• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Peter Parker face in Spider-Man Remastered is still terrible

Hugare

I'm replaying the game right now for the first time on the PS5, and yeah, it kinda sucks

It's like replacing an actor for another, so obviously its jarring. And its bad.

Most of the game Peter is wearing a mask, but he isnt wearing one during all the emotional moments obviously.

This new one looks too young and too "clean". Old Peter looks older and more like a man who cant pay his bills and havent slept in a while. Fits the character much better.

This Peter have been Spiderman for the past 8 years. Would you believe that this new Peter has seen shit and fought bad guys for 8 years when looking at him? He looks almost greener than Miles .

They also havent done all the motion capture again and etc, so the new model lacks expression. During the end of the game, where shit gets real, it gets noticeable.

PS: you guys believing that Insomniac changed it to "better fit Yuri Lowenthal's face structure" are gullible af. Yuri doesnt have the face of a 15 years old boy. Come the fuck on.

They havent changed any other character model thats going to be present in the sequel, like Miles or MJ.

It was obviously changed to better resemble Tom Holland's Spiderman.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

why they change the model ? does anyone know?
This does bring us to one of the bigger changes. In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri’s moving performances take on a new life.

Last edited:

Mato

I haven't played the game but he looks far better in the remaster. He looks like he suffers from some Benjamin Button disease in the original.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
1st guy looked weird but matched the style of how others looked in the game, new Peter stands out like from another game. Should have redone them all.

Dear Developers,

When designing your characters based on real person, please ensure that they are worth looking at in the first place.

I pay for fantasy, not nightmares.

Horror games excluded.

Thanks.

Hunnybun

I think it's far better. He looks like an actual human being in the remaster. The original was distractingly fake looking.

Yeah he always looked weird to me. There was something off about that model. I don't particularly love the new one either, but it does at least look more like a real dude.

Kev Kev

theyre both horrible tbh

i kind of want games to get away from trying to be so cinematic. just o with top down camera, or keep things third person, but no more of this zooming into faces and having cinematic cut scenes with dialogue stuff. it just doesnt look good and takes me out of the experience more than it adds to it. i love how half life kept everything first person and the cut scenes would just feel like part of the gameplay, or a whole level in itself like when you first meet alyx before ravenholm

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Fuck this guys face!!111!

Nah I don't mind that much.

Yeah my flatmate was annoyed at that change when we played MM, I don't know why but I just don't really care that much. Faces could change every few games for me and I don't think I'd mind, as long as the design itself is good. Thats hyperbolic of course but I'm used to massive difference from early gens to now, like MGS 1 Snake to MGS 5 Snake. I know that tech limits rather than art differences but its in a similiar ballpark for me.

Having said that, this redesign is worse than the old one for me, I prefer the original. So while I don't think this is terrible I wish they'd just reworked the skeleton/muscles of the old face to map to the VAs face more accurately

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

No idea about this one, but who they based there characters on had some "intresting choices". My favourite was Black Cat for example.

Black_Cat_from_MSM_render.png

Yep they decided to base Black Cat on this intresting character (who happens to be a writer for them).

Honestly they probably just wanted it to sort of look like the Disney version and have people buy into it based on that.

Black Cats face model is not Sam Maggs,its Jayme Lynn Evans
7pu6ku92p0u11.png

PuF3Et2.jpeg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah he always looked weird to me. There was something off about that model. I don't particularly love the new one either, but it does at least look more like a real dude.

I think it was the proportions of the face - and really, his head overall. It just doesn't look like a natural human head or facial layout.

Fbh

The original wasn't great (looked a bit awkward) but the new one is worse.

He looks too much like Tom Holland but not quite the same, so you get that MCU impersonator vibe just like in the Avengers game. And he also looks like 5 years younger now which doesn't fit.
Now MJ looks like she is dating a high school kid.

The new face is too young, but there's also the problem o the facial animation.
They didn't had the time to do or redo the facial expressions properly, it's clearly inferior and less expressive than the original that they had much more time to work on.

somesang

Original face was garbage. Even then, I cared very little. New face is just the age slider all the way to the left. Personally, I feel like the outrage should be on Miles' body model. It always felt off to me for some reason.

stranno

They should bring it to PC and someone has to do a mod with this face sticked on top. Or at least a wearable mask.

tobey-maguire-crying-spider-man.jpg

Top Bottom