• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Predator movie is titled 'Skull'

ManaByte

Gold Member

In a new interview with Collider timed to this week's release of Disney's Jungle Cruise, producers John Davis and John Fox revealed that Dan Trachtenberg's upcoming Predator movie will be titled Skull, will be an origin story about the Predator's first journey to this planet, and it's almost done filming.

The film will boast a female hero, "which I always think is interesting," said Davis, who revealed what Skull has in common with the first film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"It goes back to what made the original Predator movie work. It's the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force," he explained.

"It actually has more akin to The Revenant than it does any film in the Predator canon. You'll know what I mean once you see it," promised Fox, though Davis declined to reveal the specific time period. "You can use your imagination. It is... early."

As far as the tone of the film goes, Davis said it "it all depends on how you end up cutting it, right? It was conceived as an R-rated movie. It could easily end up PG-13. I guess I'm going to find out what it has to be or what it is when it's all cut together."

It's unclear when we'll get our first look at any images or footage from Skull, as a release date has yet to be determined, but Davis said that Trachtenberg is "probably three-quarters of the way through" production -- a surprise given how little is currently known about the film, including its cast.''

There's no way a cavewoman fighting a Predator is going to be worse than THIS:

"The film will boast a female hero"

Don't mind me, I'm just here for the OUTRAGE CULTURE

Drama Popcorn GIF

I was going to say "please just let the franchise die", but I see Dan Trachtenberg is behind it so... maybe it'll be good? I've liked his work so far (21 Cloverfield Lane, one of my favorite episodes of Black Mirror, and the pilot for The Boys).

EekTheKat

I still think the most interesting premise for a sequel was the premise teased by the end of Predator 2.

R rated Predator set in the 1700's. With Pirates.
Arguably pirates fit the structure of the first movie, as in a group pirates could fit into the mold established by Dutch's team.

Though, given that Fox is part of the Disney family, they will literally make it into a family friendly Pirates of the Caribbean crossover.

edit - Huh, given that title they probably did go with this premise. Cautiously optimistic about this one, but it's hard not to be skeptical after the last Predator trash fire.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have faith that Dan Trachtenberg will squeeze a good movie out of this, despite what I am sure will be a bunch of dumb ideas from the studio and producers if the past three Predator-related movies are a barometer.

"It goes back to what made the original Predator movie work. It's the ingenuity of a human being who won't give up, who's able to observe and interpret, basically being able to beat a stronger, more powerful, well-armed force," he explained.

Incorrect, what made the first predator movie interesting was that it was a ghost..an unknown...you were in the dark just as much as the soldiers and you feel that when you watch it. Now we know about the damn things mating habits and what underwear it wears..... just let it go

Rat Rage

To all people who liked all the garbage predator movies that came out after the original 1 and 2:

giphy.gif

That being said, Dan Trachtenberg is a great director. Cloverfield Lane 10 was superb (smart, very suspenseful, a "really" good movie, 9 or 10/10)

The Predator franchise has been mistreated so many times, and even Shane Black - who everyone thought would FINALLY do the franchise justice - fucked up really badly.

After that there was literally no hope left.

However, with this news about Dan Trachtenberg trying to go back the what made the first movies great, there might be a chance that finally, after decades, we could get a "good" Predator movie.

Last edited:

thefool

The film ends with the protagonist deciding not to pursue the predator anymore citing mental health issues.

It gets rave reviews as NYT defines the new predator as dismantling unhealthy notions of what it takes to succeed and what a predator hunter is allowed to do. On the jungle and off, she is redefining female power in movies.

Last edited:

thefool

How hard can it possibly be to create a decent Predator / Terminator/ Alien movie? Like, fucking seriously.

Mctiernan/Cameron/Scott-Cameron-Fincher, that's the biggest issue. Extraordinary filmmakers used to make these type of movies, not lackeys who'll make whatever the studio wants to shove down the audience throat.

And old man scott is obviously not his younger self, before anyone brings up prometheus/covenant

VulcanRaven

I'm very excited about this. I hope the main characters don't speak english if this is set in the past and they are native Americans.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
How hard can it possibly be to create a decent Predator / Terminator/ Alien movie? Like, fucking seriously.
I know like, fuck me its been years of shitty sequels (not counting Predator 2, Terminator 2 or Aliens cause all 3 of those sequels where fucking glorious) but modern day sequels are just bollocks and for the love of god stop with the fucking female lead.. it doesn't work, it hasn't worked in years move the fuck on and give us a male lead, make it a fucking action movie that guys who drink beer can quote to one another down the pub something at least different to the shite you've been knocking out all these years, are we really that scared of making an 80's scifi action movie in the 2020's encase we offend the cunts WHO DONT FUCKING WATCH THESE SORT OF MOVIES!!! i cant remember the last time the wife said.. fuck me id really love to see the new Predator movie..

INC

I dont get why they can't do a decent predator film

Simple, follow the first 2 films format

needs somewhere hot, rival factions fighting, an elite team that it hunts, and somewhere that we've yet to see the predator in

Well how about 90s+ iraq/gulf war?

You have the the hot weather, rival factions covered, and no doubt an elite team sent in, navy seals etc etc

You'd have urban combat, rural combat, ruins, everything you need for set pieces

Its basically a no brainer

You just need someone who can take over from arnie......well how about someone like Hemsworth? He's already proven he can do exactly what's needed for a predator film, with his netflix film extraction, or someone like Karl Urban

Really not difficult

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

needs somewhere hot, rival factions fighting, an elite team that it hunts, and somewhere that we've yet to see the predator in

You have the the hot weather, rival factions covered, and no doubt an elite team sent in, navy seals etc etc

You'd have urban combat, rural combat, ruins, everything you need for set pieces

You just need someone who can take over from arnie......well how about someone like Hemsworth? He's already proven he can do exactly what's needed for a predator film, with his netflix film extraction, or someone like Karl Urban

Really not difficult
if i was a coked up studio exec id throw money at you

• Strength
Reactions: INC

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Really not difficult
You could set it in Falluja and make the issues from that battle be the result of a predator.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm very excited about this. I hope the main characters don't speak english if this is set in the past and they are native Americans.
An Apocalypto style predator movie would be dope. Even if it has conquistadors in it, have them speak spanish or Portuguese or whatever.

Just not whatever the fuck that last predator film was, Jesus christ what a shit show that was.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Thats basically predator 2 tho, rival gangs and police

Sure could work as well.
That was Miami. This way the Predator is killing the American enemies. This makes him a good guy, and in the end the predator ends up joining the American army and swearing an oath to protect the constitution. He then becomes the Thomas Jefferson to His world and leads them in a revolution to overthrow their oppressive regime back on predator planet. Next they elect Trump and begin to spread Make the Galaxy Great Again throughout the rest of the universe. First to the Alien planet though. They know the Xenomorphs need freedom more than anything.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That was Miami. This way the Predator is killing the American enemies. This makes him a good guy, and in the end the predator ends up joining the American army and swearing an oath to protect the constitution. He then becomes the Thomas Jefferson to His world and leads them in a revolution to overthrow their oppressive regime back on predator planet. Next they elect Trump and begin to spread Make the Galaxy Great Again throughout the rest of the universe. First to the Alien planet though. They know the Xenomorphs need freedom more than anything.

Something tells me the performance outrage YouTubers would declare that the greatest Predator movie ever and even better than the original.

INC

Is it a female lead, or a female predator?

Female predator is fine, its cannon, but a female lead? Nah, physically it just doesn't work for me, there's a reason why it works so well I the original, and thats because arnie at the time was considered the peak of human performance and structure, and he was dwarfed by the predator. Thats why it works

A female lead cant have the same impact as that, they just can't, sorry ladies.

Granted in predator lore, a human female did become part of the predator tribe, but who cares

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sounds like a great premise. I even dig the the name. Not thrilled by the fact that they won’t just green light the “R” version. Studio meddling likely gets the best of this one.

Last edited:
This alone gives me way more hope than anything else (along with comparisons to Predator 1... one of the GOAT films):

"It actually has more akin to The Revenant than it does any film in the Predator canon. You'll know what I mean once you see it," promised Fox, though Davis declined to reveal the specific time period. "You can use your imagination. It is... early."

Don't fuck this up.

We said the same about Resident Evil, and then Transformers, and then Alien (Covenant / Prometheus), and then Batman v. Superman, and then Terminator (sequels).

The suits in studios seem to have no idea what to do with these properties so they just run immediately to schlock-fest.

Wait....no R rating?

Just bin it now then, there's no point in making it, if that's the case

Well fuck. Wrap it up folks, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Is it a female lead, or a female predator?

Female predator is fine, its cannon, but a female lead? Nah, physically it just doesn't work for me, there's a reason why it works so well I the original, and thats because arnie at the time was considered the peak of human performance and structure, and he was dwarfed by the predator. Thats why it works

A female lead cant have the same impact as that, they just can't, sorry ladies.

Granted in predator lore, a human female did become part of the predator tribe, but who cares

I disagree totally. The entire point is Arnie's stature was meaningless because the Predator could ragdoll him.

Adrien Brody made a convincing fight against the Predator at the end and he's a toothpick.

Also that last part you highlighted is another reason why. That series was awesome.

Predator 2 was LA.

But I'd totally watch what you just wrote.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I see Hollywood just can't let franchises die in peace.

Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Star Wars, ect.

tenor.gif
Last predator movie was one of the funniest comedies since Saw 3D in terms of a movie just not hitting so I’m looking forward to it on some level.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Congrats

You're retarded
Nothing personal here but i think 2010 are the best

The idea to pit predator and bunch of criminals were funny and it has Dany Trejo

The final showdown were great too

Im looking forward for the new movie

Last edited:

INC

Nothing personal here but i think 2010 are the best

The idea to pit predator and bunch of criminals were funny and it has Dany Trejo

The final showdown were great too

Im looking forward for the new movie

But its a basically a copy, some times word for word of the original, so if you like the 2010, by proxy you must prefer the original

How can you like Lawrences character?

The Concept is cool tho, no doubt, and I dont actually mind Predators, its just an OK film

But the predators look shit too, thats the other thing, no predator film after 1+2 got it right, and thats the mandibles of the predator mouth. Even the suits look like plastic shit in the other predators, the original character design and how the suit looked, hasn't been topped yet. Compared to the original, the rest look like a wish.com cosplay version of the predator suit

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm in just for Dan Trachtenberg.
I'm not sure why they have to write it for R or PG13, so weird. Just make the movie they want to make and let the dumb MPAA rate it. It's 75% complete, does that mean they'll just add all CG blood and gore if they want R? Or is it about stupid fucking camera angles? I know the MPAA have a hard on for camera angles which help dictate the intensity of a scene. Fucking useless cunts at the MPAA ruining movies for world wide audiences.

Top Bottom