to compete in terms of production values?

* The single player to multiplayer game split seems to be around 1:1. By my count, they have 12 single player games underway and 11 multiplayer games.

* The next batch of PS5 game reveals based on time spent in the oven is most likely God of War Ragnarok, Naughty Dogs Factions II, Guerilla Games multiplayer project, and Arrowhead Studios co-op game.
If we throw when From works on projects with Sony you won't find a more talented group in the industry.

Hezekiah

Banned
I like the fact that they announce only games that aren't too far from release, unlike others that annouce games that will come in 3 to 10 years or so, and hope Sony will keep it that way.
Yeah a CGI movie of a game coming out in four years really does you no favours.

Yoboman

Lol, Imsoniac can't release 2 games in a year.
They just did
Don't hold your breath.

"Speaking as a guest on the Game Maker’s Notebook Podcast - which is hosted by Insomniac founder Ted Price - Evan Wells stated that “I hate to break it to [the fans], we do not have Jak and Daxter here in development right now” when asked if the studio still gets requests for a new Jak and Daxter game."

I think Jak and Daxter would be a good mix up for them

They just did

The implication is that they can release two games per year, they obviously can't. What happened was bad timing on their part (they are basically two studios)
, they won't release another game for at least two years. Also, if you count Miles morales as a game then you're doing it wrong. It was obvious DLC for spiderman PS4 but since there were no games Sony told them to make it stand alone and do a PS5 version which didn't offer anythi g but RT lol.

The implication is that they can release two games per year, they obviously can't. What happened was bad timing on their part (they are basically two studios)
, they won't release another game for at least two years. Also, if you count Miles morales as a game then you're doing it wrong. It was obvious DLC for spiderman PS4 but since there were no games Sony told them to make it stand alone and do a PS5 version which didn't offer anythi g but RT lol.

Ignoring your retarded take on Miles Morales, you're also forgetting the fact that they're one of the few devs under Sony that are experienced in VR

Knowing them they'll be at the forefront for PSVR2 next year

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Would be a waste of their talent. They've spent 15 years mastering a craft. People went to work there specifically because of the style of game they make. There were people who joined the game industry after playing TLOU and joined Naughty Dog to help make Part 2. To suddenly switch to a cartoon would piss off some of the talent there, they'd lose people, and they'd have to reboot the studio's art direction, mo-cap, their narrative tone, and even their game design.

Sony will also want them to keep their huge IPs of Uncharted and The Last of Us alive, or make a new huge IP. Jak is dead.

Ignoring your retarded take on Miles Morales, you're also forgetting the fact that they're one of the few devs under Sony that are experienced in VR

Knowing them they'll be at the forefront for PSVR2 next year
C'mon man. It's the same fucking game as spiderman with a different character. It's DLC, the fact that they decided to sell it as stand alone doenst make a difference. Treating Miles Morales as a full game makes you look stupid. That's like saying The last of us left behind was a full game when it clearly wasn't.

Yoboman

I don't think they are making two games per year every year but they have an insane output. They made like a dozen games last gen and now its all focused on PS5

I expect they will continue at a game every 12 - 18 months pace that they've been keeping, and occasionally it will coincide to have multiple games within 12 months of eachother

Would be a waste of their talent. They've spent 15 years mastering a craft. People went to work there specifically because of the style of game they make. There were people who joined the game industry after playing TLOU and joined Naughty Dog to help make Part 2. To suddenly switch to a cartoon would piss off some of the talent there, they'd lose people, and they'd have to reboot the studio's art direction, mo-cap, their narrative tone, and even their game design.

Sony will also want them to keep their huge IPs of Uncharted and The Last of Us alive, or make a new huge IP. Jak is dead.
Im not saying put TLOU2 team on it but they are definitely capable of multiple games and Jak could be the nice smaller game to break up the conventions and get them thinking differently

And just because its cartoon doesn't mean they can't do cool things with it. Just like a Pixar movie can be cartoon but still with mature themes that resonate with adults

kyliethicc

I don't think they are making two games per year every year but they have an insane output. They made like a dozen games last gen and now its all focused on PS5

I expect they will continue at a game every 12 - 18 months pace that they've been keeping, and occasionally it will coincide to have multiple games within 12 months of eachother

Im not saying put TLOU2 team on it but they are definitely capable of multiple games and Jak could be the nice smaller game to break up the conventions and get them thinking differently

And just because its cartoon doesn't mean they can't do cool things with it. Just like a Pixar movie can be cartoon but still with mature themes that resonate with adults
Well their studio head said they only have 1 game in development at a time. They have other stuff in pre-prod, but they don't have 2 teams (for now.)

SSfox

I doubt sony would ever simultaneously launch their games on PS5 and PC. That could potentially be bad. What I'm saying is releasing years old games on PC is fine.

Why do you think they bought Nixxes? There is only one obvious answer to that imo.

Theres no need for god of war or uncharted 4 to stay locked to the ps ecosystem. Its about building your IP strength even more and exposing them to the pc gamers does just that. If it was bad for business sony wouldn't do it. They do it because it makes them more money now and more in the future. I don't understand why you have an issue with this?

it's not like i'm hating on PC players or something, i also hope that Mario and Halo never come to PS.

Why Nintendo don't release their Old games on PC? think about it? despite they can run easily because of their origine hardware, no even Bayonetta 2 a 2014 game, that's because if they release bayonetta 2 on PC it will automatically affect both Switch/Switch Old and Bayonetta 3 sales, if people know it can come, a lot of people don't mind waiting 2 or 3 years or more for a game.

Microsoft started releasing their games on PC once Xbox and their games wasn't selling too good in mid Xbox One gen, and so since then their main focus slowly became Gamepass.

But Sony releasing their games on PC doesn't make any sens, it's a super bad thing imo, purely and surely short terms way of thinking.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Hopefully Naughty Dog does a new IP like the Fantasy concept art that was shown.
Also looking forward to Cory’s next new IP

NahaNago

I'm concerned that they currently have no next gen only titles confirmed to be coming in the pipeline. That's a problem we have nothing official to look forward to
The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a next gen only title until early 2024.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Long op with no info and wild speculation. It’s literally nothing. Hope get spider man 2 in next 3 years though.

Why do you think they bought Nixxes? There is only one obvious answer to that imo.

so you think sony are about to do a microsoft and launch their games day and date on PC. im not too sure about that and yeah personally i dont agree with it, i think an exclusive should remain exclusive for atleast a year before being ported to PC. anyway we havent seen such a case yet. have sony ever launched an exclusive on PC?

if sony were going to do it though, than surely they would do it because it benefits them? they dont make a decision like that for nothing. if it was going to negatively effect their home console, they wouldnt do it but we'll have to wait and see. i doubt it will happen. sony know the value of true exclusives.

NahaNago

I think Spiderman 2 can come out before then. But it could also be a cross gen title. We just have to wait and see what platforms are confirmed for it.
The problem is how Covid would complicate in releasing these games. Considering that PS5's are still selling out even now and will probably continue to do so until sometime in 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony decided to make the decision in 2022 to port their games to ps4 as well for 2023.

Top Bottom