• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new and fancy Game of the Year 2021 (so far) thread

Game of the Year 2021 (so far)

• Age of Empires IV

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Back 4 Blood

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Battlefield 2042

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Call of Duty Vanguard

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Death's Door

• Deathloop

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Diablo II: Resurrected

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Far Cry 6

• Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 95 38.3%
  • Guilty Gear Strive

• Hitman 3

• It Takes Two

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Metroid Dread

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Monster Hunter Rise

• Nier Replicant V.1.22474487139...

• Persona 5 Strikers

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Resident Evil Village

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • Returnal

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Tales of Arise

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

surprised by fh5 votes. It's the same game as 4. Random race, big event, random races, big event.
Cringe festival, cringe characters talking all the time.
Not like gotys are known for their originality, or lack of cringeness.
If anything, the game fits right up the alley of typical goty awards. Famous IP or famous developer, popular, high production budget, formula thats anything but original, some light pandering here and there as of recent years... i honestly wouldn't be surprised if this actually won goty.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Kena is magic.

I'm really impressed by FH5 not gonna lie, but Kena is something else. Age of Empires 4 is also special but I've been too busy to give it a real slice of time so i can't vote for it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Wow, looks like I dont play new games these days

Haven't touched a single game on the list

I'm voting for Diablo 2 since I know the OG was kino

buffy the vampire slayer popcorn GIF

I like to watch ;-)
Kena is definitely worth it! A few rough edges in a studio debut game and a bit of hammy voice acting (one of the deep-voiced npc guides sounds like a beneficent saint, voicing a car commercial), but it's legit .. lots of content.. pretty cool, it morphs between linear levels and more open world places, it's very challenging.. the music is amazing (Indonesian gamelan orchestra like Akira), the combat is satisfying.. collecting the Rot blobs is satisfying... it's got *drumroll* metroidvania aspects that reward moving through areas you've cleared - literally, you clear these forests of corruption and they're so beautiful it feels like an achievement... yup.

I know you didn't ask for a post like this lol but i remember you liked Golden Sun and stuff and, yep just giving it a plug.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I had hoped Dread would be my pick but I'll have to go with hitman 3 since I be able to play SMTV or NMH3 until next year.

tommib

Very happy with the results so far with Horizon, Returnal, Dread and Psychonauts 2 dominating. Faith in humanity restored.

Note: Elden Ring Network Test should be on the list. It’s also missing No More Heroes 3.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

tommib

Don’t listen to Elliot, Daywarf. For graphical adventure fans those are 2 fine games with high production budgets for the genre and can totally be someone’s GOTY. The Medium would make my top 10 for sure just for the visuals and overall mood and 12 minutes has all the right film references on its sleeve. They’re good games.

Mozzarella

Is there a predication thread for Nominations, they are on Tuesday.
My GOTY is maybe RE Village lol, i havent played a lot of games this year, But Metroid Dread comes close.
I still need to play Psychonauts 2, Deathloop and Returnal.

mxbison

I guess for me it's between Ratchet & Clank, Psychonauts 2, and It Takes Two.

Haven't played Tales of Arise yet. Also looking forward to Halo Infinite but I don't play online so only the campaign.

Weakest year ever for me.

EDMIX

What a shit year...

No wonder I fallen back completely to FF14.

Its not the worst year ever, but its not the best either.

Soooooo many delays.

Resident Evil VIII and Battlefield might be the only titles I really cared about this, I'm sure I'll play a lot on the list in the next couple years and I'm sure they are fine games, but could have been was much more epic. Rona done fucked up so much I'm sure many games have been pushed back in terms of reveals that we don't even know about yet.

Dolodolo

Returnal should win this year.
Housemarque essentially brought an entire genre back from the dead, and it did it with a bang.

Or let Psychonauts 2 win. The first one was great. And the second is even better.

For some reason, people vote for the race, which has practically not changed from the third part, except for the location and the technical part. Why didn't you have the same fervor in 2018?)

Roufianos

Metroid Dread for me. Nice to finally dust off the Switch.

Mass Effect LE is the most fun I've had with any game this year though. Been a terrible 12 months, especially the first half.

GymWolf

Dying light 2 is gonna beat all of these games for my taste most probably.

Fist forged in furryland for indies.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I really enjoyed Resident Evil 8, Deathloop, and Guardians of The Galaxy. This is will likely end up being my top 3 unless Halo Infinite will really blow my socks off.

Forza Horizon 5 is also pretty good but honestly, it's just a reskin of the games that they've been putting out for years now. I get that it's a formula that works but there's just too little innovation in it.

Ellery

I wonder what this year could've been without COVID. It is kind of a very weak year (in terms of 10/10 singleplayer gigabombs that basically every year has at least 1 or 2 of). There are some decent 8/10 games out there and for me the choices were probably between Ratchet and Clank, Forza, Resident Evil 8, Returnal and It Takes Two being the winner, because that game is so much fun to play with your mate.

Still have to play Metroid Dread and AoE 4 so I can't fully comment on all of those games sadly.

Not a bad year to play a lot of games, but a bad year to play games that stay with you forever.

CeeJay

surprised by fh5 votes. It's the same game as 4. Random race, big event, random races, big event.
Cringe festival, cringe characters talking all the time
It's the drought, The game would not be so hype any other year. It's a good game but not goty for me
You can distil pretty much any game down to "Random level, cut-scene, spend xp..." rinse and repeat.

FH is a racing game, of course it's going to have race after race and I'll add easily the most diverse set of races in any racing game i've played. Sure it might be very similar to previous entries but it is the best one so far and there are a lot of people I know that haven't touched racing let alone Forza before who are enjoying it. I get it that you don't like it but surely it's not that difficult to see why it's getting so much attention.

Chivalry 2 was robbed.

Voted for Ratchet and It Takes Two because they're the only games I've played from the list. Two great games.

Still intend to play Psychonauts, Returnal and Kena.

So many games, so little time.

Was it really that good? I heard lots of good things but don't really have the time to sink into a RPG

It's not an RPG it's a multiplayer game but it's a blast yeah. Check out a review or something to give you a feel for the game, it sits at 82 on opencritic so it reviewed pretty well.

EDMIX

It's not an RPG it's a multiplayer game but it's a blast yeah. Check out a review or something to give you a feel for the game, it sits at 82 on opencritic so it reviewed pretty well.

oh really? I know why I kept thinking it was some MMORPG type thing lol

Alpha Male

Battlefield
Forza Horizon
Far Cry

It's quite simple for me...I'm a YUGE fan of all 3 and I feel that the latest entry for each game is as good -if not better - than they have always been.

I will most likely be adding Halo to this list. It will be interesting to see this poll after Halo is released.

Top Bottom