• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new "Crash" mode on Burnout Revenge.

TeTr1C

What do you guys think about it?

After I played the first few Crash courses, I didn't think it was as good as Burnout 3's Crash mode. Then as I got into it more, the courses are set up A LOT crazier than BO3, obviously. I don't like how you can see the framerate slowdown while playing Crash, or how it's like miniature golf now though...I don't like the boost thing in the beginning that much either. However, I do think that as you're flying off ramps into the air, the wind resistance and how everything gets blurry is awesome. There are so many more explosions too, and they look really good.

Thoughts?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I feel as if I must have missed something with BO2...

I played a lot of it, but the game never clicked. It felt very empty to me. The races were long and often dull and the crash mode was incredibly simple. What was it that made crash mode so good?

atomsk said:
still not as good as 2

PanopticBlue said:
Crash mode began and ended with BO2. End of story.

Agreed.

dark10x said:
What was it that made crash mode so good?

It's mainly the multiplayer crash that I have a problem with. Playing crash mode with friends in Burnout 2 was far superior. You could input your initials and compare records easily, which made for great competition.

Rlan

I'm with dark10x. I bought Burnout 2 after playing and loving Burnout 3, and was HUGELY dissapointed :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's mainly the multiplayer crash that I have a problem with. Playing crash mode with friends in Burnout 2 was far superior. You could input your initials and compare records easily, which made for great competition.
I did play this in multiplayer, but it still didn't do much for me.

I actually recall the initial thing being annoying to the point where we just used a generic name in order to avoid entering a new one each time. It was in the way. It's not as if keeping track of your performance was difficult...

With BO3, though, I actually played through single player with a friend. Whenever we got together, we'd work on getting through it. Taking turns on tough events and generally having a blast with it. Completed the game 100%, actually.

dark10x said:
I did play this in multiplayer, but it still didn't do much for me.

I actually recall the initial thing being annoying to the point where we just used a generic name in order to avoid entering a new one each time. It was in the way. It's not as if keeping track of your performance was difficult...

With BO3, though, I actually played through single player with a friend. Whenever we got together, we'd work on getting through it. Taking turns on tough events and generally having a blast with it. Completed the game 100%, actually.

I never really thought it was in the way, as was just an extra button push if you didn't want to enter your name (it would default to the last name entered).

It's not difficult to keep track of your own performance in Burnout 3, but it definitely was when there were four of us competing in crash mode. After playing for a while, there's no way to remember who scored what, especially after a week or so has passed. Which is why we always go back to Burnout 2. The crash mode in BO3 and Revenge is fun, but only for single player.

dark10x said:

I'm sure that would be fun, and I wouldn't have a problem with that. But it's totally different with four-player competitive competition (crash mode), where we would try to beat each other's records for weeks on end, IMO. For everything else, I do think BO3 and Revenge is a great improvement from 2.

I like the new crash mode, but it doesnt have that same savage feeling that 2 and 3 had to it. It seems slow by comparison. I dont like the rewind camera everytime you select retry, I just want it to restart quick like before.

Outside of that, I love it. The meter start adds an interesting wrinkle to things, and I love how there are mulitple ways to attack a section now and it is larger and multitiered. It adds room for improvosation and creativity. Now if only they would bring back the savage speed of the pile ups of 2 and 3 instead of having me wait five minutes for much to happen.

Top Bottom