• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Saints Row looks atrocious (gameplay video)

makaveli60

gta 6 has not yet be announced, let alone we know what kinf of humor it's gonna have, unless i missed some official statement

mass effect andromeda was shit for a lot of reasons, none of these were if someone in an "high position" had blue hair
for more info about what exactly went wrong:

can't really comment on AC odissey, i don't play that series :messenger_beaming:

i

Based on the news about culture change, the direction for GTA and for the company as a whole and chasing away main people at Rockstar and so on the outcome is pretty obvious IMO. And yes ME Andromeda was infested, like almost all games nowadays.
If you are really interested I suggest you reading this thread, some awesome posts about the topic in there:

Last edited:

Ravi_elite

Banned
That isn't saints row

This is saints row
sZIWwsL.jpg
BldRuLI.jpg
xaiCNtZ.jpg
htlCi1V.jpg
H3aLJ6y.jpg
bnW0aqW.jpg
aNCXmYA.jpg
hioIrZO.jpg
8bBvS35.gif
nwvpeff.gif
G5ijetf.gif
y0LX2hZ.gif
MnUmbYS.gif
m973KOd.gif
ZELzRmT.gif
nuKRoDs.gif
pgAzW8D.gif
xyuzAmL.jpg
rDYLaCi.png
zngpomw.png
CBnWnTe.png
njCjmkT.png
1UspBwK.png
ThJZzvi.png
YHYEV2Q.gif

You are vastly overreacting. A few titles here and there with some questionable stuff in it.

Calling everything woke is ruining peoples brains.

Calling everything a rightwing extremist or women hating thing is ruining peoples brains.

On both sides of the camp there seem to be morons who take everything too seriously and cannot see past that. For some, every black dude or white lesbian is woke. For some, everyone against that is an extremist women hating racist.

Get a fucking grip already Internet.

I know you wont agree with me though. Cant even argue with these people.

Also, explain how they are 'killing the industry'? As opposed to what?

In my work I have to report on ‘social procurement’ and it’s nearly impossible to meet the requirements so you take ANYONE who meets the criteria.

Ravi_elite

Banned
This company keeps continously trying to kill its own franchise

This game is definitely woke
It is trying to shove an agenda down our throats

You can say sr1 sold the worst all you want..but sr1 was only on the 360 and not on ps3 or PC

sants row reboot is trash, their new website is also trash

The saints row 1 community will thrive years after this
https://tha-row.net
https://discord.gg/E33vpWeY

Last edited:

EDMIX

Its not a day 1 for me just based on timing, but 100% picking it up later this year. The more I see, the more I want to play that story lol I have it on my list of games to buy for black friday deals

edit. anyone upset on how it looks, I personally like that it looks like some 360 era game and crazy over the top open world chaos shit is going on. Not looking for anything to reinvent the wheel, just want a solid title.

Last edited:

Soltype

I recently watched a podcast with the creative director and the writer of the reboot, I get the feeling that they were forced to make the game "contemporary". A lot of the people working on this game have been at volition for years, and I can't see them putting something out like this with a straight face, it feels too corporate.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I just can't get over cringe worthy the main cast is.

I'll take bland over cringe any time of the day - and it has nothing to do with "representation", saint row has always had representation in spades, although from a modern point of view that representation is probably viewed as "problematic".

Dr.Morris79

I recently watched a podcast with the creative director and the writer of the reboot, I get the feeling that they were forced to make the game "contemporary". A lot of the people working on this game have been at volition for years, and I can't see them putting something out like this with a straight face, it feels too corporate.
KPe2Mya.gif

RavageX

Perhaps they started doing drugs. I personally thought it was a whole different crew behind this game. Do you mean years as in "the original SR1 and SR2" or do you mean years as in "SR3 and forward"? I consider that different too....somewhere between 2 and 3 the right people must have left. I mean, you go from silly fun gameplay with a somewhat decent story to TOO silly gameplay with a story thats just an excuse to have crazy shit in a game. If they wanted to do that, just make a different game, it might be accepted better.

EDMIX

I mean, you go from silly fun gameplay with a somewhat decent story to TOO silly gameplay with a story thats just an excuse to have crazy shit in a game.

Some are saying they toned down the crazy shit that happened in the series...now we hear a take on that its "too silly" in gameplay.

The silly open world game that does silly open world shit should stop? I don't know about all that lol This sounds right up there with what they've been doing with this ip tbh.

DeaDPo0L84

Anyone here actually have the game and can comment if it does indeed like some feared have a bunch of woke bs? Am I gonna have to choose pronouns and shit when making my character or hear about nonbinary gang bangers?

Last edited:

RavageX

Some are saying they toned down the crazy shit that happened in the series...now we hear a take on that its "too silly" in gameplay.

The silly open world game that does silly open world shit should stop? I don't know about all that lol This sounds right up there with what they've been doing with this ip tbh.
I'm personally talking about the ones after 2 and before this one. Silly for me is involving dinosaur stuff, aliens, rip-off matrix stuff, things along those lines.

EDMIX

I'm personally talking about the ones after 2 and before this one. Silly for me is involving dinosaur stuff, aliens, rip-off matrix stuff, things along those lines.

well that is true.

I didn't play the first, but remember the 3rd and 4th where they had the main character as The President or something lol I think with the likes of GTA V's online, Fortnite, maybe they feel the fucking crazier, the better.

Maybe a more serious one they feel might be off putting or something or not mesh well with the younger generation. I feel that based on many comments regarding this game, I don't know if it can go in either direction and not get bashed by some. Looking back at the first game, to do something like that, but with today's culture might come off cringey, corny and people would still scream "woke" when the first game seems to be taking from exactly what was going on during that exact time with gangs, clothing, big chains, baggy paints lol

To make one with skinny jeans, yeezys, autotone and twitter beefs would be called out or bashed too. Maybe many are remember it with some deep nostalgia and to make one today that mirrors the exact concepts in the first might resonate with todays generation, yet not the original Saints Row fans.

So I don't know where they take this series to please everyone.

RavageX

Anyone here actually have the game and can comment if it does indeed like some feared have a bunch of woke bs? Am I gonna have to choose pronouns and shit when making my character or hear about nonbinary gang bangers?

I don't know if I'd call it woke, but to me you can't call these people a gang in any sense of the series. Makes me think of pro wrestling these days. Compared to the old days up to maybe the 90s, you have people who looked the part and some who were legit tough. Now you have people who neither look the part or are tough and make a mockery of what pro wrestling used to be.

A lot of games feel that way to me now, I can't explain it very well. They are missing something that makes them feel unique. You always hear about how a game is a love letter to another game instead of trying their own thing, or "soulslike" or roguelike" , battle royales that are the same thing as the other game with literally just a different skin. All it really is now, the next thing to catch attention to get rich before everyone moves on. How to get "influencers" to showcase your game.

You see it all the time with indies, that's why I hate most of them. Crafting for the sake of having it in a game to say your game has it to make it seem "deep". Stories that just drift off into nonsense because no one focuses on that first. "Retro" graphics because they are too damn lazy to learn to do better(maybe that's not the reason, but it feels like it).

I don't know guys, maybe I expect too much.

Soltype

Perhaps they started doing drugs. I personally thought it was a whole different crew behind this game. Do you mean years as in "the original SR1 and SR2" or do you mean years as in "SR3 and forward"? I consider that different too....somewhere between 2 and 3 the right people must have left. I mean, you go from silly fun gameplay with a somewhat decent story to TOO silly gameplay with a story thats just an excuse to have crazy shit in a game. If they wanted to do that, just make a different game, it might be accepted better.
True, one of the people they were interviewing has been there since saints 2. I will admit 3 and 4 we're too silly, but this game feels banal.

True, one of the people they were interviewing has been there since saints 2. I will admit 3 and 4 we're too silly, but this game feels banal.
It sounds like they're old enough to have children who are probably teens at this point. That could have played a big part in the contemporary change. Regardless, Soltype Soltype which podcast was it? I'd like to check it out.

Top Bottom